Dreamgirls [2006]

Postby kushi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:47 am

Dreamgirls follows the rise of a trio of women who have formed a promising girl group- The Dreamettes. At a talent competition, they get the opportunity of a lifetime: to become the back-up singers for headliner James “Thunder” Early. Though the Dreams become a crossover phenomenon, they soon realize that the cost of fame and fortune may be higher than they ever imagined
Stars Beyonce, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Hudson, Danny Glover, and Eddie Murphy! :D

View The Teaser Trailer!

Dreamgirls is in US theatres December 22nd!
Thriller wrote:Not a real song, post it in one of your hit This N That threads
kushi
Legend

Postby kushi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:51 am

kushi
Legend

Postby kushi » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:49 am

I actually like Listen, after hating her entire album, and im quite looking forward to this movie, but it seems a tad over-hyped to me...
kushi
Legend

Postby lenor » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:58 pm

this movie really does look good, cant wait till december
lenor
Superstar

Postby gaz_uk » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:50 pm

I have a feeling this will be quite cheesy.
"I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"
gaz_uk
Superstar

Postby BronxBadBoi » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:02 am

It looks good...I'm not checking for beyonce to bring it...I know Jennifer Hudson will do the damn thing with her role as Effie...
Favorite new shows this fall season '06

1. Heroes
2. Ugly Betty
3. Six Degrees
BronxBadBoi
Superstar

Postby child_destinys » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:03 am

gaz_uk wrote:I have a feeling this will be quite cheesy.
Me too, but I think it'll be good and the soundtrack should be something special too!
You said turn around so I cannot see your tears falling...
child_destinys
Legend

Postby kushi » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:50 am

kushi
Legend

Postby tada » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:27 am

can't wait for Beyoncé....+ soundtrack, OMG!
tada
Legend

Postby kushi » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:04 am

existing topic.
kushi
Legend

Postby kushi » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:40 am

existing topic!
kushi
Legend

Postby StevieFM » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:32 am

Yeah sorry bout that, when I searched for an existing topic I didn't search for Dreamgirls as one word - apologies!

Here's my review:

Me and my friends went out tonight hoping to see Blood Diamond – the new Leo Dicaprio film – but unfortunately that was sold out, so we went to see Dream Girls instead. Dream Girls was supposed to be a good film. It got great reviews, was nominated for Oscars, had respectable actors like Eddie Murphy and Jamie Foxx in it – so we thought we were in for a great movie. God, how wrong could we be.

Now, I generally try not to say things that I don’t mean, and I tend to stay away from making sweeping statements, but I can quite honestly say that it was the worst film I have ever seen in my entire life. And remember, I’ve seen Godzilla, Brokeback Mountain and High School Musical, to name just a few rubbish movies I've wasted my time on. Well I’d sooner sit through any of them again than watch a second more of Dream Girls. The acting was pathetic, the plot was weak, the singers in it over sang and didn’t hold their notes (just like Beyonce in real life), it was a corny, cheesy, pathetic excuse for a film, and I would strongly advise everybody to avoid it like the plague. Eddie Murphy & Jamie Foxx should be ashamed of themselves for putting their names to such a weak film, and I’m furious at the entire production team for having wasted my Saturday night. Those are two hours of my life I am never getting back. I’d say Beyonce should stick to singing, but then again she’s been pretty hopeless at that recently too, so I’ve pretty much lost all respect for her now. Horrible horrible horrible film. Yuck.
StevieFM
Superstar

Postby gaz_uk » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:56 pm

In Stevie's earlier duplicate thread, I wrote:Well I never intended to see this anyway. :lol:
"I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"
gaz_uk
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:21 pm

I was intrigued by this, but after Stevie's review I'm not so sure! :o
Thriller

Postby StevieFM » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:18 am

:lol: lol, to be fair I do know people that have really loved it, it just obviously wasn't to my taste :lol: . If anyone does go see it, I'd be very interested to hear what they thought.
StevieFM
Superstar

Postby gaz_uk » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:43 pm

Nah I'll just take your word for it, and save myself £5. :lol:
gaz_uk
Superstar

Postby arronlei » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:24 pm

so i saw it last night i really liked it :D

ok it was far too long and the plot line bit ropey but it was the musical performances i really enjoyed esp jennifer hudson
arronlei
Manager

Postby aaliyahman » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:07 pm

I feel blessed! :D Great great film!
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby anastaciafan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:54 pm

i loved it!
But i'm a big gay, so... lol!
anastaciafan
Personal Assistant

Postby Blondini » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:12 pm

It divebombed from #1 to #8 on UK box office! One of the biggest drops in history! Now #10. Beyonce fans rushed first week, eh? Obviuosly, the Supremes were not quite as big here as in the UK, so watching a similar story would only have niche appeal here.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby jamiedazzled » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:42 pm

I went to see this last night, what the hell!?! It's one of the most bizarre, cheesy, pointless movies I've ever seen, makes Spice World look like a masterpiece
jamiedazzled
Manager

Postby Star » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:09 pm

I really wanted to like this, but it was hard. Jennifer Hudson - Best Supporting Actress? - She was the lead. And over-rated anyway. She was just a moody cow throughout. No spectacular displays of acting. Beyonce, what do I say, I love her as an artist, but she still doesn't act very well. She's not cringe-worthy to watch though. And has improved a bit. Her ''role of a lifetime'' wasn't even that great, it had very miniscule substance. The only good bit was when they played Listen - and the parts around it. Oh and the end! :P - I wanted to throw stuff at the screen when they were singing their lines, and over-doing it. I know it's a musical, and I did expect it, but it just didn't work well. Thinking back now, I really wanted to throw stuff (possibly shoes) at Jennifer Hudson's face; she was so scary in one song in particular. :x . The costumes were nice, and some of the songs too. My rating: 3/10
Star
Sensational

Postby shereeful » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:30 am

The girls i dream are my favourite actress Melissa George and Jennifer Garner...From one of my favourite movie Alias..
shereeful
Groupie

Postby LoseMyBreath » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:40 pm

shereeful wrote:The girls i dream are my favourite actress Melissa George and Jennifer Garner...From one of my favourite movie Alias..
Hey its Angel! :o
Three days in a row,you were my love,and I haven't seen you since that day
LoseMyBreath
Manager

Postby Zuzu18 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:48 pm

The movie really is nothing more than average. I was hugely dissapointed by the hype, but should have expected less. The story line was not as powerful as the true story was, and i think it was ridiculous how they edited the full extent of the trajedy becuase of not wanting to pay out to certin characters.

Beyonce played a hugely unconvincing, and mediocare role. Her heavy country accent was miles out of place, and her inability to tone it done with her vocals shows a lack of unproffessionalism. It seemed she just did what she always does when it comes to her singing, in the movie where she was meant to play a less able vocalist. It was a weak performance.

Jeniffer Hudson was grossly overrated too, i thought her performance was by far the best by any actor in the movie but nowhere near Oscar NOMINATION worthy. That was stupid.

Jamie Foxx gave an alright performance, and Eddie Murphy was good to watch.

The costume and set was done very well, and i have to say it was edited quite well.

But overall, a 4.5/10. Average.
Check out my page, and the mad love from Brandy:

www.myspace.com/zuzushafi
http://twitter.com/ZuZuBrandy
Zuzu18
Manager

Return to Movies