Black Panther

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Did 'Black Panther' live up to the hype?

Yes
67%
No
21%
Somewhat
13%

Total votes : 24

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:36 am

I plan on watching this a second time this weekend.

Ewokguy15 wrote:
Goldmoney wrote:I’d like to know who voted “no”. Or at least just take a good look at them.
I voted no because I’m working a lot at the moment and don’t have the time. I’m hopefully seeing it next weekend. Not everything is about racism which is what it looks like you are getting at with your comment.
True, not everything, but goodness gracious, I've seen some vile comments from racists regarding this film. The idea of black people being portrayed as superheroes from a powerful, technologically advanced nation, rather than as slaves or some other disadvantaged victim is a serious cause of concern for some.
My Tribute to Janet Jackson: [#1 Revealed!]

I lost myself to music at a very early age, and I remained there.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:25 am

I really wanna watch this but I may not get to go see it
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby Pompeii » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Absolutely loved every second of this! And I kind of love that it is happening at a time when people like the president of the US, his poisonous little cadre and the alt-right in so many countries are trying to drag us back to some of the most shameful periods of this world’s history. It’s kind of like a big middle finger to all of that and that so many people are out of their minds excited for this movie and that it is rewarded and appreciated so much makes me happy.
Last edited by Pompeii on Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pompeii
Legend

Postby Loki0012 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Its an okay film. Its overhyped because of the black culture representation thing. Nothing groundbreaking but enjoyable.
MY PERSONAL CHARTS
NA NA NA NA OH OH
Loki0012
Superstar

Postby Muzikritik » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:41 pm

I would say that the depiction of African and African-American culture makes it groundbreaking. And for several reasons.

The first and most obvious, that the titular superhero character is a person of colour.
Secondly, that this is not the anomaly. There are multiple strong warriors/heroes that are people of colour in this film.
Third, it portrays nearly all people of colour in a positive light, save for the main villain of the piece and a supporting character whose story arc follows a redemption narrative.
And fourth and in my opinion, the most groundbreaking aspect was how it represents women of colour. Every single female character here is smart, strong, good-natured and able to hold her own against the male characters. They enter combat valiantly to defend their culture and support their people. They are given positions of trust, responsibility and influence. They also happen to be black. Superhero films, Marvel/DC, Hollywood in general, has never allowed this many examples of female empowerment in a single movie.

As a mix-raced person, I applauded in the theatre. And I saw the film with two white males who enjoyed it, no more, no less. That's fine and I get it.

But in the annals of Hollywood history, this film - for all its fancy special effects and set pieces - will be a major turning point in black cinema.

[/Thesis]
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby thankfulforkelly » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Saw this today and enjoyed it a lot. The visuals are great and I loved for all the costumes. Was so refreshing not to see a blockbuster film filled with Caucasians too tbh :lol:
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby bm08 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:10 am

Thoroughly enjoyed this last night.. The display of culture via music, costume, etc was just so epic. I wished there were more action scenes but the underlying message was so powerful it made up for it somewhat. Great watch.
bm08
Superstar

Postby spiritboy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:52 pm

I'll wait for the dvd because they are showing this in 3D and 3D cinemas suck in Turkey :lol:

I'm glad this is doing fantastic though.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:11 pm

I just wonder how many "I hate Marvel but I;'m supporting this" people who came out liking this are going to go and see Infinity War in May... because guess what, Black Panther is in it too,

A coworker was talking about this at work and I kind of agreed with her... people who like Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, etc.... are going to also go to the teamup movies as well, but she thinks a lot of people seeing Black Panther for the "cause" will be nowhere near the cinema in three months when Black Panther becomes one of the Avengers.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:26 pm

Muzikritik wrote:And fourth and in my opinion, the most groundbreaking aspect was how it represents women of colour. Every single female character here is smart, strong, good-natured and able to hold her own against the male characters. They enter combat valiantly to defend their culture and support their people. They are given positions of trust, responsibility and influence. They also happen to be black. Superhero films, Marvel/DC, Hollywood in general, has never allowed this many examples of female empowerment in a single movie.
I was particularly impressed by that aspect of the film, too.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:36 pm

NothingFails wrote:I just wonder how many "I hate Marvel but I;'m supporting this" people who came out liking this are going to go and see Infinity War in May... because guess what, Black Panther is in it too,

A coworker was talking about this at work and I kind of agreed with her... people who like Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, etc.... are going to also go to the teamup movies as well, but she thinks a lot of people seeing Black Panther for the "cause" will be nowhere near the cinema in three months when Black Panther becomes one of the Avengers.
No, one comic book film at a time is enough for me. The fact that I’ve seen one is already straddling the lines between my convictions and my conduct. :lol:

I shall be supporting the franchise tho should there be sequels. 8-)
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby jpguy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:04 pm

Really loved this movie
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:26 am

I am so very excited to see this
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby Damiennatas1 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:37 pm

This was so unbelievably meh.
I am obsessed with Tammie Brown!
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby Hugo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:48 pm

The sucess is mind-blowing and I couldn't be happier, but I gave up on superhero films, it's all the same shtick now and it bores me to death. There's no way I'm entering Marvel's childish fare, but I'll recommend this to my little cousins.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Ewokguy15 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:36 am

I enjoyed the film, love that it wasn’t set in America.
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:06 am

Hugo wrote:The sucess is mind-blowing and I couldn't be happier, but I gave up on superhero films, it's all the same shtick now and it bores me to death. There's no way I'm entering Marvel's childish fare, but I'll recommend this to my little cousins.
You might like BP even if you don't like superhero films in general. One of the things that really made it stand out for me was how much of a character drama it is. Most Marvel films have LOTS of smashing and usually undercut any potential character moment or climactic moment or emotional moment with some sort of joke, but BP mostly avoided this. BP allows the character development to happen without feeling the need to rely on excessive one-liners. Plus, there is very little large scale action when compared to the typical Marvel film. In short BP is the least "Marvel-like" MCU film since The Incredible Hulk (2008).
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby ThaInfo1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:42 am

I just love the whole concept of "this is what Africa would be if it wasn't invaded" that this movie displays. It touches my spirit :cry:
'SCAPE
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:40 pm

Hugo wrote:The sucess is mind-blowing and I couldn't be happier, but I gave up on superhero films, it's all the same shtick now and it bores me to death. There's no way I'm entering Marvel's childish fare, but I'll recommend this to my little cousins.
Didn't feel like a Superhero movie, only slightly at parts. You should watch it, it's fun. Oh and definitely watch Deadpool
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby Damiennatas1 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:28 am

I wouldn’t recommend it then because this is exactly how I felt about this film. I adore Marvel but it was everything cliché about a superhero movie topped with a mind-numbingly boring storyline and poor CGI.
I am obsessed with Tammie Brown!
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby Nippian93 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:53 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:45 am

This was pretty much a given, though I'm not sure the film really warrants a sequel. Hopefully, it's close to the level of awesomeness as this first one.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:51 am

I will catch the sequel too. :cry:
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby KEY9481 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:30 pm

‘Black Panther’ Leaps Across $1 Billion At The Worldwide Box Office

Disney/Marvel’s Black Panther has leapt across the $1B mark globally. The Ryan Coogler-helmed superhero phenomenon gets to the milestone today, its 26th day of release, and is now Walt Disney Studios’ 16th title and the MCU’s 5th ever to pass $1B. The film is at $531M domestic and is crossing $500M at the international box office this weekend, bolstered by a strong start in China where it’s now at about $49M after two days.

The $1B worldwide milestone is the latest impressive feat for the Wakanda warrior. Black Panther is also the No. 9 movie of all time domestically and will this frame become the No. 2 superhero movie ever, passing The Dark Knight.

Among the other stats are the top February domestic debut ever at $202M (3-day)/$242.1M (4-day); the No. 5 all-time 3-day start; the No. 1 Monday ($40.1M) of all time; the No. 2 Sunday ever ($60M); the No. 2 ever second weekend ($111.6M); and the No. 1 non-holiday third weekend ($66.3M).

Worldwide, BP joins The Avengers, Avengers: Age Of Ultron, Iron Man 3 and Captain America: Civil War in the $1B club.

We will have full updated figures tomorrow. In the meantime, BP‘s China bow portends a Middle Kingdom weekend opening in the high-$60M to low-$70M range.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/black-panth ... 202331238/
5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018
KEY9481
Manager

Postby Muzikritik » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:43 pm

Hell. Yes.

Here's hoping it's a sign of more things to come. Mainstream blockbusters that represent all colours and creeds of the human race.

#peace #love #hippy
Muzikritik
Legend

Return to Movies