Super Bowl 2018 Halftime Topic

Moderators: biscuits, Benjamin

Postby Debs_Wild » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:45 pm

BlueScorpion wrote:I'm glad Janet survived the temptation of a redemption with him. I wouldn't like to see her associated with this bad press.
As if she was invited to perform with him.
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby bm08 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:54 pm

MusicRecords wrote:
bm08 wrote:
BlueScorpion wrote:Janet played her cards right - the moment she announced she wouldn't perform ratings went down the toilet :lol:
To be fair, NFL ratings have been dropping this season in general.

I am not sure Janet could pull in massive numbers either.
I think it's more about the bad history they had and if they had performed together im sure more people would've been interested in the performance, and I mean the gp not just Janet fans who some probably boycotted viewing the show, the 2004 news would surface again and be a way to promote the their performance together again had it happened, oddly enough
I think it was an opportunity missed by Janet come to think of it. It could've been a win-win for both artists. Janet fans would probably look more favourable at JT because of the olive branch for a redemptive moment, which gives both good press. Another artist joining JT could've also given his performance a buzzworthy moment which I feel was lacking in his show, aside from the selfie kid which is less to do with Justin as it is to do with the kid.

The context is so different now, particularly with a more pro-woman outlook by many people in 2018. The nipple-gate backlash has softened a lot (for Janet). A large swath of 'black twitter' was feeling Janet the whole day and she could've capitalised on that momentum.

Too bad.
bm08
Moderator - Mariah Carey Topic

Postby Hugo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:12 pm

Janet performing next year would only make Justin's performance look even more like a dud. Will they dare?

I'd watch that.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby SpyVsSpy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:25 pm

His performance wasnt THAT bad but the Mirrors segment with all the mirrors seemed a bit high school production-ish
SpyVsSpy
Superstar

Postby BlueScorpion » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:29 pm

"Cry Me A River" deserved SO much more. It's his legacy.
You ain't gotta break down,
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:30 pm

I don't think his performance was that bad, it just isn't a time people are really feeling Justin. Plus with all the issues of race and gender right now, Justin Timberlake is seen as a bad guy because 1. he's been known to profit off black music (even though he always gives his credit when due) and 2. he threw a woman out to the wolves to save his own skin in 2004, and right now people are starting to really call both of those out.

The reception at work today seemed to be mostly mixed. A lot of people called out the obvious lipsynching early on, while the one really staunch defender is a girl who has a huge crush on him. The general consensus being that it was "ok" but there's been much better halftime shows in the past like Beyonce, MJ and Prince and JT couldn't hold a candle to those.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 pm

The best part of this performance was this young guy I couldn't stop laughing.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:59 am

Omg not to stereotype but the way he says "Super Bowl selfies" sounds gay af :lol:
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby innocenteyes » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:01 am

His performance wasn't that bad but it really felt like a non-event and really boring, particularly compared to the previous years.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:03 am

innocenteyes wrote:His performance wasn't that bad but it really felt like a non-event and really boring, particularly compared to the previous years.
Def true, most people would agree it was inda meh
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:08 am

NothingFails wrote:I don't think his performance was that bad, it just isn't a time people are really feeling Justin. Plus with all the issues of race and gender right now, Justin Timberlake is seen as a bad guy because 1. he's been known to profit off black music (even though he always gives his credit when due) and 2. he threw a woman out to the wolves to save his own skin in 2004, and right now people are starting to really call both of those out.

The reception at work today seemed to be mostly mixed. A lot of people called out the obvious lipsynching early on, while the one really staunch defender is a girl who has a huge crush on him. The general consensus being that it was "ok" but there's been much better halftime shows in the past like Beyonce, MJ and Prince and JT couldn't hold a candle to those.
I think all aside, his team could;'ve at least done a better production for the show. All the Janet drama aside the show felt too bland and cheap
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Jesper » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:34 am

Looking the performance again, I must say that I think that Justin is consistent but has been hyped and put on a pedestal that we forget he actually peaked during FS/LS? I mean I enjoy most of his music, I enjoyed this halftime show. But his style as singer, performer and entertainer has never grown immensely, he found his sound, he found his way as overall artist but that's it. It kinda lost his charm currently. It felt kinda refreshing when he came back with 20/20 since he took a really big break and his way of performing left a void in comparison to most males while he was absent. But now we have Bruno, who can do it all aswell and is a much fuller package overall atleast in my opinion. It's not like JT is bad, but we just get from Justin what we always get, and I feel the expectations were higher than the reality always was, if that makes sense.
Jesper
Legend

Postby abi » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:37 am

NothingFails wrote: Justin Timberlake is seen as a bad guy because 1. he's been known to profit off black music (even though he always gives his credit when due)
A lot of people called out the obvious lipsynching early on
I actually think most folks were fine with that (I mean, "Suit & Tie" & "Mirrors" had lots of plays from Urban radio) until he tweeted a quite sensitive remark regarding Jesse Williams' speech during the BET Awards a few years ago I believe, I forgot what it was. I think he apologized and said it was a misunderstanding though.

Also, did he really lipsynch though? He sounded 100% live to me.
abi
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:55 am

It really makes me wonder why there seems to be this notion that Justin was/is a good dancer. He hasn't really danced since 2002 and it looked rather unspectacular during the super bowl too.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby SpyVsSpy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:25 pm

MusicRecords wrote:Omg not to stereotype but the way he says "Super Bowl selfies" sounds gay af :lol:
I thought i was the only one thinking that :lol:
SpyVsSpy
Superstar

Postby Noahh » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:55 pm

joiPrince_JO wrote:It really makes me wonder why there seems to be this notion that Justin was/is a good dancer. He hasn't really danced since 2002 and it looked rather unspectacular during the super bowl too.
His tours/shows all filled with dancing, what drugs are you on?! :lol:
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Postby biscuits » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:03 pm

All the dancers on the field looked cool
biscuits
The Diva

Postby NothingFails » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:23 pm

abi wrote:
NothingFails wrote: Justin Timberlake is seen as a bad guy because 1. he's been known to profit off black music (even though he always gives his credit when due)
A lot of people called out the obvious lipsynching early on
I actually think most folks were fine with that (I mean, "Suit & Tie" & "Mirrors" had lots of plays from Urban radio) until he tweeted a quite sensitive remark regarding Jesse Williams' speech during the BET Awards a few years ago I believe, I forgot what it was. I think he apologized and said it was a misunderstanding though.

Also, did he really lipsynch though? He sounded 100% live to me.
I dunno. I have seen a boatload of "culture vulture" comments on social media. Especially from Janet related pages and the sort. People are not letting it go. Hell I even saw one person give him gruff for having a white wife as proof that he is a "fake"
NothingFails
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Jesper wrote:Looking the performance again, I must say that I think that Justin is consistent but has been hyped and put on a pedestal that we forget he actually peaked during FS/LS? I mean I enjoy most of his music, I enjoyed this halftime show. But his style as singer, performer and entertainer has never grown immensely, he found his sound, he found his way as overall artist but that's it. It kinda lost his charm currently. It felt kinda refreshing when he came back with 20/20 since he took a really big break and his way of performing left a void in comparison to most males while he was absent. But now we have Bruno, who can do it all aswell and is a much fuller package overall atleast in my opinion. It's not like JT is bad, but we just get from Justin what we always get, and I feel the expectations were higher than the reality always was, if that makes sense.
This is actually truth and I agree.

Some people overrate him and say he's a genius and that he's on Beyonce's level but thats not truth at all.

In reality he never really evolved that much after "Future sex / Love sounds" and he pretty much peaked with that album musically, creatively, and artistically ... and that was only his second studio album. He has nothing more to offer artistically or musically anymore and he's just getting worse and worse since 2006.

I'm not saying this is bad, its normal that artists start to become less and less daring over the years, but in Justin's case many people overrated him as a "Music genius" when in reality he's not much different than the typical artist that was hot for only 3 albums and who wouldn't be no one without his roster of producers (like Timbaland) who are the true genius of his works.

Beyonce is growing as an artist with her 6th studio album of her career, Justin is not. And unfortunately his Super Bowl appearance was a failure and pretty much profiling to become the most panned Super Bowl half time show of the 21st century and his new album is getting heavily panned by critics.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:01 pm

I think Justin gets put on a pedestal because he wasn't supposed to still be around in 2018. He wasn't considered the most attractive or most talented member of NSYNC (JC Chasez was) and spent time being best known as "that guy from NSYNC who is Britney's boyfriend", he was never supposed to surprise us with a successful solo career. The fact that he went solo, far eclipsed expectations and made people forget all about his former boyband gets people to rate him more highly than he likely deserves to be. And whether we want to credit it or not, Timbaland played as much in the success of FS/LS as Justin himself did.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby TIfan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:48 pm

The Prince tribute was everything!
TIfan
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:36 pm

People wouldn't be so harsh on him if Bruno Mars hadn't happened but he already happened, performed on SB, swept Grammy Awards and smashing the charts. I think he set the standart on male artists and Justin simply isn't as good as Bruno.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Hugo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:44 pm

spiritboy wrote:People wouldn't be so harsh on him if Bruno Mars hadn't happened but he already happened, performed on SB, swept Grammy Awards and smashing the charts. I think he set the standart on male artists and Justin simply isn't as good as Bruno.
Potayto-Potahto.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:35 pm

spiritboy wrote:People wouldn't be so harsh on him if Bruno Mars hadn't happened but he already happened, performed on SB, swept Grammy Awards and smashing the charts. I think he set the standart on male artists and Justin simply isn't as good as Bruno.
I don't get the connection :lol:
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:35 pm

SpyVsSpy wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:Omg not to stereotype but the way he says "Super Bowl selfies" sounds gay af :lol:
I thought i was the only one thinking that :lol:
Glad im not the only one either :lol: :lol:
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Return to Celebrity Gossip