Inception

Postby nicktigatiga » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:54 am

Got this from AD comments, I agree with most of them but I am not so sure with number 4 :lol:
Eams & Saito OR Eams & Arthur's chemistry??

For the record let’s state 5 things: (INCEPTION SPOILERS BELOW)

1. Cobb was not dreaming at the end. His kids were wearing different clothes and were played by two sets of kids. The ending was supposed to be the irony of dreams and reality. It was coincidence and deja vu that his kids were playing like that in the backyard again.

2. Ariadne performed an “inception” on Cobb. She placed the idea that he should let his dead wife go and move on back in reality with his kids. Her name comes from Greek mythology, Ariadne freed Theseus from the Minotaur’s labyrinth.

3. The “top” was not his totem. It was his wedding ring. The top was there a “MacGuffin” or red herring to trick the audience. He ONLY wore his ring in the dreamworld from the very beginning of the movie. And NEVER wore it in reality.

4. Eams was homosexual.

5. Christopher Nolan is a genius.

nicktigatiga
Roadie

Postby shrimpy_boy11 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:35 am

One of the best movies ive seen.

Its tied in first place for favourite of the year! with Toy Story 3 (even though you cant compare them cause there completely different)

Was like Matrix/Shutter Island on Crack! :lol:
Lorde - Biggest thing in New Zealand. Royals... watch out world! - December 2012
shrimpy_boy11
Personal Assistant

Postby Plym » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:07 pm

Did Christopher Noaln state 1 & 3? (and 5 :lol: )
Cause I'm not believing them unless he said them!
Plym
Take Care

Postby nicktigatiga » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:59 pm

Plym wrote:Did Christopher Noaln state 1 & 3? (and 5 :lol: )
Cause I'm not believing them unless he said them!
No, he didn't and he won't state 1 & 3, I guess ( :lol: if he stated no 5).. cuz it will hurt his movie ticket's sales.
His trick causes some assumption made by moviefreaks, this will create mystery, controversy or whatever from the movie, then make us want to go to cineplex to watch it.
The trick is minding.
nicktigatiga
Roadie

Postby urbanmusik » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:41 pm

Loved this today, epsecially the 'domino effect' with the kicks near the end! :D
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby ZippaDeeDooDa » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:16 pm

Saw this at the IMAX and absolutely loved it. Such a well made film, I'm still thinking about it and want to see it again and again! And for the record, SPOILER:

I think he was dreaming the whole time. Me and my friends have been debating this, but a) the totem didn't fall over, b) everyone glanced at him when he finally got to LA in the airport.
Better wake up, little sleepy head
Big old world will pass us by
So many things we could do instead
Get what you want with your lucky eyes
ZippaDeeDooDa
Manager

Postby SeeForever » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:20 pm

It's nice to find a film that gets people to think about it like this - can't wait for it on DVD, which will probably be aeound November/December
SeeForever
Legend

Postby Pompeii » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:28 pm

Saw this tonight. One of the best movies I've ever seen, dare I say it. I've found it breathlessly exciting. It may be complicated, but simply put it's a really great movie.
Pompeii
Legend

Postby Ska8er » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:48 am

I'm going to see this tonight! Excited!
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:27 pm

I think this may have been the single best film I've ever seen?
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Ska8er » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:33 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:I think this may have been the single best film I've ever seen?
Why are you questioning it? :lol:
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:37 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:I think this may have been the single best film I've ever seen?
Really? You can't have seen many films!

I thought it was good, nothing more or less. Brilliant visually though, the film was just longer than it needed to be. Shutter Island was better!
Thriller

Postby Ska8er » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:45 pm

Thriller wrote:

I thought it was good, nothing more or less. Brilliant visually though, the film was just longer than it needed to be. Shutter Island was better!
I have to agree a bit with that! I loved it but there was a point where i felt it dragged on too much! A few of my other friends found it boring but i still think that it's a masterpiece!
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby sambo9 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:47 pm

This is probably the first time I've ever seen a 2+ hour film that didn't drag on. I loved every minute of it.
sambo9
Legend

Postby missfunkymonks » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:50 pm

Thriller wrote:

I thought it was good, nothing more or less.
I totally agree. It was good and enjoyable, but I don't get what the big deal is.

Good concept and it kept me entertained throughout but it felt like it was lacking something.

Great ending!! The whole cinema gasped.
Life is beautiful around the world
missfunkymonks
Manager

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:48 pm

I've seen loads of films, THANKS Michael.

I am questionning it because I still adore The Butterfly Effect and am not sure if this was better but it was RIGHT up my street.

Absolutely brilliant conceptually and visually, wonderfully acted, full of intricate twists, really made you think and didn't seem too long at all to me.

As a rule, even during things like Shrek I usually require a toilet break but this kept me so hooked I didn't even think about it!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Thriller » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Hooray for your the strength of your bladder!

I dunno, I think Leo's becoming a bit of a one trick pony. It was a very clever movie, the dream within dreams thing, but it wasn't without its holes - I'm not a moron and I had to go on IMDB and try and clear some things up afterwards.
Thriller

Postby Ska8er » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Thriller wrote:Hooray for your the strength of your bladder!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Thriller wrote:Hooray for your the strength of your bladder!

I dunno, I think Leo's becoming a bit of a one trick pony. It was a very clever movie, the dream within dreams thing, but it wasn't without its holes - I'm not a moron and I had to go on IMDB and try and clear some things up afterwards.
That doesn't mean it had holes! And just because you didn't understand every aspect doesn't make you a moron!

If you were saying this about Shrek 4 I'd understand but films SHOULD make you think/not necessarily have clear answers, no?
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Thriller » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:41 pm

No, I like my explanations :lol:
Thriller

Postby Blondini » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Rated #3 on imdb's alltime votes! :o :o
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?tt1375666

Though i just had to check Wiki myself to clarify what i just saw, it was actualy less complex than i expected. The process of the inception/ dream states were fully explained in the film. Even with 4 dream levels happening at once, it was quite easy to follow. My brain was having more trouble with what they were actually doing to Fischer (the heist plot is quite unimpressive compared to the hullabaloo around it- i was so enthralled with the dream process that my brain must have fell asleep whenever they "Fisched" around him.)

If you've got a film that pivots on the idea of inserting an idea in someone's mind, the idea has to be crystal clear and awesome - it wasn't - though the one concerning his wife was. There was another problem - you don't feel as much emotion towards them as a couple - she comes off as the cypher or "shade" that she is and Leo tries his best but you just don't feel it enough. This was my problem with Memento, too - clever twisty show-off plot and visuals but not so hot on the emotion. Nolan's films are too cold.

Thank God for Ellen Page and Tom Hardy (Eames) who gave the film spark and character. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was canny but under-written.

Surprised to see St Trinian's Talulah Riley as a sexy blonde!

So - fantastic mind-blowing premise and visuals - but not enough heart. 4/5 and definitely not deserving of top 3 of alltime. Have you seen the films that surround it??

*Nice Hans Zimmer score (and the use of Edith Piaf is a clear in-joke ref to Marion Cotillard) though they missed a trick not including this:
Propaganda - Dream Within A Dream*
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:21 pm

nicktigatiga wrote:Got this from AD comments, I agree with most of them but I am not so sure with number 4 :lol:
Eams & Saito OR Eams & Arthur's chemistry??

For the record let’s state 5 things: (INCEPTION SPOILERS BELOW)

1. Cobb was not dreaming at the end. His kids were wearing different clothes and were played by two sets of kids. The ending was supposed to be the irony of dreams and reality. It was coincidence and deja vu that his kids were playing like that in the backyard again.

2. Ariadne performed an “inception” on Cobb. She placed the idea that he should let his dead wife go and move on back in reality with his kids. Her name comes from Greek mythology, Ariadne freed Theseus from the Minotaur’s labyrinth.

3. The “top” was not his totem. It was his wedding ring. The top was there a “MacGuffin” or red herring to trick the audience. He ONLY wore his ring in the dreamworld from the very beginning of the movie. And NEVER wore it in reality.

4. Eams was homosexual.

5. Christopher Nolan is a genius.

#2 is debatable. Surely he knew that all along - he was just in denial? It's not as though her "inception" was an original thought.

I would have to watch again to ascertain #3! :lol:

#4 is likely. It's also likely he's just a prankster!

No one should ever make a definitive statement about #1.

#5 FLAWED genius.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby pat200 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:38 pm

in the end he was dreaming...

1- the grandfather lives in paris not la
2- the grandfather was not told Dom was coming to la, so how was he in the airport?
3- his reception at the airport was very cold.
pat200
Personal Assistant

Postby Blondini » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:56 pm

pat200 wrote:in the end he was dreaming...

1- the grandfather lives in paris not la
2- the grandfather was not told Dom was coming to la, so how was he in the airport?
3- his reception at the airport was very cold.
No it wasn't - they all smiled/ nodded at him - if he was dreaming, wouldn't he make the reception warmer? His subconcious would "perfect" the situation.

#1 and 2 are nitpicking. How do you know the grandfather wasn't phoned by one of the crew/ the flight attendant? We don't know the timespan that the preparation for the inception took. It could have taken weeks/ months. In that time, Caine's character could have moved home. Why are people intent on spoiling the ambiguity of the ending? I'm not saying he wasn't dreaming but clearly you can't "prove" that he was, either. Nolan is far too clever a filmmaker for things to be explained so easily.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby pat200 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:05 am

or maybe he did want it to be clear and simple and yet we want to make more of it than it really is.

in any way, it is open to a lot of theories, i simply stated my theory, which i am allowed to do.
pat200
Personal Assistant

Return to Movies