Aladdin

Postby Hugo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:56 pm

Guy Ritchie to direct Disney’s live-action remake of Aladdin

Disney has pegged Guy Ritchie to direct its upcoming live-action remake of Aladdin.

John August (Frakenweenie, Dark Shadows) wrote the script, which The Hollywood Reporter describes as an “ambitious and non-traditional” take on the 1992 animated classic. THR adds that the film will be non-linear, a hallmark of Ritchie’s filmmaking style.

Ritchie made a name for himself in the late 90s with a pair of quick-witted heist films, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. Following a few commercial and critical duds in the mid-2000s, he’s experienced a career resurgence of late with a pair of Sherlock Holmes adaptations and the surprise action comedy, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. His next project, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, is due out March 2017

Aladdin is just one of several live-action remakes in development over at Disney. Jon Favreau was recently hired to helm The Lion King; Lin Manuel-Miranda is starring in a Mary Poppins sequel and is also writing music for The Little Mermaid; and Emma Watson will dazzle next year with Beauty and the Beast.

CoS
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby biscuits » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:04 pm

Didn't think this was his type of movie
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Erotica » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:20 pm

can they finally stop this :evil: :x makes me angry
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:58 pm

Erotica wrote:can they finally stop this :evil: :x makes me angry
They're remaking almost everything - almost every big Disney film is scheduled for a live action remake and already announced.

Gutted Guy Ritchie is directing this. I love Aladdin but I refuse to give Guy a single penny more of my money. Twat.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:08 am

Erotica wrote:can they finally stop this :evil: :x makes me angry
Yeah it's getting a bit much now.

Aladdin, The Lion King and Mulan all announced recently.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Erotica » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:42 am

I think those movies have always been unnecessary (glad that my favourite Hunchback of Notre Dame won't have a live action movie though :lol: the movie is not popular enough)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:21 am

Guy Ritchie? :roll: They should cast Zac Efron as the lead to make it the worst film ever. Why do they have to remake all the truly iconic and classic Disney movies?
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby Noahh » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:13 am

I must be the only one really excited for this.

This might've been my favorite Disney film growing up.
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Postby WEDway82 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:58 pm

I'll admit, the way they did Cinderella and The Jungle Book, Aladdin should turn out ok. I'm just curious as to how they will approach the Genie. Such an iconic character and performance by Robin Williams.

They have done a great job with the stage musical, and their version of the Genie manages to capture the essence of the movie version whilst still being its own version.
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby Hugo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:31 pm

AMC Theatres‏Verified account @AMCTheatres 2h2 hours ago
CONFIRMED: Will Smith cast as the Genie in the live-action #Aladdin #D23Expo

Aladdin - Mena Massoud

Jasmine - Naomi Scott

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby WEDway82 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Wasn't there an article just the other day, saying they were having trouble casting Aladdin? Guess it shows you how much stories can be wide of the mark at times.
"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby GetBack » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:01 am

Very interesting cast!

I wonder if Jasmine will be as sexy and sultry in the live version, since Naomi Scott was more of a tomboy in the Power Rangers and she seems to be giving off the Kristen Stewart vibes.

Big shoes to fill for Will Smith, as much as the late Robin Williams only lent his voice, the Genie was a huge character in the movie, it's one of the most iconic Disney characters of all time. I think audiences will be more critical towards him more than to the actor who'll be playing Aladdin.
GetBack
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:47 am

Aladdin is a modern Disney Classic, so they need to get this right. I just have no faith in the director and have no idea how he managed to land the gig.

I was horrified to lean Will Smith had the Genie role but upon a very quick reflection, I think it’s brilliant casting - he can hold a tune and when he’s on form, has buckets of charisma (which I think is important - someone without charisma could end up playing the genie as simply camp, with I think Will can avoid easily enough).

The Genie is the real star of the film anyway. I just hope they don’t cut the monkey or parrot like the current Disney Broadway show.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:16 am

menime123 wrote:I was horrified to lean Will Smith had the Genie role but upon a very quick reflection, I think it’s brilliant casting - he can hold a tune and when he’s on form, has buckets of charisma (which I think is important - someone without charisma could end up playing the genie as simply camp, with I think Will can avoid easily enough).
Will Smith is actually more of a rapper. Also, the Genie was very flamboyant and in your face, I haven't seen Will tackle a role similar to that.
GetBack
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:15 am

GetBack wrote:
menime123 wrote:I was horrified to lean Will Smith had the Genie role but upon a very quick reflection, I think it’s brilliant casting - he can hold a tune and when he’s on form, has buckets of charisma (which I think is important - someone without charisma could end up playing the genie as simply camp, with I think Will can avoid easily enough).
Will Smith is actually more of a rapper. Also, the Genie was very flamboyant and in your face, I haven't seen Will tackle a role similar to that.
He can sing though. The closest role I think could be TFP. It’ll be interesting - I wonder if he auditioned?
menime123
Superstar

Postby Hugo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:48 pm

Will Smith

We just started shooting Aladdin and I wanted to intro you guys to our new family… Mena Massoud/Aladdin, Naomi Scott/Princess Jasmine, Marwan Kenzari/Jafar, and I’m over here gettin my Genie on. Here we go!
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby biscuits » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:11 am

So they've shoehorned a white prince into this film
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Muzikritik » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:28 am

^ I read that too. In what role though?

Also, most of the Disney film was voiced by white actors and nobody had much to say about it. This Prince role can't have that big a part, can he?

Also, how does Will Smith still look 30 yr old?!?
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:29 am

biscuits wrote:So they've shoehorned a white prince into this film
Great :roll:
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:07 pm

As far as I remember, in the story princes from far and wide come to as for Jasmine’s hand in marriage. I don’t see it as that big a deal, particularly when we know she says no to them all.
menime123
Superstar

Return to Movies