mother! (2017)

Postby Hugo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:10 pm

jennifer lawrence, javier bardem, ed harris and michelle pfeiffer star in mother!, directed by darren aronofsky. see it in theatres 9.15.

a couple's relationship is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence. from filmmaker darren aronofsky (black swan, requiem for a dream), mother! stars jennifer lawrence, javier bardem, ed harris and michelle pfeiffer in this riveting psychological thriller about love, devotion and sacrifice.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Grybop » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Mixed response at the Venice Film Festival. Resemblances with Rosemary's Baby are limited but were definitely intentional. Really looking forward to seeing it!
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Rihab » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:23 am

More excited for this than for 'It' tbh.
Rihab
Legend

Postby Hugo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:23 pm

3rd update, Friday 9:48PM Well, it’s clear: Moviegoers officially hate Darren Aronofsky’s Mother! The film scored a rare F grade from CinemaScore audiences tonight, and there were many rivals heading into the weekend who were expecting that type of reaction. As we heard at noon, the bold Jennifer Lawrence pic is crashing well below its projections with an estimated $8M in third.

Paramount has been in this situation before with 2012’s The Devil Inside which also earned an F (in fact that year had two more F grade films: the Brad Pitt gangster pic Killing Them Softly and Open Road’s Silent House). But with Devil Inside, Paramount was able to buck the audience reaction on that $1M budgeted genre pic and make loads of cash with a $33.7M opening, final domestic $53.3M and global of $101.8M. Many attribute that win to a massive TV spot spend. Mother! is a different beast at a reported $30M before P&A (some believe it’s much higher: Lawrence is known to get $15M alone with actors like Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer earning $3M-$5M each). Oy vey.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/it-stephen- ... 202170367/
Yikes
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Grybop » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:21 pm

You know the feeling when you're a fan of a director, that feeling of trust, that you can let him take you by the hand and lead you to places you know you'll like? That's how I feel about Aronofsky and no bad reviews and low ratings will change that. Unless the movie sucks of course :lol:
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby LonelyDreamer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:21 pm

Just watched... WOW! The most shocking movie of 2017! I LOVE IT!
vulnicura.
LonelyDreamer
Superstar

Postby Muzikritik » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Yeah, I saw this yesterday. There have been comparisons to Rosemary's Baby and Aronofsky has said this was a big influence. If you've seen the Polanski movie than there really isn't much new in the way of plot here, except to say that the ending pushes further out than anything that could have been screened in 1969.

It's a fantastic set up, with beautiful shots and great performances from Bardem, Pfieffer and Harris but it's definitely Lawrence's movie and she commits to her role wholeheartedly, even when things get strange.

My mate I went with absolutely hated it. There's too many things done right for me to dislike it, but I can't say I enjoyed it much after the first hour.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:57 pm

Is the film worth seeing?
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby JimJim » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Ewokguy15 wrote:Is the film worth seeing?
Depends who you ask, I legit don't think I've ever seen a movie that has polarised people as much as this one.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby biscuits » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Seems polarising indeed. I was looking forward to it but not sure now
biscuits
The Diva

Postby LonelyDreamer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:13 am

"mother!' is a masterpiece and will surely become a classic, but it was a huge mistake to make it look like a blockbuster. GP will hate the movie, that's for sure.

It's definitely not easy... that kind of piece of art that will make you think about for days and days.
vulnicura.
LonelyDreamer
Superstar

Postby Ewokguy15 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:42 am

I've heard it;s kinda like Rosemary's Baby is it similar to any other films? I wanna see it but I'm confused by the bad reviews but some are saying it's amazing.
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby MonkeyLover21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 pm

Hated it. Thought it was atrocious. I didn't have to pay so that was great. Darren Aronofsky is overrated.
The winds might blow through me
But I don't care
MonkeyLover21
Manager

Postby SilentDream » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:35 am

Well done movie. However, if you don't understand what it's all about, I can see why someone would think that it's a bad movie. Don't judge it right after you've watched it, judge it after you've read the interpretation of it - except if you understand everything already after watching it (although it's rather unlikely to understand every detail of the movie after watching it only once). So if you think that the movie is illogical and doesn't make sense then read the interpretation of it after you've watched it.
The Fourth Wall
#T4W
SilentDream
Manager

Postby Noahh » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:06 am

I didn't like this at all. Such a pretentious film. Darren is losing it. I love some of his earlier work but both Noah and this are just bad. :-?
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Postby heppolo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:39 am

LonelyDreamer wrote:"mother!' is a masterpiece and will surely become a classic, but it was a huge mistake to make it look like a blockbuster. GP will hate the movie, that's for sure.

It's definitely not easy... that kind of piece of art that will make you think about for days and days.
Jennifer Lawrence isn't the best choice, too sugary, too model-esque.
The whole premise comes off as pretentious, just like the idea of a Eurovision entry that can save the world.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Return to Movies