Box Office: Will Wolf Warriors 2 Top Star Wars ($937m)?

Will Wolf Warriors 2 ($769m+) top The Force Awakens ($937m)?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 1

Postby MrRager » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:17 am

Dunkirk is about to destroy everything! Already 98 on RT :o
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby Rihab » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:07 am

I can't wait to see Dunkirk (and Valerian lol). So many people loving it has got me even more excited.
Rihab
Legend

Postby MrRager » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:51 am

Theo - What are you studying at uni? Alice wants to know :wink:

Is Dunkirk a success?
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:07 am

MrRager wrote:Theo - What are you studying at uni? Alice wants to know :wink:

Is Dunkirk a success?
Everything!!! :lol: I'm trying to see if I can triple major right now. Business, Criminal Justice, and PPE (Politics, Philosophy, and Economics). PPE shares classes with the other two majors so it is really, more like 2.4 majors rather than a full on 3. I'm also aiming to get a minor in Japanese. For the last 6 weeks I have been taking a super intensive first year Japanese Summer class. That's why I haven't posted much lately. :lol:

Does Alice have Instagram? Tell him to hit me up @theodorerichert (you can see I put a lot of thought into my usernames :lol: ). I keep meaning to try and get in touch with him via. that Telegraph thingy, but every time I think of it I'm so busy with class I don't have time to talk. RIP :( (I'm actually not complaining. I really love all of my classes so far. 8-) )

Dunkirk is doing great. It doesn't look like it will break major records, but that was never expected for a real life war movie. It will probably be the most successful war movie since Saving Private Ryan when all is said and done. 8-)
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:18 am

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:Box Office: 'Dunkirk' Conquers Competition With $50.5M Debut; 'Valerian' Bombs

Warner Bros.' 'Dunkirk' isn't the only win of the weekend as Universal's female-centric 'Girls Trip' breaks the R-rated comedy curse, opening to $30.4 million.

Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk stormed the box office with a better-than-expected $50.5 million domestic debut, the best opening in recent memory for a World War II film and a testament to the Nolan brand.

Overseas, the critically acclaimed film also impressed, earning $55.4 million from its first 46 markets and placing No. 1 everywhere for a global assault of $105.9 million. The U.K., where Nolan is from, led with $12.4 million, followed by South Korea with $10.3 million.

Still, Dunkirk will need sizable staying power in order to recoup a net production budget of $100 million and a major marketing spend. Nolan made the movie for Warner Bros., his longtime partner and home of his blockbuster Dark Knight trilogy. Dunkirk, playing in 3,720 locations, no doubt benefited from a major push in Imax theaters, which delivered $11.7 million, or 23 percent of the total gross. Dunkirk also played on a number of retrofitted 70mm screens.

Heading into the weekend, many box-office pundits predicted that Dunkirk would have trouble crossing $40 million, considering its subject matter. They readily admit they were wrong. In addition to strong reviews, Dunkirk earned an A- CinemaScore from audiences. It skewed heavily male (60 percent), while 76 percent of all ticket buyers were over the age of 25.

It was a bold move to open a war drama in summer, when more commercial fare is the norm, including Nolan's two Dark Knight tentpoles. "There is something special about this late July and August playtime. We really have nothing in front of us," says Warner Bros. domestic distribution president Jeff Goldstein. "Chris Nolan has pedigree. His audience is always anticipating his next movie. We're proud to be part of that."

Dunkirk opened on par with Nolan's last film, Interstellar, which launched to nearly $50 million in November 2014. The Dark Knight Rises (2012) was his biggest opening ($160.9 million), followed by 2008's The Dark Knight ($158.4 million), 2005's Batman Begins ($73 million, including a three-day weekend of $48.7 million) and 2010's Inception ($62.8 million).

Recounting one of World War II's most famous battles, Dunkirk stars Fionn Whitehead, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy, Tom Hardy, Jack Lowden and One Direction's Harry Styles, who makes his acting debut in the movie, much to the delight of fans, who made their presence known at the film's London and New York premieres.

Among other relatively recent World War II films, Angelina Jolie's Unbroken debuted to $30.6 million in December 2014, while Fury launched to $23.7 million in November of that same year. Last year, Mel Gibson's Hacksaw Ridge bowed to $15.2 million.

Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan (1998) remains the top-grossing World War II movie of all time domestically, earning $216.5 million (or $404.4 million when adjusting for inflation). The film opened to $31 million (or $57.6 million when accounting for inflation).

Elsewhere at the North American box office, Universal's Girls Trip broke the R-rated comedy curse in debuting to $30.4 million from 2,591 theaters. That's the best showing in two years for the genre and helps to make up for summer flops Rough Night and The House. Like Dunkirk, Girls Trip came in ahead of expectations.

The comedy — which nabbed a coveted A+ CinemaScore and placed a strong No. 2 — stars Regina Hall, Tiffany Haddish, Jada Pinkett Smith and Queen Latifah as lifelong friends who go to New Orleans for a raunchy weekend of fun. Malcolm D. Lee directed and produced alongside producer Will Packer.

Girls Trip was made for roughly $20 million, a modest amount compared to the budgets for Dunkirk and the weekend's third new nationwide release, French filmmaker Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Valerian, a sci-fi epic costing $180 million, crash-landed in the U.S. with a $17 million bow from 3,553 theaters. STX Entertainment is releasing the movie domestically via its partnership with Besson's EuropaCorp, but doesn't have any money in the film. Nor did STX pay for marketing, according to insiders.

Valerian, which received a B- CinemaScore, is based on the French graphic novel series and stars Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne as celestial cops who must travel through space and time in order to save the universe.

The ambitious film hopes to make up ground overseas, where it grossed $6.5 million from its first 16 markets. Germany was the only major territory.

In North America, Besson's pic came in No. 5 behind Dunkirk, Girls Trip and holdovers Spider-Man: Homecoming and War for the Planet of the Apes. Sony and Marvel's Spider-Man pic took in an estimated $22 million in its third outing for a domestic total of $252 million. Matt Reeves' Planet of the Apes threequel tumbled 64 percent in its second weekend to $20.4 million for a 10-day total of $97.8 million for 20th Century Fox.

Among other holdovers, Universal and Illumination Entertainment's Despicable Me 3 passed the $200 million mark at the domestic box office and $700 million globally, while Warner Bros.' Wonder Woman has eclipsed Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ($386 million) to become the top-grossing film of summer in North America and the second-biggest title of the year to date behind Beauty and the Beast with a total of $389 million. Wonder Woman's global haul stands at $779.4 million.

At the specialty box office, filmmaker Gillian Robespierre's Landline opened to muted numbers for Amazon Studios and Magnolia Pictures. The indie dramedy, which premiered in January at the Sundance Film Festival, grossed an estimated $52,000 from four theaters for a screen average of $13,000.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... bs-1023700
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:23 am

I like how in the poll almost everyone believed in Wonder Woman. Only one person voted no. 8-) Well as of last weekend WW topped Gaurdians and is now the biggest hit of the summer. Cool, cool, cool. And congrats to both films! 8-) Both are pretty terrific!
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Drewer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:02 am

I saw Dunkirk yesterday and really blowww my mind!
Its sublime.
Drewer
Roadie

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:51 am

Drewer wrote:I saw Dunkirk yesterday and really blowww my mind!
Its sublime.
Yeah, it's amazing! I really thought you could tell right from the first couple minutes just how lovingly crafted it was. Every camera angle is a work of art. :cry:
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:33 am

Everyone go watch Dunkirk!!!
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:49 pm

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:Weekend Box Office: 'Annabelle: Creation' Scares Off August Blues With $35M

Still, it's another down weekend at the box office as 'The Nut Job 2' misses and holdovers like 'The Dark Tower' and 'Detroit' continue to flail.

Moviegoers like playing with dolls — or at least menacing ones.

Warner Bros./New Line's R-rated prequel Annabelle: Creation conjured up a pleasing $35 million from 3,502 theaters in its domestic box-office debut, more than enough to scare off the competition even as it came in somewhat behind the previous three films in the successful Conjuring horror franchise.

Overall, it was another sluggish weekend at the North American box office, with revenue down more than 30 percent from the same frame last year as new animated offering The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature did muted business and holdovers including The Dark Tower and Detroit continued to struggle. Summer to date is now 12 percent down from the same frame in 2016, while year to date is down 4 percent.

Directed by David F. Sandberg, Annabelle: Creation follows a doll maker and his wife who, after losing their little girl, welcome a nun and several girls from a shuttered orphanage into their home. But they soon become the target of the doll maker's possessed creation, Annabelle. Females made up the majority of the audience (52 percent), while a full 46 percent of ticket buyers were under the age of 25.

In summer 2016, The Conjuring 2 opened to $40.4 million on its way to grossing $320.3 million globally. Annabelle, a spinoff, debuted to $37.1 million in 2014, while The Conjuring took in $41.9 million in 2013.

"We would have been happy to hit $30 million, considering the sluggish marketplace," says Warners domestic distribution president Jeff Goldstein.

The horror pic marks another summer win for Warner Bros. after Wonder Woman and Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk, which remained a formidable force in its fourth weekend, placing No. 2 with $11.4 million and crossing the $150 million mark in North America — no small accomplishment for a World War II drama relying on an older audience. Dunkirk earned another $14.5 million offshore for a foreign tally of $210 million and $363.6 million worldwide to date.

Annabelle: Creation is also impressing overseas, where it took in $35 million from 39 markets for an early foreign cume of $36.7 million and global tally of $71.7 million. It is doing big business abroad, including in South Korea ($6.6 million), where the box office doesn't seem affected by the ongoing war of words between North Korea and the Trump administration.

The horror pic placed second internationally behind China box-office sensation Wolf Warrior 2, which grossed as much as $83 million for a record-breaking total of at least $680 million in the Middle Kingdom and $685 million in total, according to comScore.

Elsewhere in North America, Open Road's animated sequel The Nut Job 2 debuted in third place with $8.9 million from 4,003 theaters — less than half the $19.4 million collected by The Nut Job in January 2014.

Nut Job 2 rolled out in theaters just days after Tang Media announced it is acquiring Open Road from AMC Entertainment and Regal Entertainment. The sequel, directed by Cal Brunker, follows a group of animals trying to stop their serene park from being turned into an amusement venture. The voice cast features Will Arnett, Maya Rudolph, Jackie Chan and Katherine Heigl.

Sony's The Dark Tower fell from No. 1 to No. 4 in its second outing with $7.9 million for a disappointing 10-day domestic total of $34.3 million.

Universal's Girls Trip, one of the more successful live-action comedies in recent times, rounded out the top five with $6.5 million for a domestic total of $97.2 million. The R-rated pic — which also took in $8.4 million overseas over the weekend for a worldwide tally of $105.6 million — is all but assured of soon crossing the $100 million mark in North America, just as Edgar Wright's Baby Driver did over the weekend in a victory for Sony.

Outside of the top five, Lionsgate's adaptation of Jeannette Walls' best-selling memoir about her harrowing childhood, The Glass Castle, placed No. 9, according to early estimates.

The drama opened in far fewer theaters than its rivals (1,461 locations), grossing an estimated $4.9 million. Brie Larson, who reunited with her Short Term 12 director Destin Daniel Cretton, plays Walls in the film, while Woody Harrelson plays Walls' alcoholic father Rex and Naomi Watts portrays her mother. Glass Castle, which earned an A- CinemaScore, skewed heavily female (80 percent).

Annapurna Pictures' Detroit, directed by Kathryn Bigelow, tumbled 58 percent in its second weekend to $3 million for a domestic total of $13.4 million and fell to No. 13.

Al Gore's climate documentary An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power is likewise having trouble finding its footing. The follow-up, from Paramount and Participant Media, earned $800,000 as it expanded into a total of 556 theaters over the weekend for a domestic cume of $2.3 million.

The big headline at the specialty box office was director/writer Matt Spicer's Ingrid Goes West, which opened to $141,216 from three theaters for a screen average of $47,072, the best of the weekend. From Neon, the dramedy stars Aubrey Plaza as an obsessive young woman who moves to Los Angeles to pursue a social media influencer. Elizabeth Olsen and Billy Magnussen also star.

The Weinstein Co.'s Wind River also posted a strong location average of $14,268 as it moved into 45 theaters in its sophomore outing for an early domestic total of $870,285.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a ... 5m-1029083
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:06 pm

That Wolf Warriors 2 Chinese box-office gross is just nuts! :o I wonder it might top $800m there, but Chinese box-office is almost impossible to predict, so who knows...
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby TIfan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:19 pm

Omg!!!!!
TIfan
Legend

Postby Theodorerichert » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 pm

TIfan wrote:Omg!!!!!
Yeah! It's pretty shocking!
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:05 pm

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:Weekend Box Office: 'Hitman's Bodyguard' Mows Down 'Logan Lucky' With $21.6M

Neither film, however, could stop domestic summer revenue from continuing to fall as Hollywood and theater owners endured the lowest-grossing weekend of the year to date.

In a blow for returning director Steven Soderbergh, his star-studded heist pic Logan Lucky was mowed down at the domestic box office by The Hitman's Bodyguard despite rapturous reviews.

Hitman's Bodyguard also doesn't lack for star power in its two leading men, Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson. Lionsgate's action comedy debuted to a better-than-expected $21.6 million from 3,377 theaters to easily top the weekend box-office chart, although it couldn't do anything to stop overall summer revenue from continuing to tumble as Hollywood and theater owners endured the lowest-grossing weekend of the year to date.

Critics snubbed Hitman's Bodyguard, while audiences gave the R-rated pic a B+ CinemaScore. Directed by Patrick Hughes (The Expendables 3), the action comedy tells the story of a world-renowned bodyguard (Reynolds) who must protect an infamous hitman (Jackson) who is scheduled to testify. The movie drew its fair share of females (48 percent).

Logan Lucky placed third with an estimated $8.1 million from 3,301 theaters, the lowest nationwide start of Soderbergh's career behind the 2002 space odyssey Solaris ($6.7 million) and the lowest when adjusting for inflation. The filmmaker made the $29 million heist comedy outside the Hollywood studio system by relying on a combination of foreign presales and equity, while raising another $20 million for marketing so as to retain tight control of how the PG-13 pic was sold. Indie distributor Bleecker Street distributed the pic on behalf of Soderbergh's Fingerprint Releasing.

Starring Channing Tatum, Adam Driver, Daniel Craig, Riley Keough, Seth MacFarlane, Katie Holmes and Hilary Swank, Logan Lucky follows two brothers (Tatum and Driver) as they attempt to pull off a heist during a NASCAR race in North Carolina.

The film — Soderbergh's first in four years after his previously announced retirement — boasts a stellar 93 percent fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but audiences were notably less enthusiastic, giving it a B grade.

No other new movies opened nationwide. Total revenue for the weekend is roughly $94 million-$95 million, behind Super Bowl weekend ($99 million).

Among holdovers, Warner Bros./New Line's Annabelle: Creation came in a strong No. 2 with $15.5 million in its second weekend for a domestic total of $64 million. It declined 56 percent, an unusually good hold for a horror title. Overseas, Annabelle 2 earned conjured up $42 million from 56 markets, enough to beat China blockbuster Wolf Warrior 2 ($36 million), which has amassed a record-shattering $772 million since debuting earlier this month, the majority of which it has earned in China, according to comScore. Annabelle 2's global cume stands at $160.7 million.

Warner Bros. and Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk is still going strong, placing No. 4 with $6.7 million for a domestic total of $165.5 million and a global haul of $392.7 million. And in a third win for the studio, Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman cleared the $800 million mark at the global box office, including $404 million domestically. (Disney and Marvel's summer superhero tentpole Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. II is still ahead worldwide with $862.1 million.)

Open Road's The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature fell to No. 5 in its second outing, earning $5.1 million for a 10-day domestic total of $17.7 million.

At the specialty box office, the news was grim for filmmaker Geremy Jasper's Sundance Film Festival sensation Patti Cakes$, which opened to $66,000 from 14 theaters for a screen average of $4,714. Fox Searchlight acquired the suburban rapper comedy for $9.5 million following a heated bidding war at Sundance in January.

The Weinstein Co.'s Wind River moved into the top 10 as it expanded into a total of 694 locations, grossing $3 million for a location average of $4,359 and an early domestic total of $4.1 million.

Ingrid Goes West and Good Time both continued to impress in their sophomore outings. From Neon, the comedy-drama Ingrid earned $265,567 from 26 cinemas for a screen average of $10,214 and a cume of $438,685. And A24's crime drama Good Time upped its theater count to 20, earning $173,000 for a screen average of $8,652 and a 10-day total of $349,007.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/w ... ky-1031088
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:22 pm

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:China Box Office: 'Wolf Warrior 2' Becomes Second-Biggest Single-Market Film Ever After 'Force Awakens'

The Chinese juggernaut climbed to $769 million and nudged aside 'Avatar' in the single-territory charts, with only 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' having earned more from one territory.

Wolf Warrior 2 devoured the competition for a fourth consecutive weekend at the Chinese box office.

The runaway action phenomenon, starring and directed by Wu Jing, added $35.7 million, lifting its local total to an astonishing $768.5 million after 25 days. The blockbuster also climbed higher in the all-time record books, nudging aside Avatar ($760.5 million) to become the second-biggest film ever in a single market. Only Star Wars: The Force Awakens earned more from one territory (($936.7 million, North America).

Hong Kong-Chinese genre vehicle Paradox — the third film in Wilson Yip's SPL action franchise — came closest to unseating Wolf Warriors to date, earning $31.6 million from Friday to Sunday. The crime film, which stars Louis Koo and Thailand's Tony Jaa, opened Thursday and actually topped Wolf Warriors on its first two days. But it quickly fell far behind on Saturday and Sunday to finished the weekend in second place. The film's Thursday-to-Sunday debut totaled $41.4 million, just a notch below the $43.4 million four-day opening of its predecessor, SPL II: A Time for Consequences (2015).

Twenty Two, a documentary about the lives of the last surviving Chinese women who experienced forced prostitution at the hands of the Japanese military during WWII, opened Monday (Aug. 14) with just $610,000. But heavy buzz on social media helped the film expand throughout the week, lifting it to third for the weekend with $9 million. By Sunday, Twenty Two's six-day total sat at $18.6 million — an uncommonly strong showing for a nonfiction film in China.

Other new releases included iQiyi Pictures' animated franchise title Seer Movie 6: Invincible Puni, which opened in fourth with $9.3 million, just ahead of Tencent's animated sequel One Hundred Thousand Bad Jokes 2 at $8.6 million.

China's annual policy of blocking Hollywood releases during the late-summer blockbuster season — known locally as "domestic film industry protection month" — will come to a close this week when Luc Besson's Valerian, Disney's Cars 3 and Sony's Baby Driver open simultaneously Friday.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/c ... ns-1031143
Theodorerichert
Manager

Return to Movies