Catalonia | Puigdemont to be arrested in Belgium

Moderator: biscuits

Postby Hugo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:36 am

Fiercely proud of their distinct language and culture, Catalans increasingly feel they are getting a raw deal from Madrid and their president is now demanding the right to raise and spend their own taxes. (Getty)

More than a million people swamped Barcelona on Tuesday demanding independence for Catalonia from the rest of crisis-struck Spain, police said.

A human sea flooded the city, as Catalans waved red-and-yellow striped Catalan flags and marched for the region's national day, the Diada, many accusing Spain of dragging them into economic trouble.

"There are 1.5 million people and everything has gone peacefully," said a police spokesman.

Closely watched by other independent-minded regions in Europe such as Scotland and Flanders, the Catalans rallied under the slogan: "Catalonia, a new European state."

"What do the crowds want? A new European state. What do the people want? An independent Catalonia," they chanted, packing the northeastern region's capital in the warm evening.

"We are being pillaged and the money from our taxes is being lost to Madrid," said 21-year-old history student Eva Garcia.

"It's now or never," agreed retired teacher Maria Antonietta Vila, a Catalan who lives in southwestern France but returned to join the march.

About 1,000 buses ferried protesters from across the northeastern Spanish region.

Fiercely proud of their distinct language and culture, Catalans increasingly feel they are getting a raw deal from Madrid and their president is now demanding the right to raise and spend their own taxes.

Catalonia, whose economy is bigger than Portugal's, accounts for a fifth of Spanish output.

But it is being squeezed by austerity cuts and by an economic crisis that has put one in four people out of work across the country.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1691 ... e-in-Barce
Last edited by Hugo on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby GUS » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:06 pm

:o at the amount of people! I wonder how serious this is... I mean, is it legally and politically possible to create a new State?
GUS
Superstar

Postby Play » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Where is Europe going to :roll:
Play
Legend

Postby jpguy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:58 pm

woow :o :o :o :o
::: Shinin', shinin', just like a DIAMOND, blindin' blindin' :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby ANH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:05 pm

Doubt they'll be able to secede from Spain, but if they manage to, it would be awesome for them.

Also, it's amazing that it's a peaceful protest.
ANH
Superstar

Postby cidermaster » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:54 pm

With the money crisis in Europe i doubt it will happen in the near future.
cidermaster
Legend

Postby Jonathan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:47 pm

Do you guys imagine Barcelona FC out of the spanish league?

It'll never happen.
Jonathan
Superstar

Postby nekoocz » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:46 pm

Play wrote:Where is Europe going to :roll:
they was independence for years and years ...
nekoo.cz - follow me
nekoocz
Legend

Postby Serby » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:00 pm

jkkdark wrote:Do you guys imagine Barcelona FC out of the spanish league?

It'll never happen.
who cares 'bout football here? :P :lol:
No one xD
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby stevyy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:48 pm

soemthing like that would not be possible in Germany.. even though i'd love to kick out Bavaria from the federation. :lol:

I think the amount of people will pressure the spanish government to do something. BUT Spain cannot afford to lose their economic engine.
stevyy
Legend

Postby MonaBlissa » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Whoa! First an economic collapse, and now this!

I remember Rick Perry tried to start a Texas secession movement (all talk) for a second.
MonaBlissa
Manager

Postby Nackar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:34 pm

This isn't anything new though. The scale of course is quite special, but we shouldn't act like this is suddenly a new thing. They've been wanting to cede for years, decades even :P

Great that it was a peaceful protest! I've never seen anything like this on such a scale before either... I hope for them it will mean something, but I doubt Spain will be willing to give them up quite as easily.
Nackar
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:27 pm

Yeah, they've been claiming for independence for a while now.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby MonaBlissa » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:38 pm

Could someone explain more about this current vote?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb ... _ref=world
MonaBlissa
Manager

Postby stevyy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:54 pm

if this happens.. Kosovo will seek for independence as well.. and then maybe Belgium will split.. and northern Italy from the south... this is a dangerous game for the EU.
stevyy
Legend

Postby ginnyfan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:57 pm

^ Kosovo is already independent, for 4 years or so.

But yes, many regions could follow. Well if majority is for it, there's no reason to stop the will of people.
ginnyfan
Superstar

Postby Frederic » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:03 pm

Let's see how far they will get on their own... I'm sceptical but one thing is for sure: Spain needs to get their act together because they're on the decline.
Frederic
Good Boy Gone Bad

Postby stevyy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:18 pm

ginnyfan wrote:^ Kosovo is already independent, for 4 years or so.

But yes, many regions could follow. Well if majority is for it, there's no reason to stop the will of people.
that's true and yet the Kosovo relies on help (economical and financial) by foreign countries.. and only 50+ countries in the world accepted their independence (among those that don't: Spain and Greece).
stevyy
Legend

Postby Serby » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:22 pm

^ I guess Spain didn't accepted Kosovo, only cuz they were afraid for Catalonia.

Also, I still think Kosovo is Serbia, a part of it, It will always be.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby stevyy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:51 pm

serbia95riri wrote:^ I guess Spain didn't accepted Kosovo, only cuz they were afraid for Catalonia.

actually, it has been an autonome state up until the 1989 or so.. I find the Kosovo really interesting (as a european territorial problem) because Serbians only account for 10% or less of its total population (of 1.7 million). It's like Germany claiming its Prussian territories back while something like 0,1% or so Germans still live there.. it would be hilarious.

I think the problem with the Catalans is, that they actually have their own culture and language. So is that enough to form a new nation? why then can the UK balance the Scottish and Welsh with their own traditions and languages/dialects?

I love Spain and I love the Catalan region. I'm against a split because it would push Spain back in the middle ages (economic-wise). It may be good for the Catalans but it would put 30m or so Spanish people in agony.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Rihab » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:39 pm

How stupid. :o :-?

Leaving the sinking ship, that's nothing but asocial..
Rihab
Legend

Postby MonaBlissa » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:22 pm

stevyy wrote:
serbia95riri wrote:^ I guess Spain didn't accepted Kosovo, only cuz they were afraid for Catalonia.

actually, it has been an autonome state up until the 1989 or so.. I find the Kosovo really interesting (as a european territorial problem) because Serbians only account for 10% or less of its total population (of 1.7 million). It's like Germany claiming its Prussian territories back while something like 0,1% or so Germans still live there.. it would be hilarious.

I think the problem with the Catalans is, that they actually have their own culture and language. So is that enough to form a new nation? why then can the UK balance the Scottish and Welsh with their own traditions and languages/dialects?

I love Spain and I love the Catalan region. I'm against a split because it would push Spain back in the middle ages (economic-wise). It may be good for the Catalans but it would put 30m or so Spanish people in agony.
Isn't Scotland voting for its independence next year?

And I saw one elder Catalonian lady say she fears the split because she saw other nations go independent and crumble.
MonaBlissa
Manager

Postby jio » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:06 pm

Just saw this conversation and I couldn't care any less about Catalan or Scottish independence (the results of the vote in Catalonia does seem to push them towards independence) but the thing is whatever happens in those two the result would be more countries for Germany and company to bail-out. Catalonia is as bankrupt as the rest of Spain is and Scotland, well, could you imagine newly independent Scotland's taxpayers having to bail-out RBS?

As for Kosovo, well it is not independent according to international law. It is independent according to the views of certain countries but that does not mean much in the international sense. Its status is similar to Taiwan, North Cyprus, Ossetia etc. De facto independent but legally still part of a bigger neighbour
jio
Legend

Postby Skoolio » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:08 pm

I always support declaring independence.
Some people believe in God, I believe in music. Some people pray, I turn up the radio.
Skoolio
Manager

Postby ginnyfan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:22 pm

stevyy wrote:

Well there was much more of them before 1999 when they were forced out. Few days ago one of the leaders of army that did it was set free by Hague. International justice system at it's best..... :roll:
ginnyfan
Superstar

Return to World News & Politics