Oprah for President?

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:55 pm

The speculation is fuelled by Oprah's response on Twitter to a New York Post declaring her as the Democrats' best hope for 2020. Oprah retweeted the article and wrote, "Thanks for your vote of confidence."

A year ago, I would have dismissed the notion as ridiculous, but in a post-November 8, 2016 world, anything is possible. And it is a beautiful fantasy to dream of her actually winning over the orange-haired madman in 2020.

New York Post wrote:Democrats’ best hope for 2020: Oprah

On Sunday night’s “60 Minutes,” a panel of Michigan voters spent 20 minutes discussing their political differences on screen. It was a moving segment and a powerful one, but it wasn’t all that novel if you’ve been paying attention to the political divide over the past year. The power came not really from what the panelists were saying but who the moderator was: Oprah Winfrey.

Listening, asking, speaking without judgment, trying to find common ground — it was a superb performance by Oprah, and I use the word “performance” advisedly. She was dazzling in exactly the way that Oprah could always be dazzling, finding a tone appropriate for the moment without being heavy-handed.

If any figure in the United States bears watching over the next couple of years as our political culture continues the radical transformation that led to the election of Donald Trump, it’s Oprah. I believe she’s uniquely positioned, should she wish to commit herself, to seek the Democratic nomination for president and challenge Trump in 2020.

If you think that Trump can be beaten by a two-term governor of a Midwestern state with really good ideas about health care, or by a senator who really attracts young people, think again. The idea that a relatively conventional elected official will differentiate herself from Trump by dint of her seriousness or that an unconventional elected official can out-populist Trump is crazy.

If you need to set a thief to catch a thief, you need a star — a grand, outsized, fearless star whom Trump can neither intimidate nor outshine — to catch a star. We’re through the looking glass here. America is discarding old approaches in politics. Democrats will have to do the same to match the mood to the moment.

And that’s where Oprah Winfrey comes in. She is the mirror image of Trump, but more so. Of course, she’s female and he’s male; she’s America’s generous aunt and he’s America’s crazy uncle. And yes, she’s black and he’s white, she’s liberal and he’s whatever he is.

It goes beyond that. He’s rich and she’s rich, but she made her $3 billion herself and with no controversy. She is, in herself, the embodiment of the American Dream. He got famous from TV, and so did she, but she became vastly more famous and vastly more successful at it.

She went from Oscar-nominated actress to queen of tabloid TV. Then, sensing a cultural shift, in 1993 she dropped the bleak stuff and turned her show into a parade of the positive, with happy celebrity interactions and relentless guidance toward self-actualization (“be your best self”). Her cultural standing broadened and deepened when she assumed the mantle of book-publishing savior with her monthly novel selection. Then she became a magazine mogul. Then she became the manager of an entire cable network named for her.

As for politics, it’s worth remembering that Oprah played a not-insubstantial role in the 2008 election. Her decision to endorse Barack Obama after his campaign failed to catch fire in its first eight months in 2007 provided the initial accelerant that took him from 25 points back to winning the nomination away from Hillary Clinton.

She introduced Obama to the Hollywood crowd in September 2007 at a $3 million fundraiser. And that December, she spent four days with him in the key early states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina. In the latter, Winfrey helped bring 30,000 people to a stadium to make it clear to women and African-Americans that he was her guy. His victory in South Carolina was probably the key moment for his campaign.

A 2008 study at the University of Maryland suggested that Winfrey herself was responsible for more than 1 million votes cast for Obama in the Democratic contest — which suggests he might not have prevailed had she not campaigned on his behalf.

A Trump-Oprah contest cannot just be one of personalities. Trump did not just win due to his. His embrace of voter anger and the idea he would “Make America Great Again” gave his candidacy a fiery aspect no Republican could match and against which Hillary Clinton never found the right weapon.

Oprah would need that, too. She can’t just be the anti-Trump. She would have to find a transcendent message of her own that rose above Democratic constituent service and spoke to the right people in the right states to take the fight to Trump’s underbelly.

She can do it — in theory.

The question is: Would she want to?

http://nypost.com/2017/09/27/democrats- ... e=mail_app
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:57 pm

I think Donald Trump should step down to make Steven Seagal the Republican nominee for 2020 then.
Time for third-party solutions, America.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:03 pm

Anything is possible now. At this rate, Kim Kardashian will be President in 2024.
Thriller

Postby heppolo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:06 pm

Thriller wrote:Anything is possible now. At this rate, Kim Kardashian will be President in 2024.
If only she's a democrat or a republican.
Kim Kardashian the Libertarian/Green/Labor/Independent will never happen.
Last edited by heppolo on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:10 pm

YASSSSSS! All hail the Kween. :cry:
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Oprah in the Oval coming to TV soon - exclusively on OWN :lol:
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:32 pm

It's a terrible idea. :lol:

I mean not as bad as Trump but not far off.

Just keep these celebrities away from politics.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby menime123 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:33 pm

Wayne wrote:It's a terrible idea. :lol:

At least I trust Oprah to do her research and ask the right questions. I mean, we know she’s good at that :lol:
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:40 pm

menime123 wrote:

At least I trust Oprah to do her research and ask the right questions. I mean, we know she’s good at that :lol:
Never heard her asking about why Obama expanded the U.S. military from 2 wars to 7 but nevermind me, I am just a loon.
Oprah will be surely better than DJT but DJT is a pretty low bar to start with. I mean, any regular folk, even his own daughter Ivanka, would have done better.
heppolo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:43 pm

By the way, Democrats have Al Franken, I think he would have won against DJT this year, let alone in 2020. (if we talk about the Presidential race solely)
heppolo
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:30 pm

In all honestly I'm already up to ANYONE. Trump has disgraced the US. The right wing was never as vocal as they are now.
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby stevyy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:22 pm

heppolo wrote:
menime123 wrote:

Never heard her asking about why Obama expanded the U.S. military from 2 wars to 7 but nevermind me, I am just a loon.
Oprah will be surely better than DJT but DJT is a pretty low bar to start with. I mean, any regular folk, even his own daughter Ivanka, would have done better.
I hate that too. Obama was a president of war. Democrats are always so shady towards Bush... but in my estimation Obama was even worse than Bush with all those drone strikes everywhere and hundreds of innocent civilians murdered as collateral damage.

+ the corporate espionage on the EU (France, Germany and UK specifically) was so uncalled-for. Obama has never apologized for it btw.

ever since Clinton left office we got this TV drama series caricature of US interference and back-stabbing in real life... it's scary... it's now peaking under trump who will cause WW3 with a simple Twitter rant.
stevyy
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:48 am

Seriously? :oops: :oops: They could have picked Angelina Jolie who is a more credible contender than Oprah. :-? :-?

Wayne wrote:Just keep these celebrities away from politics.
Exactly, especially with those celebs and artists who give scripted speeches and act like they know what's best for America when they've been detached from the real world for quite some time now!
GetBack
Legend

Postby Muzikritik » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:16 pm

I would 100% back Oprah as PotUS. Not because of her gender or her race because I trust her to be able to make sound, considered decisions that positively impact the majority.

And I think with a clear campaign she would win, too. Her influence is unparalleled. And I believe she's probably already established relationships with major world leaders.

As the article points out, the question really is if she wants to.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:18 pm

GetBack wrote:Seriously? :oops: :oops: They could have picked Angelina Jolie who is a more credible contender than Oprah. :-? :-?

Wayne wrote:Just keep these celebrities away from politics.
Exactly, especially with those celebs and artists who give scripted speeches and act like they know what's best for America when they've been detached from the real world for quite some time now!
How is Angelina Jolie more credible than Oprah? :lol:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Muzikritik » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:20 pm

GetBack wrote:Seriously? :oops: :oops: They could have picked Angelina Jolie who is a more credible contender than Oprah. :-? :-?

Angie has done great work with the UN and global causes but in the US she's still largely known as an actress. Or Mrs Pitt. Or the woman that helped kill Brennifer.

Oprah has achieved more and influenced more with a hell of a lot less controversy than Angelina. (Though I wouldn't mind her as President either, to be fair.)
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:14 pm

That little upstart of a harlot wouldn’t have the first idea. Famous for the men in her life rather than talent, of which she has very little.
menime123
Superstar

Postby MonkeyLover21 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:51 pm

^ Harlot? What year is this? :lol: It's an archaic term. No one uses the word harlot anymore. Speaking of of Potus, it sounds like something Trump would say.

No, Oprah would not be a good choice. After Trump, another celebrity is the last thing America needs.
The winds might blow through me
But I don't care
MonkeyLover21
Manager

Postby Hugo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:52 pm

It has got to be Michelle.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby MonkeyLover21 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:00 pm

Hugo wrote:It has got to be Michelle.
I think she would be a great choice but Obama said she never adjusted to living in the White House. I doubt she wants to go back. The Obamas ran out the White House.
The winds might blow through me
But I don't care
MonkeyLover21
Manager

Postby Loveguru » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:17 am

President is just a glorified news reporter
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:03 am

Mariah Carey for president. America would be a happy and bubbly country. :lol:
spiritboy
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:33 am

MonkeyLover21 wrote:
Hugo wrote:It has got to be Michelle.
I think she would be a great choice but Obama said she never adjusted to living in the White House. I doubt she wants to go back. The Obamas ran out the White House.
She also said she’d never run. Not that that means much in politics, but I think you can take Michelle at face value.
menime123
Superstar

Postby DOSSOME » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:06 am

Bye
Errr...Nice attempt but sit anyway
DOSSOME
Superstar

Postby BlueScorpion » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:37 pm

spiritboy wrote:Mariah Carey for president. America would be a happy and bubbly country. :lol:
Who cares for Presidency when she's already the Queen of the U.S.A.? :D 8-)
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Return to Celebrity Gossip