The Movies of... Marlon Brando

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby Erotica » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:59 am

I enjoyed Some like it hot
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:57 am

Some Like It Hot

^ This all the way.
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:08 am

I'm starting to watch a lot of old movies and I loved How to Marry a Millionaire! I wonder how it would be to live during that era!
GetBack
Legend

Postby menime123 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:51 am

GetBack wrote:I'm starting to watch a lot of old movies and I loved How to Marry a Millionaire! I wonder how it would be to live during that era!
I love that film so much.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby Colbie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:41 pm

Some like it hot!
But she was also in All About Eve which is one of my fav movies!
Colbie
Superstar

Postby toni_pest » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:42 pm

i dont think i ever watched a movie with her in it
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby joiPrince_JO » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:10 am

How to Marry a Millionaire is one of my all time favorite movies.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:21 pm

toni_pest wrote:i dont think i ever watched a movie with her in it
Me neither.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Odyssey » Tue May 08, 2018 7:12 pm

I have seen all of her films. She was a terrible actress. I tried and tried to find her appeal but there was simply none. She was never the lead role in a film (maybe in one or two of them) but a supporting character to a male lead, like to Tom Ewell in The Seven Year Itch or to Yves Montand in Let's Make Love. Only interesting ones are Niagara, Don't Bother to Knock and The Misfits to some extent. She only became legend because of her tragic death, same as James Dean.
Last edited by Odyssey on Tue May 08, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odyssey
Manager

Postby Wayne » Tue May 08, 2018 7:18 pm

She's probably the most famous person in the world that I know absolutely nothing about (except for obviously her image and what she looks like).

I've never seen any of her movies.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby menime123 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Odyssey wrote:I have seen all of her films. She was a terrible actress. I tried and tried to find her appeal but there was simply none. She was never the lead role in a film (maybe in one or two of them) but a supporting character to a male lead, like to Tom Ewell in The Seven Year Itch or to Yves Montand in Let's Make Love. Only interesting ones are Niagara, Don't Bother to Knock and The Misfits to some extent. She only became legend because of her tragic death, same as James Dean.
Marilyn wasn’t a trained actress but had star quality, and she largely learnt her craft on the job. She wasn’t Bette Davis who had an extensive theatre background, or a child star like Elizabeth Taylor. But that doesn’t mean she wasn’t a great actress in her own right.

My all time favourite film is ‘Gentlemen Prefer Blondes’ which features one of the most iconic moments in cinema - ever. It wasn’t her first movie, but it was her first (joint) leading role and despite being teamed up with Jane Russell - an established box office draw - you can see the star quality radiate from Marilyn.

But she was also a victim of the studio system and the studio system saw a blonde bombshell they could sell to both men and women - they made Marilyn into a chick flick actress (not unlike how Julia Roberts was in the 1990s) and they deliberately paired her up with co-stars that were reasonably average looking, to allow male audiences to believe they stood a chance with her.

She was a product and her movies were products - but that doesn’t mean they aren’t good and it certainly doesn’t mean she couldn’t act.

The sad part is towards the end of her life she fought against the studio system, enrolled in drama school (after huge success) and setup her own company.

Whilst her death immortalised her, during her lifetime she was the biggest star in the world. It’s just incredibly sad that she never got to reach her full potential.

But a terrible actress? Never. One of the greatest of all time.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby Odyssey » Tue May 08, 2018 9:02 pm

^^ One of the greatest of all time? For you maybe and I respect that.
For the rest of the world she is just a sex symbol, just as she was back then in her prime. Her roles were all the same bimbo with breathey vocals and pouting lips. Only time she showed any range as a actress was in The Misfits. According to many of her directors and co stars she was highly unprofessional and people hated to work with her.
Yes she was trapped in the studo system but so were all the others from that period, that was not the excuse for anything.
As for the biggest star in the world that is a reach. Up until mid fifties that was Ava Gardner, from 1958 up until the 1967 the biggest star in the world was Elizabeth Taylor by far. Marilyn herself knew that and hated her guts. She was frustrated about Taylor until her death. When Fox paid Taylor one million dollars for Cleopatra (first actress ever to be paid that sum for a single film), Marilyn was going mad with jealous. According to all of her biographies she did everything in her power to take Liz of the press, which is why she decided to go nude in her sadly unfinished film Something's Got To Give.
I get that you are a big MM fan but let's not twist well known history and facts.
Odyssey
Manager

Postby menime123 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:24 am

I’m not twisting fact. She was a nightmare to work with, she was unprofessional and she caused problems no end by constantly being late to set. That doesn’t detract from how big a star she actually was - the public don’t care about off screen antics.

She was voted the 6th best actress of all time by the American Film Institute, so it’s not just myself that believes she’s one of the greats. Some Like It Hot (one of her final movies) is regularly called one of the best films of all time too.

Marilyn’s best performance is in ‘Bus Stop’.
menime123
Legend

Postby Odyssey » Wed May 09, 2018 10:35 am

menime123 wrote:I’m not twisting fact. She was a nightmare to work with, she was unprofessional and she caused problems no end by constantly being late to set. That doesn’t detract from how big a star she actually was - the public don’t care about off screen antics.

She was voted the 6th best actress of all time by the American Film Institute, so it’s not just myself that believes she’s one of the greats. Some Like It Hot (one of her final movies) is regularly called one of the best films of all time too.

Sorry I will have to correct you once again.
She wasn't great actress nor was she lauded as one during her life. Only important award she ever got was Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy for her performance in Some Like It Hot. No Oscar nominations let alone wins, no other important recognition whatsoever. The only ones who called MM the great actress were some French auteurs and critics who prided and deluded themselves in being above and different than the rest of film world.

Next, American Film Institute never published any Best Actor/Actress list. That one you use as a source is called AFI's 100 Years...100 Stars and is used to honor greatest stars of American cinema. Again not best actresses but stars, again not the world but only USA. And even then it is acknowledged her fame and iconic status comes from her untimely and tragic death and her status as a sex symbol.

I'm a huge classic film buff and film collector, my knowledge on the subject goes far beyond fan fantasies and made up stories.
Marilyn Monroe as we know today is product of her tragic faith and public's fascination with such things (again James Dean as another example). She's an Icon and biggest sex symbol of all time and she deserves it, being such a gorgeous woman. But anything other than that are pure fictions with no basis in real history of cinema.
Odyssey
Manager

Postby menime123 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Odyssey wrote:
menime123 wrote:I’m not twisting fact. She was a nightmare to work with, she was unprofessional and she caused problems no end by constantly being late to set. That doesn’t detract from how big a star she actually was - the public don’t care about off screen antics.

Sorry I will have to correct you once again.
She wasn't great actress nor was she lauded as one during her life. Only important award she ever got was Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy for her performance in Some Like It Hot. No Oscar nominations let alone wins, no other important recognition whatsoever. The only ones who called MM the great actress were some French auteurs and critics who prided and deluded themselves in being above and different than the rest of film world.

Next, American Film Institute never published any Best Actor/Actress list. That one you use as a source is called AFI's 100 Years...100 Stars and is used to honor greatest stars of American cinema. Again not best actresses but stars, again not the world but only USA. And even then it is acknowledged her fame and iconic status comes from her untimely and tragic death and her status as a sex symbol.

I'm a huge classic film buff and film collector, my knowledge on the subject goes far beyond fan fantasies and made up stories.
Marilyn Monroe as we know today is product of her tragic faith and public's fascination with such things (again James Dean as another example). She's an Icon and biggest sex symbol of all time and she deserves it, being such a gorgeous woman. But anything other than that are pure fictions with no basis in real history of cinema.
I don’t really care if you’re a film buff or film collector. My background is in casting and production for TV and film. You’re entitled to your opinions and I’m entitled to mine. As you say, she won a Golden Globe for acting. You don’t win one of those if you’re no good at your day job.

Let’s move on.
menime123
Legend

Postby Odyssey » Wed May 09, 2018 6:39 pm

There is no need to be rude. I have given you enough proven facts about the subject, it's not my problem you find it hard to accept them.
Odyssey
Manager

Postby menime123 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:32 am

WEEK 12: THE MOVIES OF... MARLON BRANDO

Let’s give this another go. Happy for people to also suggest future names :)
menime123
Legend

Postby Erotica » Thu May 10, 2018 10:38 am

A Streetcar Named Desire <3

Apocalypse Now is great too, but he isn't the main reason for that
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:33 am

He is so pretty in Streetcar. Such a beautiful man. He was very good in The Godfather though - he deserved his Oscar.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Thu May 10, 2018 3:53 pm

More current actors please. Haha.

Brando is so classically handsome though.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:24 pm

Spartan wrote:More current actors please. Haha.

Not a fan of the oldies? They’re the best :D
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Thu May 10, 2018 6:12 pm

menime123 wrote:

Nah I’ve not seen many and I don’t have much desire to either.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu May 10, 2018 6:42 pm

Spartan wrote:
menime123 wrote:

Nah I’ve not seen many and I don’t have much desire to either.
I didn’t either, but it’s true - they don’t make them like they used to. There’s something lovely in the innocence.
menime123
Legend

Postby Odyssey » Fri May 11, 2018 8:35 pm

He's the best, great choice.
My fave from his golden period is Sayonara. He was much more interesting when he was in his box office poison phase. Burn!, The Night of the Following Day and The Nightcomers are great. Also Reflections in a Golden Eye where he plays closeted gay army major is excellent.
Odyssey
Manager

Postby menime123 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:31 pm

Well, depending on what you believe, he probably wasn’t acting in that one :lol:
menime123
Legend

Return to Movies