1m people line the streets of Paris to say goodbye to Johnny

Moderators: biscuits, Benjamin

Postby Wayne » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:05 am

Johnny Hallyday: French rock star dies at 74

France's biggest rock star Johnny Hallyday has died after a battle with lung cancer. He was 74.

The singer sold about 100 million records and starred in a number of films in a career that began in 1960.

He was made a Chevalier of the Legion D'Honneur by President Jacques Chirac in 1997.

The French simply called him "Our Johnny". However, outside the Francophone zone, Hallyday was virtually unknown.

In a statement, his wife Laeticia said: "Johnny Hallyday has left us," the AFP news agency reports.

"I write these words without believing them. But yet, it's true. My man is no longer with us.

"He left us tonight as he lived his whole life, with courage and dignity," she said.

Hallyday, whose real name was Jean-Philippe Smet, decided he wanted to be a singer after seeing Elvis Presley on screen in 1957. Hallyday was nicknamed the French Presley by his numerous fans.

Reacting to the news, French President Emmanuel Macron referenced the title of a recent tribute album by saying: "There is a little bit of Johnny in all of us."

"Across generations, he carved himself into the lives of French people," Mr Macron said. "He charmed them through the generosity you saw in his concerts: so epic, so intimate, in huge venues, in small spots."

Among those to pay tribute was American guitarist Lenny Kravitz.

In a French-language tweet, singer Celine Dion called him "a legend of showbusiness".

Heavily influenced by Elvis, Hallyday broke from France's classic "chanson" tradition in the 1950s, and began singing rock and roll in French.

"He introduced rock and roll to France. He's one of the few singers about whom people say that he's an animal on stage," journalist Philippe Le Corre once said.

"He's quite incredible. People of all ages like him," he added.

Despite his success at home, he failed to crack the lucrative American or any English-speaking market.

The USA Today newspaper once described him as "the greatest rock star you never heard of".

Hallyday was known for his hard work and almost non-stop touring.

But he was also famous for his wild rock star antics, both on and off stage.

Heavy partying, drugs, drinking and smoking, as well as five marriages all kept his bad-boy image alive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42247551

My exposure to him came via his performances with Celine, so not really that into his music - that said, he had a hugely distinctive voice and was regarded as the Elvis Presley of the French music industry. He was the top-selling singer of all-time in France.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby KEY9481 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:43 am

oh God. The day has finally come.
Even since MJ passed away, I KNEW johnny's death would be an earthquake in France.
Already 6 breaking news / special tv shows this morning, on a 20-channel span.
I have to leave this country for the next two months :lol:
With that said, I was definitely not a fan but his impact is unmatchable in France.
RIP Legend.
5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018
KEY9481
Manager

Postby Goldmoney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:46 am

RIP :(
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby trebor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 am

Undoubtedly, France's biggest star and national treasure!
R.I.P.

trebor
Legend

Postby innocenteyes » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 am

KEY9481 wrote:oh God. The day has finally come.
Even since MJ passed away, I KNEW johnny's death would be an earthquake in France.
Already 6 breaking news / special tv shows this morning, on a 20-channel span.
I have to leave this country for the next two months :lol:
With that said, I was definitely not a fan but his impact is unmatchable in France.
RIP Legend.
Exactly.

Given he's seen as a legend it's all over the news and the media here.
The impact is even bigger than MJ's death.
Wasn't a fan either even though I like a few of his songs but there's no denying that his impact has been huge and deep. Every single person knows who he is and at least one of his songs.
RIP Legend.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby KEY9481 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:00 am

A few stats to show how impressive his career was.

110 million records sold.
40 Gold certifications
79 albums - only 29 studio albums
+1000 songs recorded (including 500 duos)
187 tours (!!!!)
3240 concerts
9 shows at the Stade de France
29 million tickets sold throughout his career.
5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018
KEY9481
Manager

Postby heppolo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Yes, he was a big star
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Wayne » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:52 pm

This will be the most lauded celebrity death of all-time in France, I suspect.

Currently, Johnny occupies 79 out of the top 200 singles on iTunes and 35 out of the top 200 albums.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby trebor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:13 pm

'French Elvis' Rocker Johnny Hallyday Dies at 74
Billboard © - 12/5/2017 by Gil Kaufman

Johnny Hallyday, the pompadoured, hip-swiveling rocker known as the "French Elvis" died on Wednesday (Dec. 6) at age 74. Hallyday was reportedly hospitalized on Friday (Nov. 17) at a Paris hospital due to respiratory difficulties and had been undergoing lung cancer treatments.

Rising to prominence with his first release in 1959, Hallyday was best known for his French-language covers of early rock hits and a deep catalog of originals released on dozens of albums on a variety of major and indie labels from the early 1960s through 2015.

The singer continued to perform well into his retirement years, thrilling crowds with his dark, gravely voice and unmistakable charisma, which made him a huge star in France and other French-speaking countries, filling arenas and stadiums well into his 60s; he was reportedly working on a new album and planning a tour at the time of his death. Though he was little-known outside of Europe, Hallyday rocked stages as long as some of his more well-established contemporaries, such as fellow 74 year-old Mick Jagger, reportedly selling more than 80 million albums and scoring a dozen platinum albums in his home country.

A big part of his appeal was a true rock n' roll spirit, which extended to the usual litany of rock star problems: drugs, taxes, fast cars and motorbikes and a string of high-profile, dramatic romances. Hallyday was born Jean-Phillippe Smet on June 15, 1943, in Paris' Malesherbes neighborhood, the son of Belgian parents who separated just months after his birth. He grew up under the watchful eye of his aunt, Hélène Mar, a former silent film actress, as well as two dancer cousins who took him on the road during his childhood.

The singer adopted the last name of one of the cousin's boyfriends, Oaklahoman Lee Halliday, who had also joined the family act. While on the road, Hallyday learned guitar and took dance lessons and by nine years-old he was playing covers of American songs during set changes, appearing in his first film in 1954, Les Diaboliques.

Once Hallyday discovered Elvis he decided he wanted to be a rock singer, which led to gigs in clubs and cabarets and a record contract with Vogue Records in 1959. His first single, "Laisse les Filles," was released in 1960, followed by his first big hit, "Souvenirs, Souvenirs" and his debut album, Hello Johnny.

Like his contemporaries, Hallyday had a riotous impact on his fans, setting off a frenzy in 1961 when he performed at France's first major rock festival, launching him into teen idol territory that rivaled the raucous reaction to Elvis in the U.S. With a mix of originals and French covers of songs by rock icons such as Chubby Checker (his famous cover of "Let's Twist Again" sold more than a million copies) and Jerry Lee Lewis on albums such as 1961's Johnny Hallyday Sings America's Rockin' Hits, Hallyday began a run of hit albums and singles, including his two biggest songs: "L'Idole des Jeunes" and "Da Dou Ron Ron."

After a year of military service -- during which he married fellow singer Sylvie Vartan -- Hallyday attempted to jump back into his act, but found that his old style didn't fit in in an era where the Beatles and Bob Dylan were ruling the charts. Despondent at his lack of popularity, Hallyday attempted suicide in 1966 shortly after the birth of his son, releasing a dim chronicle of his depression, "Noir, C'est Noirs." Trying to revive his moribund career again, Hallyday formed a new band called The Blackbirds, which featured future Foreigner singer Mick Jones, signaling a move into more R&B-influence sounds. Through the end of the 1960s he went more psychedelic, collaborating with Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page, Peter Frampton and the Small Faces' Steve Marriott and Ronnie Lane and taking a chance on a young act called The Jimi Hendrix Experience, whose first gig was opening for Hallyday in October 1966.

His marriage to Vartan splintered in 1972 and he moved to Memphis two years later to work on the rock standards album Rock à Memphis as well as a Nashville-influenced one, La Terre Promise, before moving his family to Los Angeles to hide from a massive tax bill back home. The hits in France continued amid huge disasters -- a flop double-album rock opera based on Shakespeare's Hamlet -- and he suffered a famous collapse on stage during a show in the summer of 1980 as his marriage broke up for good.

A brief, two-month second marriage preceded a turn toward a more pop-oriented sound and his return to film with Jean-Luc Godard's Détective. Another short marriage followed in 1990, as well as a huge 50th birthday series of shows in Paris in 1993 and a flop English-language album, Rough Town, in 1994. In keeping with his up-and-down career, the next year brought one of his most successful albums, 1995's Lorada. A fifth marriage coincided with yet another album of rock classics, Destination Vegas, and a now-legendary performance closing the World Cup soccer tournament 1998.

He continued releasing albums in the early 2000s, including one with a track written for him by U2's Bono, "I Am the Blues," and a move to Switzerland in 2006 to once again avoid tax issues back home. Hallyday announced his farewell tour in 2009, performing a massive free show at the foot of the Eiffel Tower that summer for 800,000, just months before undergoing colon cancer surgery. Though he struggled with a series of health issues for the next several years, Hallyday pulled off a mini-tour of three major U.S. cities in 2012, setting the stage for his 10th No.1 album in France, L'Attente. The singer celebrated his 70th birthday at the Palais Ominsports de Paris-Bercy on June 15, 2013, chronicled on a live album released that November.

An Don Was-produced album of blues, rock and country, Rester Vivant, was released in November 2014 and Hallyday celebrated his love of Las Vegas that same month with a trio of shows featuring fellow French stars Eddy Mitchell and Jacques Dutronc ("the old scoundrels").
trebor
Legend

Postby TIfan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Not too familiar with him YET, but RIP.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:18 pm

R.I.P. [*]
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:31 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby KEY9481 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:19 pm

The tribute ceremony was fantastic. I'm far from a fan but it moved me.
KEY9481
Manager

Postby Wayne » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:07 pm

His funeral is reminiscent of Diana's in 1997.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby stevyy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Mariah paid her respect yesterday at her concert in Paris.
stevyy
Legend

Postby trebor » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Summary by state TV broadcaster France 2:

trebor
Legend

Postby innocenteyes » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Have never witnessed something so huge to be honest.
And yep, the tribute ceremony was really stunning.
Around 15 million people watched it on TV.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Just watched that video that trebor posted, hugely impactful - he was clearly France's ultimate showman and its favourite son.

RIP Johnny.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby MusicRecords » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:51 pm

Huge number, I don't think I had heard of him but RIP, obviously he was huge
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby BehindBreakaway » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:00 am

Wayne wrote:Just watched that video that trebor posted, hugely impactful - he was clearly France's ultimate showman and its favourite son.

RIP Johnny.
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Return to Celebrity Gossip