Call Me By Your Name (2017)

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby holden » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:27 pm

wasn't the blond guy a paedophile?
why everybody is okay with it?
holden
Roadie

Postby Hugo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:32 pm

holden wrote:wasn't the blond guy a paedophile?
Elio is 17 and Oliver is 24, so no.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Biebz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:33 pm

Because it's perfectly legal, thats why
Oh god miss u on my lips, It’s me ur little Venice bitchhhh
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby brunosilva » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:36 pm

I loved the movie, especially the last 15 minutes.
CELINE DION - THE WORLD'S BIGGEST SELLING ARTIST OF THE LAST 20 YEARS

www.celinedioncharts.com
brunosilva
Manager

Postby spiritboy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:37 pm

Timothy won Best Actor at last night's Independent Spirit Awards. Well done :D

I lowkey hope Madonna will star as a mother-in-law to Elio (art imitating life) :lol:
spiritboy
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:50 pm

Hugo wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:
Hugo wrote:A sequel? Why dear god?
Don’t ya wanna see the teenager steal a married man? Jk :lol:

Actually the director even wants to make it a series of 5 films throughout the years to tell a story as the actors age :lol: kinda like 400 blows and the following movies
But it's a book. A single book.

Omg what a mess. We already have the BEFORE films.
Yeah well they’re gonna leave it to their imagination, hopefully they don’t mess the whole story up :lol:
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:35 am

It's just won the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay. I think Best Picture might be out of reach tonight, but let's see.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:43 pm

^ That writer just became the oldest Oscar winner ever - 89!
Vote for songs in the Summertime Madness Tournamentr!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby aaliyahman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:55 pm

cheapthrills wrote:^ That writer just became the oldest Oscar winner ever - 89!
Yes!!! I think it should have gotten best Picture though!
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby JimJim » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:35 am

I watched this tonight, it's certainly one of the more depressing gay films, like Moonlight.

I enjoyed it overall, it felt very raw in a good way. My biggest gripe was the pacing, this film did not need to go for 2+ hours. I lost track of the amount of times people went for a swim or had a cigarette.

The peach scene was confronting, but strange stuff like that happens in real life.

The monologue from the father at the end was very moving, the highlight of the film. I'm not sure whether he was implying a gay romance, perhaps he was.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby biscuits » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:41 am

Hugo wrote:
24?!?! I thought he was like 35
biscuits
The Diva

Postby JimJim » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:34 am

biscuits wrote:
Hugo wrote:
24?!?! I thought he was like 35
I think the actor was 29 at the time of filming, but yeah, the character is meant to be 24.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby aaliyahman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Yea he's meant to be early 20's as he's a mature student.

It's weird though at first Elio is completely gross to me but by the end I kind of get how beautiful he is.

I think they show/focus on sculpture and art as Elio has a lot of features similar to ancient sculpture facially.

It fits in with Greek pederasty.

I just wish I could watch it again for the first time or get Armie Hammer.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:14 pm

I finally had the chance to watch this movie and I have to say that it was indeed a masterpiece. I just think that the novel was slightly better because it moved me a bit more (especially the ending). The way how the movie ended doesn't really give a reason why Oliver didn't even try to reconcile with Elio or take their relationship to another level. In the book, there's an incident which gives an insight of Oliver's mind and why he might have chosen to take Elio down.

However, I think that the characters were amazingly portrayed and the feelings of Elio towards Oliver have been incredibly transferred to the screen. I love how the camera captures the desire.

Since I have read the book, that "Peach" scene didn't shock me at all. I think that it was even more explicit in the book and a bit tamed down in the movie.

That said, I also loved the ending of the movie. The fact that the parents seem to accept the romance, support their son in the 1980s in ITALY (!!!) is incredible and deserves to get applauded. Also, the monologue of Elio's father in the end.... made me feel very much uncomfortable and I somehow felt Elio's pain because it was so well-executed. It's so dramatic and tragic that "this love" didn't get a chance not because of society, family issues or distance... it's just time and Oliver's decisions... and that's so utterly sad and depressing because Elio is such an amazing character and you just want him to be happy.

If you haven't read the book yet, you should go for it. It gives way more information on Elio's life and tbh, the ending is even more intense and depressing.

Sometimes it seems that you just have one single shot at getting happy and you can love or give the next person "just" less.... incredible movie! - Definitely one of my favourites.
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Hugo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Mainshow wrote:In the book, there's an incident which gives an insight of Oliver's mind and why he might have chosen to take Elio down.
I read the book recently and I'm struggling to pinpoint what that incident was exactly, care to help? :cry:

Was it his conservative family?
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Mainshow » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Hugo wrote:
Mainshow wrote:In the book, there's an incident which gives an insight of Oliver's mind and why he might have chosen to take Elio down.
I read the book recently and I'm struggling to pinpoint what that incident was exactly, care to help? :cry:

Was it his conservative family?
Actually, there are a few moments: Oliver's comment on his "coma life", his gift to Elio (the Monet postcard) and the phone call where he didn't call him by his name anymore :(

There is a short passage, when Elio went to Oliver's "unviersity city"..they went for a drink and talked about the future.. that they will think of their younger selves as two happy (fooli-ish) guys being so deliriously happy while they will look onto their life as unhappy, trying to hold on thinking of that short summer romance back in Italy (that tehy are not allowed to be fully happy.. that they have to take short "injections" of that happiness they encountered back in Italy.. that they were so happy back then, that there's nothing left for them). That left me totally unsettled, made me feel at unease,
Oliver even admits that he partly made a mistake back then... that he was in a coma, that he lived a parrallel life .. but that he has to go back to his "coma"/(life tomorrow again... it#s like Oliver still can't choose to be happy (for whatever reason). He just hasn't accept himself :(

I don't think it was Oliver's conservative family.. more like how Oliver was not able to overcome his fear of being noticed by other people not being in a straight relationship. - At the end, when Elio and Oliver are in Rome and heading off to the book store to meet the others, Oliver struggled, paused and even said that "I don't want that anything will be different tonight". Even though Elio's parents seem to have known about their love and even fully accepted it despite being in Italy in the 1980s and the age difference, Oliver was still afraid of being true to himself.

Also, even more striking was Oliver's "gift": The postcard picturing Monet's painting... a reference to the place where Elio and Oliver first kissed...he wrote "heart of hearts" on the back of it. He was not able to say it directly to Elio, he had to "hide" his inner feelings, his true love behind a painting. That painting could stand for Oliver's marriage (which might look like beautiful from the outside with his two kids, etc) but in fact, Oliver and Elio have never been really happy.
Also, when Oliver told Elio about his plan to marry.. he was phsyically present in ELio's room and Elio asked him to come to him, sit next to him on his bed... but Oliver, again, was hiding his feelings and even said that they won't "do anything". He stays fully dressed (another metaphor of hiding what he truly feels and is)

Also, some years later, there is another phone call where Elio calls Oliver by his own name "Elio" but Oliver seems to have forgotten about it and says something like "This is Olliver speaking". He even tells Elio that he has to get to know his family but at the same time, he says taht he is so happy to be back in Italy, at Elio's place, with his parents.. that it's the "happiest place he has ever been to".

It's like how Oliver acted, it killed Elio's inner spirit. At least, in some parts, even after years, he still has feelings for Oliver.
#JUSTICE4ALEKSEEV
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:57 pm

I think Liberace is the only movie with a real gay topic I watched so far :lol:
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Hugo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:45 pm

I still need to rewatch this.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Return to Movies