HITS: Midweek - Post Malone (~120k SPS) BTS (~96k Sales)

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby Tansike » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:29 am

Wow at Fergie. And people were saying Gwen flopped with her last album :-?
Tansike
Legend

Postby Hugo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:38 am

Wayne wrote:The number of albums selling less than 1k...
#2 will sell less than 1k.

Let's think about that for a moment :lol:
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Wayne » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:44 am

:oops:
Hugo wrote:

It's outrageous, there should be criterion built into the chart formulas that prevents this from happening.

The act at #17 is pegged to sell up to 20x more than the act at #2.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's some odd compilations in the lower reaches of the top 200 that are going to sell more than #2 on sales alone.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby jszmiles » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:21 pm

Hugo wrote:

looks funny and sad at once. Especially when you think its America, the biggest market in the world... funny to say that probably #2 in Poland will sell more than #2 in America :lol: :lol: :lol:
jszmiles
Legend

Postby Tansike » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:08 am

So tomorrow will be quite busy with Demi Lovato, Miley Cyrus and Shania Twain releasing their new albums. What are your guesses for their debuts?

I think it will look like this:

Sales Chart
#1 Shania
#2 Demi
#3 Miley

SPS Chart
#1 Demi
#2 Miley
#3 Shania
Tansike
Legend

Postby lilgnzlo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Watch out for a new increase for Stoney of Post Malone big numbers this week.

(I Fall Apart is #19 on Spotify and #19 too on Apple Music)

Can reach a new peak (his actual peak is #6)?
lilgnzlo
Roadie

Postby Wayne » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:26 pm

I think that 100k+ pure sales should be considered a success for Shania at this point, but ultimately - people will be disappointed as I think at one point many years ago, we were contemplating upwards of 800k.

I hope she gets the overall #1.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Tansike » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:35 pm

Shania has ticket bundles iirc, so this may help her a lot.
Tansike
Legend

Postby iHypeMusic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Wayne wrote::oops:
Hugo wrote:

It's outrageous, there should be criterion built into the chart formulas that prevents this from happening.

The act at #17 is pegged to sell up to 20x more than the act at #2.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's some odd compilations in the lower reaches of the top 200 that are going to sell more than #2 on sales alone.
That literally makes no sense.

#2 is selling less than 1K because his fanbase transitioned from buying to streaming. Why should there be criterion built to literally penalize artists who's fanbase consumes music differently, let alone through a more up to date form of consumption.

If streaming didn't exist and his fanbase wasn't streaming his album 60 million times, they'd likely be buying 40,000+ copies which is what the chart represents. Making rules to place him lower distorts popularity and doesn't solve anything.
Last edited by iHypeMusic on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iHypeMusic
Roadie

Postby Wayne » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:59 pm

iHypeMusic wrote:That literally makes no sense.

#2 is selling less than 1K because his fanbase transitioned from buying to streaming. Why should there be criterion built to literally penalize artists who's fanbase consumes music differently.
Because buying an album and playing a song are two very different things.

Maybe I phrased it wrong - I don't believe streaming should be discounted altogether from the charts; but the #2 album in the US should not be SELLING less than 1,000 copies. That does not reflect consumption.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby iHypeMusic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:02 pm

Wayne wrote:

#2 is selling less than 1K because his fanbase transitioned from buying to streaming. Why should there be criterion built to literally penalize artists who's fanbase consumes music differently.

Maybe I phrased it wrong - I don't believe streaming should be discounted altogether from the charts; but the #2 album in the US should not be SELLING less than 1,000 copies. That does not reflect consumption.
An album being streamed 60 million times reflects consumption.

In a week where the #2 top selling album is selling 23K, it's not unimaginable that it can go #2 with 60 million streams.
iHypeMusic
Roadie

Postby lilgnzlo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:46 pm

There are so many examples of how good represent this SPS the real consumption of albums.

Starboy of The Weeknd vs Hardwired of Metallica is an example.

What about Post Malone's Stoney???.

You can't say this amazing streamings numbers didn't represent the consumption of the album.

And we all know that are some albums that chart high because of a single successul song, but, to be fair with the SPS, even really big single-successul song can't be able to make amazings SPS numbers (Jungle Rules of French Montana or Big Baby D.R.A.M, have decent or regular numbers on SPS, and having two of the most successul singles of the SPS Era, Unforgettable and Brocoli).

Albums like "Stoney" or Luv Is Rage 2 are truly the most popular albums right now, and they are reflecting this popularity on the amount of streamings they have. I hate when people critizied the SPS.

Look out Life Of Pablo of Kanye West or Coloring Book by Chanche The Rapper, Trilogy by The Weeknd, and you will know that the billboard 200 is a truly representation of the most popular albums of each week, thanks to the SPS.
lilgnzlo
Roadie

Postby Wayne » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:50 pm

iHypeMusic wrote:An album being streamed 60 million times reflects consumption.

In a week where the #2 top selling album is selling 23K, it's not unimaginable that it can go #2 with 60 million streams.
I agree streaming reflects consumption, let's leave it there.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby JJeffs » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Wayne wrote:

A long time ago in a post somewhere online I mentioned that eventually we won't be buying records, or even mp3s. It'll be all streaming. I got shut down and read for filth over it. Laughed out of the room. Some even said streaming is a phase and we'll most likely go back to buying records. I disagreed then, and I disagree even more now.

I think we've crossed a threshold and there's no turning back now. At some point relatively soon, I think sales will represent a very small portion of *all* consumption, and there will be no denying that streaming is THE gauge of popularity, not sales. Super crazy as someone who has collected music all my life and worked in music retail, but it seems inevitable to me.

Sometimes people will say "there will be something else to take streaming's place" and I've yet to figure out what that could possibly be, because even if the device changes, it'll likely still involve streaming. A chip we embed in the side of our head with virtual reality interface, for example, the music would still "stream" from somewhere into our brain or whatever.

Anyway - to each our own, but I personally think the fight to keep sales is alive is a losing battle. And it pains me to say it.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby iHypeMusic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:44 pm

JJeffs wrote:
Wayne wrote:

A long time ago in a post somewhere online I mentioned that eventually we won't be buying records, or even mp3s. It'll be all streaming. I got shut down and read for filth over it. Laughed out of the room. Some even said streaming is a phase and we'll most likely go back to buying records. I disagreed then, and I disagree even more now.

I think we've crossed a threshold and there's no turning back now. At some point relatively soon, I think sales will represent a very small portion of *all* consumption, and there will be no denying that streaming is THE gauge of popularity, not sales. Super crazy as someone who has collected music all my life and worked in music retail, but it seems inevitable to me.

Sometimes people will say "there will be something else to take streaming's place" and I've yet to figure out what that could possibly be, because even if the device changes, it'll likely still involve streaming. A chip we embed in the side of our head with virtual reality interface, for example, the music would still "stream" from somewhere into our brain or whatever.

Anyway - to each our own, but I personally think the fight to keep sales is alive is a losing battle. And it pains me to say it.
I’m pretty sure in 5 years the #1 album in sales will sell under 10K and there will still be people trying to put emphasis on sales and use it as the main source to measure popularity. :lol: It’s ridiculous at this point.

RIAA Mid-Year shows Streaming is over 62% in revenues, and will probably near 70% by the end of this year alone.

It’s generating nearly double the revenue of sales and is used by a much much broader population in 2017 as main consumption. It’s time to stop belittling projects that succeed strongly on streaming or suggesting that Billboard should lessen its influence which would be purposely inaccurately measuring popularity in 2017.
iHypeMusic
Roadie

Postby WolfSpear » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:57 am

I'm guessing 15-20k
Sorry, 15 years is too long... And especially in this time period..

I do love Shania a lot though.
With SPS, probably not much gained either.
WolfSpear
Manager

Postby TIfan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:50 am

I wish her the best, but not sure on this one.

But you never know with them country fans. She could slay with debut week.
TIfan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:08 am

I'm expecting Shania to shift at least 100,000 in pure sales her first week. Country fans have a reputation for being loyal, though she's certainly testing the limits of that loyalty after such a long absence.
My Tribute to Janet Jackson: [30-26]

I would hope my legacy would be bringing smiles to faces. Happiness with my music.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:41 am

^ me as well. Below 100k would be a huge disappointment for me, even after such a long break.

I'm really excited for the first predictions! :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby Hugo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:42 am

My guess is less than 100k.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Debs_Wild » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:31 am

I'm predicting 130,000 copies.
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby Wayne » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:33 am

I'll be optimistic - I'll go with 149,000.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby GetBack » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:59 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I'm expecting Shania to shift at least 100,000 in pure sales her first week. Country fans have a reputation for being loyal, though she's certainly testing the limits of that loyalty after such a long absence.
I agree, they have so much respect for their favorite country artists so it's still very possible for her to open big (in terms of 2017 standards).
GetBack
Legend

Postby TIfan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:55 pm

I predicted 200k+ for first week... I'll be the risk taker :lol:
TIfan
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:57 pm

80k?
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend