HITS #1 - Carrie Underwood (<260k SPS; >246k sales)

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby BeeBoy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:17 pm

beredy wrote:
TIfan wrote:Beyonce is one of the greatest live performers of all time. Gimmick or not, she earns every penny, every sold copy, and every award.
The most interesting, and anticipated performer of her generation.
Having Tidal report fake numbers is one of the biggest gimmicks you can pull.
Do you really think the numbers are fake with people being able to stream it with free trials? I don't get how that would be a gimmick anyway when they are reported after the first week is over. And even if you still believe they are reporting fake numbers and billboard still uses them, she sold over 550k on download album sales and track equivalents in 4 days alone so it doesn't matter if you discredit the streams. No special editions no bundles.
BeeBoy
Manager

Postby spiritboy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:24 pm

Other pop girls should try to market their albums the way Taylor does and if they manage to sell as much, then i'll say well done. The girl has a strong fanbase, though one do wonder what would've happened if she endorsed Hilary during elections? Would she have ended up like Katy?
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Biebz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:30 pm

spiritboy wrote:Other pop girls should try to market their albums the way Taylor does and if they manage to sell as much, then i'll say well done. The girl has a strong fanbase, though one do wonder what would've happened if she endorsed Hilary during elections? Would she have ended up like Katy?
A disastrous flop for Taylor would still probably be higher than Katy has ever sold first week so I can't imagine she'd end up like Witness era Katy :lol:
Oh god miss u on my lips, It’s me ur little Venice bitchhhh
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby BeeBoy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Biebz wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Other pop girls should try to market their albums the way Taylor does and if they manage to sell as much, then i'll say well done. The girl has a strong fanbase, though one do wonder what would've happened if she endorsed Hilary during elections? Would she have ended up like Katy?
A disastrous flop for Taylor would still probably be higher than Katy has ever sold first week so I can't imagine she'd end up like Witness era Katy :lol:
Yeah I think so too. It's not like everyone who endorsed her is flopping and there are enough people left who voted for her (more than trump supporters) and could've supported her. It's just the image and singles this era. She can still come back next time
BeeBoy
Manager

Postby Hugo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 pm

spiritboy wrote:Other pop girls should try to market their albums the way Taylor does and if they manage to sell as much, then i'll say well done. The girl has a strong fanbase
What does this mean at the end of the day? There's absolutely no artistry in any of her moves and tactics, the music is clearly secondary or infinitely lower in priority. Nothing but headlines, let a month pass and she'll be in no one's mind and hopefully people will have at least a year to breathe, relieved, before another hiss.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Biebz » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:47 pm

Hugo wrote:let a month pass and she'll be in no one's mind and hopefully people will have at least a year to breathe, relieved, before another hiss.
Another hiss :lol: :lol:
Oh god miss u on my lips, It’s me ur little Venice bitchhhh
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby BlankSpace » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:47 pm

Hugo wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Other pop girls should try to market their albums the way Taylor does and if they manage to sell as much, then i'll say well done. The girl has a strong fanbase
What does this mean at the end of the day? There's absolutely no artistry in any of her moves and tactics, the music is clearly secondary or infinitely lower in priority. Nothing but headlines, let a month pass and she'll be in no one's mind and hopefully people will have at least a year to breathe in relief before another hiss.
i don't know about at the end of the day
but at the end of the week Reputation is gonna sell as much as Lemonade sold in a year and half.
you can keep your BeyOVERRATEDyonce impact to yourself
BlankSpace
Manager

Postby heppolo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:53 pm

Adele still sells more.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby TIfan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:31 pm

beredy wrote:
TIfan wrote:Beyonce is one of the greatest live performers of all time. Gimmick or not, she earns every penny, every sold copy, and every award.
Selling more digital singles than any other female in 2016, and having the best selling album released in 2016 has nothing to do with streams. You haters will mention Tidal, as if she sold nothing in pure sales. Whether the tidal numbers are fake, the 1.8 million in US, and 3 million+/- worldwide are not.....

How about Taylor selling albums through Pizza deliveries? If you ordered pizza, you got a Taylor Swift album? WTF is that. No one called her out for it because its Taylor. What if I just wanted pizza? I would be upset if they gave me a Taylor Swift album, when all I wanted was a large meat-lovers pizza. Or how about releasing albums in the 4th quarter every time? She wants those Christmas sales, which I understand. She is in a industry, but that is a true gimmick.
TIfan
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:43 pm

JJeffs wrote:She's doing something for one day that others do for entire weeks on end to increase sales. As for the timing, well, discounts are mostly done for one of two reasons - to try and break an artist/song/album, or to try and break a record (or at least get a higher chart peak). This is a "gimmick" as old as the industry.

Again, it's a business. The goal is to achieve the most sales. Call it what you want. Pun intended.

PS - people are still essentially paying full price for the album with this discount. We're not talking about a deep discount that basically gives it away for free.
This. You've made some very valid points throughout. She's pulling huge numbers and hasn't even liberated the album for streaming, so imagine how bigger her figures would be. Or if they added a ticket bundle (she has a Stadium Tour coming up). Taylor has a very big and bold fansbase in the US. So many people butt hurt over her success yet they'll have to deal with the fact she's outsold their faves in only 2 days by MILES. :lol:
Hot like the real fever (the real Diva)
So successful yet still so eager
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby revel8 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:10 am

TIfan wrote:
beredy wrote:
Selling more digital singles than any other female in 2016, and having the best selling album released in 2016 has nothing to do with streams. You haters will mention Tidal, as if she sold nothing in pure sales. Whether the tidal numbers are fake, the 1.8 million in US, and 3 million+/- worldwide are not.....

How about Taylor selling albums through Pizza deliveries? If you ordered pizza, you got a Taylor Swift album? WTF is that. No one called her out for it because its Taylor. What if I just wanted pizza? I would be upset if they gave me a Taylor Swift album, when all I wanted was a large meat-lovers pizza. Or how about releasing albums in the 4th quarter every time? She wants those Christmas sales, which I understand. She is in a industry, but that is a true gimmick.
The Pizza thing was just a partnership with a Pizza company. If you ordered a Pizza with that company, you had the option to buy the Taylor Swift album, Red, as well. The album did not come with every pizza order, the album was like an option on the menu, you could order it of you wanted. It is called smart marketing. Essentially that pizza company just operated as another vendor during this period of promotion.

What is wrong with releasing albums in Q4 in every year? Everyone knows that is peak period of album sales. Similarly releasing in the summer, or late January means it is easier to get a no 1 album as sales are lower.

Next you'll be complaining when athletes or singer use their fame to sell clothing.
'Heartbreak is a National Anthem, We sing it proudly.'
revel8
Manager

Postby TIfan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:23 am

revel8 wrote:
TIfan wrote:
beredy wrote:

The Pizza thing was just a partnership with a Pizza company. If you ordered a Pizza with that company, you had the option to buy the Taylor Swift album, Red, as well. The album did not come with every pizza order, the album was like an option on the menu, you could order it of you wanted. It is called smart marketing. Essentially that pizza company just operated as another vendor during this period of promotion.

What is wrong with releasing albums in Q4 in every year? Everyone knows that is peak period of album sales. Similarly releasing in the summer, or late January means it is easier to get a no 1 album as sales are lower.

Next you'll be complaining when athletes or singer use their fame to sell clothing.
I have no problem with Taylor or her sells. When you guys came for the legendary Bey then it was time for me to clock in, and begin working. I actually complemented her for her work like I always do.
But calling Beyonce a gimmick to uplift Taylor will cause for a reading session. Gimmcks dont last 20 years, and gimmicks dont outperform her entire generation while receiving praise from legends like...

Mariah
Diana
Tina Turner
Madonna
Bono
Paul McCartney
Janet
Whitney
Aretha
Patti Labelle
Toni Braxton
Tony Bennet
Cher
Stevie Wonder
Lionel Ritchie
Gladys Knight
Babyface
Smokey Robinson
Michael Jackson

etc....... Taylor is bringing in numbers, so I have to show respect, but don't come for someone that has EARNED her legendary status!!!
Also how can anyone call Celine a gimmick. I am not trying to hype up, or ass kiss anyone in this thread, but Celine simply sung her heart out, and she sold and made millions. Where is the gimmick?
TIfan
Legend

Postby revel8 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:45 am

TIfan wrote:Selling more digital singles than any other female in 2016, and having the best selling album released in 2016 has nothing to do with streams. You haters will mention Tidal, as if she sold nothing in pure sales. Whether the tidal numbers are fake, the 1.8 million in US, and 3 million+/- worldwide are not.....

Next you'll be complaining when athletes or singer use their fame to sell clothing.[/quote]
I have no problem with Taylor or her sells. When you guys came for the legendary Bey then it was time for me to clock in, and begin working. I actually complemented her for her work like I always do.
But calling Beyonce a gimmick to uplift Taylor will cause for a reading session. Gimmcks dont last 20 years, and gimmicks dont outperform her entire generation while receiving praise from legends like...

Mariah
Diana
Tina Turner
Madonna
Bono
Paul McCartney
Janet
Whitney
Aretha
Patti Labelle
Toni Braxton
Tony Bennet
Cher
Stevie Wonder
Lionel Ritchie
Gladys Knight
Babyface
Smokey Robinson
Michael Jackson

etc....... Taylor is bringing in numbers, so I have to show respect, but don't come for someone that has EARNED her legendary status!!!
Also how can anyone call Celine a gimmick. I am not trying to hype up, or ass kiss anyone in this thread, but Celine simply sung her heart out, and she sold and made millions. Where is the gimmick?[/quote]

I make no mention of Beyonce or Celine. I was simply explaining the Pizza deal. It was just that company acting as an additional vendor during the promotional period. Fans had the extra option to buy their album when ordering a pizza and getting them both delivered together. The album was not included with every order from that pizza company. It was just offered as an option on the menu. If you just ordered the meat-lovers pizza, then you would get that as normal. The album would not be included as an unordered extra.
'Heartbreak is a National Anthem, We sing it proudly.'
revel8
Manager

Postby scootermcgee27 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:27 am

This argument is silly. You can't sell over a million copies of an album in a week with gimmicks alone. Only a large hungry fanbase can produce such results. Say what you want about Taylor but her core fans (and there are clearly over a million of them!) are in love with her as a musician and a celebrity, so kudos to her.
scootermcgee27
Roadie

Postby Hugo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:02 pm

I didnt know she sold albums with pizzas :lol: :lol: ffs

Junk food, trash music, seems logical.

She'll never have my respect, even of she sells a billion copies (and what does that have to do with anything), because she's mediocre.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby BlankSpace » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:09 pm

Hugo wrote:I didnt know she sold albums with pizzas :lol: :lol: ffs

Junk food, trash music, seems logical.

She'll never have my respect, even of she sells a billion copies (and what does that have to do with anything), because she's mediocre.
plz don't do this to her
she'll never be the same without your respect
we all beg you from her behalf
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BlankSpace
Manager

Postby Hugo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Titan said she's due his/her respect because she sold a lot of albums, I was merely pointing out she won't have mine because that's not what I value. But you decide to look foolish yet again.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby WesM » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:14 pm

Being a Beyonce fan probably means you have no respect for artists who compose and write their own songs either. Taylor may be no singer, but at least what she sings is self composed and thematically self selected.

Big Beyonce fan, but would feel swift is very much in the drivers seat when it comes to her music. Beyonce.... Not so much...
WesM
Groupie

Postby BlankSpace » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Hugo wrote:Titan said she's due his/her respect because she sold a lot of albums, I was merely pointing out she won't have mine because that's not what I value. But you decide to look foolish yet again.
Beyonce doesn't have my respect anymore (Thanks to you)
but does it bother her nah
same with tay tay
BlankSpace
Manager

Postby BlankSpace » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:18 pm

WesM wrote:Being a Beyonce fan probably means you have no respect for artists who compose and write their own songs either. Taylor may be no singer, but at least what she sings is self composed and thematically self selected.

Big Beyonce fan, but would feel swift is very much in the drivers seat when it comes to her music. Beyonce.... Not so much...
probably
BlankSpace
Manager

Postby BlankSpace » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:19 pm

What's wrong with HITS' SPS nd SALES chart??
they're still stuck in the last week
BlankSpace
Manager

Postby Hugo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:20 pm

WesM wrote:Being a Beyonce fan probably means you have no respect for artists who compose and write their own songs either. Taylor may be no singer, but at least what she sings is self composed and thematically self selected.

What's the point of writing your own stuff if all of it is not very good :lol: that has always been a flawed statement a lot of fans use.

It's true Beyoncé collaborates, even the best conductor needs a great orchestra to deliver a masterful Mozart opera.

Here's some reading for you to do:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/does-beyo ... lly-matter
https://www.google.pt/amp/s/splinternew ... 856448/amp
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby BlankSpace » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:24 pm

^^^Will you stop
this isn't the right place
go back to your Beyonce thread plz
BlankSpace
Manager

Postby BlueScorpion » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:19 pm

He's just a pressed bitter person that comes over every week to this thread to post flop predictions and drag whoever artist is on top - I've seen this happen with P!nk, Shania, Taylor, Mariah Carey, etc. He uses this as his playground (flaunting Beyonce's agenda and posting nothing really chart worthing) trying to wind people and cause stir.
Hot like the real fever (the real Diva)
So successful yet still so eager
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Groan.
Wayne
Administrator

Return to Chart Analysis