By popular request, and after some discussion with the moderators, we've decided to grant a brief "amnesty" for people wishing to change their username.
The concern with allowing unfettered username changes to one and all is the confusion it can cause, for regulars in general and moderators in particular. So, I'm going to allow a batch of changes as a "one-off", which will be handled by me (and/or the other administrators).
Here's how it works:
Send me a PM with your desired new username stating:
- Your preferred choice (see guidelines below)
- (optional) Any other usernames you'd be happy with, in order of preference
- The reason why you want the change
The new username won't be accepted if:
- You have been a member of UKMIX for less than 6 months
- You are not currently active (fewer than 10 posts in the month leading up to the date of this post)
- It contains bad language or is obviously unsuitable
- It isn't a valid username: letters, numbers or the _. No spaces or other characters.
- The new username refers to any well known artist or work
The purpose of username changes is to allow someone to change their name if they perhaps didn't choose too carefully at first, and then ended up becoming a regular on UKMIX.
I reserve the right to refuse any choice, but if you follow the above guidelines I'm not going to be too picky.
What will happen
To save time, I might not reply to all PMs straight away, or will give a very terse response like 'ok' (sorry!)
If demand is high, then I'll give priority to people who have contributed the most to this site, for example people who have:
- Helped with running the site (e.g. moderators)
- Been posting regularly for a long time (more consistency than absolute post count), especially high quality information
- Mostly avoided warnings/bans
- Contributed reviews
- Given useful feedback on the redesign (positive or negative is fine)
- Donated towards the running costs
If I agree to change your username, then I'll send you a PM to let you know. Later on, I will make the change for you and you'll need to log in with the new name from then on. If you have trouble logging in, try both usernames (old and new).
Your profile page will display the old username (probably either for a year or permanently, not sure yet).
Your posts will show the old username alongside the new one for 3 months.
"What if I miss this chance?"
I'll probably do the same thing again at some point in the future, but no guarantee...