IT [2017]

Postby AussiePopStar8 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:44 pm

I think anyone going in expecting this new imagining to be "more like the book" will be shocked/surprised/disappointed/intrigued.
It's definitely a completely different beast from everything that's come before while also hitting important plot points.
I think the darker tone really works but I think they could have built the suspense a little more for each child's initial run in with "It".
Some were good others felt like they were rushing to tick things off to further the story.
The kids were all great but if they're going to be included in Part 2 they'll need to hurry because some of them already looked a little older than they should be.
I don't know if bringing the story forward to the 80's really brought anything to integral and the group as a whole felt a little less innocent then the miniseries Losers club.
I think I'm gonna have to go a 2nd time to really soak everything in but Pennywise was a lot more predatory and Bill should be commended.
Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...
AussiePopStar8
Manager

Postby theArmy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:04 pm

Watched it tonight at the cinema and it's a really good movie. Though I think at times it was too much Goonies-like.
Altogether a solid 7/10.
LITTLE CHIX - a new pop sensation on the horizon!
theArmy
Legend

Postby Damiennatas1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:18 pm

This was really great! Scary, funny, sad and I loved the cast. However, I found the story a bit choppy. I guess the book was like this, different encounters with Pennywise but I just don't think it blended as good as it should have. Also some of the scary scenes were kind of comedic. Not all of them were thankfully and I did get scared quite a bit. The part in the library was by far the worst for me, the librarian just staring at Ben freaked me the **** out.

8/10
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby MusicRecords » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:56 pm

I watched this last night, the kid with the glasses had the funniest lines! :lol: :lol:
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby Kaloki » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:59 pm

My favourite movie of the year!

Not a fan of scary movies so in a way glad this isn't terrifying. It's actually laugh out loud funny in parts, the acting is top notch, and I really felt like I actually wanted the kids to win (in a lot of movies don't care who dies)
Kaloki
Manager

Postby biscuits » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Watched it last night. Here's a quick review [CONTAINS SPOILERS]

- Bill Skasrgard did a fantastic job as Pennywise! While he wasn't anywhere near as scary as Tim Curry's version, he did a great job and allowed the movie to have a completely different tone to the 1990 mini-series.

- Speaking of tone, this movie was definitely better in terms of being a horror movie. The story went along smoothly, was easy to follow and never had a dull moment. The original has filler in it. The original also has a campy 90s vibe to it, whereas this seems like it'll be pretty timeless.

- There were definitely some jumpy moments (my favourite was the projector scene) and the audience also jumped out of their seats collectively when he appeared in Beverley's bathroom after she kills her father. Nearly all interactions with Pennywise were better than the original - much more detailed and over the top. However, also there were scary moments, it's not a film which will ever me nightmares, whereas Tim Curry as Pennywise is still terrifying to me. 2017 Pennywise is an excellent movie clown, whereas 1990 Pennywise still has that element of seeming real, which makes him much scarier. So although the interactions with Pennywise were better in 2017, they weren't as scary as 1990.

- I like that it resembled the book a lot more. It's been almost 10 years since I read the book, but watching the film made me remember a lot of elements to it. One thing which isn't the same is Eddie's first encounter with It. In the book, It appears as a homeless guy offering Eddie a blowjob (from what I remember, there's some narrative on Eddie being picked on for being a sissy - Curry called him a girly boy in 1990). The fact that none of this made it into the film makes me wonder whether it was because of PC reasons. The same can be said for Henry Bower's not calling Mike the N word (repeatedly calling him F-er instead). Of course, these things are not pleasant to witness, but I hate that political correctness got the better of the story.

- The bullies. I was expecting more from Patrick Hocksetter who is quite prominent in the novel. Also, some of their interactions with the Losers Club were omitted. For example, I'm pretty sure they assaulted Beverley and broke Eddie's arm in the novel. I'm not too bothered by these omissions, but just another thing which was re-written for the film. Henry Bowers looked exactly as I imagined him to, so good casting. However, without going into too much detail, his story arc was cut dramatically short but I wonder if that will be touched upon in the sequel

- The Losers Club - the actors were all much better than the 1990 version. Each of them had a layered personality and seemed like real kids, not just actors. There was some great casting - pretty much all of them actually. Richie was just as annoying as he was in the novel and in 1990, so it's consistent I suppose. At first I thought it was realistic how they used bad language, but it got too much eventually, with almost every other line spoken by them (Richie especially) containing the F word.

- Bevvy doesn't kill her dad in the novel because one of my favourite moments from 1990 comes from when she visits him as an adult. So I guess that scene will be cut in the sequel. But also, like what happened there? She kills her dad and then just moves away to stay with an aunt? Kinda sloppy storytelling there.

Overall, I think it was a highly enjoyable film, with some memorable scares and I can't wait to watch it again. :P
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Muzikritik » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:39 am

I saw this last night and absolutely loved it.

Biscuits, you make great observations and I tend to agree. I read the novel when I was about 14 so I don't remember all the differences between the book and the films but I rewatched the mini series in prep for this release. By almost every measurement, 2017 is a superior piece of work.

The success of the 1990 miniseries rested largely on Tim Curry's creepy performance and those of the young cast. The pacing, script, production value and even performances of the adult cast in 1990 was lacklustre for me. 2017 improves the script by making it tighter and focusing solely on the young cast which was a great idea.

Skarsgaard did a brilliant job as Pennywise. I much prefer this version (I must have been the only kid I knew who wasn't freaked out by Tim Curry). Even though Pennywise won't haunt me, the overall feel of this film will stay with me and aside from the scare factor that feeling is attributed to the grounded performances from every single of the young cast.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:52 am

It's gonna be a long long looooong wait for Chapter 2.

They have to act fast as the kids are only getting older and he wants to include them.
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby biscuits » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:33 am

The 1990 cameo was a nice touch

biscuits
The Diva

Postby Muzikritik » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:10 am

^^ Agreed.

I also read somewhere that there is some footage that was shot for Part 1 that they didn't end up using so they could potentially use some of that for Part 2.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Damiennatas1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:28 am

I noticed the cameo too, very nice touch!
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby joiPrince_JO » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:10 pm

Is this a gory kinda movie or more subtle like Halloween?
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby Madelinefs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:43 pm

joiPrince_JO wrote:Is this a gory kinda movie or more subtle like Halloween?
I just saw IT this morning. I absulutely loved it.
The gore is intense. Literally the worst violence against CHILDREN I've seen in a movie like this. But it's also funny as hell, well-balanced movie with an actual meaning. What Bill did with this character is spectacular. But the child actors nailed it too. and this is a rarity. It's very creepy and disturbing film I'm gonna see it again next wk. So far it's my 2nd fav of the year after Wonder Woman.
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby Damiennatas1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:20 pm

I wouldn't call it gory, but there is blood and stuff but nothing on the level of the Saw movies or Hostel. A normal horror film just with kids.

I really want to see it again too!
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby joiPrince_JO » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Madelinefs wrote:
joiPrince_JO wrote:Is this a gory kinda movie or more subtle like Halloween?
I just saw IT this morning. I absulutely loved it.
The gore is intense. Literally the worst violence against CHILDREN I've seen in a movie like this. But it's also funny as hell, well-balanced movie with an actual meaning. What Bill did with this character is spectacular. But the child actors nailed it too. and this is a rarity. It's very creepy and disturbing film I'm gonna see it again next wk. So far it's my 2nd fav of the year after Wonder Woman.
Thanks. I'm not into seeing children getting killed so I think I'm gonna pass on this.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Not many get killed
biscuits
The Diva

Postby jszmiles » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:53 pm

IT is probably best Horror movie ever made for me, so dark and creepy! I cant wait to see 2017 version! hope its as good as the original
jszmiles
Legend

Postby Bojan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:25 am

I didn't find the original scary at all. I hope that this one is better.

I love horrors like It Follows, The Witch and The Invitation.
Bojan
Manager

Postby jszmiles » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:54 am

Bojan wrote:I didn't find the original scary at all. I hope that this one is better.

I love horrors like It Follows, The Witch and The Invitation.
I was 6 back then, I found it really scary :wink:
jszmiles
Legend

Postby LionH3art » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:23 am

Went to see it on saturday.

Great visuals and cinematography, but the story was bland, uneventful and not scary at all...
LionH3art
Superstar

Postby xtofer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:47 am

Saw this on the weekend. It was more hilarious than scary. The kids were great, particularly Richie (he is SAVAGE AF :lol:) and I like Eddie too (GAZEBO! :lol:)
xtofer
Legend

Postby crazycool » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 pm

One of the best movies I've ever seen.
I've just ordered the book to read, I've never tackled a 1,000+ page book before but I'm dying to read it!
crazycool
Legend

Postby AndiIversen » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:03 pm

crazycool wrote:One of the best movies I've ever seen.
I've just ordered the book to read, I've never tackled a 1,000+ page book before but I'm dying to read it!
You should read War and Peace! Fun times! :lol:

I have yet to watch the new one but the old one is fun, i've never thought of it as scary tbh
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:53 am

Not a masterpiece but it isn't terrible. They've left the story open to a sequel.
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Bojan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:27 am

I loved the first hour of this film, and not so much the second. But it wasn't bad overall.
Bojan
Manager

Return to Movies