HITS: #1 - Drake: Scorpion (>266k SPS; >25k sales)

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby iHypeMusic » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:04 pm

NothingFails wrote:
iHypeMusic wrote:
Ewokguy15 wrote:
iHypeMusic wrote:-
-
-
Spoiler:
Umm... I say the Cardi B thing because one of my best friends LOVES her. He has a fondness for trashy female artists going back to the 80s (LaToya Jackson, Vanity, Khia, Lil Kim, etc...) and he actually tried to sell me on Cardi and showing me clips of her videos trying to get me to see what he enjoys. Whereas I've never heard him speak once about Drake.

I also know people again who praise the likes of RTJ, Kendrick, Gambino, Schoolboy Q, Tyler The Creator amongst others, as well as more vet rappers like Kanye and Jay-Z.... but I don't know a single Drake fan, and I have many friends who live and breathe hip hop music. He's seen as a bubblegum pop star and lightweight.

I'd liken it to Garth Brooks in the 90s... he owned that decade like no other in the US, yet I didn't know a single fan of his. I have plenty of people on my FB feed talking about the new Gorillaz and Florence albums, but the only mention I've seen of Drake was a friend who is a MJ stan who was interested in the usage of his vocals on one track, and even then he prefaced with "I don't normally listen to Drake...."
OK, so your circle of friends doesn't like him? This is all you've been able to point out.

I don't know a single person in my circle nor heard anyone say they are a fan of Coldplay. The difference is I'm not going to become ignorant and knock their success and claim they are popular, 'but nobody actually loves them' because of my narrow singular experiences.

There's many popular artists anyone can say they've never heard a friend or aquantiance admit to liking, that's just because people consume different genres, different tastes, etc. Common sense.

And the Garth Brooks comparison literally makes no sense. Drake gets insane mainstream radio airplay, and is a huge crossover act. Garth's dominance was unique because it was limited to the boundaries of his genre, he never crossed over to becoming a big mainstream name outside Country radio with his music. Drake has 10-week #1 singles that dominated 4+ radio formats. Please just stop.

What you're meaning to say is -- your group of friends are moreso not likely to use his music and prefer traditional Hip-Hop. Similar to how in the 2000s Hip-Hop fans gave Nelly/50 Cent/Ja Rule/etc flack compared to the traditional 90s rappers before them. However just like them, Drake definitely has a huge fanbase that's obsessed with him and follows him frequently. Just because they aren't likely to be people you specifically would be friends with, doesn't mean they're not there.
iHypeMusic
Roadie

Postby KokoCollino » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:24 pm

I don’t get all of this when there obviously is a huge demand in his new album.
Looks like I found my way home
KokoCollino
Superstar

Postby thebigham » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:08 pm

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=312451

Drake (YMCMB/Republic) 740k total activity, 150-160k album
thebigham
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Actually the majority of rappers I dropped, sans the two I specifically referred to as vets, are newer to the scene than Drake. You act as if I'm talking about people who are stuck on NWA and Run DMC, when acts like Kendrick, Run the Jewels, Chance The Rapper, Childish : Gambino and Schoolboy Q are very much of the present as well. And definitely much more critically acclaimed and "hip" than Drake is. In twenty years from now, Drake will look like Puff Daddy while some of the others will look like Tupac.

Like I said, I don't personally know a single person who likes Drake, and I wasn't lying. He may be huge but he's not on the radar of anyone I care to associate with.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby iHypeMusic » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:24 pm

NothingFails wrote:Actually the majority of rappers I dropped, sans the two I specifically referred to as vets, are newer to the scene than Drake. You act as if I'm talking about people who are stuck on NWA and Run DMC, when acts like Kendrick, Run the Jewels, Chance The Rapper, Childish : Gambino and Schoolboy Q are very much of the present as well. And definitely much more critically acclaimed and "hip" than Drake is.

Like I said, I don't personally know a single person who likes Drake, and I wasn't lying. He may be huge but he's not on the radar of anyone I care to associate with.
And all of those rappers have a more traditional or acclaimed indie sound with their Hip-Hop. Kendrick is very reminiscent of old-school, while the others have very acclaimed music that would appeal to those against current radio Hip-Hop. Compared to Drake who touches different genres, makes radio hits, and even sings many times. You didn't list Travis Scott, Young Thug, or Quavo/Migos -- some of the most popular newer rappers with countless hits who have more current and new-school sounds with their music.

You listed rappers of today that have the most traditional sound or a very acclaimed indie sound that someone who doesn't like popular mainstream radio new-school Rap would be most fond of.

The situation was your circle not preferring the music he makes, not his music not having 'real fans',
iHypeMusic
Roadie

Postby thebigham » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:01 am

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=312491

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

TOP 20: SCORP-KEEPING

You will not be shocked to read that Drake's Scorpion will be #1 on our Top 50 chart this week, landing with the year's biggest debut and shattering streaming records in the process.

1. *Drake (YMCMB/Republic) 725-750k Total, 150-160k Albums
2. *Florence + The Machine (Republic) 70-80k, 59-64k
3. Post Malone (Republic) 68-73k, 7-8k
4. XXXTentacion (Bad Vibes Forever) 59-64k, 3-4k
5. *Gorillaz (Parlophone) 55-60k, 45-50k
6. The Carters (Roc Nation/Parkwood/Columbia) 42-46k, 10-12k
7. Juice WRLD (Grade A/Interscope) 41-45k, 1-2k
8. Cardi B (Atlantic) 40-44k, 2-3k
9. Panic! At The Disco (Crush/Fueled by Ramen) 32-35k, 20-23k
10. The Greatest Showman (Atlantic) 29-32k, 17-19k

11. Guns N’ Roses (Geffen) 29-32k, 24-27k
12. XXXtentacion (Bad Vibes Forever/Empire) 27-30k, 1-2k
13. Lil Baby (QC/Motown/Capitol) 26-29k, <1k
14. Luke Combs (River House/Columbia Nashville) 23-26k, 6-7k
15. Post Malone (Republic) 20-23k, 1-2k
16. Kanye West (G.O.O.D/Def Jam) 20-23k, 2-3k
17. Maroon 5 (222/Interscope) 20-23k, 1-2k
18. Imagine Dragons (Kidinakorner/Interscope) 19-22k, 6-7k
19. Ed Sheeran (Atlantic) 18-21k, 16-18k
20. *Bullet For My Valentine (Spinefarm) 18-21k, 16-18k

*DEBUTS
thebigham
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:04 am

Predictions have dropped by almost 200k? for total SPS?
edit - read through the previous pages.

Interesting....
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:10 pm

iHypeMusic wrote:
NothingFails wrote:Actually the majority of rappers I dropped, sans the two I specifically referred to as vets, are newer to the scene than Drake. You act as if I'm talking about people who are stuck on NWA and Run DMC, when acts like Kendrick, Run the Jewels, Chance The Rapper, Childish : Gambino and Schoolboy Q are very much of the present as well. And definitely much more critically acclaimed and "hip" than Drake is.

And all of those rappers have a more traditional or acclaimed indie sound with their Hip-Hop. Kendrick is very reminiscent of old-school, while the others have very acclaimed music that would appeal to those against current radio Hip-Hop. Compared to Drake who touches different genres, makes radio hits, and even sings many times. You didn't list Travis Scott, Young Thug, or Quavo/Migos -- some of the most popular newer rappers with countless hits who have more current and new-school sounds with their music.

You listed rappers of today that have the most traditional sound or a very acclaimed indie sound that someone who doesn't like popular mainstream radio new-school Rap would be most fond of.

The situation was your circle not preferring the music he makes, not his music not having 'real fans',
Out of curiosity, why does it trigger you so much that I can't say I can recite a non-featured Drake song (yes, I know his work with Rihanna, Kendrick, Mary J, and a few others, but nothing that's strictly credited to Drake) or know anyone who listens to him even despite having friends who still follow hip hop and stay on the pulse of what's current in music... when I'm not the only one who said the same thing. Goldmoney said the exact same thing, he's ten years younger than me, he's black and yet he also said he doesn't know a single person who listens to Drake's music either, but yet you just single me out and then try to act like Kendrick Lamar or Chance The Rapper is some "old fart vet act whose been around since 1992" when they cracked the scene well after Drake happened nearly a decade ago.

I don't follow bubblegum pop and neither do the majority of my friends (the one guy who loves Cardi B owns that she's trash, but loves her regardless) and Drake seems to be more popular with the tween demographic than he is with people with more discernible and discriminatory tastes. You likened knowing nobody who likes Coldplay... I think that analogy fits because while I know people who liked their old music (say 2000-2008), I can't say I or anyone I know bops to "A Head Full Of Dreams" even though the album had some hit singles.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby iHypeMusic » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:21 pm

NothingFails wrote:
iHypeMusic wrote:

Out of curiosity, why does it trigger you so much that I can't say I can recite a non-featured Drake song (yes, I know his work with Rihanna, Kendrick, Mary J, and a few others, but nothing that's strictly credited to Drake) or know anyone who listens to him even despite having friends who still follow hip hop and stay on the pulse of what's current in music... when I'm not the only one who said the same thing. Goldmoney said the exact same thing, he's ten years younger than me, he's black and yet he also said he doesn't know a single person who listens to Drake's music either, but yet you just single me out and then try to act like Kendrick Lamar or Chance The Rapper is some "old fart vet act whose been around since 1992" when they cracked the scene well after Drake happened nearly a decade ago.

I don't follow bubblegum pop and neither do the majority of my friends (the one guy who loves Cardi B owns that she's trash, but loves her regardless) and Drake seems to be more popular with the tween demographic than he is with people with more discernible and discriminatory tastes. You likened knowing nobody who likes Coldplay... I think that analogy fits because while I know people who liked their old music (say 2000-2008), I can't say I or anyone I know bops to "A Head Full Of Dreams" even though the album had some hit singles.
You really don't understand. Did not care you and your friends aren't fans... I called you out for pushing you and your friends as a general public consensus. You were the one that said 'nobody actually likes him'.

And ok... you don't listen to Drake's style of music. Do you want a pat on the back? It doesn't make you look different or unique because you hate on the most popular music currently.

Coldplay did a $530 million tour for that album, the third biggest tour in history, so clearly they still have a huge following. Your circle of friends isn't really accurate with the public at all.
iHypeMusic
Roadie

Postby trebor » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:38 pm

^^

The conversation has got stuck with no real finding in sight.
Please move on and agree to disagree; or pursue the discussion in the artist's topic.
trebor
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:45 pm

trebor wrote:^^

Please move on and agree to disagree; or pursue the discussion in the artist's topic.
I just find it so amusing how badly it triggers him that I don't know a single Drake fan and that I get singled out even though Goldmoney said the exact same thing on the previous page, even though he's actually younger than me so would be part of the generation more expected to follow Drake and his music. I admit being white and over 30 is a disadvantage to "not being part of Drake's demo" but yet myself and a whole lot of other people I know lap up everything Kendrick Lamar or Donald Glover puts out (and given Kendrick and Childish Gambino have had recent #1 singles and do very well on streams, its not like they're some sort of obscure cult act). Difference is that those artists are actually making art as opposed to flavor of the month top 40 fluff. No different than how I love St. Vincent and Janelle Monae but couldn't be bothered to check Camilla Cabello out even though Camilla has 20x the streams and sales. They make the stuff I seek out, Camilla doesn't.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby iHypeMusic » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:16 pm

NothingFails wrote:

how badly it triggers him
You’re still the one explaining yourself. :lol:
iHypeMusic
Roadie

Postby lilgnzlo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:28 pm

This is funny.

Drake is the most popular artist in the USA by 2016 to this day.

That reflects his amazing streaming numbers. And he isn't new in the industry, he has become famous since the So Far Gone days.....

We all know that he has massive commercial appeal than others rapers, but he has many many many #1 on Urban format, and collaborations with the ones like Kendrick or J. Cole.

His fanbase, (who is basicly, people who loves Lil Wayne on the 2008-2011, plus more people that loves the R&B and pop side of Drake, who join later to his music with singles like Hold On We're Going Home, Hotline Bling and One Dance), has growth with any album and mixtape that he drops.

If You Reading This It's Too Late and More Life, have amazing numbers without any promo.

And Take Care is the best selling catalog album in terms of SPS, since the SPS era stars 3 and half years ago.

Drake is big, and he wasn't in his peak (His peak has just passed with the Views era).

He is the Eminem of this decade, for sure. If you don't recognize that, i believe you're not an objetive person. These are facts.
lilgnzlo
Roadie

Postby trebor » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:35 pm

^^

Definitely STOP now!

Please continue the conversation in the "Scorpion" topic or Drake's general artist thread.
trebor
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:48 pm

Well, he sampled Her name is Mariah so he can’t be that bad. :lol:
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:01 pm

Definitely STOP now!

Please continue the conversation in the "Scorpion" topic or Drake's general artist thread.
Well, I've spoken my truth and piece. I said I was shocked at Drake's success given I know not a single person who listens to his music... I was countered with being delusional (even though IHypeMusic only singled me out when I wasn't the only one who says he doesn't know any Drake fans personally) and then I explained that I literally seriously don't even if I know someone who even likes Cardi B... and then I proceed to be attacked because I don't know anyone who likes an artist whose median fan is still in junior high. I'm fine moving on but if he's going to keep attacking me, keep being triggered by my truth while ignoring others who also don't know any fans of his, I'll keep defending myself.

And the behaviour doesn't make me any more interested in wanting to give Drake's music a chance if this is what his stanbase is like.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:13 pm

Stop with the off topic. You're so biased.
Your little bubble means nothing.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby BlankSpace » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:50 am

Sorry if it's not chart related
But his users ratings are so bad
I mean Taylor is way more hated than him but her user ratings are like 7+

BlankSpace
Manager

Postby Goldmoney » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:55 am

It’ll catch up with him in a few more years
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby trebor » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:24 am

John:
You can PM any moderator or me if you wish to speak out about the matter at hand.
Please understand that the conversation did take a spin off of its own and it's no longer of interest to the viewers of this thread.
I cannot and will not take sides in this sort of dead-end debates.

//

Any other post or comment to the above by any user will warrant a warning!
trebor
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:34 am

VERY disappointing numbers for the streaming and marketing campaign he's had. :o

Thought a 400k figure (pure sales) was on lock for him.
"Side effects be drowsiness / Loneliness / How is this? / I think they call it hateration / What can you prescribe for this?"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Marchum » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:39 am

He is killing the game. All this hate is just another proof that he’s the king nowadays.

Haters keep talking, he’s too busy w making money.
Marchum
Groupie

Postby thebigham » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:07 am

BlueScorpion wrote:VERY disappointing numbers for the streaming and marketing campaign he's had. :o

Thought a 400k figure (pure sales) was on lock for him.
There is no cd release. Just digital albums which sales are falling for.
thebigham
Legend

Postby BlankSpace » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Drake's 'Scorpion' garnered a record ~770m US audio streams in its first full week (previous record was 431m).

Source : @chartdata

That's 513k album units
BlankSpace
Manager

Postby thebigham » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:28 am

SPS

http://hitsdailydouble.com/sales_plus_streaming

LW TW ARTIST | TITLE |
LABEL
TOTAL CHANGE ALBUMS TEA SEA

-- 1 DRAKE | SCORPION
YMCMB/REPUBLIC