Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby BlueScorpion » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 pm

THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI is a darkly comic drama from Academy Award nominee Martin McDonagh (In Bruges). After months have passed without a culprit in her daughter's murder case, Mildred Hayes (Academy Award winner Frances McDormand) makes a bold move, painting three signs leading into her town with a controversial message directed at William Willoughby (Academy Award nominee Woody Harrelson), the town's revered chief of police. When his second-in-command Officer Dixon (Sam Rockwell), an immature mother's boy with a penchant for violence, gets involved, the battle between Mildred and Ebbing's law enforcement is only exacerbated.
Frances Mcdormand is unbeatable here. Huge acting.
You ain't gotta break down,
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby spiritboy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Great movie, all actors did a great job imo. Frances and Sam Rockwell will definitely win Oscars with this movie.
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:21 pm

Does someone want to discuss the ending? We better use the spoiler option if so.
You ain't gotta break down,
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby westhammer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07 pm

An amazing film, one of the best I've seen in years! It will be hard to top. So many emotions!

The two actors mentioned above are shoe ins for Oscar wins!

I liked the ending!
You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er
westhammer
Legend

Postby Graham76man » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Presumably will get an Oscar for the oddest title for a movie!
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Spartan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:58 pm

McDormand and Rockwell are the front-runners to be nominated in their respective categories. Rockwell has no real competition, and the only one who comes relatively close to McDormand is Hawkins. Unless the Academy are gonna give it to Streep for being Streep.
Spartan
Legend

Postby thebigham » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:06 am

I loved this, but then it dragged on and just became kind of unbelievable.

But, I did like the ending. Teamwork!
thebigham
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:56 am

Spartan wrote:McDormand and Rockwell are the front-runners to be nominated in their respective categories. Rockwell has no real competition, and the only one who comes relatively close to McDormand is Hawkins. Unless the Academy are gonna give it to Streep for being Streep.
While Frances did an incredible job, i low-key root for Sally Hawkins as Frances already has an Oscar. The nominations will be out on January 23rd.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:04 am

spiritboy wrote:
Spartan wrote:McDormand and Rockwell are the front-runners to be nominated in their respective categories. Rockwell has no real competition, and the only one who comes relatively close to McDormand is Hawkins. Unless the Academy are gonna give it to Streep for being Streep.
While Frances did an incredible job, i low-key root for Sally Hawkins as Frances already has an Oscar. The nominations will be out on January 23rd.
I haven’t seen either movie yet but I’d love Hawkins to win, such an underrated actress. I wouldn’t even care if she won for Paddington 2.
Spartan
Legend

Postby SawyerHewitt » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Been wanting to go see this one for some time now.
Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.
SawyerHewitt
Superstar

Postby Benny » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:06 pm

Just watched it, loved the actors, especially Sam Rockwell.
Benny
Legend

Postby Fan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:48 am

This was such an outstanding movie. I went to see it without even seeing the trailer and barely knowing what it was about, but was so impressed. The acting is superb and the movie made me both laugh out loud and cry a little. Oscars are definitely deserved here.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Rihab » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:21 pm

Saw this last week cause my university gave me two free tickets for the German pre-premiere or whatever. Definitely deserves all of the praise it’s getting.
Rihab
Legend

Postby Muzikritik » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:36 am

I saw it this week and for me it was one of those films that truly deserved all of its recognition.

Everything technical was beautiful and the performances were outstanding, even the minor characters. McDormand is a quiet force in this though. Would love her to win.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Graham76man » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:12 pm

Just scooped most of the BAFTA's including best picture tonight.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby spiritboy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:24 pm

4 Oscars in the bag.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Just watched this last night as my partner bought the blu-ray (nowadays it's cheaper to just preorder the movie on Amazon than it is to go to the cinema and pay to see it) I really liked it while admitting to not knowing much about it going into watching. Somewhat reminds me of a movie that could've been made in the mid-late 90s, and that's not a bad thing. Kind of feels like a Coen Brothers movie. Really loved Francis McDormand in it, and Sam Rockwell stole the film and hope he wins Best Supporting Actor.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby AndiIversen » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:00 am

I enjoyed Sam's performance here, the story not so much, I mean talk about hammering ideas onto an allegedly idiot audience, found it very condescending that way. I guess this will win MOTY
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:37 pm

Just watched this on a flight. Very good although it became outlandish after the police station fire.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Spartan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:10 pm

biscuits wrote:Just watched this on a flight. Very good although it became outlandish after the police station fire.
Just came back from seeing this and I kinda get what you mean.

Character development was great though, especally from Sam Rockwell’s character. Mcdormand was fantastic, so were Rockwell and Harrelson. I like that it had some humour, the film was certainly better of for it.
Spartan
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:21 pm

I don't understand why Harrelson had higher billing than Rockwell given his character is only in the first half of the movie. I know Mr. star of Cheers and Natural Born Killers is a bigger name than Rockwell but he probably only has 1/3 the screentime.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:39 pm

NothingFails wrote:I don't understand why Harrelson had higher billing than Rockwell given his character is only in the first half of the movie. I know Mr. star of Cheers and Natural Born Killers is a bigger name than Rockwell but he probably only has 1/3 the screentime.
It seems you answered your own question there. :lol:
Spartan
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:43 pm

Well, Sam Rockwell isn't exactly chopped liver. And there are many times where a bigger "name" gets lower billing for the fact they're not as important to the story. Martin Freeman is probably the biggest name in Black Panther for example.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby biscuits » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:52 pm

I’m one of the few who wasn’t convinced by Rockwell’s performance. Was quite hammy at times
biscuits
The Diva

Postby menime123 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:58 pm

Late to the party but what a great movie. I wish it had been half an hour longer and some of the characters fleshed out more - there was so much potential that I think it would work great as a TV series in a few years, focusing on the town and its residents more.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Return to Movies