Justin Timberlake to Headline Super Bowl LII Halftime Show

 

Postby Bojan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:49 pm

Washington Post: Timberlake at Super Bowl: White male privilege again?

NEW YORK — The booking of Justin Timberlake for the Super Bowl halftime show has triggered a backlash from women, minorities and others who say Janet Jackson was unfairly forced to pay a far higher price than he ever faced for that breast-baring “wardrobe malfunction” at the big game in 2004.

The hashtag #justiceforjanet trended on social media this week after the NFL announced Timberlake would perform Feb. 4 in Minneapolis.

Some argued that Jackson fell victim to a sexist and racist double standard and received harsher treatment over a decade ago than Timberlake did, while he benefited from “white male privilege.”

“His body was not criminalized and demonized in the way that hers was, and that has everything to do with being a white man,” said Janell Hobson, an associate professor of women’s, gender and sexuality studies at the State University of New York at Albany.

Representatives for Timberlake and Jackson did not respond to emails seeking comment.

The NFL said no one has been banned from the halftime show — indirectly referring to Jackson — but didn’t elaborate on the decision to invite Timberlake back or comment on Jackson specifically.

Thirteen years ago, as Timberlake sang the lyrics “Bet I have you naked at the end of this song,” he ripped Jackson’s costume to reveal her right breast, bare except for a nipple ring. Jackson later said her lace undergarment was supposed to remain intact but accidentally pulled away.

She was barred a week later from the Grammy telecast, where she had been scheduled to perform, and her star power diminished, though she eventually rebounded. He 2015 album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard charts, and she is now on a top-selling tour.

This will be Timberlake’s third time at the halftime show, the most for any performer ever. He first performed there in 2001 with his boy band NSYNC, then went on to appear as Jackson’s guest.

Timberlake has apologized more than once over the years.

When asked about the wardrobe malfunction in an interview this week, Timberlake said, “That won’t happen this time.”

Social media erupted when the Super Bowl announcement was made, especially Black Twitter.

“I feel that considering the damage that that moment did to her career unfairly, I would like to see Justin never return to the Super Bowl,” said Jamilah Lemieux, vice president of news and men’s programming at digital publishing company iOne Digital and black culture website CASSIUS.

“It didn’t slow him down. She wasn’t allowed to go the Grammys. How do you have the Grammys without Janet Jackson?” Lemieux asked. “She’s faced more punishment for her breast being revealed than people who have been accused of sexual assault.”

Hobson, author of 2012’s “Body as Evidence: Mediating Race, Globalizing Gender,” said it is interesting that news of Timberlake’s return comes at a time when pop culture is dominated by headlines about misconduct by such figures as Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby and Bill O’Reilly.

Hobson said Jackson was the one who was blamed and punished, and the same thing happens to women dealing with sexual assault or rape.

“It’s always women’s bodies that are the problem. So whenever we talk about rape or we talk about sexual assault, it always goes back to, ‘So what was she wearing? Was she walking sexy? Was she being flirtatious?’ As if men have no part to play,” Hobson said.

Others, though, want to see a halftime show starring Timberlake.

Music producer Drumma Boy said Timberlake is a good choice and “has hits to back it up, as far as relevancy right now.”

“I think it would be super cool if he did bring out Janet,” he added. “I think the world would go crazy. If he wanted to completely shut down the world, bringing Janet would be the icing on the cake.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/t ... story.html
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby Bojan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:58 pm

COMPLEX: Justin Timberlake Headlining the 2018 Super Bowl Is a Crock of Sh*t
http://www.complex.com/music/2017/10/ju ... bowl-is-bs

User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:06 pm

He's probably done more harm than good to the black community
User avatar
Goldmoney
Legend
 
Posts: 15418
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009

Postby BlueScorpion » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:16 pm

This was definitively not taken lightly by many people who are coming forward in support of Janet. He better put on a great show or it will be the end of him. :lol:
User avatar
BlueScorpion
Manager
 
Posts: 4749
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011
Location: Portugal - Porto

Postby Bojan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:24 pm

I guessed that there would be few articles pointing out on injustice, double standards etc. But this exceeded my expectations by far.
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby GreekGeek » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:48 pm

This is from the article above:

She was barred a week later from the Grammy telecast, where she had been scheduled to perform, and her star power diminished, though she eventually rebounded. Her 2015 album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard charts, and she is now on a top-selling tour.
So, what's the problem after all?! :lol: :lol:
I'm just kidding, please do not crucify me.
And the 8th day God created KYLIE!!! <3
User avatar
GreekGeek
Superstar
 
Posts: 6507
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013
Location: Greece

Postby menime123 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:50 pm

Bojan wrote:Washington Post: Timberlake at Super Bowl: White male privilege again?

NEW YORK — The booking of Justin Timberlake for the Super Bowl halftime show has triggered a backlash from women, minorities and others who say Janet Jackson was unfairly forced to pay a far higher price than he ever faced for that breast-baring “wardrobe malfunction” at the big game in 2004.

The hashtag #justiceforjanet trended on social media this week after the NFL announced Timberlake would perform Feb. 4 in Minneapolis.

Some argued that Jackson fell victim to a sexist and racist double standard and received harsher treatment over a decade ago than Timberlake did, while he benefited from “white male privilege.”

“His body was not criminalized and demonized in the way that hers was, and that has everything to do with being a white man,” said Janell Hobson, an associate professor of women’s, gender and sexuality studies at the State University of New York at Albany.

Representatives for Timberlake and Jackson did not respond to emails seeking comment.

The NFL said no one has been banned from the halftime show — indirectly referring to Jackson — but didn’t elaborate on the decision to invite Timberlake back or comment on Jackson specifically.

Thirteen years ago, as Timberlake sang the lyrics “Bet I have you naked at the end of this song,” he ripped Jackson’s costume to reveal her right breast, bare except for a nipple ring. Jackson later said her lace undergarment was supposed to remain intact but accidentally pulled away.

She was barred a week later from the Grammy telecast, where she had been scheduled to perform, and her star power diminished, though she eventually rebounded. He 2015 album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard charts, and she is now on a top-selling tour.

This will be Timberlake’s third time at the halftime show, the most for any performer ever. He first performed there in 2001 with his boy band NSYNC, then went on to appear as Jackson’s guest.

Timberlake has apologized more than once over the years.

When asked about the wardrobe malfunction in an interview this week, Timberlake said, “That won’t happen this time.”

Social media erupted when the Super Bowl announcement was made, especially Black Twitter.

“I feel that considering the damage that that moment did to her career unfairly, I would like to see Justin never return to the Super Bowl,” said Jamilah Lemieux, vice president of news and men’s programming at digital publishing company iOne Digital and black culture website CASSIUS.

“It didn’t slow him down. She wasn’t allowed to go the Grammys. How do you have the Grammys without Janet Jackson?” Lemieux asked. “She’s faced more punishment for her breast being revealed than people who have been accused of sexual assault.”

Hobson, author of 2012’s “Body as Evidence: Mediating Race, Globalizing Gender,” said it is interesting that news of Timberlake’s return comes at a time when pop culture is dominated by headlines about misconduct by such figures as Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby and Bill O’Reilly.

Hobson said Jackson was the one who was blamed and punished, and the same thing happens to women dealing with sexual assault or rape.

“It’s always women’s bodies that are the problem. So whenever we talk about rape or we talk about sexual assault, it always goes back to, ‘So what was she wearing? Was she walking sexy? Was she being flirtatious?’ As if men have no part to play,” Hobson said.

Others, though, want to see a halftime show starring Timberlake.

Music producer Drumma Boy said Timberlake is a good choice and “has hits to back it up, as far as relevancy right now.”

“I think it would be super cool if he did bring out Janet,” he added. “I think the world would go crazy. If he wanted to completely shut down the world, bringing Janet would be the icing on the cake.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/t ... story.html
This entire article is a crock of shit. It doesn’t once explain how it’s a form of white privilege, but just quotes some educated women who clearly stans for Janet. I mean honestly, all that happened to Janet was a career setback. Madonna had the same treatment in 2003 but - for once - she was fully dressed.

Janet getting her breast out wasn’t a statement, wasn’t about anything and wasn’t making any sort of point. It was entirely tasteless. I am all for sexual expression and body celebration and getting your bits out, but Janet made a bad judgement and people didn’t want to be associated with an unnecessary exhibtion of nudity. There was no warning. If you didn’t want to see it you couldn’t not see it because you just didn’t know it was going to happen - and that pisses people off... not just in America but all around the world.

Was the backlash a bit much? Yes. Was it because she was black? Of course not. It was because no one wanted to see her breast in the first place. She embarrassed the biggest event in US TV, who have a responsibility to the network, sponsors and viewers. I have to say, it’s clear there was revenge taken against Janet in terms of the media really going for her, but honestly, what did she expect? A headline praising her for a daring move and a bigger fan base? :roll:

Justin unfortunately will always be guilty by association, but the reality is he remained fully dressed. He held his hands up, apologised, realised it was a dumb move and got on with things. He wanted to get away from the whole fiasco pronto. Janet may have apologised, but she didn’t go on the charm offensive. She continued ramping up the sexualisation of her work (no judgement) but she didn’t do career damage control and unfortunately, it was coupled with some subpar music.

When Madonna had a backlash in 2003 she was in damage control for about 2 years until she came back with an album the masses decided they wanted. But even then she had to promote the album as having ‘no messages’. But she spent the best part of 2004 working on an unofficial greatest hits show that she had said in 2003 she wasn’t doing, with songs she had said a few years earlier she wouldn’t sing again. Most of her setlist hadn’t been performed since the 1980s, when she was at her first commercial peak. She gave people a product they wanted.

Janet... didn’t.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8715
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby BlueScorpion » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:21 pm

^ I'm just laughing at your judgement being ruled by who was / wasn't "dressed" :P

"he remained fully dressed" :lol:
User avatar
BlueScorpion
Manager
 
Posts: 4749
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011
Location: Portugal - Porto

Postby Westen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:27 pm

BlueScorpion wrote:This was definitively not taken lightly by many people who are coming forward in support of Janet. He better put on a great show or it will be the end of him. :lol:
It's typical, every portal is trying to get their clicks because that controversy sells. At the end of the day even if she doesn't end up there they will all call it best halfime show ever and no one will care. It's really the same every year... :lol:
User avatar
Westen
Superstar
 
Posts: 9128
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013

Postby Westen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:30 pm

menime123 wrote:This entire article is a crock of shit. It doesn’t once explain how it’s a form of white privilege, but just quotes some educated women who clearly stans for Janet. I mean honestly, all that happened to Janet was a career setback. Madonna had the same treatment in 2003 but - for once - she was fully dressed.

Janet getting her breast out wasn’t a statement, wasn’t about anything and wasn’t making any sort of point. It was entirely tasteless. I am all for sexual expression and body celebration and getting your bits out, but Janet made a bad judgement and people didn’t want to be associated with an unnecessary exhibtion of nudity. There was no warning. If you didn’t want to see it you couldn’t not see it because you just didn’t know it was going to happen - and that pisses people off... not just in America but all around the world.

Was the backlash a bit much? Yes. Was it because she was black? Of course not. It was because no one wanted to see her breast in the first place. She embarrassed the biggest event in US TV, who have a responsibility to the network, sponsors and viewers. I have to say, it’s clear there was revenge taken against Janet in terms of the media really going for her, but honestly, what did she expect? A headline praising her for a daring move and a bigger fan base? :roll:

Justin unfortunately will always be guilty by association, but the reality is he remained fully dressed. He held his hands up, apologised, realised it was a dumb move and got on with things. He wanted to get away from the whole fiasco pronto. Janet may have apologised, but she didn’t go on the charm offensive. She continued ramping up the sexualisation of her work (no judgement) but she didn’t do career damage control and unfortunately, it was coupled with some subpar music.

When Madonna had a backlash in 2003 she was in damage control for about 2 years until she came back with an album the masses decided they wanted. But even then she had to promote the album as having ‘no messages’. But she spent the best part of 2004 working on an unofficial greatest hits show that she had said in 2003 she wasn’t doing, with songs she had said a few years earlier she wouldn’t sing again. Most of her setlist hadn’t been performed since the 1980s, when she was at her first commercial peak. She gave people a product they wanted.

Janet... didn’t.
I forgot that she actually refused to apologize : :oops:
User avatar
Westen
Superstar
 
Posts: 9128
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013

Postby BlueScorpion » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:58 pm

To think that even Laura Bush weighted in... CBS received +500.000 complaints and they were fined in $550,000 - the largest fine levied against a television broadcaster. The NFL was asked to refund 10 million dollars they had been given to the half time show sponsors.

Gosh, this was something else! :lol:
User avatar
BlueScorpion
Manager
 
Posts: 4749
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011
Location: Portugal - Porto

Postby menime123 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:11 am

BlueScorpion wrote:To think that even Laura Bush weighted in... CBS received +500.000 complaints and they were fined in $550,000 - the largest fine levied against a television broadcaster. The NFL was asked to refund 10 million dollars they had been given to the half time show sponsors.

Gosh, this was something else! :lol:
I mean it’s easy to think it was all completely overblown. But logistically it had actual repercussions. When Madonna performed she had to run everything past the NFL - to the extent her backing choir were not allowed to wear white belts because they created a cross out of the costumes:

Super Bowl:

Image

MDNA Tour 2012:

Image

This is how anti controversy they are now about the whole thing. MIA flipped the bird during Madonna’s performance and was issue a fine for $16 Million fine. This is how anti controversy they are have become - because of Nipplegate.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the reaction was completely overblown, but for the parties involved it had repercussions... all because Janet wanted a headline.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8715
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby menime123 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:14 am

BlueScorpion wrote:^ I'm just laughing at your judgement being ruled by who was / wasn't "dressed" :P

"he remained fully dressed" :lol:
Well it’s the truth :lol:

Janet was the superstar. No one believed Justin was leading Janet: it was absolutely her moment and ultimately her mistake. I mean, wasn’t Justin there just to create a headline anyway?
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8715
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby MrLeonix » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:16 am

Westen wrote:I forgot that she actually refused to apologize : :oops:
Yep, she refused to apologize, she didn't care and she released a string of weak and bad albums afterwards, she did absolutely nothing to save her career, whatever happened to her was her own responsibility.
Last edited by MrLeonix on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
User avatar
MrLeonix
Legend
 
Posts: 17802
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013

Postby menime123 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:35 am

MrLeonix wrote:
Westen wrote:I forgot that she actually refused to apologize : :oops:
Yep, she refused to apologize, she didn't care and she released a string of weak and bad albums afterwards, she did absolutely nothing yo save her career, whatever happened to her was her own responsibility.
She backed herself into a corner and didn’t create anything to overshadow it. If the music had been good, if she had gone on the offensive and delivered something else worth talking about, then it would have faded quicker.

There is no denying it was a big moment in music history - but purely for the wrong reasons. To be honest, I think a lot of the backlash is because she explained it away as a wardrobe malfunction - it’s almost insulting to expect us to believe that.

Had she been able to offer an explanation as to whyshe decided to do it it would have shut people up quicker - but she didn’t. I’m sat trying to think of an artist reason she could have offered (in the same way Madonna is able to explain away her SEX book)... but there’s literally none.

I mean if someone did it now it would be strange. Nowadays the backlash would be focused on why Janet would have demeaned herself by getting a man to physically remove (half of) of her clothes on stage. Not very progressive, which makes me wonder what the hell made her think it was such a good idea in the first place.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s blown out of proportion - Madonna has had then out a lot for decades before this - but never when she was singing :lol:
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8715
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby TIfan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:37 am

Madonna showed her nipple and licked it on stage. Right after throwing darts at Janet. Nasty hoe...

BTW, Janet was banned from everywhere besides BET. She could have created another "Velvet Rope," it made no difference.
TIfan
Legend
 
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008

Postby BlueScorpion » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:48 am

TIfan wrote:Madonna showed her nipple and licked it on stage. Right after throwing darts at Janet. Nasty hoe...

BTW, Janet was banned from everywhere besides BET. She could have created another "Velvet Rope," it made no difference.
True. She's even had a statue of hers removed from Disneyland and was publicly shamed. Some people were really inappropriate and abusive towards her (that David Letterman interview). I felt really sorry for her at the time being.
User avatar
BlueScorpion
Manager
 
Posts: 4749
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011
Location: Portugal - Porto

Postby Bojan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:53 am

I'm actually proud that she did it. She wasn't playing safe like others, it wasn't her concert nor MTV or HBO, it was national television. It was one of the bravest and most rebellious moments in Pop/Rock history.

But, in all honesty, I hope that she won't be invited to perform with Justin. It's not in her interest.
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby MusicRecords » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:30 am

They really are plying a lot of his songs in the US :lol: I’m even hearing *NSYNC songs
User avatar
MusicRecords
Superstar
 
Posts: 9288
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012
Location: New York City & Vienna

Postby joiPrince_JO » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:18 am

MrLeonix wrote:
Westen wrote:I forgot that she actually refused to apologize : :oops:
Yep, she refused to apologize, she didn't care and she released a string of weak and bad albums afterwards, she did absolutely nothing to save her career, whatever happened to her was her own responsibility.
Your extreme hostility towards women is truly astonishing.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
User avatar
joiPrince_JO
Legend
 
Posts: 10100
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011
Location: Austria

Postby Serby » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:51 am

joiPrince_JO wrote:
MrLeonix wrote:
Westen wrote:I forgot that she actually refused to apologize : :oops:
Yep, she refused to apologize, she didn't care and she released a string of weak and bad albums afterwards, she did absolutely nothing to save her career, whatever happened to her was her own responsibility.
Your extreme hostility towards women is truly astonishing.
But...... :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Serby
Dr. Serby
 
Posts: 34169
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011
Location: Halliwell Manor

Postby MusicRecords » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:02 am

Wait I don't get it....did she REALLY do it on purpose? :o :o I have always thought it really was a wardrobe malfunction...or u all just hating? :-? :lol:
User avatar
MusicRecords
Superstar
 
Posts: 9288
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012
Location: New York City & Vienna

Postby Bojan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:04 am

MusicRecords wrote:Wait I don't get it....did she REALLY do it on purpose? :o :o I have always thought it really was a wardrobe malfunction...or u all just hating? :-? :lol:
We can only guess...
User avatar
Bojan
Manager
 
Posts: 2111
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016

Postby GreekGeek » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:09 am

MusicRecords wrote:Wait I don't get it....did she REALLY do it on purpose? :o :o I have always thought it really was a wardrobe malfunction...or u all just hating? :-? :lol:
Yeah i think she did it on purpose.
Nicki Minaj had also a real wardrobe malfunction but covered it up with grace... :lol: :lol: You can't say she did that on purpose...
And the 8th day God created KYLIE!!! <3
User avatar
GreekGeek
Superstar
 
Posts: 6507
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013
Location: Greece

Postby biscuits » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:17 am

She apologised.

Hey Maddy stans
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 40754
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Return to Celebrity Gossip