Billboard Magazine PDF Archives

Moderator: kingofskiffle

Postby John22 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:11 pm

AntLop wrote:All credits to David Gleason, issues are available thanks to a donation by chart historian Monty Greenly

Missing Hot 100 Charts pages from regular issues may be found in the chart compilations readable by clicking on any Year Header... those are DVD-rom: Hot 100 Charts from Joel Whitburn´s record research.

example; click on 1960:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Arc ... BB1960.pdf
It is a pity that there are no lists for the years 1955 to 1959. The lists from 1990 to 2009 are not in chronological order and incomplete. But over all great work. I already had the DVD with the 60s issues.
John22
Groupie

Postby radiodavid » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 am

thebigham wrote:
It's great because most of the Billboard issues linked here are missing the Hot 100 page.
All the Hot 100 charts for the 1980-2010 period are in full year chart files listed in the left margin by year.
Prior years have the charts available by clicking on the "Year" heading in each year's listing column.
radiodavid
Groupie

Postby Forest14 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:15 pm

I find these magazines so interesting. So much information on chart movers and sales. Lots of promo posters on Abba and Heart.
Forest14
Groupie

Postby travextina » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:49 am

@radiodavid do you know the german Der MusikMarkt magazine? They used to published charts from other countries in the early years. Would be interesting if you have their issues and the Italian Musica & Dischi as well to upload on your website. Thank you for your job, it's always helpful! Best regards.
travextina
Roadie

Postby trebor » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:58 am

^^
Copyright still exists on these publications (although the magazine folded).
The original publisher will most likely not sue (for the older issues up to 1977); but GfK/Media Control/BVMI will start a cease and desist procedure before taking legal action.
You can get those magazines (NB: up to ~1978 it didn't even feature all the charts published in printed form in the paper itself) at IIRC Frankfurt/Main National Library and the Bavarian National Library in Munich (since it was published there). At least >90% can be reconstructed; some issues have been vandalised and the vast majority of pull-out/enclosed charts are gone. (The original publisher has all the issues including the monthly/bi-weekly/weekly chart posters neatly archived).
IMHO Also, hands off from making "Musica & Dischi" (probable litigation with FIMI) and "Music Week" widely available.
The Der Musikmarkt "Hits Of The World" charts are not continuous and random, in the sense that the countries featured were always changing, especially the most exotic places. Focus was on the usual charts from Western Europe that are all (mostly) known plus UK & USA, of course.
If you need something specific, you can always ask, of course.
PS: I highly recommend to study David's resumé.
trebor
Legend

Postby me » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:28 pm

travextina wrote:@radiodavid do you know the german Der MusikMarkt magazine? They used to published charts from other countries in the early years. Would be interesting if you have their issues and the Italian Musica & Dischi as well to upload on your website. Thank you for your job, it's always helpful! Best regards.
It would be interesting to upload the english magazines as MM, RR, NME and all the others. No one has these magazines?
italian charts: http://www.it-charts.it/ (old web site) http://www.italycharts.com/ (will be out on next months)
me
Personal Assistant

Postby travextina » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:08 pm

trebor wrote:^^
Copyright still exists on these publications (although the magazine folded).
The original publisher will most likely not sue (for the older issues up to 1977); but GfK/Media Control/BVMI will start a cease and desist procedure before taking legal action.
You can get those magazines (NB: up to ~1978 it didn't even feature all the charts published in printed form in the paper itself) at IIRC Frankfurt/Main National Library and the Bavarian National Library in Munich (since it was published there). At least >90% can be reconstructed; some issues have been vandalised and the vast majority of pull-out/enclosed charts are gone. (The original publisher has all the issues including the monthly/bi-weekly/weekly chart posters neatly archived).
IMHO Also, hands off from making "Musica & Dischi" (probable litigation with FIMI) and "Music Week" widely available.
The Der Musikmarkt "Hits Of The World" charts are not continuous and random, in the sense that the countries featured were always changing, especially the most exotic places. Focus was on the usual charts from Western Europe that are all (mostly) known plus UK & USA, of course.
If you need something specific, you can always ask, of course.
PS: I highly recommend to study David's resumé.
I have the utmost respect for radiodavid, my intention was never to be rude, sorry in any case. I'm a huge fan of his work and all you guys from Ukmix.

Such a pity in both cases we cannot have success getting the issues. I might visit one of those National Libraries and maybe in Berlin as well to see whether there are still something clear about it. May I ask you who is the original publisher? :oops:
travextina
Roadie

Postby trebor » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:29 pm

^^ Sorry if I came across as harsh (not my intention; I'm actually nice)
Josef Keller GmbH & Co. Verlags-KG
Please be sure to check with the libraries beforehand whether they stock this publication!
Only the National Libraries in the respective German Federal Land of publication have the obligation to keep a copy of all print/audio/video material produced in their territory. (So not sure if Berlin meets the criteria)
(Anyhow, I have them all so if you need something...)
trebor
Legend

Postby radiodavid » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:15 am

travextina wrote:@radiodavid do you know the german Der MusikMarkt magazine? They used to published charts from other countries in the early years. Would be interesting if you have their issues and the Italian Musica & Dischi as well to upload on your website. Thank you for your job, it's always helpful! Best regards.
I have known Mario di Luigi of Musica & Dischi since the late 60's, but his magazine is using the back issues to create revenue. In such situations, I would be both in violation of copyrights and interfereing with the survival of one of the few remaining music industry publications.

My policy is to only cover discontinued publications that are definitively abandoned. Sometimes I find an individual who will grant consent, other times there is nobody to be found protecting any rights and I proceed with a "take down" notice. Billboard released their issues to the public domain, via Google Books and others. Cash Box's "editors set" was similarly released to the public domain by its past publisher. Record World is defunct, and it seems that complete collections may not exist so www.americanradiohistory.com is attempting to create such a resource for the future.

I will add any publication which has expired copyrights, and will seriously research any that are abandoned titles where a legal representative may give consent to put materials on the site. Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

Working on Prensario from Argentina, too.
radiodavid
Groupie

Postby travextina » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:09 am

radiodavid wrote:
I have known Mario di Luigi of Musica & Dischi since the late 60's, but his magazine is using the back issues to create revenue. In such situations, I would be both in violation of copyrights and interfereing with the survival of one of the few remaining music industry publications.

My policy is to only cover discontinued publications that are definitively abandoned. Sometimes I find an individual who will grant consent, other times there is nobody to be found protecting any rights and I proceed with a "take down" notice. Billboard released their issues to the public domain, via Google Books and others. Cash Box's "editors set" was similarly released to the public domain by its past publisher. Record World is defunct, and it seems that complete collections may not exist so http://www.americanradiohistory.com is attempting to create such a resource for the future.

I will add any publication which has expired copyrights, and will seriously research any that are abandoned titles where a legal representative may give consent to put materials on the site. Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

Working on Prensario from Argentina, too.
Oh, now I can see clearly how's your process with all magazines. Thank you for your explanation.

I own all the issues from BIZZ Magazine from Brazil, they used to published the Brazilian LP's parade from ~1988 until 1994. I don't believe they have any problem with the illegal commerce of their magazines, since i got a nice reply from them to buy the magazines on mercadolivre.com :lol: Unfortunately any chart from other south american country were published at that time. Anyhow, if interest you, i would be pleased to send to you.

And I'm very excited on Prensario, Thank you!

trebor wrote:^^ Sorry if I came across as harsh (not my intention; I'm actually nice)
Josef Keller GmbH & Co. Verlags-KG
Please be sure to check with the libraries beforehand whether they stock this publication!
Only the National Libraries in the respective German Federal Land of publication have the obligation to keep a copy of all print/audio/video material produced in their territory. (So not sure if Berlin meets the criteria)
(Anyhow, I have them all so if you need something...)
Just sent you a message on your profile. :D
travextina
Roadie

Postby LittleArsonist » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:35 am

Hey everyone and trebor particularly,

can I have a list of 2017 digital issues please? I regularly download them but compared to other years, it seems to me number was heavily reduced.

Am I missing any?

I'm counting them as 23 from 170114 to 171014.

Thanks in advance :)
LittleArsonist
Personal Assistant

Postby BoroButch » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:48 am

LittleArsonist wrote:
I'm counting them as 23 from 170114 to 171014.

Thanks in advance :)
You've got them all, there's only been 23 up to now.
BoroButch
Manager

Postby trebor » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:04 am

^^ Yes, it's 23 issues (including October 14, 2017)
Will upload the bunch soon.
trebor
Legend

Postby trebor » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:22 pm

Billboard Digital Issues 2017

Billboard 2017 - Issues 01 - 05.zip
Billboard 2017 - Issues 06 - 10.zip
Billboard 2017 - Issues 11 - 14.zip
Billboard 2017 - Issues 15 - 18.zip
Billboard 2017 - Issues 19 - 23.zip

Zippyshare. Links will expire on November 16, 2017

If you need older issues. Please let me know

Disclaimer:
Copyright exists on all data posted. Fair use is permitted for non-commercial purposes, such as study and research, etc.
You are expressly not allowed to re-post any data posted here (in its entirety or partially)
trebor
Legend

Postby freeme » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:14 pm

trebor wrote:Billboard Digital Issues 2017

If you need older issues. Please let me know

Disclaimer:
Copyright exists on all data posted. Fair use is permitted for non-commercial purposes, such as study and research, etc.
You are expressly not allowed to re-post any data posted here (in its entirety or partially)
When that chart started?
I would like to build up an archive for a few artists?
Can you post them all from the start?

Thanks
don't disturb this groove!
freeme
Manager

Postby trebor » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:40 pm

freeme wrote:When that chart started?
What chart? (Sorry, I don't understand your question)
trebor
Legend

Postby freeme » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:44 pm

trebor wrote:
The digital one.
don't disturb this groove!
freeme
Manager

Postby kingofskiffle » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:48 pm

freeme wrote:
trebor wrote:
The digital one.
It isn't a chart. it's the magazine as a digital issue. They started doing that in 2013.
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby banamai1896 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:29 am

On americanradiohistory.com two digital issues from 2013 are not available or the link is dead

Billboard Magazine - 2013 05 11
Billboard Magazine - 2013 06 08

Could anyone post these two issues?
Thanks
banamai1896
Groupie

Postby jaygreen » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 am

[quote="trebor"]Billboard Digital Issues 2017

Hi There,

Is it possible if you could let us know what dated issues are in the zips (even if it's by months ie Issues 01-05 = Jan - Mar and so on).

I've got 22 issues and seems I'm only missing one :cry:

Seems a waste of bandwidth to get all the zips for just one issue... yes ? :roll:

Whatever, thanks for posting them... much appreciated I'm sure (by all) :wink:
jaygreen
Groupie

Postby kingofskiffle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:35 am

jaygreen wrote:
trebor wrote:Billboard Digital Issues 2017

Hi There,

Is it possible if you could let us know what dated issues are in the zips (even if it's by months ie Issues 01-05 = Jan - Mar and so on).

I've got 22 issues and seems I'm only missing one :cry:

Seems a waste of bandwidth to get all the zips for just one issue... yes ? :roll:

Whatever, thanks for posting them... much appreciated I'm sure (by all) :wink:
I think its these issues in order,

2017-01-14 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-01-28 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-02-11 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-02-18 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-02-25 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-03-11 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-03-18 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-04-01 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-04-15 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-04-29 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-05-13 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-05-27 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-06-03 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-06-17 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-06-24 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-07-01 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-07-22 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-08-05 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-08-19 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-09-02 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-09-23 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-10-07 - Billboard Charts.pdf
2017-10-14 - Billboard Charts.pdf

So that should be the list in order
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby trebor » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:03 pm

jaygreen wrote:I've got 22 issues and seems I'm only missing one :cry: k:
If you already have 22 issues and all of them are numbered you should be able to figure out which one you are missing. Once identified, I will be uploading that single issue for you.
(NB: Uploading large zip files is easier for me than do them individually)

//

Thanks @kingofskiffle for the extra effort of creating the content list. :D
trebor
Legend

Postby jaygreen » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:08 pm

ATTN Trebor & King Of Skiffle

Thank you both SO much for your help in my moment of need.

KOS, thanks for posting the list of issues (as well as everything else you do) and Trebor, lovely of you to offer to post the missing issue separately but I couldn't ask any more from you. So I got the whole zip with the issue that I was missing (the last one which included Billboard 2017-08-19) :)

At least I knew which one to get and I didn't have to go for the whole 5 zips.

Again, thanks to you both :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
jaygreen
Groupie

Postby trebor » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:26 pm

^^ No worries! Glad you found the missing issue! :D
trebor
Legend

Postby vitucin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:21 am

Why the article about Hot 100 wouldn't appear on old editions?
vitucin
Groupie

Return to Chart Analysis