The Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment scandal

Postby Fan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 am

The sexual harassment scandal surrounding Harvey Weinstein deepened on Tuesday when three women accused the Hollywood producer of rape in an article in the New Yorker, allegations he “unequivocally denied” through a spokeswoman.

The accusations come just days after nearly a dozen women recounted sexual harassment by Weinstein – producer of the Oscar-winning films Shakespeare in Love, The Artist and The English Patient, and patron to Quentin Tarantino and Steven Soderbergh – to the New York Times and other publications, causing the Weinstein production company to fire its once formidable co-founder.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/o ... use-him-of

This is another disgusting story and seeing yet again, a man who uses his power to molest women. So many people are coming forward now, including Angelina Jolie and Cara Delevingne. It just surprised me it took so long because apparently, everyone in the industry knew this was going on and nobody did something to stop it.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby stevyy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:36 am

if he was such a pig... why did Hollywood cover for him all these years (30 years?).

I always see him at the Golden Globes with everyone... everyone seemed to adore him, including Tina Fey and Amy.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Fan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:38 am

stevyy wrote:if he was such a pig... why did Hollywood cover for him all these years (30 years?).
Well, because he was one of the most influential and rich men in Hollywood and could make or break careers. Not the first time something like this had happened. Glad to truth is finally out in the open en he is being exposed as a dirty creep, onto the next one because he surely is not the only one.
Fan
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:59 pm

I'm surprised at the lack of interest to this scandal on Ukmix tbh.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:01 pm

I'd never heard of him before this.
Thriller

Postby Colbie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:15 pm

^ me neither :oops:

This is disgusting!
Glad its finaly coming out though.
Mic Mic Bungee
Colbie
Superstar

Postby KEY9481 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:16 pm

stevyy wrote:if he was such a pig... why did Hollywood cover for him all these years (30 years?).
Power. Money. Influence.
5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016
KEY9481
Manager

Postby BlueScorpion » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Still don't know him.
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby stevyy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:50 pm

I love watching awards shows... so I knew exactly who he was... I am disgusted by the news bc literally everyone in Hollywood "adored" him.
stevyy
Legend

Postby KEY9481 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:49 pm

Kudos to Rose McGowan tho. She’s an incredibly strong woman, standing up against all the powerful monsters and fighting for the truth to finally come out.
5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016
KEY9481
Manager

Postby Serby » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:59 pm

KEY9481 wrote:Kudos to Rose McGowan tho. She’s an incredibly strong woman, standing up against all the powerful monsters and fighting for the truth to finally come out.
She can be a bit too much sometimes, but I love her.

The Ben Affleck tweet tho, whooops. Shots fired.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby joiPrince_JO » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:47 pm

KEY9481 wrote:Kudos to Rose McGowan tho. She’s an incredibly strong woman, standing up against all the powerful monsters and fighting for the truth to finally come out.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby Fan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:57 am

It seems like the stories keep coming and at the same time, it is only the top of the iceberg.

Kate Beckinsale
I was called to meet Harvey Weinstein at the Savoy Hotel when I was 17. I assumed it would be in a conference room which was very common.When I arrived ,reception told me to go to his room . He opened the door in his bathrobe . I was incredibly naive and young and it did not cross my mind that this older ,unattractive man would expect me to have any sexual interest in him .After declining alcohol and announcing that I had school in the morning I left ,uneasy but unscathed.A few years later he asked me if he had tried anything with me in that first meeting .I realized he couldn't remember if he had assaulted me or not .I had what I thought were boundaries - I said no to him professionally many times over the years-some of which ended up with him screaming at me calling me a **** and making threats, some of which made him laughingly tell people oh "Kate lives to say no to me ." It speaks to the status quo in this business that I was aware that standing up for myself and saying no to things,while it did allow me to feel uncompromised in myself,undoubtedly harmed my career and was never something I felt supported by anyone other than my family.I would like to applaud the women who have come forward , and to pledge that we can from this create a new paradigm where producers,managers,executives and assistants and everyone who has in the past shrugged and said " well, that's just Harvey /Mr X/insert name here " will realize that we in numbers can affect real change.For every moment like this there have been thousands where a vulnerable person has confided outrageous unprofessional behavior and found they have no recourse, due to an atmosphere of fear that it seems almost everyone has been living in .I had a male friend who, based on my experience,warned a young actress who said she was going to dinner with Harvey to be careful. He received a phone call the next day saying he would never work in another Miramax film ;the girl was already sleeping with Harvey and had told him that my friend had warned her off.Let'sp allowing our young women to be sexual cannon fodder,and let's remember that Harvey is an emblem of a system that is sick,and that we have work to do.
Lea Seydoux
I meet men like Harvey Weinstein all the time. I have starred in many films over the last 10 years and have been lucky enough to win awards at festivals like Cannes. Cinema is my life. And I know all of the ways in which the film industry treats women with contempt.
When I first met Harvey Weinstein, it didn’t take me long to figure him out. We were at a fashion show. He was charming, funny, smart – but very domineering. He wanted to meet me for drinks and insisted we had to make an appointment that very night. This was never going to be about work. He had other intentions – I could see that very clearly.
We met in the lobby of his hotel. His assistant, a young woman, was there. All throughout the evening, he flirted and stared at me as if I was a piece of meat. He acted as if he were considering me for a role. But I knew that was bullshit. I knew it, because I could see it in his eyes. He had a lecherous look. He was using his power to get sex.
He invited me to come to his hotel room for a drink. We went up together. It was hard to say no because he’s so powerful. All the girls are scared of him. Soon, his assistant left and it was just the two of us. That’s the moment where he started losing control.
We were talking on the sofa when he suddenly jumped on me and tried to kiss me. I had to defend myself. He’s big and fat, so I had to be forceful to resist him. I left his room, thoroughly disgusted. I wasn’t afraid of him, though. Because I knew what kind of man he was all along.
Since that night in his hotel room, I’ve seen him on many other occasions. We are in the same industry, so it’s impossible to avoid him. I’ve seen how he operates: the way he looks for an opening. The way he tests women to see what he can get away with.
He also doesn’t take no for an answer. I once went with him to a restaurant and when he couldn’t get a table he got angry and said: “Do you know who I am? I am Harvey Weinstein.” That’s the kind of man he is.

I’ve been at dinners with him where he’s bragged openly about Hollywood actresses he has had sex with. He’s also said misogynistic things to me over the years. “You’d be better if you lost weight,” he said. That comment shocked me.
One night, I saw him in London for the Baftas. He was hitting on a young woman. Another time, at the Met Life ball, I saw him trying to convince a young woman to sleep with him. Everyone could see what he was doing.
That’s the most disgusting thing. Everyone knew what Harvey was up to and no one did anything. It’s unbelievable that he’s been able to act like this for decades and still keep his career. That’s only possible because he has a huge amount of power.
In this industry, there are directors who abuse their position. They are very influential, that’s how they can do that. With Harvey, it was physical. With others, it’s just words. Sometimes, it feels like you have to be very strong to be a woman in the film industry. It’s very common to encounter these kinds of men.
The first time a director made an inappropriate comment to me, I was in my mid-20s. He was a director I really liked and respected. We were alone and he said to me: “I wish I could have sex with you, I wish I could **** you.”
He said it in a way that was half joking and half serious. I was very angry. I was trying to do my job and he made me very uncomfortable. He has slept with all of the actresses he filmed.
Another director I worked with would film very long sex scenes that lasted days. He kept watching us, replaying the scenes over and over again in a kind of stupor. It was very gross.
Yet another director tried to kiss me. Like Weinstein, I had to physically push him away, too. He acted like a crazy man, deranged by the fact that I didn’t want to have sex with him.

If you’re a woman working in the film industry, you have to fight because it is a very misogynistic world. Why else are salaries so unequal? Why do men earn more than women? There is no reason for it to be that way.
Hollywood is incredibly demanding on women. Think about the beauty diktats. All of the actresses have botox at 30. They have to be perfect. This is an image of women that is bizarre – and one that ends up controlling women.
This industry is based on desirable actresses. You have to be desirable and loved. But not all desires have to be fulfilled, even though men in the industry have an expectation that theirs should be. I think – and hope – that we might finally see a change. Only truth and justice can bring us forward.

Fan
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:23 pm

This is turning into one of the biggest scandals in years.

Oscars board votes to expel Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein over sexual harassment allegations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-cana ... ws_central
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:24 pm

PS I've edited the topic title Fan as it's become MUCH bigger than the original story - hope this is ok? If you can think of something better, please feel free to change!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby menime123 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:16 pm

Wayne wrote:PS I've edited the topic title Fan as it's become MUCH bigger than the original story - hope this is ok? If you can think of something better, please feel free to change!
Just be prepared to change it to ‘The Casting Couch Scandal’ in a week or so... imo the shit has yet to hit the fan.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby Fan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:10 am

Wayne wrote:PS I've edited the topic title Fan as it's become MUCH bigger than the original story - hope this is ok? If you can think of something better, please feel free to change!
Sure! I was already doubtful of the title I chose, so this is perfect.

I cannot stop thinking about this whole story, it's especially shocking as this type of behaviour usually happens to lesser known/just starting actresses, but this has also happened to some of the biggest names in the acting world. And I don't mean that makes it worse, but usually these disgusting predators only take advantage of powerless woman. Harvey really was shameless though and for some reason he could do this for years and years!!
Fan
Legend

Postby samra » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:15 am

I've been watching this story unfold since it was first revealed. It's disgusting and insane how ingrained this kinda stuff seems to be in Hollywood and how far reaching it was. Hopefully the exposes continue and the rest of the abusers get caught too.

I had heard about this guy being a creep because I used to be into reading blind gossip items on the web.
Listen to my 2016 Eurovision Song Contest entry: MIRACLE
samra
Superstar

Postby spiritboy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:35 pm

He's been expelled from Academy. Disgusting SOB :evil:
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:42 pm

So is this kind of like Jimmy Savile but he's still alive?
Thriller

Postby Mikerocha » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Wow at Courtney Love saying in 2005 into the camera for young girls if they get invited to his hotel at the Four Seasons, to not go.

Nobody paid attention to her and she was banned from ever making another movie :o

That one time the world should have listened to Courtney Love.
I'm ready to be loved and love the way I should
Life's about, life's about to get good
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby SalBoy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:11 pm

I have very mixed feeling about it

I mean i don’t approve this kind of behaviour sexism harassment etc

But on the other hand ... some people were doing some stuff and let someone do some kind of stuff only because they wanted to be there where they are now ... I do understand the fact lots of people less or more famous was just simply used but some of them wanted to be and thank to this they are on some kind of level and have achieved what they wanted ...

I’m not defending this guy I’m just saying that “stick always has two ends”
Meaning of Grammy - album of the decade!!!
SalBoy
Roadie

Postby stevyy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:13 pm

allegedly,

Ryan Gosling, George Clooney, Eric LaSalle, Julianna Margulies, Noah Wyle, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Casey Affleck...

all of them are a part of the abuse pack in Hollywood. They have all been named.

Especially Julianna Margulies as a hardcore racist. I am on the bathroom floor.

Julia Roberts too. :o

This whole Brad Pitt / George Clooney Ocean's 11 cast + everyone on Emergency Room. :o :o :o :o :o
stevyy
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:41 pm

spiritboy wrote:He's been expelled from Academy. Disgusting SOB :evil:
At the same time, The Academy nominated Mel Gibson this year and Roman Polanski is still part of them as well. So yeah.. I am glad he has been expelled, but at the same time it feels like The Academy could have done way better.
Fan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:59 pm

stevyy wrote:allegedly,

Ryan Gosling, George Clooney, Eric LaSalle, Julianna Margulies, Noah Wyle, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Casey Affleck...

all of them are a part of the abuse pack in Hollywood. They have all been named.

Especially Julianna Margulies as a hardcore racist. I am on the bathroom floor.

Julia Roberts too. :o

This whole Brad Pitt / George Clooney Ocean's 11 cast + everyone on Emergency Room. :o :o :o :o :o
I’d be careful what rumours you post until it’s clearly true or you can post a since for discussion. Celebrities or not, it’s libellous otherwise.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Return to Celebrity Gossip