Boris Johnson - my £141k salary is "not enough to live on"

Postby Wayne » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:55 pm

Boris Johnson 'says Cabinet minister's salary of £141,000 is not enough to live on'

Boris Johnson has told friends his minister’s salary of £141,405 a year is not enough to live on, according to reports.

The Foreign Secretary told friends his annual earnings were insufficient because of his “extensive family responsibilities”, according to a report in The Sunday Times.

The Tory MP has four children with his second wife, Marina Wheeler. He also fathered a daughter during an affair with arts consultant Helen MacIntyre, failing to get an injunction to prevent the reporting of her existence.

The report comes as Mr Johnson mounts a renewed assault on Theresa May, setting out new “red lines” for Brexit in an interview with The Sun newspaper.

The MP for Ruislip called for an absolute two-year limit on any transition period, during which the UK should refuse to accept the jurisdiction rulings from the EU or the European Court of Justice.

He also said the UK should refuse to make payments for single market access after this period.

The interview also places the Foreign Secretary at odds with the Prime Minister, whose key speech in Florence implied the length and terms of the transition period could be more flexible.

Despite his apparent challenge, the Prime Minister said on The Andrew Marr Show that Mr Johnson was “absolutely behind” her leadership.

“What I have is a cabinet united in the mission of this government and that is what you will see this week and agreed on the approach we take in Florence,” she said.

A YouGov poll published this week found Mr Johnson is now favourite to be the party’s next leader among Conservative party members.

According to the survey, Mr Johnson has the backing of 23 per cent of activists, ahead of Ms Davidson on 19 per cent and Eurosceptic backbencher Jacob Rees-Mogg on 17 per cent.

But his repeated media interventions have led to a backlash from some within the Conservative Party.

Writing in The Independent, ex-cabinet minister Nicky Morgan said she believed Mr Johnson had "no place in a responsible government".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 76641.html
Wayne
Administrator

Postby stevyy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:19 pm

i hope he chokes on his ego and gets kicked off the Isles.
stevyy
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:47 pm

It’s like he wants May to sack him.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:20 am

Sorry...but am I the only one who thinks that that salary is indeed low..? :lol: I mean sure u can live on it but not comfortably I would say...
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby BeeBoy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:26 am

MusicRecords wrote:Sorry...but am I the only one who thinks that that salary is indeed low..? :lol: I mean sure u can live on it but not comfortably I would say...
If u cannot live comfortably with 11750 quid a month then there must be something terribly wrong.
BeeBoy
Personal Assistant

Postby Colbie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:28 am

^ Agree!
Starry eyes sparking up my darkest night
Colbie
Superstar

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:33 am

BeeBoy wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:Sorry...but am I the only one who thinks that that salary is indeed low..? :lol: I mean sure u can live on it but not comfortably I would say...
If u cannot live comfortably with 11750 quid a month then there must be something terribly wrong.
not sure how it works in the UK, but in the US after taxes it would be significantly less than that! Also, I think comfortably is relative from person to person, some people might feel comfortable in a tiny one bedroom house in the middle of nowhere, while others would feel much better in a normal sized apt in a good area of NYC which can actually be quite expensive (in NYC you get a TINY space for A LOT of money...when you rent a place in Manhattan the leasing people have a RULE that your income must be AT LEAST 40x the monthly rent....and considering a tiny one bedroom apt in Manhattan would be around $3500 a month, 40x that is already 140,000 JUST in rent a year...some would say making 150k a year is kinda tight unless u have roommates to split the rent)...so it can also depend on location. I imagine in the UK, cities like London aren't cheap to live especially in nice locations :wink: Plus, comfortable is not necessarily spending your entire month's salary either

I feel comfortable with a salary of around 200K+ USD a year, because I live comfortably with that in NYC plus I feel like enough of the money I get each month (after taxes) goes to savings and charities, but that's just me...some people might think thats too much for one person and other people who make much more might think that's tight..
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby BeeBoy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:45 am

This might be true but everyone should be able to live a comfortable life with that amount of money despite their preferences. Especially coming from a politician with the majority of people of UK whom he works for, have to live with much less than that.
BeeBoy
Personal Assistant

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:47 am

BeeBoy wrote:This might be true but everyone should be able to live a comfortable life with that amount of money despite their preferences. Especially coming from a politician with the majority of people of UK whom he works for, have to live with much less than that.
I do agree with that, if you find that your budget is tight at 140k pounds it looks bad to be complaining about your comfort when many others have to live with a tiny fraction of that...
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 am

BoJo tries to look and act like Donald Trump
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby thankfulforkelly » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:23 am

Lol he should speak to my dad who has a salary of £12,000 a year
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:25 am

heppolo wrote:BoJo tries to look and act like Donald Trump
I was thinking that :lol:
Still, he doesn't seem as embarrassing as Trump is to the US :lol: :cry:
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby Hugo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:26 am

Get him a comb.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Wayne » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:28 am

MusicRecords wrote:I feel comfortable with a salary of around 200K+ USD a year
Which is ironic as you've just said £141k isn't enough to live comfortable on and that's equal to about $190k.

I think you need to have a word with yourself if you can't make £141k work.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:37 am

Wayne wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:I feel comfortable with a salary of around 200K+ USD a year
Which is ironic as you've just said £141k isn't enough to live comfortable on and that's equal to about $190k.

I think you need to have a word with yourself if you can't make £141k work.
After taxes :lol: if it were 200k before taxes it would actually be like less than 150k :lol:

Again 141k pounds would work in many places, but in the center of NYC...very tight. It's not necessarily about the spending but rather the expense of the location :wink:
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby SalBoy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:20 am

MusicRecords wrote:
BeeBoy wrote:This might be true but everyone should be able to live a comfortable life with that amount of money despite their preferences. Especially coming from a politician with the majority of people of UK whom he works for, have to live with much less than that.
I do agree with that, if you find that your budget is tight at 140k pounds it looks bad to be complaining about your comfort when many others have to live with a tiny fraction of that...
You guys still forgetting that minimum wage in the UK is 7.50 before tax and people have to live for let say 1000 pounds a month with families and kids etc... Someone who says 11k it’s not enough for him is just egoistic and selfish ... he should be on minimum wage just for his ugly piggy face ... not mention his manners and behaviour

Sorry but for farting in warm chair he gets 10 times more then normal British worker so he better behave
Meaning of Grammy - album of the decade!!!
SalBoy
Roadie

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:23 am

SalBoy wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:
You guys still forgetting that minimum wage in the UK is 7.50 before tax and people have to live for let say 1000 pounds a month with families and kids etc... Someone who says 11k it’s not enough for him is just egoistic and selfish ... he should be on minimum wage just for his ugly piggy face ... not mention his manners and behaviour

Sorry but for farting in warm chair he gets 10 times more then normal British worker so he better behave
:lol: :lol:

Yeah it can be quite unfair, however, I think this has always happened and will continue happening, some people will have more and want more while others will struggle and deal with such problems, just life sadly.
One can only hope that at least they help others who aren't as privileged or rich

Curious, what do the UK people think about the monarchs who get paid way more than that? Such as Queen Elizabeth II who makes tons and recently got a 6 million pound raise from public funds? :o :lol:
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Don't bring The Queen into this - her value to the UK economy is 100 times more than what she gets each year.

What we currently pay is far more economical than reverting back to the old system.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Wayne wrote:Don't bring The Queen into this - her value to the UK economy is 100 times more than what she gets each year.

What we currently pay is far more economical than reverting back to the old system.
I understand she helps the economy a lot, but I don’t think that justifies getting AS much $ as she gets, she could live comfortably in any of the palaces getting like half of the salary given to her...helping the economy is great, but does she really need millions for her personal bank account each year? :lol: :lol:
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby Serby » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Sis you have a high standards. Having enough money to live, go out, travel at least once per year, maybe save some nice money each month is already a nice life. If one day I have around 25k euros a year here in Vienna (after taxes), I'd live a life that's a definition of comfortable. I get by 700€/month here and I smoke quite a bit.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Muzikritik » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:46 pm

I think the average salary in the UK is between £14,000-£18,000 per year. Obviously Boris lives a life much more extravagant than the average but to say that it is not enough? Chill the f out on unnecessary expenses. Like, what the rest of us have to do.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Serby wrote:Sis you have a high standards. Having enough money to live, go out, travel at least once per year, maybe save some nice money each month is already a nice life. If one day I have around 25k euros a year here in Vienna (after taxes), I'd live a life that's a definition of comfortable. I get by 700€/month here and I smoke quite a bit.
Yeah that was my point, some people live comfortably with what other people would find too little :wink: different for everyone, but yes I guess in general most people don’t make that much $ :o
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Muzikritik wrote:I think the average salary in the UK is between £14,000-£18,000 per year. Obviously Boris lives a life much more extravagant than the average but to say that it is not enough? Chill the f out on unnecessary expenses. Like, what the rest of us have to do.
Yeah he complains a bit too much :lol: like he should see what other people live on and try to humble up
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby Serby » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Yeah that was my point, some people live comfortably with what other people would find too little :wink: different for everyone, but yes I guess in general most people don’t make that much $ :o
I think these lists are always about average, working class people. It also depends on your standards. I feel like people in Austria see a lot of things as a normal, whereas I see them as some sort of luxury, but must be cuz I come from a different background where having enough to live by is already considered good and where being able to save some money is just a big plus.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Serby » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:30 pm

^^ also, 190k euros would take an average person in Serbia and surroundnings around almost 40 years worth of work, in some countries/places even more than a lifetime. And that's if your salary is kinda good. I hope I never raise my standards too high so that I feel like it's never enough.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Return to Celebrity Gossip