Kelly Clarkson claims there's 'nothing wrong' with spanking

Moderators: biscuits, Benjamin

Postby Debs_Wild » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:01 pm

The Independent wrote:Kelly Clarkson claims there's 'nothing wrong' with spanking your kids

Kelly Clarkson is under fire for saying she isn't against spanking her kids.

Last week, the "Love So Soft" singer relayed her perspective to a Rochester-based radio station, “I’m not above a spanking, which people aren’t necessarily into. “And I don’t mean like hitting her hard, I just mean a spanking.”

She justified her parenting further saying, “My parents spanked me and I did fine in life and I feel fine about it."

Twitter was not too thrilled with Clarkson's comments.

One user said it's proven to be "detrimental" to kids.

Other users said she was "wrong" and claimed spanking perpetuates "physical fear tactics."

While Clarkson is aware her beliefs don't apply to everyone, she sees nothing wrong with it.

“So that’s a tricky thing when you’re out in public, ’cause then people are like, you know, they think that’s wrong or something, but I find nothing wrong with a spanking,” she explained. “I warn her. I’m like, ‘Hi, I’m gonna spank you on your bottom if you don’t stop right now. Like, this is ridiculous.'”

The 35-year-old credits her parenting tactics to her Southern upbringing.

“I’m from the South, y’all, so we get spankings,” she added. “My mom would call the principal if I ever ended up in the principal’s office and give permission for her to spank me … I’m a well-rounded individual with a lot of character, so I think it’s fine.”

Clarkson has two children: daughter River Rose, 3, and son Remington Alexander, 1, with husband Brandon Blackstock.
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby biscuits » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:03 pm

It’s up to the parents if they want to spank their kids.
TheRealest wrote:Chy tf plz biscuits girl
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Spartan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:14 pm

I agree with her. I got spanked as a kid (and occasioanally still do), and I turned out relatively alright
Spartan
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:17 pm

^ cheeky!
TheRealest wrote:Chy tf plz biscuits girl
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Carbon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:21 pm

I agree with her 100%
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:27 pm

I cannot disassociate spanking with the naughty connotations - my mind immediately went in the wrong direction.

But in this instance, I don't think spanking is the only answer - I don't think children learn respect these days by a slap. But then I'm not a parent, so what would I know.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby DOSSOME » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Carbon wrote:I agree with her 100%
DOSSOME
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:35 pm

DOSSOME wrote:
And the category is: LIVE. WORK. POSE!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby urbanmusik » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:43 pm

I agree, it didn’t harm me at all as a kid. But not in busy public places, that’s just embarrassing and causes a scene.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby Hugo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:48 pm

Wayne wrote:I cannot disassociate spanking with the naughty connotations - my mind immediately went in the wrong direction.
This

Literally "a little spank doesn't hurt". What a classic.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby flopho » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 pm

the fact that this causes a Twitter outrage Image
Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Legend

Postby Jesper » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:06 pm

I never got why all those parent organisations etc. are against spanking.
It really depends on the kid what works, some kids it works if you talk to them, for others a time out works and for others getting spanked once in a while works. I was very hard to handle as young kid and I got spanked when needed, I have no negative memories or mental issues because of it. There is a big difference between spanking and actual physical abuse, and I feel a lot of people outraged think about the latter.
Jesper
Legend

Postby Serby » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Oh gosh, I was afraid I'll be seen conservative but yeah, glad that everyone agrees. Lil' spanking is not bad, there's a huge difference between that and violence.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby heppolo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:27 pm

Don't know anything about kids or spanking.
I was never spanked as a kid maybe that's why I am so stupid (but most probably there's no correlation).
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:41 pm

JSparksFan wrote:
DOSSOME wrote:
mom knows what she is doing. I'm with her.
stevyy
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:17 pm

Seeing the thread title I was like "agree 100%" and then I realised it was not about sex... :oops:
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby Debs_Wild » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:26 pm

ArmyOfMe wrote:Seeing the thread title I was like "agree 100%" and then I realised it was not about sex... :oops:
You have a very dirrty mind, darling. :evil:
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby JimJim » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Hmm, I mean, did I get hit as a child? Yes. Would I do it to my future children? I don't think so.

In Australia this is something people are very divided about, but the tide definitely seems to be flowing towards it being socially unacceptable.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Spartan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:32 pm

JimJim wrote:Hmm, I mean, did I get hit as a child? Yes. Would I do it to my future children? I don't think so.

In Australia this is something people are very divided about, but the tide definitely seems to be flowing towards it being socially unacceptable.
Wasn’t The Slap based in Australia - great TV show addressing these issues.
Spartan
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 pm

For the Record, I have the best of relationships to my parents and I got the occasional spank as well when I did sth naughty.. It did not hurt me, altho, I sometimes tease my parents with it.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Hugo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Spartan wrote:
JimJim wrote:Hmm, I mean, did I get hit as a child? Yes. Would I do it to my future children? I don't think so.

Wasn’t The Slap based in Australia - great TV show addressing these issues.
Book.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby MusicLover88 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:55 pm

ArmyOfMe wrote:Seeing the thread title I was like "agree 100%" and then I realised it was not about sex... :oops:
Me.
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Superstar

Postby Petrie » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:01 pm

She’s such a great person but I completely have a different opinion on her now. Spanking of any kind is wrong, there is plenty and (proven to work) effective ways of disciplining your child. Yes it’s her child but it’s so wrong, it disgusts me. If I was to walk out of my house and smack a stranger who is an adult I would be arrested so why is it ok to hit/spank a innocent defenceless little child?

Maybe I’m so against it because I was abused severely as a child (not by my parents) by my maternal grandmother but I am complelty againts laying a finger on children and if I ever was to have a child which I more than likely won’t I will NEVER hurt them in any way shape or form.
Petrie
Personal Assistant

Postby BlueScorpion » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:50 am

I 100% agree with her. Broom sticks did me so good. :lol:
"Side effects be drowsiness / Loneliness / How is this? / I think they call it hateration / What can you prescribe for this?"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Fan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:27 am

:lol: :lol:

While I don't think I would agree with her on this, I could never see myself spanking my own child, I also don't think this makes her a bad parent or she deserves a backlash over this.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Return to Celebrity Gossip