What Movie Did You Just Watch?

Postby nas » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:36 pm

The Descent (2005)

Surely one of the most overrated horrors, it's even worse than I remembered. The part where they get trapped in the cave is scarier than anything that happens later on with the creatures. The action is terrible, it's all jumpy quick shots so it's hard to focus on anything, even harder because it's so dark! There is one good OMG moment but the longer the film goes on the less believable it all becomes and I didn't care about any of the characters. 2/10

The Descent: Part 2 (2009)

This is even less believable than the first one, starts ok but once they enter the cave it quickly goes downhill, annoying characters and lots of OTT gore. It's easier to see whats going on though. I would rate it even lower but it gains points for the ending and the scene when the main characters get shitted on. Being trapped in a cave with creatures is a great idea for a horror especially if you're claustrophobic like me, the execution is really poor though in both films. 3/10
nas
Manager

Postby Benny » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Fantastic movie with an excellent Sean Penn. So touchy in the end.
Benny
Legend

Postby MrRager » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:13 pm

The Belko Experiment - Awesome!
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby WEDway82 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:06 am

Kon-Tiki - meh. I guess a film about them drifiting in a raft in the pacific was never going to be a edge of the seat type film.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - ok, but clearly felt like the setup for the next film (which was not surprisingly promoted during the ad breaks).
Gravity - VFX were good, but boy what a boring film
Men in Black III - some good moments, but not a great film.
The Last Starfighter - not seen it in years. I was surprised how good the early CG effects were (by 1983/4 standards).
"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby nas » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Jurassic Park (1993)

I remember the hype when this was first released and I came out the cinema disappointed. Take Spielbergs classic Jaws, it had fantastic characters and memorable dialogue among other things, it's like the shark was secondary and it had to be really. That's not the case here, dino's come first, if you take away the dino action which isn't that much and the nice music it has little else to offer. Jeff Goldblum is alright but these characters are forgettable really. Also why would Sam Neill's character pretend to get electrocuted and start shouting his head off, wouldn't that attract unwanted attention...seems like a dumb thing for someone with his experince to do. The raptors at the end are great but it's not enough, Jurassic Park isn't a bad film just very mediocre. 5.5/10
nas
Manager

Postby Muzikritik » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:00 am

I saw War For the Planet of the Apes and I was seriously blown away.

I liked Rise and thought it was well done... but never bothered with Dawn. Me and a mate went to see this and I was totally taken in.

The pacing, the script, the performances...... absolutely stunning.

Seriously my film of the year so far. And I'm no King Kong fan.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby nekoocz » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:57 pm

With Open Arms
nekoo.cz - follow me
nekoocz
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:00 am

This was absolutely brilliant, as I knew it would be.

"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:42 am

I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Grybop » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:37 pm

^^ I like bleak movies and this had so much potential - I remember being disappointed in the end. 6/10

I saw Nocturnal Animals without knowing anything about the plot and I found it really really good. 8 or 9/10
Split Boring Shyamalan. Please retire. 4/10
The Diary of a Teenage Girl Surprisingly well done. 8/10
Barefoot in the Park 6/10
It Comes at Night 7/10
The King of Comedy 8/10
Top Gun SERIOUSLY? 3/10
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:13 pm

After my favourite athlete declared this as her favourite movie, I decided to watch it, and it was all right.

"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:14 pm

Grybop wrote:^^ I like bleak movies and this had so much potential - I remember being disappointed in the end. 6/10
well I liked it overall :)

James Bond - From Russia With Love
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby grooveboy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:27 pm

I randomly came across this film and it was one of the most depressing I have ever seen. And when I found out it was based on a true story... :o :cry:
It was beautifully shot and Oksana Akinishina made an outstanding performance as Lilya.
grooveboy
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:36 pm

This had a twist that I wasn't expecting, but otherwise, it was good.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Grybop » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:31 pm

Fences
Stupefyingly bad transfer of a play to celluloid. Pointless borefest that not even Viola could save. 3/10
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby WEDway82 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:07 pm

Been catching up on quite a few flims recently. I'll keep it brief.

Deadpool 3/5 - bit too coarse for my tastes, but I expected as much.
X-Men Apocolypse - 3/5 Good but not great. I feel the X-Men films are the weak link in the Marvel films now.
Dr. Strange 2/5 - Good effects, but disappointing plot.
Hail Ceaser 2/5 - Nice production. Dull plot.

Passengers 4/5 - Far better than I expected. Clever premise.

Victoria & Abdul. 4/5 - It may not be 100% historically accurate, but thoroughly enjoyable.
"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby JJeffs » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Amityville Horror (1979)

I've watched it a few times throughout my life. I was horrified as a kid renting the VHS in the 80s. That era's real aesthetic benefits the movie a lot. The remake with Ryan Reynolds wasn't bad, but like MOST remakes/reboots of 70s/80s horror films, it's a wannabe for me by default.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby spiritboy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:08 pm

It was okay.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby JJeffs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:46 am

The Stanford Prison Experiment (2015) on Netflix.

Based on a true story and really well done. The acting, the early 70s look, the way it keeps you guessing as to what in the hell will happen next. How far will it/they go? And then how it ends and what it says. Super relevant.

JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby JJeffs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:50 am

spiritboy wrote:It was okay.
I was excited to see The Beguiled in the theatre this summer. About halfway through, my excitement turned into me checking my watch. It was so sluggish and dark (literally) that I couldn't wait for it to wrap up. The end just kinda left me feeling nothing. I didn't have anything to think about.

Not terrible - it had some things going for it. But yeah, just okay.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 pm

spiritboy wrote:Image

Such a touching movie, cried my eyes out :cry:
I just watched it. I am super imrpessed and touched.
I haven't cried that much while watching a movie for a long time.
Simply beautifully told. It deserves like a shitload of Oscars.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Erotica » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Yes, Lion is a great movie. Sadly didn't win an Oscar :/

Fatal Attraction
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Last night, I went to the movies and saw "Geostorm".

I have a thing for apocalyptic scenarios portrayed in movies but after "2012" which was utterly horrendous I was a bit scared to be disappointed again but seriously, I am really surprised that "Geostorm" did everything right what was wrong about "2012" - The visually stunning movie has an actual interesting twist and the jokes are not as dumb, predictable and stupid as in "2012" - It's not cheesy at all and seriously, it's as brilliant as "The Day After Tomorrow" but it's more political and science-fictional.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:59 am

This was so much better than I expected it would be!

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:06 am

JSparksFan wrote:This was so much better than I expected it would be!

Clueless is amazing.

I just watched Jeepers Creepers 3 last night. Wasn't as good as the first 2.

On Halloween we watched a film called Mischief Night, it was set the day before Halloween and is basically about a blind girl trying to stay alive in her house when someone is trying to kill her. It was a bit low budget but was still fun to watch!
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Roadie

Return to Movies