Useful UKMix features that you might not know about

Postby Airwrecka » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:51 pm

From time to time we get asked how to do specific things on UKMix that might enhance your user experience. It sometimes surprises me that some of our more established, regular members are unaware of some useful tools and functions that we have here. I've therefore put together this quick guide to some useful UKMix features that you may not be aware of. If anyone thinks of anything else to add, you can let me know below. If you have any queries, you can continue to ask them in the Problems or questions regarding UKMIX thread as usual. :wink:

Finding replies to threads you've posted in

The easiest way to track replies to threads you have posted in is to select "View your posts" on the top menu. This brings up a custom page containing ONLY threads you have posted in. If there's a little orange box next to the title, it contains new replies that you haven't seen whilst logged in. The screenshot below shows you my personalised page:

Receiving notifications when someone posts in a thread you've posted in

There isn't a way to receive notifications when someone directly quotes you, but you can be notified by email when a new post is made in a specific thread. I recommend only using this feature if you're really interested in a thread and wish to see replies as soon as they're made. If the thread is popular, your email inbox will soon be full of constant notifications. To receive them, go to the bottom of the thread and select "Subscribe topic" on the left.

Turning off notifications and subscriptions

If you follow the above, you'll probably soon want to know how to turn the feature off. If you're sick of notifications from UKMix in your email inbox, look no further. You'll need to click on the "User Control Panel" on the top left. In the "Overview" tab, find "Manage Subscriptions" and you can select any that appear and choose to "Unwatch". This will stop you receiving emails about them.

Managing email communications from UKMix / Turning off private messages

You can turn off private message notifications by going to "User Control Panel" > "Forum Preferences" > "Edit Global Settings" and then choose "No" for "Notify me on new private messages". There's also an option to turn off your private messages here, should you wish to do so (note: UKMix "staff" will still be able to contact you).

Managing your private messages

I believe the private message box limit is 250 messages per folder, which equates to 250 in your inbox, and 250 in your sentbox. However, you can create extra folders to store old messages in. I have a limit of 5 extra folders, you'll have to check to see how many you have. Go to "User Control Panel" > "Private Messages" > "Rules, folders & settings". Here you can click "Add folder" and it will appear on the left in your private messages.

You can also create rules, which allow you to do things like block a particular user from messaging you.

:wink:

Searching for stuff

Apologies UKMix, but your search function isn't the best in the world, so I recommend using a search engine to find specific threads buried in the archives (just add "UKMix" to your search criteria). However there are a few useful things you can do. First, scroll to the very top right to find the white "Search" window and choose "Advanced Search". What happens next will depend on what you're looking for, but let's say we want to find a Britney Spears thread to keep with the example theme so far. If you choose:

Search for keywords: BRITNEY SPEARS
Choose which forums to include in your search.
Select "Topic titles only"
Select "Display results as: Topics"

Voila, all the threads we have, in all their Glory...

I hope this has been useful, hit me up if you have any questions! :wink:
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Nippian93 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:57 pm

Thank you very much for your effort and useful tips.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Airwrecka » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:00 pm

Nippian93 wrote:Thank you very much for your effort and useful tips.
No problemo. Did you find anything useful?
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby flopho » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:03 pm

Airwrecka wrote:You can also create rules, which allow you to do things like block a particular user from messaging you.

That one was particularly useful :lol:
Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Legend

Postby Carbon » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:03 pm

love the Britney promo :lol:

thanks for this, very useful, I didn't know that we can have many folders in our inbox :o I'd usually just delete old messages
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:06 pm

Airwrecka wrote:
Nippian93 wrote:Thank you very much for your effort and useful tips.
No problemo. Did you find anything useful?
Yes, especially the fact I can search like Image here, I thought the only option available was like Image here, and it is really working, a lot of people will find something useful in your post.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:25 pm

Some of this was actually news to me! :lol:
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Airwrecka » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:50 pm

Glad it's been useful. :)

Shane, would you be a love and sticky this for me please?
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby theArmy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:24 pm

flopho wrote:
Airwrecka wrote:You can also create rules, which allow you to do things like block a particular user from messaging you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: b1TCH!
LITTLE CHIX - a new pop sensation on the horizon!
theArmy
Legend

Postby Wayne » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:35 pm

Airwrecka wrote:Shane, would you be a love and sticky this for me please?
I'll do it.

I've been using rules for years - mainly for countdowns as it automatically filters countdown votes into a separate folder.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby CrazyCrazy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks Dan, some things I never knew about! :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Colbie » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:28 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:Thanks Dan, some things I never knew about! :D
+ 1 ;-)
Mic Mic Bungee
Colbie
Superstar

Postby MrRager » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:02 am

theArmy wrote:
flopho wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: b1TCH!
OMG :lol: :lol: :lol:
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby Phoenixx » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Is there a way to unsubscribe all topics? Also those where I make some posts in the future?
Phoenixx
Purpose

Return to Front Desk