Super Bowl 2018 Halftime Topic

Moderators: biscuits, Benjamin

Postby Nippian93 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:30 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:39 pm

Glad he did, he would de dragged even more if he had done that..
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Nippian93 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:45 pm

MusicRecords wrote:
That's true, and it would have overshadowed him.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:58 am

Nippian93 wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:
That's true, and it would have overshadowed him.
It's kinda weird he even thought that would work out tbh :lol:
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby MusicRecords » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:00 am

106.6 million viewers in his 14-minute performance that started at 8:19 PM ET last night.

Slotted in the 8:15 – 8:30 PM ET period by NBC, Timberlake is down 9% from how Lady Gaga did for her 13-minute Super Bowl halftime show last year.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/super-bowl-ratings-eagles-patriots-this-is-us-nbc-1202278181/
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Serby » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:48 am

Oop
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby aaliyahman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:10 am

He just isn't that captivating unfortunately.

I used to love him during his 20/20 era but he seems to just have become lost in identity. All foolish sweetness with the most annoying song ever 'Can't stop the feeling' and then trying to go 'dirty' and different (2001) with this new song.

I hope he pulls it together. Nsync should have come onto stage at least.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby Serby » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:15 am

Omg yes, cant stop the feeling is when I low key turned into a hater. AWFUL song and so annoying.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby abi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:42 am

Urgh I hate "Can't Stop The Feeling" as well, it's literally "Take Back The Night 2.0". I don't blame the selfie kid for not knowing the lyrics cause well, me too. :lol:
abi
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:41 pm

D*mn, Justin's Super Bowl performance was such a panned-mess that his album's sales predictions went down from 350K SPS to 220K SPS right after Super Bowl :o .... That means that his performance was so disliked that it even made people lose interest on buying his new album and less and less people decided not to buy it because of the performance :-?

Most panned SB performance of the 21st century, and possibly the first SB performance to cause a decreasing effect on sales.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:43 pm

dont think it actually decreased sales, they were just overestimating the effect
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Debs_Wild » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:55 pm

toni_pest wrote:dont think it actually decreased sales, they were just overestimating the effect
Exactly.

Plus, isn't he the first artist to capitalize on his performance by releasing an album on the same week?

I'm sure his tour will do fine numbers.
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby BeeBoy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:05 pm

toni_pest wrote:dont think it actually decreased sales, they were just overestimating the effect
Of course that's the problem. They just overestimated the super bowl effect and thought he wasn't frontloaded. I doubt that anybody who wanted to buy the album is not doing so because of the super bowl. Stop exaggerating, it may not have been entertaining or great but it is hardly as tragic as some of you say. Just not effective promo. He still is going to sell over 200k , low for his standards but he also had a long break. Most of your faves can sell that SPS. Without ticket bundles this is a healthy number nowadays. But the streaming numbers also reflect the low general interest from the GP to be honest.
BeeBoy
Manager

Postby biscuits » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:07 pm

I was going to buy the album but decided not to after his performance
biscuits
The Diva

Postby NothingFails » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:13 pm

It doesn't help that Justin just doesn't have any single out right now that's really setting the world on fire. You could say the same thing in 2013 when he opened with nearly a million, but people at the time were hungry for new JT music, it'd been nearly 7 years since FS/LS and people were beyond ready for new music. 20/20 pt. 1 and 2 weren't as universally beloved as FS/LS so people didn't have such astronomical expectations this time around, and leadoff singles that aren't that great don't help this album.

Mediocre reviews aren't helping either. Before this, Justin was an album who actually got respect in circles that look down on his boyband past, people saw him as a successor to MJ, Stevie, Prince, Marvin and many of the other r&b greats that he namedropped as influences. People who wouldn't be caught dead listening to Bye Bye Bye unironically enjoyed SexyBack and Cry Me A River. The new album isn't really winning over those critics, nor is it doing anything for his pop fans either.
Last edited by NothingFails on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby BeeBoy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:16 pm

biscuits wrote:I was going to buy the album but decided not to after his performance
The exception proves the rule. This doesn't make sense to me. Not buying it because he had a boring super bowl? He didn't even perform songs from the album except Filthy and that is out for a month. He may not have convinced new buyers because of that hence the prediction going down. But anything else is drama and I don't even care for him except for some songs. I liked Supplies and Say something but couldn't be bothered to stream the whole thing yet :lol:
BeeBoy
Manager

Postby beredy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:25 pm

MrLeonix wrote:D*mn, Justin's Super Bowl performance was such a panned-mess that his album's sales predictions went down from 350K SPS to 220K SPS right after Super Bowl :o .... That means that his performance was so disliked that it even made people lose interest on buying his new album and less and less people decided not to buy it because of the performance :-?

Most panned SB performance of the 21st century, and possibly the first SB performance to cause a decreasing effect on sales.
LOL. Sure.
beredy
Manager

Postby MrLeonix » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:38 pm

It doesn't work like that guys, predictions are not senseless guess-work, they are actually statiscally calculated after the first day of sales and most of the times they are on point.

He had higher real projections a day before the Super Bowl (with his album having already 1 day of sales), it all just went down after the Super Bowl.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 pm

I don’t think 200k is that bad these days tbh
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby stevyy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:18 pm

MusicRecords wrote:I don’t think 200k is that bad these days tbh
it's expected to sell 275-290k in the first week.
stevyy
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:46 pm

stevyy wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:I don’t think 200k is that bad these days tbh
it's expected to sell 275-290k in the first week.
That’s great then!
Follow me on Instagram

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Nippian93 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:26 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby LittleLinda » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:20 pm

I dunno... for me his family's permission doesn't make that much of a difference, as it just doesn't seem like something Prince would have wanted. They aren't him (and I'm sure they received a nice paycheck, along with the other right holders).
But ultimately that's just a gut feeling - it's not like I knew Prince. I just don't like this "his family was fine with it, so it's all justified" mentality of Kirshner.
LittleLinda
Manager

Postby menime123 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:59 pm

But it doesn’t make a difference if Prince would have liked it or not. I appreciate him not wanting to be a hologram (I disagree with using them in place of a deceased artist) but this was just a projection of him singing a great song for his home crowd. It’s little acts of tribute and remembrance that keeps his spirit alive. I thought it was tastefully done and that’s all anyone can hope for really.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby BodyShop » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:08 pm

I still don't get what did people see (or didn't see) that made them hate his performance this much.
It was pretty good for me . Could've been better ? Yes.
But it was far from being a bad or weak performance overall,that's for sure.
BodyShop
Manager

Return to Celebrity Gossip