HITS #1: XXXTentacion: Skins (<141k SPS; >55k sales)

Moderators: trebor, nympho, kingofskiffle

Postby Wayne » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:38 am

She has the most gimmicky first week of any act I can remember.

I have no issues with it, girl’s gotta eat so needs that milli. But let’s maintain perspective here.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby spiritboy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:27 am

At least her album releases become events.
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Shayonce » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Taylor Swift will land at #1 this week with her fourth consecutive album to debut with over 1m in first-week sales.

*Taylor Swift (Big Machine) 1.32m-1.36m SPS, 1.30m-1.34m Sales
Sam Smith (Capitol) 59-63k, 29-32k
Chris Brown (RCA) 51-54k, 9-11k
Maroon 5 (222/Interscope) 38-41k, 22-25k
Post Malone (Republic) 36-39k, 2-3k
21 Savage, Offset & Metro Boomin (Slaughter Gang/Epic) 35-38k, 1-2k
Ed Sheeran (Atlantic) 32-35k, 9-11k
Lil Uzi Vert (Generation Now/Atlantic) 29-32k, <1k
Blake Shelton (Warner Bros.) 28-31k, 24-27k
Kenny Chesney (Blue Chair/Columbia Nashville) 28-31k, 27-30k
*Evanescence (BMG) 27-30k, 24-27k
Imagine Dragons (Kidinakorner/Interscope) 26-29k, 8-9k
Now 64 (NOW) 23-26k, 23-26k
Lil Pump (Tha Lights Global/Warner Bros.) 22-25k, <1k
Khalid (Right Hand Music/RCA) 22-25k, 1-2k
Kendrick Lamar (TDE/Interscope) 22-25k, 2-3k
P!nk (RCA) 21-24k, 13-15k
Demi Lovato (Hollywood/Safehouse/Island) 18-21k, 4-5k
Gucci Mane (Atlantic) 17-20k, <1k
Future & Young Thug (Epic/300/Atlantic) 17-20k, <1k
*DEBUTS

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=309346
Last edited by Shayonce on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shayonce
Manager

Postby BlueScorpion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:22 pm

OMG look at the tragic pure sales of the BB200 I guess Taylor Swift outsold the entire 2 last charts combined :o
You ain't gotta break down,
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Debs_Wild » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Beyonce, Lady GaGa & Celine Dion are more gimmicky than Taylor. FACT.
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby MusicLover88 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Celine? :lol:
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Superstar

Postby JJeffs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:06 pm

I just see it this way... giving fans options and incentives to buy multiple copies is smart. It's all transparent and nobody is forced to buy any of it, nor is she hiding the album inside a teddy bear that you're buying, thinking you're just buying a teddy bear. The only perspective I see here is a pop star at the top of her game who has a massive fan base that will go to bat for her and want whatever she's selling.

Are there clear ways she's increasing her sales potential? Yes. Are they forced and/or trickery? No.

At the end of the day, she sold this many albums because people chose to buy that many copies.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby Wayne » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:30 pm

Debs_Wild wrote:Beyonce, Lady GaGa & Celine Dion are more gimmicky than Taylor. FACT.
Wait what? Celine? How so?! :lol:

She only needs to stick her face on the cover of an album and she sells a million copies of it outside of the US alone.

Please don’t come for the queen.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby BeeBoy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:43 pm

Debs_Wild wrote:Beyonce, Lady GaGa & Celine Dion are more gimmicky than Taylor. FACT.
The only gimmick i can see here is the 99 cent deal and that was once.
BeeBoy
Manager

Postby BlueScorpion » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Honestly at the end of the day anything can be disputed as "gimmick" - isn't performing on live TV a "gimmick"? featuring a hot current artist? making a remix? re-release an album with additional material? even touring to benefit album sales? As Jjeffs said everyone is buying the album at their own will and not having it forced down their throats.
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby JJeffs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:11 pm

Incentives are part of promotion and marketing. Not everyone can use these particular incentives, let alone have them be nearly as successful, as the girl at the top of the game at the moment can. That's Taylor these days, and she's using it to her advantage, and continues to top herself. At full price, even.

"Gimmicks" are something that have shaped many top pop stars' careers to varying degrees. Many #1 singles by some artists were more about gimmicks and strategy (discounts, timing, etc) than they are about actual popularity. But even then, they sold enough and got enough radio combined to take the crown, so... it is what it is. We can't cherry pick one artist over another, because anyone who has ever been "on top" has done things to maximize their numbers/chart positions. It's called business.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby Wayne » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:13 pm

For the record, I have absolutely no issue with so-called gimmicks. :lol:

I just resent the insinuation that Taylor doesn’t use them.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby BeeBoy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:23 pm

BlueScorpion wrote:Honestly at the end of the day anything can be disputed as "gimmick" - isn't performing on live TV a "gimmick"? featuring a hot current artist? making a remix? re-release an album with additional material? even touring to benefit album sales? As Jjeffs said everyone is buying the album at their own will and not having it forced down their throats.
I definetly agree with your points. I think there is no problem with being creative and innovative and that it can be rewarded with larger sales. I just don't think that free albums that come with your concert tickets should be counted as they are rather reflecting the touring popularity than people willing to buy the album. Why not sell CD's at your concert and count those sales instead would make more sense in my opinion. That's why i also think that a revenue based chart is a good way to reflect popularity since it depends if your album was sold for 4$ apiece or 20, Free copies would not be counted and streaming would be more balanced compared to actual sales. But at the end of the day I couldn't care less :lol:
BeeBoy
Manager

Postby Shayonce » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:06 am

is this joke? lol

anyway there's nothing gimmick about taylor's promotion.
gimmick is for cheap discounted album or ticket bundle.
Shayonce
Manager

Postby Shayonce » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:11 am

BeeBoy wrote:I definetly agree with your points. I think there is no problem with being creative and innovative and that it can be rewarded with larger sales. I just don't think that free albums that come with your concert tickets should be counted as they are rather reflecting the touring popularity than people willing to buy the album. Why not sell CD's at your concert and count those sales instead would make more sense in my opinion. That's why i also think that a revenue based chart is a good way to reflect popularity since it depends if your album was sold for 4$ apiece or 20, Free copies would not be counted and streaming would be more balanced compared to actual sales. But at the end of the day I couldn't care less :lol:
streaming won't be affected much with revenue chart because current ratio is simply based on revenue, like 1,500 streams same revenue as 1 album sales.
and ticket bundle is not free too. album price is included on ticket price, now transparency of that is different thing.. lol
Shayonce
Manager

Postby BlueScorpion » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:35 pm

Taylor Swift Slashes ‘Reputation’ Magazine Cost After A Million Fans Already Bought It At Full-Price

Taylor Swift does business like no other pop star.
This is a snake move, but extremely business savvy. To ensure she gets the highest first-week sales possible, Taylor has announced a Target promotion via Facebook. The singer reduced the price of the Target-exclusive Reputation magazines to $13 (from $20) for today only – it's the last day to tally first-week sales.

That's a seriously brilliant move to help inflate her sales figures, but also problematic. Most of the die-hard fans already bought one or both magazines at full-price.

What does this mean? Taylor wants to make 100% sure she outperforms 1989's first-week sales of 1.29 million. According to industry estimates, she will. It appears Swift and her label, Big Machine Records, aren't playing the what if game.
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:59 pm

She's not gimmicky though.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby TIfan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:02 pm

Beyonce is one of the greatest live performers of all time. Gimmick or not, she earns every penny, every sold copy, and every award.
The most interesting, and anticipated performer of her generation.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Debs_Wild » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:18 pm

Wayne wrote:She's not gimmicky though.
Why are you so bitter & jealous though?
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby JJeffs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:34 pm

She's doing something for one day that others do for entire weeks on end to increase sales. As for the timing, well, discounts are mostly done for one of two reasons - to try and break an artist/song/album, or to try and break a record (or at least get a higher chart peak). This is a "gimmick" as old as the industry.

Again, it's a business. The goal is to achieve the most sales. Call it what you want. Pun intended.

PS - people are still essentially paying full price for the album with this discount. We're not talking about a deep discount that basically gives it away for free.
Last edited by JJeffs on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby Wayne » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:35 pm

I call it business tactics - as you say, no different to anyone else, no issues with it.

Gimmicky business tactics.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby JJeffs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:37 pm

Wayne wrote:I call it business tactics - as you say, no different to anyone else, no issues with it.

Triggering posting tactics.
Fixed. :lol:
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby Mikerocha » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:50 pm

Wayne wrote:For the record, I have absolutely no issue with so-called gimmicks. :lol:

I just resent the insinuation that Taylor doesn’t use them.
That and plus: her label was expecting 2m first week in the USA. So they aim their gimmicks to try to achieve that number
“B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!”

“I’m staying right here.”
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby JJeffs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:07 pm

In my opinion - based on my interpretation of the definition - the magazines themselves are the "gimmick". I just personally wouldn't refer to a standard discount as a "gimmick." Common business practice and sales tactic, yes. Gimmick, no.

A super deep discount, like, say, 99 cents for an album during release week... that to me becomes gimmicky because it's almost giving something away, relative to its standard price. But it's still open to our own interpretation, and I'm just using an extreme sales example here. What Gaga did was within the rules at the time, so why not? I don't fault her for taking an opportunity and seizing the moment, despite the inevitable asterisk in history books because she/they prompted a pricing rule change.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby beredy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:03 pm

TIfan wrote:Beyonce is one of the greatest live performers of all time. Gimmick or not, she earns every penny, every sold copy, and every award.
The most interesting, and anticipated performer of her generation.
Having Tidal report fake numbers is one of the biggest gimmicks you can pull.
beredy
Manager

Return to Chart Analysis