Star Wars: The Last Jedi [spoilers]

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby KEY9481 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:09 pm

5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018
KEY9481
Manager

Postby KEY9481 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:29 pm

5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018
KEY9481
Manager

Postby menime123 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:33 pm

I am so freaking excited for this :lol:

Started my rewatch of the entire (live action movie) saga last night, and as dull as it can be, I do think Episode 1 gets a bad wrap. I might however be the only person to quite like Jar Jar. Still, I think the move is basically 2 or 3 pretty good TV episodes rolled into one.

It did make me wonder if...

Spoiler:
Darth Maul could be Snoke? In the canon, Maul survives being sliced in half in episode 1
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:34 pm

I never had a problem with Jar Jar
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby SeeForever » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:04 am

I don't like Phantom Menace much ( the only Star Wars film I found disappointing), but not because of Jar Jar. it was the awful acting and ott computer game visuals that put me off, I thought Jar Jar was really funny, one of the few things I liked in the film (Qui-Gon Jinn and the criminally underused Darth Maul were the best things about this film)

But most Star Wars fan loathe Jar Jar, guess like Marmite you either like him or loathe him!!
RIP The Queen Of Disco
SeeForever
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:15 am

SeeForever wrote:I don't like Phantom Menace much ( the only Star Wars film I found disappointing), but not because of Jar Jar. it was the awful acting and ott computer game visuals that put me off, I thought Jar Jar was really funny, one of the few things I liked in the film (Qui-Gon Jinn and the criminally underused Darth Maul were the best things about this film)

But most Star Wars fan loathe Jar Jar, guess like Marmite you either like him or loathe him!!
I have to agree. I’ve just watched Episode II and whilst the storyline picked up a bit, it’s more style over substance still. Shoehorning in C3PO doesn’t work for me, but has the best lines. Episode II is - once again - basically a 3 part mini series in the same way Episode I is imo. Anyway... Episode III tomorrow and then onto the good stuff from next weekend :lol:

Episode VII rights many of these wrongs imo but I do hope Episode VIII brings something majorly new with it - although I’m fully expecting a shock parental reveal at the end :lol:

Just an opinion but...
Spoiler:
I don’t want Rey to be Luke’s daughter. It’s too contrived. I want her to be Palatine’s granddaughter or something random.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby Hugo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:43 am

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:35 pm

https://www.rogerebert.com/

And 93% on RT with 123 reviews, 8.3/10 average.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Noahh » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:33 pm

Going to the cinema for a 7am showing of both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi back to back in IMAX.
It's going to be a short night of sleep, but sooo worth it. 8-)
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Postby Hugo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:53 pm

The Global Box Office Awakens: ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Could Power To $440M Opening

For a third year in a row, Disney is rejuvenating the year-end holiday box office with a Star Wars movie. This time it’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which is poised to clear between $424 million-$440 million worldwide by the end of its first frame. In the U.S. and Canada, industry projections have had The Last Jedi around $200M for quite some time, and it will be playing in more theaters than last year’s 4,157 for the franchise’s first spinoff Rogue One.

After a sluggish summer, the worst in 11 years, stateside exhibitors couldn’t be happier with the presence of Last Jedi. Last year, even though Rogue One did 43% less business than Force Awakens at $532.1M, that pic spurred a $1.07 billion overall theatrical marketplace for the period of December 16-January 2; the year before with Force Awakens, the holiday frame also cleared $1 billion. So even if Last Jedi falls below this lofty round figure stateside tracking has been spotting, say as low as $185M, it’s still not the end of the world for exhibition or moviegoing.

Previews in North America begin Thursday night at 7 PM, with fan and marathon events in 1,300-plus locations featuring an early start for The Last Jedi at 6 PM. The largest Thursday night preview gross belongs to Star Wars: The Force Awakens with $57M; just a few other films have broken $30M in previews including Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, The Dark Knight Rises, and three of the Twilight films. Rogue One posted $29M in previews last year.

Industry sources are pegging The Last Jedi‘s overseas opening between a conservative $224M to a more reasonable $240M. Some see it going higher, hitting $250M-plus. There are those who caution that while pre-sales are off the charts, they are not as big as Force Awakens, which had more pent-up anticipation. Other codicils include the unpredictable nature of the pre-holiday box office as well as tough weather conditions this week in Europe and the northeast U.S.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi begins its international rollout Wednesday with major markets France and Italy among the opening days. The bulk of the offshore majors come online Thursday including the UK, Germany, Australia, Russia, Korea and Brazil. From there, the eighth installment in the sci-fi saga will hyperdrive into the rest of offshore play through Friday (excluding China, which bows January 5). In the first session there are 776 Imax screens in 68 countries.

The main comp on Last Jedi is, of course, The Force Awakens, which in 2015 quenched a decade-long thirst among longtime fans and brought newer ones into the galaxy. That film made $281M in its first weekend at the international box office ($286M including India, which opened later in 2015 but is day-and-date this time). Today, the figure in like-for-like markets on Force Awakens translates to about $290M-plus with currency fluctuations taken into consideration. Coupled with its record domestic opening of $247.96M, Force Awakens posted a $537.96M global opening, which at one point was a record before Universal’s The Fate of the Furious eclipsed it this year with $541.9M.

Still, most agree that the film may burn more slowly than Force Awakens, but will be bright with even better playability. First reactions from the Los Angeles premiere on Saturday night were ecstatic, and there is little in the way of this movie at theaters around the world.

Add also the legacy of Carrie Fisher’s Princess Leia Organa and the big return of Mark Hamill alongside the new characters who gained a following in Force Awakens (and all the new merchandising that’s been available since), and The Last Jedi hits all quadrants. Word of mouth is expected to be forceful and repeat viewing a must, with lower drops (although Force Awakens did exceptionally well in its holds throughout the holiday season).

On Force Awakens, and at historical rates, China was the top opener at $52M but it does not factor in this launch. The UK was No. 1 on opening weekend at $50.6M in historical dollars, followed by Germany ($27.5M), France ($22.5M), Australia ($19.6M) and Japan ($13.4M). Ultimately, the UK led all offshore markets with $165M, followed by China $123, Germany $120, Japan $103M and France $95M – all at today’s rates.

In the UK, Vue Cinemas are packing venues with the film on a round-the-clock basis beginning at midnight Wednesday night (Thursday morning). For a full 72 hours, the movie will play continually and tickets have been sold for each of the showings including those at 3 AM and 5 AM. As with Force Awakens, some moviegoers are scheduling their screenings before heading into work.

Currency swings, as always, must be kept in mind. One source suggests the European majors may be lower on Last Jedi than Force Awakens at open, but still expects growth in the emerging markets in Latin America and Southeast Asia. Also, countries in the southern hemisphere are on school vacations.

Force Awakens ended up as the fourth highest-grossing international release ever with $1.13 billion and the No. 3 movie of all time globally at $2.07B. In the U.S. and Canada, it’s the highest-grossing film imaginable at $936.7M, and unseated Avatar, which at $760.5M, held the all-time spot for six years. Force Awakens had a 3.5 multiple overseas (excluding wildcard China) and a 55%-45% international-domestic split (which does include China). Stateside, it legged out to a 3.77x multiple which is a greater leg-out factor than such big summer pics as Jurassic World (3.1x) and Marvel’s The Avengers (3x). Last December’s Rogue One is also worth bearing in mind as a comp, although as a stand-alone, it is not in the same stratosphere. It opened in like-for-like markets last year to roughly $150M (at today’s numbers) and ended with a 3.2 multiple (also excluding China) with an ultimately even spread foreign to domestic.

On the marketing side, the Disney team created stunts to support advance ticket sales around the world including a lightsaber projection in Sydney Harbor, a Canary Wharf station takeover in the UK, and a roadblock on Mediaset channels in Italy.

Disney also collaborated with Korea’s top app, Kakao, to integrate Last Jedi content into their taxi, navigation, maps and social platforms. There was also an extensive partnership with Russia’s top browser, Yandex, with a Star Wars-themed takeover of its apps.

The Star Wars: Droid Repair Bay VR experience rolled out to roughly 30 markets, hitting hundreds of retail stores, mall exhibits, cinema lobbies and other special events.

The publicity tour started with trip to Japan in September and since then the talent and filmmakers have gone to France, Mexico, Singapore and Vietnam (with Kelly Marie Tran and Veronica Ngo both of Vietnamese descent, this was the first time a Star Wars movie has stopped there).

The European premiere will be held in London on Tuesday night which will also be attended by princes William and Harry, who are rumored to have cameos as stormtroopers in the movie (it’s good to be the almost King…). The China premiere at the Shanghai Disneyland Resort will take place December 20.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/the-last-je ... 202225082/
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Noahh » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:42 pm

It was so good! :cry:
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:02 pm

I loved it - got a little excited at the start, got an alert saying my resting pulse rate had increased to 130bpm :lol:
menime123
Legend

Postby Blondini » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:50 pm

8/10. Solidly done but it's not amazing. Distinct sense of deja vu (as opposed to timelessness). Some great individual moments but it doesn't add up to a very great film, just a good one - i suspect my rating may go down to a 7 on a small screen). It's like an X-Man film - too many characters and no actual lead. So you never get enough of anyone and it's just battle to battle, confrontation to confrontation. Doesn't have enough weight behind it emotionally - it has moments but the thing isn't a convincing flow and Rey is not convincingly made part of that emotional sphere. Han Solo not being there leaves a big hole. The Rose character isn't fleshed out enough for us to care (her sister seemed to have a better scene so that was a bizarre scripting choice) and teaming her with Finn is another error. It leaves Rey on her own, basically. Luke and Leia are more or less shoehorned in at opportune moments
Spoiler:
(both are offscreen until it suits the plot to have a saviour)
. It leaves you wanting more.

Adrian Edmondson pops up in quite a big role as Hux's right hand guy (bigger than Lupita N'yongo who mystifingly still gets a main credit for even less screen time than in TFA, she's not one of the veterans so ????). Nobody has his character name on any of the major sites and i can't remember it??
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Damiennatas1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:44 pm

I really enjoyed it. The Force Awakens was better and I feel like this was just one big buildup for the next film but nonetheless, a very good film!
I am obsessed with Tammie Brown!
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:56 pm

Blondini wrote:8/10. Solidly done but it's not amazing. Distinct sense of deja vu (as opposed to timelessness). Some great individual moments but it doesn't add up to a very great film, just a good one - i suspect my rating may go down to a 7 on a small screen). It's like an X-Man film - too many characters and no actual lead. So you never get enough of anyone and it's just battle to battle, confrontation to confrontation. Doesn't have enough weight behind it emotionally - it has moments but the thing isn't a convincing flow and Rey is not convincingly made part of that emotional sphere. Han Solo not being there leaves a big hole. The Rose character isn't fleshed out enough for us to care (her sister seemed to have a better scene so that was a bizarre scripting choice) and teaming her with Finn is another error. It leaves Rey on her own, basically. Luke and Leia are more or less shoehorned in at opportune moments
Spoiler:
(both are offscreen until it suits the plot to have a saviour)
. It leaves you wanting more.

Adrian Edmondson pops up in quite a big role as Hux's right hand guy (bigger than Lupita N'yongo who mystifingly still gets a main credit for even less screen time than in TFA, she's not one of the veterans so ????). Nobody has his character name on any of the major sites and i can't remember it??
Part of me really agrees. I think it’s incredibly well made, and I love that for once it actually feels like war. I thought they got the balance right between the old names and newer stars, and it really felt like a middle act where the baton is truly passed over.

Spoiler:
Snoke dying was odd. Yoda’s return nice. I liked the introduction of the new characters and I liked that we had more Poe this time and I love that Billie Lord was used a lot more.

I did feel like Luke was under used but just WOW at Leia’s space walk. Such a shame she won’t be around for part 9... the character has unfinished business in this. Though it’s odd they didn’t re-edit it to kill her off because the opportunity is there more than once.

I don’t believe that Rey’s parents were ‘nobodies’. This particular Star Wars saga has always been the story of The Skywalkers. I believe Ben Solo will be killed off in the end (there’s no redemption for anyone that killed Han) and as far as we know, he’s the only ‘next generation’ Skywalker.

There was a pretty big hint about Rey and Ben being twins, but I also thought there was perhaps something romantic there too (which isn’t too much of an issue in Star Wars!) so who knows. Yet the fact Rey and Poe formally introduce themselves at the end makes me wonder about that pairing too.

The ending threw me though. What’s the point in introducing us to some kid that has the force too? It’s episode 8 for gods sake, get us towards some sort of ending narrative :lol:
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:57 pm

I love all the new species introduced in this, but it did feel a little shoehorned in the toy sales.
menime123
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:09 am

Spoiler:
I guess the kid at the end is showing us there are more possible
Jedi’s our there as he moves the broom into his hand with the force unless my eyes deceived me.

I don’t buy that Rey’s parents were junker nobodies… that would be stupid!

Who was Snoke? I really wish his origin had been explained!
Last edited by Ewokguy15 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby MusicRecords » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:04 am

Gonna watch this this weekend!
Follow me on Instagram

trebor wrote:16. MusicRecords: #Mess #BV #Bish #YSL #STFU #Sis #LOL #$$$ #FrequentFlyerSpammer #I&I&I
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Blondini » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:07 am

LOL. Didn't notice this. Gary The Dog is in it!

https://www.popsugar.co.uk/celebrity/Ca ... ogle.co.uk

Have confirmation of Adrian Edmondson's character on IMDB, too - Captain Peavey. :D
Other people i did notice that are now credited: Navin Chowdhry from Teachers, Danny Sapani from Penny Dreadful. Lily Cole, Michaela Coel. Good luck to anyone trying to identify Gary Barlow and the princes as stormtroopers. Oh and Peter Mayhew is actually billed ABOVE Joonas Suotamo in the film's credits as BOTH play Chewbacca so that needs correcting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/ful ... cl_sm#cast
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby WEDway82 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:36 pm

^I think that the Princes cameo's were cut.

I did spot the bartender from The Halcyon and Will from W1A.
"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby Kaloki » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:38 pm

I’ll do a proper review when more people have seen this, but I have never been more disappointed in a film in my life! I actually left the cinema angry at how bad this is. Absolute non-sensical rubbish :x

Rogue One was absoltely incredible as well, they should have let that director take over
Kaloki
Manager

Postby Hugo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:39 pm

CAN'T Y'ALL USE THE SPOILER THINGY FFS?????? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Blondini » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Blondini wrote: Good luck to anyone trying to identify Gary Barlow and the princes as stormtroopers. Oh and Peter Mayhew is actually billed ABOVE Joonas Suotamo in the film's credits as BOTH play Chewbacca so that needs correcting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/ful ... cl_sm#cast
Gary Barlow is a resistance fighter, apparently and Tom Hardy is a stormtrooper. Mayhew is a "consultant" but he's still billed above Suotamo in the end credits.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:45 pm

WEDway82 wrote:^I think that the Princes cameo's were cut.

Boyega said as much on TV but Johnson said in a radio interview that he "can neither conform nor deny" they are in it.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby WEDway82 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:58 pm

^Ah ok, thanks. I suppose until they specifically point out which ones they are, we just won't know.

Maybe that should just be part of the fun with Stormtrooper cameos - regardless of who they are.
"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney
WEDway82
Roadie

Return to Movies