UKMIX Survey 2016 - Results

Postby matthew_dixon » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:28 pm

A number of people have been asking what happened regarding the results of our recent forum survey. Apologies for the delay in anyone actually publishing these, but we were really wanting to make a big announcement of things, and we’re slightly held up.

Also, watch this space regarding wider announcements over the future of UKMIX. I think it’s pretty safe to say we’re not going to be going anywhere anytime soon, but we just need to finalise how we would cope with all of the techy coding type stuff in the absence of Lars.

So – we had 74 people completing the survey, which gives us a really good broad response base.

Layout
Overall, people are satisfied with the layout of the site. 74% of people were satisfied with it, only 7% dissatisfied – with the remainder neutral.

There was nothing particularly overriding in terms of ideas that people had – but one thing people commented on was the irrelevance of our Twitter feed on the homepage.

General Forums Stuff
The vast majority of people thought that we had all the right forums. There was no particular consensus on adding any extra genres – with opinion divided on a “Country” forum.

Hardly anyone thought the process for opening a single or album thread wasn’t clear (3%) and few people were actually worried that at present UKMIX was not safe for work (7%).

On the big hot topic of .GIF animated images – 62% were in favour of keeping things as they are with .GIF animated images banned (indeed some people said that they would consider leaving if we allowed them). Just 24% wanted .GIF animated images. (That means only 14% of people were neutral on that one!)

Moderation
Over 70% of people were satisfied with how the moderators do their job, were aware of who they were and felt they handled problems effectively. Fewer than 10% disagreed on those points. Opinion was much more split on the question “Do we need more moderators in some forums?” – 23% yes, 45% neutral, 31% against.

Other
Most people (60%) felt that the process for holding survivors was conducted well, and only 2% had an issue with the process for holding major countdowns. 11% of people thought there was a problem with cliques/bullying on the site – which whilst I’d love to see it at zero, is thankfully not that high at all.

New Features
There were a number of interesting results here.

60% of people were in favour of adding more emoticons. This is something we’re definitely going to look at doing once we’ve sorted out who’s dealing with the tech side of the site. (29% neutral, 11% against).

55% of people were in favour of there being original content on the UKMIX homepage. (42% neutral, 3% against). This is something we can definitely do when we get someone on board doing the tech stuff, as long as people are prepared to produce it.

56% of people wanted an increased presence of social media (36% neutral, 8% against). I’d hope those of you who are on Facebook would agree that the UKMIX presence on there has increased dramatically – and I’d like to publically thank Jim for doing a lot more on that.

The other two were much more contentious. The question surrounding a “Like” button had only 7% of people remaining neutral! 53% were in favour, but 40% were against! I’m not going to promise anything either way on this one, as it clearly polarises opinion.

The idea of “Premium Membership” was far from universally agreed, but those who were not neutral (28%) were 2:1 against it – 48% disliked it to 24% liking it. Again, it looks like this one might go back on the drawing board at present.

So, what are you guys going to do about it?

This is probably what most people want to know - and I'm afraid I don't have THAT much to answer at present.

The first thing I would say is that the vast majority of people were happy with things the way they are - with little consensus on what if anything needs to change. It was definitely felt that we needed more emoticons - and I'm sure we'll get these done sooner rather than later - as I'm aware these have been requested for quite some time now. Also, I think there's one thing we definitely have done - getting more social media presence.

As for other things, and particularly some of the really good suggestions made in the survey - we need to go through them and see what there is that's really worth doing. It seems like a number of people raised issues with the content of the homepage, so that might be a place to start - but I don't want to promise anything on that off my own back, as it wouldn't be me with the skills to do it just yet!
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby KokoCollino » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:32 pm

Thanks for your work and the first analysis :D
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby Airwrecka » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:38 pm

I'd like to add a few points, if I may...

In response to the small number of users who said they were not fully aware of who the Moderation Staff are, I have hopefully addressed that issue here.

Generally, having read the various comments from participants, there weren't any glaring issues that were immediately flagged up. There are generally two types of issues that this survey can identify: 1) existing problems or things that are currently not managed well, and 2) suggestions for future change. As Matthew said, there weren't too many existing problems to address; and we are constantly reviewing any that have been identified in response to ongoing feedback. There were far more of the second type, and these will be considered in greater depth as more details emerge over the future management of the site. Whilst there may not be many direct changes at the moment in response to the survey results, please be assured that we are still discussing the findings, and that we do use feedback to influence ongoing moderation decisions.

In other words, please be aware that the results are still being analysed, and outcomes and conclusions are still very much an ongoing work in progress.
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby biscuits » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:58 pm

^ Isn't that pretty much what matthew_dixon already said? :-?
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Airwrecka » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:04 pm

biscuits wrote:^ Isn't that pretty much what matthew_dixon already said? :-?
Maybe. My point is that following previous surveys, people have complained that nothing was done. I wanted to expand on a few of Matthew's points regarding why there aren't many noticeable changes being made right now. I apologise if you found it repetitive. :-?
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:09 am

Thanks.

Don't forget the embedding of multiple yt videos in a single post and allowing us to post them in all forums. :wink:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Gravity » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:01 pm

Thanks for the results.
I'm definitely here for more emoticons and Country forum even though I feel like I'd be one of 3 people who would visit it :lol:
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Carbon » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:06 pm

Country/Folk not just country. they are close genres but not the same. and both don't really fit into Pop or Rock. I would love a place for Folk albums as well
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:58 pm

It ain't gonna happen guys. Although I have proposed an 'Others' forum for everything which doesn't fit into the current 4 - errthang from country to classical, reggae to Bjork. I think it's fallen on deaf ears though :cry:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Wayne » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:45 pm

I think a better solution is rebranding Pure Pop to incorporate country music - no to a whole new section.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby flopho » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:46 pm

The other two were much more contentious. The question surrounding a “Like” button had only 7% of people remaining neutral! 53% were in favour, but 40% were against! I’m not going to promise anything either way on this one, as it clearly polarises opinion.
mess
Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Legend

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:22 pm

Might I ask, why a country / folk forum is opposed? I mean, what reasons do people have other than that they wouldn't personally use it?

I think I said before I'd be happy to mod it and move all the posts over, so I don't see how it really bothers anyone tbh. It's never going to be a moderation hotspot anyway.

I'd be intrigued what the reasoning is...
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Storyteller » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:00 pm

Airwrecka wrote:Might I ask, why a country / folk forum is opposed? I mean, what reasons do people have other than that they wouldn't personally use it?

I think I said before I'd be happy to mod it and move all the posts over, so I don't see how it really bothers anyone tbh. It's never going to be a moderation hotspot anyway.

I echo this!!!
I don't see why it's such a big deal. It might actually bring new users, God knows we're short of them lately.
Storyteller
Cowboy Casanova

Postby Carbon » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:14 pm

Storyteller wrote:
Airwrecka wrote:Might I ask, why a country / folk forum is opposed? I mean, what reasons do people have other than that they wouldn't personally use it?

I echo this!!!
I glassheart this!!! (but really i also echo this)
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby thankfulforkelly » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:21 pm

Carbon wrote:
Storyteller wrote:

I echo this!!!
I Christmas, with love this I would really love a country/folk topic
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby Wayne » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:37 pm

Echo all you like. :lol:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Airwrecka » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:43 pm

thankfulforkelly wrote:
Carbon wrote:
Storyteller wrote:

I echo this!!!
I Christmas, with love this I would really love a country/folk topic
I Am the speaker of truth.
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby theArmy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:17 am

my Spirit isn't ready for a You+Me forum!! :cry:
LITTLE CHIX - a new pop sensation on the horizon!
theArmy
Legend

Postby Noahh » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:34 am

CrazyCrazy wrote:Don't forget the embedding of multiple yt videos in a single post and allowing us to post them in all forums. :wink:
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Postby theArmy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Noahh wrote:
CrazyCrazy wrote:Don't forget the embedding of multiple yt videos in a single post and allowing us to post them in all forums. :wink:
LITTLE CHIX - a new pop sensation on the horizon!
theArmy
Legend

Postby Graham76man » Mon May 02, 2016 12:29 am

Any information on the site picture uploader?
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Phoenixx » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:05 am

What about new Emojis? :D
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby Storyteller » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:42 pm

Shockingly nothing's been done :roll:
Storyteller
Cowboy Casanova

Postby biscuits » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:52 pm

The 2016 survey should have never been started because it was clear that nothing much could be done without lars. We're still waiting for results from 2014 to be implemented.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby RLAAMJR » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:02 am

Can we have emoticons/smilies of music artists? we can start with Celine, Mariah, Whitney, Michael Jackson and Madonna
Celine Marie Claudette Tanguay Dion-Angelil, #BestSellingArtistofthe90s #TheGreatestCanadian #SaviorofLasVegas #QueenofThemeSongs
RLAAMJR
Manager

Return to Front Desk