God's Own Country (2017)

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

 

Postby Hugo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:57 pm



:cry: I'm going to love this

Giving me Brokeback Mountain vibes

Image

:cry: :cry:
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 40575
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby Hugo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:14 pm

Romania has never looked so good :cry: :cry:
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 40575
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby cristy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:04 am

^ It's not set in Romania, it's set in Yorkshire. :wink:

I won't spoil anything, but this movie is brilliant in so many ways! I definitely recommend this to everyone, truly an incredible movie.
Between this, 'Call Me By Your Name' and '120 Beats per Minute', queer cinema is having one hell of a year.
User avatar
cristy
Superstar
 
Posts: 5834
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007
Location: Romania

Postby Hugo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:24 am

cristy wrote:^ It's not set in Romania, it's set in Yorkshire. :wink:
:lol: :lol: I meant one of the main actors
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 40575
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby cristy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:46 am

Hugo wrote:
cristy wrote:^ It's not set in Romania, it's set in Yorkshire. :wink:
:lol: :lol: I meant one of the main actors
Oh! :lol: :lol: :lol: My bad! :oops:
You're absolutely right though, he is stunning. 8-)
User avatar
cristy
Superstar
 
Posts: 5834
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007
Location: Romania

Postby menime123 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:58 pm

Image

Anyone seen this? I absolutely loved it.

It’s basically the British Brokeback Mountain - but 2 farmers from Britain. Being a country boy I have been privy to a bit of a farm boy myself, but this is such a cute, easy yet moving love story.

Totally recommend it. It’s on 99% on Rotten Tomatoes and it’s done incredibly well on the film festival circuit, winning in Berlin and at Sundance.
NO MEN IN ME.
User avatar
menime123
Legend
 
Posts: 15293
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby Rihab » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:44 am

I don‘t usually watch ‘gay‘ movies (or romantic movies in general), but my friend made me and it was really good. The lambing scenes were a little ew.
User avatar
Rihab
Legend
 
Posts: 18468
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010
Location: Germany

Postby Hugo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:09 pm

There's a thread already.
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 40575
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby menime123 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:36 pm

Rihab wrote:I don‘t usually watch ‘gay‘ movies (or romantic movies in general), but my friend made me and it was really good. The lambing scenes were a little ew.
The cow scene made me cringe more :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
User avatar
menime123
Legend
 
Posts: 15293
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby biscuits » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Was literally just about to start watching this
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 47771
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby menime123 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:50 pm

biscuits wrote:Was literally just about to start watching this
Do it, you won’t regret it.
NO MEN IN ME.
User avatar
menime123
Legend
 
Posts: 15293
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby Rihab » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:13 am

menime123 wrote:
Rihab wrote:I don‘t usually watch ‘gay‘ movies (or romantic movies in general), but my friend made me and it was really good. The lambing scenes were a little ew.
The cow scene made me cringe more :lol:
oh yeah forgot about that one :lol:
User avatar
Rihab
Legend
 
Posts: 18468
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010
Location: Germany

Postby biscuits » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:50 am

Not enough sex
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 47771
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby Hugo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:17 pm

It really was Brokeback Mountain, but with a happy ending.

Loved it.
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 40575
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby menime123 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:39 pm

Hugo wrote:It really was Brokeback Mountain, but with a happy ending.

Loved it.
A change of country and decade can do a person wonders. One thing I couldn’t work out was if the British guy was ‘openly’ gay or not?
NO MEN IN ME.
User avatar
menime123
Legend
 
Posts: 15293
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby Hugo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:25 am

He was pretty nonchalant about it and the conversation he had with his girl friend alluded to that, how she mentioned her guy friend from uni and all.

The random hook up in the bathroom was too much though, not that it felt unrealistic, but because it was such a small pub, everyone seemed to know what they were up to in there. That felt forced.

I don't think the movie is perfect by any means, but the actors had good chemistry.
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 40575
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby menime123 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:47 pm

Hugo wrote:He was pretty nonchalant about it and the conversation he had with his girl friend alluded to that, how she mentioned her guy friend from uni and all.

The random hook up in the bathroom was too much though, not that it felt unrealistic, but because it was such a small pub, everyone seemed to know what they were up to in there. That felt forced.

I don't think the movie is perfect by any means, but the actors had good chemistry.
I agree... but they needed to break them up somehow in order for the British guy to decide what he wanted head on. I agree he was very nonchalant about his sexuality - to an extent - but the horse trailer sex without kissing is so typical of a ‘straight’ guy who doesn’t want to be ‘gay’, and then there was his gran crying over a condom...

My interpretation is he was a bit muddled at the start, but wasn’t really fussed if he was gay or not. It was refreshing to see someone embrace it without making a song and dance about it, and for his gran - despite the crying scene - to embrace it and encourage him to go after his man without making it a coming out scene.

Anyway, the entire film reminded me of me and my farm hand dalliances growing up, so I enjoyed it for that reason too - but I never had sex in the mud. Stables yes, mud wrestling sex? Hell no, I don’t do mud :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
User avatar
menime123
Legend
 
Posts: 15293
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby Hugo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:52 pm

Sex in the stables, musty :lol:
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 40575
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby Hugo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:45 pm

Bumped!

Watch ALL the gay movies.
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 40575
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby Damiennatas1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:27 am

One gay movie I enjoyed less than most of the others I've watched. Pretty boring and the main character was extremely annoying.
User avatar
Damiennatas1
Manager
 
Posts: 3425
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011
Location: Ireland

Postby aRat » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:31 pm

they coulda done more with the sexy scenes
jochen on meeting famous ppl wrote:Janet (very hairy woman)
Beyonce (she was ugly)
User avatar
aRat
Manager
 
Posts: 2991
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018
Location: Janet's neck

Postby SholasBoy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 pm

I actually found this a bit boring and I didn't like that he was forgiven so easily for cheating on him, like, that was why he left in the first place, so that betrayal never got resolved. I thought Call Me By Your Name was much better.
User avatar
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher
 
Posts: 40143
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002
Location: Leeds

Postby BehindBreakaway » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:15 pm

Watched this last night. Bit boring but enjoyable
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
User avatar
BehindBreakaway
Manager
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016

Postby Grybop » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:35 pm

Saw it last night, found it a bit forced at times, hated the fact that we get to know so little about Georghe's past - also, how easily did they get on with the sex? :lol:
The fact that there was barely any conflict between the guys, especially the English guy, and their environment regarding their sexuality was a bit unrealistic as well - sure, granny cried over the condom and all, but is it really OK for guys to kiss out in the open in a factory in the English countryside? Can you just go have sex in the loo of a small, half-empty village pub and not get noticed? Anyway, the reconciliation scene was very moving :cry:

7/10
They need rappers like me
So they can get on their ****' keyboards and make me the bad guy, Chun-Li
User avatar
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive
 
Posts: 16911
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003

Postby menime123 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Grybop wrote:Saw it last night, found it a bit forced at times, hated the fact that we get to know so little about Georghe's past - also, how easily did they get on with the sex? :lol:
The fact that there was barely any conflict between the guys, especially the English guy, and their environment regarding their sexuality was a bit unrealistic as well - sure, granny cried over the condom and all, but is it really OK for guys to kiss out in the open in a factory in the English countryside? Can you just go have sex in the loo of a small, half-empty village pub and not get noticed? Anyway, the reconciliation scene was very moving :cry:

7/10
You’ve never lived.
NO MEN IN ME.
User avatar
menime123
Legend
 
Posts: 15293
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Return to Movies