The Spice Girls WILL reunite in 2019...without Posh

Moderators: biscuits, Benjamin

Postby biscuits » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:24 pm

Emma’s gonna be a guest judge on All Stars tomorrow! That is star power!
biscuits
The Diva

Postby MrLeonix » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:47 pm

SholasBoy wrote:Actually yea,

A List Victoria
B List Spice Girls
E List Mel B, Geri.
Z List Mel C, Emma.
I say

B List - Victoria (A-list? Mmm she's not Beyonce or Madonna or an atonishing global brand, so nope)
C list - Geri
D list - Mel B, Emma, Mel C
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby biscuits » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:49 pm

Mel B is doing much better than Geri
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:51 pm

Instagram followers:

Victoria 19M
Mel B 1.1M
Emma 686K
Geri 639K
Mel C 432K

This reflects general popularity IMO
biscuits
The Diva

Postby menime123 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:54 pm

Mel C lives quite a quiet life tbh. Emma aleast is on radio every morning. Geri is improving, but she posts too many videos of her baking cakes and then photos of the results :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:53 am

I'm surprised Victoria is such hot ish.... I honestly don't care about fashion so I mostly just thought she was being Mrs. David Beckham, and he's nowhere as prolific as he used to be
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:12 am

Spice Girls together are A List… A List people get invited to Royal Weddings.
Ewokguy15
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:46 am

Exactly. I do think people forget just how big they really were to be honest. 1D mania has NOTHING on them, and 1D mania was quite big for a while. Plus Meghan and Harry were the right age to be fan first time around.

In terms of British culture, they define an era in British music - it is completely natural and authentic to believe they would be chosen as wedding entertainment.

Although I struggle to imagine having a first dance to 2 Become 1 :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:48 am

biscuits wrote:Emma’s gonna be a guest judge on All Stars tomorrow! That is star power!
Cool! 8-)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:20 pm

biscuits wrote:Mel B is doing much better than Geri
Mel B is currently getting more (cheap / quick) gigs. But I think Geri's 4 #1 solo UK hits which combined with Spice Girls #1s makes her the member with the most UK #1s, that IMO gives her a superior status than Mel B, if Geri did a solo concert her tickets would be more expenside than a Mel B solo concert. Geri also appeared more on the media and had more presence than Mel B in America.

Honestly if I had to pay and invite to perform one out of the two to a private party Geri would definately be my priority choice over Mel B and also I'd pay more to get Geri. I know Geri would actually have something to perfom, I mean what would Mel B do alone by herself? A bad rap or something?

I think Geri has the capacity to shine better than Mel B, I think she'd get paid more than Mel B for the same gigs, and I feel like she's more marketable in addition of having a superior solo career. Thats why I think Geri is a C-list celebrity and Mel B is a D-lister.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby biscuits » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:31 pm

Sorry but you have no idea. Just stanning for Geri.

Her chart success means nothing in 2018. Mel B has a much bigger presence in the media and world of showbiz. She’s a big name in the UK and US whereas Geri is nothing in the US and is not very popular in the UK despite presenting a TV show on Saturday night.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby SholasBoy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:35 pm

^^ Agreed, her chart success is nearly 20 years ago, it's like saying Billie Piper or B*witched are relevant. I haven't seen anything of Geri in the last 5 years other than that awful performance on some Australian talent show.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby MusicRecords » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:08 pm

What is it that happened to Mel C that she's so low key and now has that Z list power? :lol: like talking about solo careers, isn't she the one who has sold the most singles and has the best selling album compared to her peers?
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby biscuits » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:12 pm

She hasn't had a hit in over 15 years, and her debut album isn't enough to give her any sort of solo legacy

She did benefit the most from her solo career though. She was definitely the most forgotten Spice in their heyday - no media buzz and never that popular. I'd even go as far to say that people only started saying she could sing because of 'Northern Star'. During their heyday, they were all equally bashed for not being able to sing, whereas now it is trendy to say that Mel C was the only one who could sing (Mel B and Emma can sing just fine).
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:16 pm

In 2018, we can't rank them based on music because Mel C is the only one who still records music. They'd have to be ranked on what they're doing currently. 4 #1 singles in 1999 doesn't mean anything
biscuits
The Diva

Postby MusicRecords » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:19 pm

biscuits wrote:In 2018, we can't rank them based on music because Mel C is the only one who still records music. They'd have to be ranked on what they're doing currently. 4 #1 singles in 1999 doesn't mean anything
Umm it means something :lol: it’s better than saying you’ve never had a #1 :lol:

But yes she pretty much went downhill fast after the first album
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Thriller » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:14 pm

X Factor and America's Got Talent have given Mel B a lot more presence in recent years, I'd say she's more famous than Geri right now.
Thriller

Postby menime123 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:51 pm

Geri Halliwell was once the biggest female solo act we had in the UK - you don’t get 4 #1 singles by accident. The media loved her and she loved them.

But then for some unfathomable reason it was cool to hate on the Spice Girls and for whatever reason Geri was dismissed as a joke that couldn’t sing. The irony of course being that she has 11 UK #1 singles and was a judge on Popstars: The Rivals, which produced the next big girl band.

She faded away, renounced music, wrote some kids books and tried her hand at TV again. A few years ago she almost had the X Factor judge slot, but failed her audition (which was a guest spot). She annoyed everyone, rambled and was edited to basically make her look crazy.

She has largely stayed out of the public eye since, but has tried a music comeback with a 4th solo album (which leaked and was amazing), And TV projects - a few documentaries and now a Saturday night entertainment spot.

She isn’t a huge star on her own, but I do think she’s more respected now than she was even 5 years ago. She’s grown up a lot, got married, had another kid and took up baking (which like everything, she’s literally thrown herself into).

She might be more Gingerbread Spice than Ginger, but I still love her. I met her once - I asked if I could shake her hand then fanboyed out and pulled her in for a hug :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:59 pm

biscuits wrote:4 #1 singles in 1999 doesn't mean anything
Its funny how you discredit Geri's #1 hits for happening too long ago yet people don't apply the same logic to the Spice Girls and say they're A-list when they're together as a 5 member group because they had hits in 1997-1998 :roll:

Like it or not Geri's #1s add value to her name even if they happened years ago, and I'm not saying those old #1s mean sh*t in 2018, thats the reason she's not A-list .... She's C-list now because she struggled to keep it relevant over the years and now she's all declined, but the #1s at least assures her C-list status forever IMO.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:03 pm

I won't dispute, Geri was enormous in 1999/2000, and still big in 2001 but Scream If You Wanna Go Faster (the single) seemed to kill her momentum a bit, then by the time she came back in 2004 we'd had Pop Idol etc., everybody got a bit more snobby and she was coming across as a bit of a desperate mime act. She's in a decent position now though, doing these different TV projects and I think she's definitely more liked than she was five years ago.
Thriller

Postby menime123 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:11 pm

Well in fairness Geri and Mel C both hold the record for most UK #1s by a British female - they both have 11 #1s.

As some were double a-sides, Mel C has the record for most #1 songs written by a British female - 13 songs - and for a long time was 3rd only to Paul McCartney and John Lennon for the number of #1 songs she had written.

She might still be 3rd - I don’t know - but Gary Barlow has since caught up with 13 #1 songs wittten by him too.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Jesper » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:35 pm

Jesper
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:45 pm

Jesper wrote:
He’s just playing - like he’d announce anything to the paparazzi :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Jesper » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:11 pm

menime123 wrote:He’s just playing - like he’d announce anything to the paparazzi :lol:
Indeed :lol: but it's fun to watch
Jesper
Legend

Postby biscuits » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:12 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
biscuits wrote:4 #1 singles in 1999 doesn't mean anything
Its funny how you discredit Geri's #1 hits for happening too long ago yet people don't apply the same logic to the Spice Girls and say they're A-list when they're together as a 5 member group because they had hits in 1997-1998 :roll:

Like it or not Geri's #1s add value to her name even if they happened years ago, and I'm not saying those old #1s mean sh*t in 2018, thats the reason she's not A-list .... She's C-list now because she struggled to keep it relevant over the years and now she's all declined, but the #1s at least assures her C-list status forever IMO.
I said nothing about A-list, B-list, etc. My argument was that Mel B is bigger than Geri in 2018, and that Geri's #1s cannot change that.
biscuits
The Diva

Return to Celebrity Gossip