Mamma Mia 2: Here We Go Again

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:24 pm

Trailer contains spoilers (or at least hints at a potentially big spoiler) that can be discussed here openly, so proceed at your own risk.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Cher’s line is already iconic 8-) :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Hugo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:00 pm

I'm at loss for words...

What's the point of this?
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby BehindBreakaway » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:13 pm

Wait. Is Donna dead. Wtf. I know they had a 2nd stage show they where working on and that she was going to die in it. But I had hoped and prayed that they wouldn't kill her off. It doesn't look like she even features that much.

Cher however - amazing
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:42 pm

BehindBreakaway wrote:Wait. Is Donna dead. Wtf. I know they had a 2nd stage show they where working on and that she was going to die in it. But I had hoped and prayed that they wouldn't kill her off. It doesn't look like she even features that much.

Cher however - amazing
Meryl has never made a sequel in her life - if she’s back even for a tiny bit of footage needed to tell the story, then that’s a plus imo. Though the trailer does feature new Donna footage - you can tell because she’s stood with Julie Walters, who has different a hair colour this time :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:08 am

And the award for most unnecessary sequel goes to...
Spartan
Legend

Postby WEDway82 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:08 pm

Loved the first film, but this does seem a little pointless. Sure we want to meet these characters again, but not in what seems like a flimsy plot and a seemingly long-time-coming cash in on the popularity of the original.

I think I'd rather they just did a complete prequel and be done with it.

That being said, no doubt I'll end up seeing this at the cinema.
"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby Colbie » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:42 pm

Lily James is so pretty!
Gotta admit im pretty excited for this, as i loved the first movie.
But i hope this wont dissapoint!
Colbie
Superstar

Postby zeus555 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:52 pm

The 2nd 'Mamma Mia!' Film is both a Prequel & a Sequel

I've never seen the 1st Film. I've just watched Clips of the Songs from it on You Tube.

Being a huge ABBA Fan, I see the Films as being excellent at promoting ABBA. The fact that I
- and many other people - think the Films are silly & full of Actors who cannot sing - is of no
relevance, in the end. The Films are tacky, but they do good things for ABBA & on that basis
I cannot fault them.

Some are saying that Film 2 will go straight to DVD & so on, but it will be a huge success. Maybe
not as big as the 1st 'Mamma Mia!' Film but it will rake in Millions at the Cinema, on DVD & on
CD. (The 1st Film came out on DVD in November 2008, in the UK. It sold almost 1,670,000 copies
in 1 day - in the UK alone!). The Soundtrack CD sold over 1,500,000 in the UK, over 1,800,000 in
the USA & well over 5 Million Globally.

So, I think that we can safely say that Film 2 will also make a big impact - across several Media Formats,

A 'New' 'Mamma Mia! 2' Trailer was shown during The Grammy Awards, on Sunday 28th January.

You see part of Cher's performance of 'Fernando' in it.

I find it amusing, how a lot of people who dislike ABBA & who hated the 1st 'Mamma Mia!' Film,
are saying that the 2nd Film is going to flop/bomb - just because they dislike it!

Just as in 2008, people were insisting that the 1st Film would flop, because it was 'crap' & ABBA
are 'rubbish'. It ended up becoming the biggest ever Film in the UK, selling endless Millions on
DVD & CD & getting 'ABBA Gold' to No.1 - for the 5th time - in the UK.

So, people who dislike the 2nd Film, & who dislike ABBA, will have Zero say in whether it is a success!
Just as was the case with the 1st 'Mamma Mia!' Film. (I'm not a Fan of either Film, but I'm not so silly,
as to say they would 'bomb' & 'flop', just because I'm not keen on them!).

Film 2 has some Songs that were in Film 1 - 'Dancing Queen' & 'Mamma Mia', plus a few others. But, most of the ABBA
Songs in Film 2 were not in Film 1.

Just because some of the Film 2 ABBA Songs were 'B' Sides or Album Tracks, does not mean that they are weak.
Not at all. A lot of them were strong enough to be Hit Singles - had they been released as Singles.

These include:

01)... I've Been Waiting For You -- (The 'B' Side of 'So Long' in 1974. From the 1975 'ABBA' Album)
02)... Fernando -- (An ABBA Single from 'Greatest Hits' - 1976. Also from 'Arrival' in a few Countries)
03)... Knowing Me, Knowing You -- ( An ABBA Single from 'Arrival' in 1977)
04)... When I Kissed The Teacher -- (From the 1976 'Arrival' Album)
05)... Why Did It Have To Be Me -- (Rumoured to be in the Film - From 'Arrival' - 1976)
06)... The Name Of The Game -- (An ABBA Single from 'The Album' - 1977. This was Filmed for the 1st Film & then cut from it)
07)... I Wonder (Departure) -- (From 'The Album' - 1977 - A 'Live' version was the 'B' Side of 'The Name Of The Game' in 1977)
08)... Summer Night City -- (A 1978 ABBA Single)
09)... Angel Eyes -- (From a UK Double 'A' Sided Single with 'Voulez Vous' - The 'B' side of 'Voulez Vous' in most Countries.
From 'Voulez Vous' - 1979)
10)... As Good As New -- (From 'Voulez Vous' - 1979)
11)... If It Wasn't For The Nights -- (From 'Voulez Vous' - 1979)
12)... Kisses Of Fire -- (The 'B' Side of 'Does Your Mother Know'. From 'Voulez Vous' - 1979. The latest rumoured ABBA Track
to be in the Film).
13)... One Of Us -- (An ABBA Single from 'The Visitors' - 1981)

From the 1st 'Mamma Mia!' Film, these ABBA Songs appear to be re-used for Film 2:

A)... Waterloo
B)... Mamma Mia
C)... Dancing Queen
D)... I Have A Dream

'Thank You For The Music' may be used again - either wholly, or in part.

Zeus555
Last edited by zeus555 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeus555
Superstar

Postby mattsky » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:55 pm

I can't wait! It's gonna be SO campy!
Haven't been early since '88
mattsky
Superstar

Postby zeus555 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:07 pm

It sounds like Julie Walters 'sings' lead vocals, on 'Angel Eyes', in 'Mamma Mia! 2'.

She cannot sing & she murdered 'Take A Chance On Me' in the 1st 'Mamma Mia! Film.

However, the instrumentation & backing harmonies sound fine on 'Angel Eyes'.

At least Cher & Lily James can actually Sing. Why Benny & Bjorn chose a Cast of
(mainly), Actors who can't Sing, for 2 ABBA Musicals, is one of life's mysteries.

Zeus555
zeus555
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:12 pm

It’s not going to flop - I know they discussed a sequel a hell of a lot and in many ways B&B most probably approached it like an ABBA reunion: absolutely NOT unless it could be as good as the first time around.

I think the re-used songs will appear in flashbacks from when Donna was a young singer in a band, making sense story wise.

Generally I think the cast is brilliant, but Cher is going to steal this - they’re setting her up as the glamorous camp grandmother and frankly, who the hell could be better? :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:14 pm

Some amazing songs in the setlist: When I Kissed The Teacher, Kisses of Fire, One Of Us, Summer Night City, The Name Of The Game. I'd have loved Cassandra and I Let The Music Speak to have been included.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Debs_Wild » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:43 am

I cannot wait for this. Cher is going to be amazing! :P
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby Benny » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:44 am

It doesn't look as if Meryl Streep will be in it, at least judging by the trailers.
Cher is a good remplacement though, she can much better sing! Streep's version of 'The Winner Takes It All' in the first film was atrocious.
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 pm

Streep is much more of a stage singer. I don’t really like the movie version of any of the songs, they’re completely incomparable to the originals.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:16 pm

Benny wrote:It doesn't look as if Meryl Streep will be in it, at least judging by the trailers.
Cher is a good remplacement though, she can much better sing! Streep's version of 'The Winner Takes It All' in the first film was atrocious.
They’ve announced her as part of the cast, so I’m expecting some new footage with her - but Streep has never made a sequel before, so I’m only expecting something small.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Debs_Wild » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Benny wrote:It doesn't look as if Meryl Streep will be in it, at least judging by the trailers.
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby Benny » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:49 pm

Many people believe that Meryl Streep's character will be dead in 'Mamma Mia 2'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk wrote:Could Meryl Streep be dead in Mamma Mia 2?

A new trailer has been released for the ABBA-themed musical Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again - but fans are greeting it with anxiety, not excitement.

The reason? The first film told the tale of her daughter Sophie's (Amanda Seyfried) quest to work out which of Donna's three former lovers is her father before her wedding on the Greek island of Kalokairi.

Sophie returns to the island in the new film, which is both prequel and seque. Via flashbacks, we get the tale of how a younger Donna (played by Darkest Hour and Downton Abbey's Lily James) was wooed by Sam, Harry and Bill in her youth, and in the present day we see Sophie returning to the island with husband Sky (Dominic Cooper) and revealing that she is pregnant.

The joyous announcement seems tinged with a certain sadness though - could this be linked to the fact that Meryl-as-Donna barely appears in the two trailers and has no lines?

Or perhaps it's something to do with the fact that whilst we see her revealing the pregnancy to Sky, and celebrating with her three father-figures (played by Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan and Stellan Skarsgård) and her mother's friends, we don't see her break the momentous news of a future grandchild to her own mother.

There's a clip of her hugging Sophie at her wedding that's lifted from the first film, and she isn't there to greet her best friends (Christine Baranski of The Good Wife and Julie Walters) when they get off the boat. Instead it's up to Sophie, who tells them, "I'm so glad you're here. I'm pregnant, but I don't how to do this by myself." Why would she be by herself?

She also tells Brosnan's Sam in a heavy tone: "I can do this if I can just be as brave as my mom was back then." Whilst impending motherhood can be daunting, unlike Donna she has the support of a husband. So why is she talking about being by herself? Perhaps she is missing the help and wisdom of her mother.

Donna's absence seems to be confirmed when Sophie tells Sky: "I have never felt closer to my mom, in the exact same place that she was, all those years ago, only this time we know who the father is." The phrasing is strange - the first film was set at Villa Donna, a hotel on the island that Streep's character owned. Sophie shouldn't just be feeling emotionally close to her mother's younger self, she should be just a stone's throw away from present-day Donna.

Meryl was definitely involved with the production, as producer Judy Craymer has shared plenty of pictures of her on-set on Instagram, but it's strange that several shots of her in the trailer look as if they could have been pulled from the first ABBA-themed outing.

In the present-day clips, Donna is repeatedly referred to in the third person and past tense,and much is made of Sophie spending time with her mother's former bandmates Tanya and Rosie, but there are no shots of present-day Donna with them. It's almost as if Donna is gone, and Sophie has taken up her place.

And why isn't Donna there with everyone else to meet her own mother, a fabulous caricature played by Cher?

This has not gone unnoticed by fans, who have seemed positively griefstricken by the possibility of no more Meryl.

So what's going on? The official Twitter account is working very hard to ignore fans who ask the obvious question, so it seems we won't know until the film is released in the UK on July 27.
Benny
Legend

Postby menime123 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:53 pm

There were rumours years ago when MM2 was going to be a west end show, that Donna had been killed off in the script. So I think she has tbh.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:37 pm

I like they are using a lot of ABBA's lesser known songs since I thought from the trailer it was going to be a retread with the exact same damn songs all over again

But I do feel like despite loving ABBA's music and loving seeing Cher in a new movie, it does seem like a sequel nobody asked for
NothingFails
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 pm

Havent watched the first one yet, so I can’t really have an opinion.

But is the Cher character an honest character? Or was a throw in for some attempt at additional star power?
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby Spartan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:22 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Havent watched the first one yet, so I can’t really have an opinion.

But is the Cher character an honest character? Or was a throw in for some attempt at additional star power?
The latter more than likely, especially if Meryl's role in very short/non-existent.
Spartan
Legend

Postby alfiebot » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:56 am

Watched the 1st movie a few days ago, it's a lot of fun!

And yeah, there were a few mentions of Donna's mother (Cher's character) and how she didn't approve Donna's choice etc. So, she was already in the story in a way.

Also, now I get why Cher didn't take the role of Tanya in the 1st movie, it's way too similar to how Cher's persona is perceived by the general public so it would be tricky to play a character which is not 'Cher' but very 'Cher' at the same time...
Cher
51 singles on Billboard Hot100~Top 10 albums in 5 decades~110+ million records sold
Oscar~Grammy~Emmy~Golden Globe winner
Touring force
Legend

alfiebot
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:01 am

I can't at Cher playing Meryl's mom... there's only a three year difference plus Cher's always been very youthful and vibrant for her age too.
NothingFails
Legend

Return to Movies