Forbes: biggest musical flops of 2017

Moderators: biscuits, Benjamin

Postby Wayne » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:42 pm

The Biggest Musical Flops Of 2017: Katy Perry, Fergie, Nelly Furtado And More

When the end of the year rolls around, there are many lists featuring the biggest and best, but few that highlight which projects in any industry did not do well. Everybody slips up sometimes, and even the biggest stars in the world don't always best themselves and hit the highs they're used to. 2017 saw a number of high-profile musicians drop albums that flopped, with some performing worse than others.

The list below is comprised mostly of albums that were expected to do well, or that were released by artists who have enjoyed significant commercial success in the past. Albums by unknown acts don't typically "flop," as not much is expected of them, but when everyone is looking (and no one is listening), that's when a things really don't work out.

Katy Perry - Witness

Of the five albums I chose to be featured on this list, Katy Perry’s is the highest-charting by far, and that is surely its saving grace. The singer’s fourth proper studio album became her third in a row to debut at No. 1 back in June, but it didn’t stick around for long, and what many in the music industry imagined to be true was proven: Perry is a singles artist, and when that route doesn’t work, it can all come crashing down.

Witness was met with mildly positive to tepid reviews, and while lead single “Chained to the Rhythm” did break into the top five on the Hot 100 upon arrival, it dropped quickly after that, and both follow-ups, “Bon Appétit” and “Swish Swish,” failed to break into the Top 40, despite expensive music videos and promotional campaigns. That's in stark contrast to her past records, which have all featured at least one (and up to five) No. 1 hits.

Fergie - Double Dutchess

The Black Eyed Peas chart-topper first tried her hand at a solo career well over a decade ago, and at the time, things went exceptionally well. The Dutchess spun off a trio of No. 1 hits and several other top 10s, and in the years since, she’s racked up more smashes with the group that made her a star. The Peas have now been on a planned hiatus for a few years, and Fergie has been working on rolling out her sophomore album for a long time...and when it finally arrived, it didn’t come close to matching her previous successes. The title has now peaked at No. 19, and while a pair of singles have broken into the Top 40, both were released at least a year before the record, and those produced in 2017 failed.

Nelly Furtado - The Ride

After her 2012 album The Spirit Indescribable flopped, Nelly Furtado had a lot of work to do in order to reclaim her place among the chart-topping women in pop. Sadly, she wasn’t able to do it this time around, and in fact, things went even worse than before. It took her five years to release The Ride, and when she did, there wasn’t enough money behind the project, as she opted to move to her own record label. None of the singles charted in almost any country (including her home nation, Canada), and the album itself didn’t even appear on the Billboard 200.

B.o.B. - Ether and The Upside Down

Once upon a time, B.o.B. seemed to understand better than anybody how to apply pop hooks to hip-hop beats and rapped verses to create a smash, but it appears that those days are over. Released in May, Ether only managed to peak at No. 122, falling far below his previous three full-lengths, two of which debuted inside the top five. He followed the record up half a year later with The Upside Down, which he claims is the first “Instagram album,” in that it was premiered in full on the social media platform. Unfortunately, the first title didn’t sell well, and the second was hardly noticed at all.

Walk the Moon - What If Nothing

Three years ago, Walk the Moon became the coolest alternative pop-rock band in the business as their single “Shut Up and Dance” became the rare crossover hit that actually ended up charting well. “Shut Up” made it to No. 4, and the album it was featured on, Talking Is Hard, stalled just shy of the top 10 on the Billboard 200. That type of success would normally make the next era of a band’s career also a big moment, but somehow, this latest chapter in Walk the Moon’s time together was very disappointing. Their third major label record What If Nothing peaked at No. 40, becoming their lowest-charting (including an album released before they had any mainstream success), and the masses didn’t hear any of the four singles shared.

Runners-Up

In addition to the five albums mentioned above, there are plenty of other titles that didn’t live up to expectations established by the artists themselves, their labels and the media this year. Pop vocal troupe Fifth Harmony launched another full-length that matched their peak on the Billboard 200 (No. 4), but their self-titled became their first to fail to produce a Top 40 hit, which is especially important to acts like Fifth Harmony.

Acts like Foster The People and Rachel Platten have scored surprise hits in the past few years, but 2017 just wasn't their year. The alternative band saw their star rise after “Pumped Up Kicks” reached the top three several years back, but now it’s fallen, and their experimental new album Sacred Hearts Club peaked at No. 47, while their last full-length hit No. 3. Rachel Platten’s “Fight Song” was ubiquitous in 2015, and it almost made her a star. Just a year after that track’s parent album started at No. 5, its follow-up, Waves, started at No. 73 and fell from there.

Also worth including, if only in this section, is Brand New’s latest—and perhaps last—album Science Fiction. While the band surprised many by debuting it at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 (marking the group’s first time at the top), it immediately tumbled down the chart, making history in the process. Science Fiction now holds the distinction of being the album with the farthest fall from No. 1, as it descended to No. 97 in its second week. Before that trip, a slip of 42 positions in week No. 2 was the worst showing, so Brand New’s second-week performance was historically bad.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcinty ... 7537d772b9
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Jesper » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:03 pm

I don't get why Nelly is on the list, did anyone really expected a commercial peak for that album? After her Greatest Hits didn't really did anything and The Spirit Indestructible also wasn't a commercial highlight. The article even mentions that she is independent, so she doesn't have a label with big money backing her up. Just because she had a commercial peak in 2006, doesn't mean she is gonna rise like a phoenix out of sudden as independent artist. So I wouldn't call it a flop.

I even partly dare to say the same for Fergie, as commercial product under normal circumstances it would be a big flop. But after all the trouble she went through, a label change and a huge a** breaks between singles and an overall long break as solo artist, did anyone really expected her to set the charts on fire? after L.A. Love and MILF $ didn't really set the charts on fire, and Life Goes On did even nothing at all.

I mean yes if you simply look at the numbers, they are commercial flops, but if you take everything into account, I wouldn't even name them on this list, maybe only Fergie as Runner-Up with a good light on the whole story.
Jesper
Legend

Postby MrDiva » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:15 pm

What about younger now
MrDiva
Legend

Postby DOSSOME » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:18 pm

Nelly Furtado released an album last year? :o :o
DOSSOME
Legend

Postby Wayne » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:34 pm

MrDiva wrote:What about younger now
Absolutely, that album sold like 75,000 copies or less in the US - that is a terrible, terrible flop.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Goldmoney » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:41 pm

Yeah I’d swipe out Nelly for Miley
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby MusicLover88 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:43 pm

Literally don't know why Nelly is here....
I mean yes 4 people bought her last album, but 9 people bought The Spirit Indestructible. She didn't go from Bangerz to Younger Now.
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Superstar

Postby stevyy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:12 pm

MusicLover88 wrote:Literally don't know why Nelly is here....
I mean yes 4 people bought her last album, but 9 people bought The Spirit Indestructible. She didn't go from Bangerz to Younger Now.
additionally, it was released by her own independent label. I would have ranked her among the biggest successes if the album somehow managed to go top 20 in the USA.

OT: The Ride was good.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:14 pm

This list is just stating the obvious, chuck Miley in theee too.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Debs_Wild » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:06 am

I would add Shania Twain to the list. She went from Diamond / Multi-Platinum to Wood.
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:44 am

^ not sure it’s the same caliber, but I see your point.
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:57 am

Witness wasn’t a flop
TheRealest wrote:Chy tf plz biscuits girl
biscuits
The Diva

Postby LongingHeart » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:57 am

Katy, Fergie and Fifth Harmony definitely deserve it.

Nelly Furtado shouldn‘t be on it, doesn't make sense at all. I would replace her with Miley as well
LongingHeart
Manager

Postby heppolo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:09 am

Donald Trump's Christmas album
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby ludichris » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Are these artists really flopping? I'm sure Katy is making very good money from touring, Fergie and Nelly Furtado went under the radar for the most part but get tons of recurrent spins/royalties among other things. It's not like any of these are begging on the street.

Rachel Platten deserved to have a better year with the great music she released I feel.
ludichris
Manager

Postby Hugo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:21 pm

Despite all the sales, Snake Cobra's Reptation was one of the biggest duds of the year, it literally had zero longevity and impact.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Wayne » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:25 pm

Hugo wrote:Despite all the sales, Snake Cobra's Reptation was one of the biggest duds of the year, it literally had zero longevity and impact.
Are you talking about the album that is #1 in this week’s US BB200?
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Hugo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Wayne wrote:
Hugo wrote:Despite all the sales, Snake Cobra's Reptation was one of the biggest duds of the year, it literally had zero longevity and impact.
Are you talking about the album that is #1 in this week’s US BB200?
Yup, that one. As I'm sure you know, that doesn't invalidate my statement.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Wayne » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:41 pm

How can you claim it has no longevity? We’re 4 weeks into its chart run.

It’s also sold twice as many copies as any other album in the US in those 4 weeks. It’s bizarre that you’d claim so early into its chart run that it’s a flop.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby stevyy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:43 pm

Wayne wrote:How can you claim it has no longevity? We’re 4 weeks into its chart run.

It’s also sold twice as many copies as any other album in the US in those 4 weeks. It’s bizarre that you’d claim so early into its chart run that it’s a flop.
he simply loves the controversy of his statements.
stevyy
Legend

Postby TIfan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:43 pm

Hugo, baby you doing the most. Please stop.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:02 pm

I think a lot of people forget the current climate the music industry is in. It's not 2008 anymore.
Thriller

Postby MrLeonix » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Miley Cyrus should have been included in this list. Perhaps the most shocking failure of the year after Katy's "Witness"
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby GetBack » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:54 pm

Katy Perry was destroyed by her own obsession with Taylor Swift, just like Kanye West in 2016, who failed with his comeback album. They were so dumb to think that it would break Taylor down, it even fueled the interest towards reputation, they (along with Kim Kardashian and Calvin Harris among many other who dislike Taylor) made it all easier for Taylor to rake in more money using the publicity. :cry: :cry:

Katy could have channeled a serious era with songs like "Chained to the Rhythm" (which had that Grammy performance and critics were even rooting for it when it came out) and "Witness" (the title track is something that's not her usual pop sound) but she soon kept doing the same thing with her songs and image in videos which got old. :-? :-?

Miley Cyrus definitely should have been there. She was the biggest star of 2013, "Wrecking Ball" is one of the biggest pop hits of the decade, and after Lady Gaga, she owned the VMAs like no other during this decade with that one iconic performance, but her follow-up album barely made news! :oops: :oops:
GetBack
Legend

Postby DOSSOME » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:59 pm

GetBack wrote:Katy Perry was destroyed by her own obsession with Taylor Swift, just like Kanye West in 2016, who failed with his comeback album. They were so dumb to think that it would break Taylor down, it even fueled the interest towards reputation, they (along with Kim Kardashian and Calvin Harris among many other who dislike Taylor) made it all easier for Taylor to rake in more money using the publicity. :cry: :cry:
Ugh... I Swear You and Hugo sure do the absolute most with these kind of logic :-?
DOSSOME
Legend

Return to Celebrity Gossip