What Movie Did You Just Watch?

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby Yoshie » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Yoshie
Legend

Postby trebor » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:59 pm

Just brilliant! Masterfully fools you and misleads you step by step as the events unfold when recounted in retrospect. Intense build-up with an unexpected final.
For fans of Mystery/Thriller type of films.
trebor
Legend

Postby Yoshie » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:18 pm

I thought it was clumsy and badly acted. It could have pushed its themes, which were very promising, much further than it did.
Yoshie
Legend

Postby Yoshie » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:20 pm

This, however, is absolutely fantastic. Brutal and savage, but brilliant and powerful from beginning to end. I loved it.
Yoshie
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:43 pm

Good movie. Frances McDormand was great. But Sam Rockwell rocks it and he's the most likely candidate to be nominated and win Best Supporting Actor Oscar this year.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:03 pm

Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby Odyssey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:52 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Image
Did you like the movie? It's one of my fave Disney films in the past 10 years.
Odyssey
Manager

Postby Spartan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:57 pm

Can’t believe this is 25 years old, it holds up so well in the SFX department.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Yoshie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:37 pm

Tom Rhys Harries <3
Yoshie
Legend

Postby Yoshie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:43 pm

I checked this out after seeing the advertisement for it on the Eat DVD and I thought the trailer looked intriguing. The tagline of a review compared it to the work of David Lynch, who is my favourite director. I can see the comparisons to his work as the way that the film is shot is abstract and there is a heavy emphasis on visuals and atmosphere. The anti-Hollywood theme of the movie is one that interests me greatly in film which is another positive that drew me to wanting to see it. Unfortunately, I found the acting cringeworthy and poor and much of the writing to be third rate; to answer the tagline of the review I saw, if an amateur director attempted to imitate David Lynch, Starry Eyes might be the end result. I was disappointed with it and am surprised to see it have such a respectable 75% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I felt that a lot of the aspects of the film made it easy for critics to potentially slander it.
Yoshie
Legend

Postby Thriller » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:39 pm

★★★½
Thriller

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:15 pm

Odyssey wrote:Did you like the movie? It's one of my fave Disney films in the past 10 years.
I really enjoyed it! (Actually that's an understatement, I loved it!). The part in the boat with the lanterns - complete crying mess I was.
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby Yoshie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Yoshie
Legend

Postby Yoshie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:09 pm

I've been wanting to see this film for some time now after it drew comparisons to Mulholland Dr. which is far and away my favourite film of all-time. As I said when talking about Starry Eyes a few posts up, I love films that tackle an anti-Hollywood subtext. While The Neon Demon is visually stunning, I think the thematic aspects of the film that highlight Hollywood as destructive and dangerous are a little too obviously handled here, too apparent without any hint of subtlety; it's as though the director Nicolas Winding Refn doesn't have enough faith in his audience to acknowledge such themes with any imagination, ambiguity or interpretation on the audience's part. I haven't watched his other films, so I'm unfamiliar with his work on the whole. I'm glad I saw this, but for all its visual beauty I think it's a very flawed work.

Edit: I'm lying, I keep forgetting that Drive is his direction. :lol: :oops: It's the only other of his films that I've seen, and I enjoyed that a lot more than this one, which was probably helped by the always watchable, always beautiful Ryan Gosling. :lol: :oops:
Yoshie
Legend

Postby Yoshie » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:18 pm

Yoshie
Legend

Postby Yoshie » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:01 pm

It was very watchable and the suspense was handled well, but for M. Night Shyamalan's I thought it was fairly plain.
Yoshie
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:39 pm

Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby BlueScorpion » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Yoshie wrote:Image
Didn't know about this. Thoughts?

I'm still reading the book by Stephen King :)
"Side effects be drowsiness / Loneliness / How is this? / I think they call it hateration / What can you prescribe for this?"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby jio » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:14 pm

So happy for Yoshie's reviews of many horror movies I haven't seen. I am a horror fan myself too but recently I find myself struggling to find a horror with a plot which doesn't sound boring. So I have seen "The Triangle" (boring), "It Comes At Night" (I think I liked it as far as I can remember), "The Forest" (boring) and "Green Inferno" (OK). Several of the other films mentioned pop up as suggestions from time to time but they all have unattractive plots to me. I might check out "Border Lands" (A.K.A. Final Prayer) though, sounds kinda interesting.
jio
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:44 pm

spiritboy
Legend

Postby trebor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:27 am

This is TERRIBLE! (What was I thinking)
The initial idea may be somewhat promising but it's absolute trash. Bad acting, predictable from the very beginning, boring characters and implausible situations and chain of events, loose ends, etc.

Stupid AF but very likeable and very well done. Space buddy romp movie and super hero spoof. Loveable characters.
trebor
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 am

Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby BlueScorpion » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:57 am

The disaster artist. I was so skeptical but it's a great movie. :D
"Side effects be drowsiness / Loneliness / How is this? / I think they call it hateration / What can you prescribe for this?"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Yoshie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:27 pm

I really want to see The Disaster Artist! I'm a huge fan of the Franco brothers and wanted to catch it while it's out, but I don't think that I can find the time to put aside to see it at this moment. Would you recommend it, BlueScorpion?

@jio, I'm glad I could help in some way! I try to be as objective as I can when watching and analysing films, but maybe you'd find something in the horrors I've spoken about that I didn't.

A collection of four short films that I found to be well shot and nicely executed. I thought they were engaging and I enjoyed watching it a lot. I do tend to enjoy anthology collections that box together several works in one piece.
Yoshie
Legend

Postby Yoshie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:31 pm

BlueScorpion wrote:
Yoshie wrote:Image
Didn't know about this. Thoughts?

I'm still reading the book by Stephen King :)
I thought it was very intriguing and clever, playing on the different ideas that sexual activity can bring about from male and female perspectives. The themes of double identities that the movie deals with is another favourite theme of mine in cinema. Are you enjoying the book? I would definitely recommend the film if so, and Stephen King himself spoke very highly of it.

I'm put off by reading a lot of Stephen King's works myself because I found him to be very smug and unlikeable in the On Writing text he wrote as well as in several interviews I've seen. I guess if anyone was as successful as him, they'd be smug too! :lol: I would like to read and see The Green Mile, though.
Yoshie
Legend

Return to Movies