Kevin Spacey comes out

 

Postby joiPrince_JO » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:21 pm

SholasBoy wrote:Bizarrely Spacey hasn't even denied it and instead said he can't remember but was probably drunk :-?
If he denied it people would just say he's a liar and the abuse is past the statute of limitations anyway.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
User avatar
joiPrince_JO
Legend
 
Posts: 10113
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011
Location: Austria

Postby JJeffs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:39 pm

My first thought was - you just apologized for being drunk and maybe or maybe not doing this to him but apologized anyway and felt outed so conveniently you admitted to being bisexual and then CHOSE to be gay.

It's all a disastrous look for someone I admire so much as an actor, and right before he headlines a major oscar-bait motion picture coming out within a month or so.

This is a career-destroying moment, and he didn't help himself with his statement.
User avatar
JJeffs
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016

Postby Fan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:41 pm

I literally cannot believe some of the comments I'm reading on here, don't even know where to begin so I'll just shut my mouth for once.

Although..

menime123 wrote:I am all for gay equality but I do think there is something distracting in watching an openly gay man play a heterosexual romantic role.

I just had to give a quick reply to your comments because it actually made me very sad to read this :( Actors are literally paid to portray something they are not. Just like Daniel Craig can play a spy, Matt Bomer can play a straight guy (and he was very concinving in White Collar).
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby menime123 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Fan wrote:
menime123 wrote:I am all for gay equality but I do think there is something distracting in watching an openly gay man play a heterosexual romantic role.

I just had to give a quick reply to your comments because it actually made me very sad to read this :( Actors are literally paid to portray something they are not. Just like Daniel Craig can play a spy, Matt Bomer can play a straight guy (and he was very concinving in White Collar).
Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree any actor of any sexuality should be able to play any part. I don’t disagree with this at all and fully support it. But when you know the actor is gay I think it changes your relationship with the story and it’s harder to suspend disbelief.

It doesn’t stop me enjoying anything though and would never say someone should get an acting job because they are gay. Hell I go to the theatre in the West End every week and believe me - I know there’s a mix of sexuality there :lol:

I should point out I support gay people getting gay roles over straight people taking those limited opportunities too.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby Fan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:41 pm

Hm, each to their own ofcourse! And everyone can have a different opinion, but I just think it's a difficult one. I don't think who anyone is dating in their real life should have an effect on their performance in a film or series or should influence the viewer.
Like Jake and Heath did a brilliant job in Brokeback, I believed every second. Just like I believe Niall Patrick Harris as the biggest womanizer in the show which name I cannot remember right now :lol: Even though I do know he is married to a man and he is open about that. There are quite a few 'out' actors these days and I fully support them getting the same oppurtunities as their straight colleagues. That's why equality is about. Just like I believe in my own workplace that everyone should get equal oppurtunities. At the end of the day, Hollywood is also just a workplace.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby MusicRecords » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:17 pm

menime123 wrote:
Fan wrote:
menime123 wrote:I am all for gay equality but I do think there is something distracting in watching an openly gay man play a heterosexual romantic role.

I just had to give a quick reply to your comments because it actually made me very sad to read this :( Actors are literally paid to portray something they are not. Just like Daniel Craig can play a spy, Matt Bomer can play a straight guy (and he was very concinving in White Collar).
Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree any actor of any sexuality should be able to play any part. I don’t disagree with this at all and fully support it. But when you know the actor is gay I think it changes your relationship with the story and it’s harder to suspend disbelief.

It doesn’t stop me enjoying anything though and would never say someone should get an acting job because they are gay. Hell I go to the theatre in the West End every week and believe me - I know there’s a mix of sexuality there :lol:

I should point out I support gay people getting gay roles over straight people taking those limited opportunities too.
I felt that way with Neil Patrick Harris playing a straight man in Gone Girl...especially the sex scene, I just couldn't take that part of the movie seriously knowing that in real life he's gay :lol: :lol:
but aside from that I still think he did a good job as an actor :wink:
User avatar
MusicRecords
Superstar
 
Posts: 9538
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012
Location: New York City & Vienna

Postby Hugo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:19 pm

MusicRecords wrote:I felt that way with Neil Patrick Harris playing a straight man in Gone Girl...especially the sex scene, I just couldn't take that part of the movie seriously knowing that in real life he's gay :lol: :lol:
but aside from that I still think he did a good job as an actor :wink:
NPH played one of the most iconic womanizers ever.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 36909
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby BehindBreakaway » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:09 pm

Uh. He is despicable. Using something so important as coming out to 'defend' yourself over a sexual attack on a child is deplorable.

It doesn't matter whether is was 30 days or 30 years. He sexually assaulted a child. Simple as that. That is not about sexuality. It's about power.

Hes made me so angry today!
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
User avatar
BehindBreakaway
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016

Postby Hugo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:16 pm

'House of Cards' Ending With Sixth and Final Season at Netflix

The political drama marked the streamer's big push into original programming, heralding the unprecedented spend that followed.
Frank Underwood's Washington tenure is coming to an end. Netflix is currently in production on a sixth and final season of House of Cards, the landmark drama that signaled its aggressive push into original programming.

The final run of House of Cards, which stars Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright as ruthless and ambitious beltway couple, will debut its last 13 episodes in 2018. Executive producers Melissa James Gibson and Frank Pugliese, who replaced exiting creator Beau Willimon last year, are both expected to return as co-showrunners.

Official word on its conclusion, which has been in the works since the summer, comes at a problematic time for Spacey. The star and executive producer is embroiled in sexual assault scandal, with an actor alleging that Spacey made aggressive advances towards him when he was just 14. Spacey responded, in turn, by apologizing for "inappropriate drunken behavior" and coming out as gay. (Neither the apology nor the admission have been met with a positive response.)

House of Cards has been especially important to Netflix. An adaptation of a British series and Michael Dobbs novel of the same name, news that Spacey and director David Fincher were updating the project as a beltway drama for the U.S. sparked multiple bids from stateside programmers (including HBO) before finally going to Netflix with a straight-to-series order for two seasons at a price tag then estimated to be around $100 million. This was in 2011, before streaming had become a dominant player in original programming and when filmmakers such as Spacey and Fincher shifting from movies to television was still somewhat surprising. It premiered in 2013.

The show has seen critical affection wax and wane over the years, but it has remained the de facto flagship at an increasingly diversified Netflix. House of Cards is also a regular favorite at the Emmys, nabbing 46 nominations and 6 wins to date. (It also boasts a Peabody and two Golden Globes.)

Netflix has changed dramatically around House of Cards, upping its content spend to flabbergasting $6 billion annually with more than 30 current series. And while the payoff of its unprecedented gamble is still a work in progress, it has grown its subscriber base substantially — recently topping 100 million worldwide users.

House of Cards' renewal also comes at a time of slightly shifting strategy at Netflix. The company only recently made canceling shows a regular practice, announcing relatively quick ends of pricey dramas The Get Down and Sense8 as well as one-off comedy Girlboss. Still, it's batting average remains much stronger than those of its traditional TV competitors. Without any public ratings barometer, recent launches Stranger Things, The Crown, 13 Reasons Why, Dear White People and GLOW have been deemed industry successes on cultural impact alone.

Executive produced by Spacey, Fincher, Wright, Dana Brunetti and quite a few other notables, House of Cards is made by Media Rights Capital and Trigger Street Productions.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ix-1018551
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 36909
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby menime123 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:31 pm

To be fair, season 5 of HOC was a bit crap so this comes at no surprise.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby ccadavi1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:55 pm

1. Even if it was true or false, when you hide something for so long and come out after 30 years because everybody's talking about that subject proves you are an opportunist.
2. Harvey didn't deny anything for what women were accusing him but Kevin says he doesn't remember... That is just tacky because if you are going to apologize you just say: I'm sorry, just that.
3. Media considers more interesting covering Kevin's coming out because the molesting story sounds kind of petty.
Donna Summer / Janet Jackson / Tina Turner
User avatar
ccadavi1
Roadie
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011
Location: Medellín, Colombia

Postby menime123 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:35 pm

MusicRecords wrote:
menime123 wrote:
Fan wrote:
menime123 wrote:I am all for gay equality but I do think there is something distracting in watching an openly gay man play a heterosexual romantic role.

I just had to give a quick reply to your comments because it actually made me very sad to read this :( Actors are literally paid to portray something they are not. Just like Daniel Craig can play a spy, Matt Bomer can play a straight guy (and he was very concinving in White Collar).
Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree any actor of any sexuality should be able to play any part. I don’t disagree with this at all and fully support it. But when you know the actor is gay I think it changes your relationship with the story and it’s harder to suspend disbelief.

It doesn’t stop me enjoying anything though and would never say someone should get an acting job because they are gay. Hell I go to the theatre in the West End every week and believe me - I know there’s a mix of sexuality there :lol:

I should point out I support gay people getting gay roles over straight people taking those limited opportunities too.
I felt that way with Neil Patrick Harris playing a straight man in Gone Girl...especially the sex scene, I just couldn't take that part of the movie seriously knowing that in real life he's gay :lol: :lol:
but aside from that I still think he did a good job as an actor :wink:
This basically. It doesn’t mean he’s a bad actor, but that we know too much about the person. It’s the same reason many have put forward as to why popstars struggle to move into movies: the audience know too much about them to accept them playing someone else.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby spiritboy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:02 pm

Disgusting pig. His career is pretty much over after today.
User avatar
spiritboy
Legend
 
Posts: 20831
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004
Location: Turkey

Postby Ewokguy15 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:46 pm

There you have it. If there is anyone out there who dislikes a show now is the time to accuse them of sexual misconduct and get there show cancelled.
User avatar
Ewokguy15
Manager
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Postby hellohello » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:56 pm

Odyssey wrote:Hollywood actor gay? Shocking :o
IKR!!! :roll:
Madonna......Rihanna....Beyonce....Michael...Janet....Prince...Mariah...Whitney
User avatar
hellohello
Manager
 
Posts: 4425
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005
Location: Love On the Brain

Postby SeeForever » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:24 am

Some people I spoke to today were really shocked him coming out, I thought it was common knowledge! Didn't surprise me in the slightest
RIP The Queen Of Disco
User avatar
SeeForever
Legend
 
Posts: 13691
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006
Location: West Midlands, England

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:01 am

Netflix needs to be president...they snatch that show up so quick :lol: :lol: , Just imagine if they were the government.

But yeah...gross and hell no. I guess he thought it would smooth it over if he came out on top of it. Gays can be pervs too.
SEE.sza.RUN
User avatar
ThaInfo1
Legend
 
Posts: 20764
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006
Location: Out with your man's best friend.

Postby Guru » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:11 am

He just chose the wrong timing to mention publicly regarding his sexual orientation. Coincidence?
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
User avatar
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 22621
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006
Location: On ukmix.org

Postby Guru » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:12 am

Kevin Spacey's Emmy Honor Rescinded After Sexual Harassment Allegation


Kevin Spacey will no longer be honored at the 2017 International Emmys amid allegations that the actor sexually harassed then-14-year-old Anthony Rapp.

Rapp came forward with the accusation on Sunday, detailing the 1986 encounter in Spacey’s home to BuzzFeed News when the Broadway star was a teenager and Spacey was 26. Spacey responded to the story on Twitter, explaining he does not recall the incident, and he announced that he now chooses to “live as a gay man.”

The International Emmy Awards tweeted Monday that, given the new information, the organization has rescinded a planned recognition for Spacey.

″The International Academy has announced that in light of recent events it will not honor Kevin Spacey with the 2017 Intl Emmy Founders Award,” the tweet read.

Spacey has been heavily criticized for his response to Rapp’s accusations, in which the Broadway legend claimed that Spacey picked up the teenager, placed him on a bed and made a sexual advance. The “House of Cards” actor, who did not answer several requests for comment before BuzzFeed published the piece, has been accused of deflecting the victim’s trauma and changing the narrative by coming out.

Fellow celebrities have angrily responded to Spacey’s statement, including “Star Trek” actor Zachary Quinto.

“It is deeply sad and troubling that this is how Kevin Spacey has chosen to come out,” Quinto wrote in a statement on Twitter. “Not by standing up as a point of pride - in the light of all his many awards and accomplishments thus inspiring tens of thousands of struggling LGBTQ kids around the world [-] but as a calculated manipulation to deflect attention from the very serious accusation that he attempted to molest one.”

Netflix announced the cancellation of its original series “House of Cards” following the sixth season, which is set to air in 2018. The show’s creator, Beau Willimon, released a statement Monday calling the sexual harassment allegations “deeply troubling.”

| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
User avatar
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 22621
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006
Location: On ukmix.org

Postby Fan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:37 am

Say it like it is, Zachary <3
Now we are talking about an actual inspiring guy.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12817
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby Hugo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:07 am

Episode from 2005

Last edited by Hugo on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
User avatar
Hugo
HAL 9000
 
Posts: 36909
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Portugal

Postby LittleLinda » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:45 am

BehindBreakaway wrote:Uh. He is despicable. Using something so important as coming out to 'defend' yourself over a sexual attack on a child is deplorable.

It doesn't matter whether is was 30 days or 30 years. He sexually assaulted a child. Simple as that. That is not about sexuality. It's about power.

Hes made me so angry today!
To be fair, we don't know that. But yeah, his behaviour in light of these allegations indeed comes off as very insensitive and opportunistic.
User avatar
LittleLinda
Manager
 
Posts: 3619
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008
Location: Bavarian Exile, Germany

Postby heppolo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:00 am

Never liked him as an actor, to be honest.
British ''House Of Cards'' still tops that american nonsense any day of the week for me.
Waffles are checked cookies
User avatar
heppolo
Legend
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009
Location: interchangeable

Postby Damiennatas1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:47 am

The title of this topic alone shows how wrong this is. :roll:
User avatar
Damiennatas1
Manager
 
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011
Location: Ireland

Postby cristy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:06 pm

Damiennatas1 wrote:The title of this topic alone shows how wrong this is. :roll:
Agreed!
User avatar
cristy
Superstar
 
Posts: 5730
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007
Location: Romania

Return to Celebrity Gossip