S Club 7: Paul too "broke" to buy new shirt for TV interview

Moderators: biscuits, Benjamin

Postby Hugo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:44 am

Next to no one here in Portugal earns £600,000 in their lifetime, let alone in four years. He should've saved, wasn't it obvious that fame wouldn't last?
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby biscuits » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 am

Only £600,000? Diddums :cry:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Ewokguy15 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:52 am

Hugo wrote:Next to no one here in Portugal earns £600,000 in their lifetime, let alone in four years. He should've saved, wasn't it obvious that fame wouldn't last?
Plus all the $$$ he made from their sold out arena tour in 2015.
Ewokguy15
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Ewokguy15 wrote:
Hugo wrote:Next to no one here in Portugal earns £600,000 in their lifetime, let alone in four years. He should've saved, wasn't it obvious that fame wouldn't last?
Plus all the $$$ he made from their sold out arena tour in 2015.
It wasn’t a sellout and it had to be split 7 ways. They only did 12 dates.

And surely people in Portugal earn £600,000 in a lifetime? In the UK average lifetime earnings should be over £1M. Off the top of my head minimum wage should earn you around £750,000 in a life time before retirement.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:35 pm

If you worked 37.5 hours at £10.00 per hour for 50 years, you would earn £975,000.

If you worked 39.0 hours at £10.00 per hour for 50 years, you would earn £1,014,000.

And £10.00 is significantly over the statutory required minimum (which is currently - outside of London - £7.50 per hour, providing you're over 25 - it's £7.05 if you're between the ages of 21-24 and £5.60 if you're between the ages of 18-20). This obviously increases each year, and the government aims for this to be at £9 per hour by 2020. But the reality is that a significant number of hourly paid employees in the UK do not see £10.00 per hour (in fact, there's still around 1.4 million people being paid at the very low end of their living wage bracket).

The current UK average salary is £512 per week (£26,900 per year - outside of London) - but that is distorted significantly and more people earn less than that than actually earn at that level or slightly above it.

AOL stated that the average UK worker earns £1 million by the time they turn 56 - but again, that lovely word "average" just doesn't provide an accurate reflection.

Also, the UK is significantly more wealthy than Portugal so it may be that £650,000 is beyond the average worker in Portugal.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby menime123 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:20 pm

When I saw you’d posted Wayne, I just knew you’d bring the facts :lol:

Basically to earn £1M in the UK you need to be on a basic of £20,000 for 50 years. That’s not unrealistic imo. I know not all households don’t see that, but as an average I’d say it’s about right.

In fairness, I’ve no knowledge on Portugal’s wages, but assumed they’d have a similar sort of minimum wage etc.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby trebor » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:29 pm

EU - ec.eurostat.eu

Short Description: Minimum wage statistics published by Eurostat refer to monthly national minimum wages. The data shown here apply to the situation on 1st of January each year. In some countries the basic national minimum wage is not fixed at a monthly rate but at an hourly or weekly rate. For these countries the hourly or weekly rates are converted into monthly rates. The national minimum wage is enforced by law, often after consultation with the social partners, or directly by national intersectoral agreement (this is the case in Belgium and Greece). The national minimum wage usually applies to all employees, or at least to a large majority of employees in the country. Minimum wages are gross amounts, that is, before deduction of income tax and social security contributions. Such deductions vary from country to country.
Average Wages: 2015

United Kingdom 1,378.87
Portugal 589.17
Croatia 395.61
Albania 156.99
trebor
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:37 pm

If you worked 37.5 hours at £10.00 per hour for 50 years, you would earn £975,000.

If you worked 39.0 hours at £10.00 per hour for 50 years, you would earn £1,014,000.
In Belarus our weekly average is around £80 a week, which brings us to a figure of £200,000 in 50 years.
The minimum wage is £25 a week, which means roughly £65,000 in 50 years
Not much :)
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Fan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:04 pm

ludichris wrote:I often wonder how do formerly successful acts make money after their music careers are over? Regular job? Investing in property? Living off royalties and odd gigs here and there?
That is exactly what I have been thinking for the longest time as well. Let's just say someone like Duffy, who hasn't released anything in years. I mean, I really can't see her going back and getting an office job somewhere.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:27 pm

An act like Duffy will have many income streams and she could probably live a comfortable life off her Rockferry earnings alone. But if you think about it:
  • Live performances - I used to run a bar and we once paid Amanda Wilson (the lady who sang with the Freemasons) £4,000 for two performances, one in our Nottingham bar and one in our Hull bar. A total of roughly 1 hour's work. And she's D-list at best. Duffy would easily fetch this.
  • Video streams - see below.
  • Album sales - Duffy was the primary songwriter on her records and though she'll share publishing rights with her label, she'll still get money from album sales. If 5,000 copies of Rockferry are sold each year and she gets £2 per sale, that's £10,000.
  • Spotify streams (+ other services like Apple Music) - she has 1.3 million regular listeners on Spotify and has over 200 million streams on Spotify. On the low end, her streaming has probably earned her at LEAST £1 million - and this is all from music released before Spotify was even up and running. That averages £200,000 per year for the last 5 years.
  • Single sales - on iTunes at this particular moment, she is more popular than acts like Janet Jackson, Dolly Parton, Diana Ross etc - this probably nets her a few thousand per year.
Remember Duffy? You must do - because just by watching her old videos you've netted her SIX FIGURES

She may have slipped off the radar recently, but singer Duffy is still raking in the cash thanks to her YouTube videos

Duffy is approaching 100 million views of her music videos on YouTube - and all those fans could have netted her over £160,000.

YouTube users had watched the Bangor singer's videos a total of 99.2 million times by June 9 on her official channel.

According to StatSheep, which monitors the video sharing website, that could have earned as much as £162,146 in advertising revenue.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/m ... e--9431976
In 2012, 2013 and 2014 - the Sunday Times Rich List estimated she had earned over £6 million from her music. She'll never need to work again.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby MrLeonix » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:31 pm

There are artists who can live from Royalties forever and others who can't. Those whose music struggle to generate catalog traffic (catalog sales, recurrent airplay, streaming, songs used on media, itunes re-entries, etc) will have a hard time earning much money from the royalties. Honestly I don't imagine S-club 7's music generating that much money these days (anyone barely remembers them - they were just a brief cash-in disposable group) and whatever the few money they can get has to be splitted between 7 members, and labels and executives and others songwriters, producers, etc.

they are not like Dolly Parton who wrote "I will always love you" and that song alone will give her millions of dollars forever.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Serby » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Wow, interesting read on Duffy. That still a nice cash and she could live off of it forever withouth moving her pinkie till she's retired.

I think the problem is really when people get rich and used to fancy lifestyle and keep spending forever as if they are still cashing in. Imagine getting 2k per month forever, you'd not need to work ever again and everythig else would just be a bonus.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Spartan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:14 am

Even though that’s a lot of money for Duffy, it’s all comparative too the lifestyle you’ve led. I doubt that will tide her over for as long as we think.
Spartan
Legend

Postby ludichris » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:39 pm

No wonder some of these artists aren't in a hurry to release anything. :lol: It seems like as long as you have had one successful era and write your own music you are set for life. Your expenses will not be that high if you have a property to live in that has been paid for and shy away from the celebrity culture of private flights, champagne, drugs etc.
ludichris
Manager

Postby menime123 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:47 pm

Spartan wrote:Even though that’s a lot of money for Duffy, it’s all comparative too the lifestyle you’ve led. I doubt that will tide her over for as long as we think.
Well the assumption of Wayne’s post is that the trends will continue, but they won’t. In 20 years time I doubt anyone is listening to ‘Mercy’, but I agree in principle that she should still be earning enough money at the moment.
menime123
Legend

Postby Mikerocha » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:05 pm

If you're not active in the business, you can't be spending money like you were. If you're home, don't have maid, brush your own toilet.
Don't buy expensive cars. a Renault is enough to get you around.
Fly economy like everyone else.

Then maybe the earnings from 4-5 successful years will be enough to live a comfortable, humble life without worries.
“B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!”

“I’m staying right here.”
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby jpguy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Don't stop biddin'. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby biscuits » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:43 pm

The bidder withdrew their bid!

biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:44 pm

Paul is promising a meet-and-greet, with a photo, for whoever wins the bid
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Spartan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:48 pm

Gutted for him. Maybe he should just get a real job like us mere peasants as opposed to flogging crap on eBay.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Wayne » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:56 pm

It’s back up to £61k.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Spartan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:58 pm

Wayne wrote:It’s back up to £61k.
Are people genuinely willing to pay that much?
Spartan
Legend

Postby biscuits » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:59 pm

Spartan wrote:
Wayne wrote:It’s back up to £61k.
Are people genuinely willing to pay that much?
I think someone mabey got wind of the story, and could be pulling his leg again
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Debs_Wild » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:27 pm

Spartan wrote:Gutted for him. Maybe he should just get a real job like us mere peasants as opposed to flogging crap on eBay.
S Club 7's Paul Cattermole opens up about why he sold BRIT Award and the group's "difficult" reunion tour
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby Wayne » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:00 pm

DRESS CLUB 7 S Club 7’s Paul Cattermole so broke that Loose Women had to buy him a shirt for the show

The 40-year-old singer had received a bid of £65,000 for the gong he won with the band but was gutted when the bidder didn't pay

S CLUB 7's Paul Cattermole revealed he is broke and desperate to go on reality TV but "nobody wants him" on today's Loose Women.

The 40-year-old singer appeared on the ITV show to discuss the full extent of his money problems with the panel.

Things are so bad, that Jane Moore revealed the show had to buy Paul his shirt to wear on the programme.

She said: "You literally didn't have the money to buy the shirt on your back. How has it got that bad?"

Paul admitted he couldn't go into the full reasons as to why he was so broke, saying: "Last year, there's something that I can't really discuss that happened so it's a bit tricky.

"But I've had an injury, so that's what's happened in the last year that's made it very difficult."

Paul admitted he had tried everything from applying for jobs in the real world to offering to be on a reality TV show but had had little to no success.

He said: "If I'm cool with delivering Domino's pizza, then yes I am, if that's what it is.

"I've tried to [do reality TV], but they haven't wanted me for whatever the reason.

"I've wanted to be on them. Dancing on Ice, Strictly Come Dancing, the jungle, I've wanted to do all those."

Paul was part of S Club 7 alongside the likes of Rachel Stevens and ex-girlfriend Hannah Spearritt from its formation in 1997 until he quit in 2002.

However he rejoined the band for a tour in 2015, but told the Loose Women the money he had earned from that had been used to clear his debts.

He said: "When we did the 2015 tour, as it was written in the papers, I went bankrupt so I had to give all that money back but I paid it off.

"I owed about £30,000, accumulating over several years....and then the lawyers fees were £46,000. Bigger than my HMRC bill.

"All the money from that tour had to go to paying that off."

More recently, Paul's financial woes hit the headlines when it was revealed he was selling the Brit Award he had won with the band.

The gong received a winning bid of £65,000 but Paul was left disappointed when the bidder didn't pay and he didn't end up selling.

Posting more pictures of the coveted gong on Ebay, Paul added: “He just wanted to wreck my sale.

“Grab yourself a bargain! Everyone thinks it’s sold!”

However had revealed on today's show that it still hadn't sold.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/5 ... rit-award/
Wayne
Administrator

Return to Celebrity Gossip