Billboard Magazine PDF Archives

Moderator: kingofskiffle

Postby AntLop » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:30 pm

The collection from 1942 to 2009 in PDF.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Bil ... gazine.htm
AntLop
Roadie

Postby LostAvenger » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:11 pm

Wow, more issues have been added since the initial discovery! :o
LostAvenger
Legend

Postby WolfSpear » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:25 pm

Before I randomly click on the enticing link, what am I looking at?

Is this seriously all the issues, page to page, ad to ad?
WolfSpear
Manager

Postby thebigham » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:04 pm

^Yes!

I clicked on an issue from 1985. 180 pages on the pdf file.
thebigham
Legend

Postby Woz1234 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:02 am

I wish they did Music Week in PDF from the 1960s-1990s.

Good find on the Billboard Mags Antlop, Cheers.
Last edited by Woz1234 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Woz1234
Personal Assistant

Postby SimoneMJJ » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:06 am

AntLop, I think that you deserve a statue for this topic :D
SimoneMJJ
Manager

Postby SimoneMJJ » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:41 am

There are some missing pages. An example is the number dated 1991-06-08, where there aren't the pages 77-78-79 (the Hot 100 is on page 78).
SimoneMJJ
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:28 am

wow, thisi s a treasure trove, saving as many of these as I can before BB pulls it
NothingFails
Legend

Postby trebor » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:44 am

Was discussing this page with Brain a couple of weeks ago; thought this was a known archive.
Be aware that all issues with pull-out charts will most likely be missing the chart data in the magazine itself.
trebor
Legend

Postby Robbie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:40 pm

a MASSIVE big thanks to AntLop!

As NothingFails says, it's a treasure trove. There's that many issues that have been made available as a PDF that it'll take ages to download them all. I better get started downloading them now!
Robbie
Manager

Postby AntLop » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:29 pm

All credits to David Gleason, issues are available thanks to a donation by chart historian Monty Greenly

Missing Hot 100 Charts pages from regular issues may be found in the chart compilations readable by clicking on any Year Header... those are DVD-rom: Hot 100 Charts from Joel Whitburn´s record research.

example; click on 1960:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Arc ... BB1960.pdf
Last edited by AntLop on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AntLop
Roadie

Postby SimoneMJJ » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:37 pm

AntLop wrote:All credits to David Gleason, issues are available thanks to a donation by chart historian Monty Greenly

Missing pages from regular issues may be found in the chart compilations readable by clicking on any Year Header... those are DVD-rom: Hot 100 Charts from Joel Whitburn´s record research.

exemple; click on 1960:

Yes, i read during this afternoon. It's incredible, this is a real treasure.
SimoneMJJ
Manager

Postby radiodavid » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:51 pm

Hi! I am David Gleason, and I am the purveyor of http://www.americanradiohistory.com and want to thank those that have posted about the Billboard collection.

Yes, there are some missing pages in the editions from 1980 to 2009. Those are the charts, which were removed by the collector who gave me those 1,500 magazines. I have them in separate files, and most are available (or soon will be) by clicking on the YEAR header for each of those 30 years. Eventually, I will reinsert the pages into the individual magazines, too. My objective has been to first get everything online, and then fill in missing issues (mostly 50's and 60's) and put the mags back together with the charts.

This is still a work in progress. Today I am preparing all the missing 90's years and 4 of the missing 00's years and they will be on the site soon. The final few years are a few weeks away... there will be nearly 300 thousand pages in the colleciton, and all will be searchable globally, by decade and by year, too.

I might mention that there are other U.S. chart publications on the site, including Radio & Records and The Gavin Report. All will be expanded as more issues become available.
radiodavid
Groupie

Postby trebor » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:56 pm

AntLop wrote:All credits to David Gleason, issues are available thanks to a donation by chart historian Monty Greenly

Missing pages from regular issues may be found in the chart compilations readable by clicking on any Year Header... those are DVD-rom: Hot 100 Charts from Joel Whitburn´s record research.

exemple; click on 1960:

^^ It only applies to the Hot 100. Already had all these.
A lot of Country Charts are missing, though. I'm not complaining (just saying).

Guys shall we coordinate the downloading of the data?
I'm pretty sure that at this point it is imminent that Billboard will pull the plug on David's site.
Weekly Hot 100 pdfs by year: On a side note: making the work of Joel Whitburn easily available to the public like this is not really professional behaviour and infringes copyright twice. Don't forget that Joel Whitburn and his team of interns had to accurately photograph and scan every single Hot 100 chart from original Billboard masters; and now it as all yours at the click of a button.
trebor
Legend

Postby radiodavid » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:25 pm

trebor wrote:

exemple; click on 1960:

I'm pretty sure that at this point it is imminent that Billboard will pull the plug on David's site.
Weekly Hot 100 pdfs by year: On a side note: making the work of Joel Whitburn easily available to the public like this is not really professional behaviour and infringes copyright twice. Don't forget that Joel Whitburn and his team of interns had to accurately photograph and scan every single Hot 100 chart from original Billboard masters; and now it as all yours at the click of a button.
A clarification: All the pages on the site are original scans, including the charts. The year-end charts come from the individual year end issues.

Billboard has put the magazine into the public domain by releasing them to Google Books and The Internet Archive. My objective is to make the many issues missing from these other collection available (we all know the Google collection is missing many, many issues). But more than this, making not just individual issues but individual years and decades completely searchable is the final goal. This is not possible in the currently available formats from other sources.

The reason that the charts from 1980 to 2009 are not "inside" the magazine is that my source for those 1,500 magazines had chosen to to remove those pages and store them separately. I've scanned the magazines and scanned the chart extracts, but have not yet folded the charts back into the individual issues although this is a later-stage goal.

I hope this gives clarity to the issues you raise. www.americanradiohistory.com contains over 3 million pages of radio related publications and has been in operation for over a decade; it continues to expand as additional materials become available.

The site carries no advertising, and does not accept donations of money (although contribution of missing or additional publications is always welcome).
radiodavid
Groupie

Postby SimoneMJJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:31 am

I want signal an error in the description. You wrote: "It was first published in November of 1984". The correct year is 1894.

However, great work. Thank you so much. You deserve the best of the world :wink:
SimoneMJJ
Manager

Postby radiodavid » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:47 am

That was an easy fix! I invite anyone who spots an error, a bad link or any other problem to report them.
radiodavid
Groupie

Postby radiodavid » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:31 am

trebor wrote:

exemple; click on 1960:

radiodavid
Groupie

Postby trebor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:00 am

radiodavid wrote:
trebor wrote:
AntLop wrote: //... those are DVD-rom: Hot 100 Charts from Joel Whitburn´s record research.
My post April 1, 2015
A clarification: All the pages on the site are original scans, including the charts. The year-end charts come from the individual year end issues.
Hi David. So very cool to have you here.
The alleged DVD-R copying thing upset me a bit; thank you very much for your clarifications.
You do a wonderful job; and your page is a constant reference point for my own chart research threads.
BTW I'm "digitalzen" if you remember... :D

NB There are some link errors in the R&R section. Will advise
PS: Billboard 1989 Jan 14 is not linked (file is available, though)
trebor
Legend

Postby radiodavid » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:30 am

trebor wrote:NB There are some link errors in the R&R section. Will advise
PS: Billboard 1989 Jan 14 is not linked (file is available, though)
BB 89/1/14 is repaired. And I added more 90's years today, so the decade is complete from 1990 to 1998, with 1999 going through the lengthy OCR and PDF compression process right now. 4 more years from the '00s will be here in next 48 to 72 hours, too.

I'd appreciate any error reporting on the R&R issues... or any other for that matter.

The traffic from this site has resulted in more than 2000 page views of the Billboard page in the last 24 hours. I started adding Billboards for the radio programming aspect of the publication but I am amazed and gratified by the response from the chart-related readers. I'm glad that interest has expanded so rapidly, as I have probably spent 12 to 14 hours a day for the last 3 months scanning, processing and indexing this collection alone!
radiodavid
Groupie

Postby Edu » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:35 am

radiodavid:

Two problems:

in 1988 the issues for 30 and 23 of April are linked, both, to the issue of 16 April. So instead of three different issues we have three links for the same 16 of April issue!

in 1992, from March onwards, links don't work.

Thank you!
Edu
Personal Assistant

Postby trebor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:26 pm

radiodavid wrote:The reason that the charts from 1980 to 2009 are not "inside" the magazine is that my source for those 1,500 magazines had chosen to to remove those pages and store them separately. I've scanned the magazines and scanned the chart extracts, but have not yet folded the charts back into the individual issues although this is a later-stage goal.
@radiodavid: Just a quick note, I was actually referring to the pull-out charts from the 60s; and mostly the Country & Western Charts.

A) On a general note: If anyone has the missing 60s, etc., country charts please share with the community.
B) @radiodavid: Have most original magazines from the very late 90s and early 00s. If you need something, please let me know.
trebor
Legend

Postby AntLop » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:44 pm

[those are DVD-rom: Hot 100 Charts from Joel Whitburn´s record research.]

What I really want to meant was that those charts looks like DVD-rom: Hot 100 Charts from Joel Whitburn´s record research... Like the 90s include Hot 100 Sales & Airplay and missing pages.

I just click 90s and 00s for my research.

Thanks David for awesome work.

by the way, 1992 have some bad links since March to all year.
AntLop
Roadie

Postby WolfSpear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:06 pm

I can finally read all the Chart Beat columns... Hallelujah.

Thanks for creating the site; there are tons of great articles and charts to explore and so little time in the day, unfortunately. It's interesting to read on some of the hot topics of the time, already knowing the outcome to most of them.
WolfSpear
Manager

Postby trebor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:43 pm

^^ @WolfSpear :D
The whole Chart Analysis folks should have a bash in London to celebrate!

@radiodavid
Header: 1984 Chart Compilation. Link leads to nowhere
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Arc ... d/80s/1984
trebor
Legend

Return to Chart Analysis