... Isn't #1 on the Billboard 200

Moderators: AutomaticBR, kingofskiffle, Wayne, arab

Postby NothingFails » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:46 am

stevyy wrote:if the tweens need a chart so badly that represents their way of music consumption they should get one.
They actually had one, The Social Media Top 50.... but alas, it doesn't carry the weight of the album chart and hot 100.

I know album sales are down and consumption has changed, but a popular song/unpopular album isn;'t any different today than it was decades ago. I mean, 20 years ago Macarena was the #1 song for months, the album only went to #41... nobody wanted the album, the single sufficed. The album didn't get inflated bonus points for having a #1 blockbuster when the reality was that nobody cared about Los Del Rio, nobody cared about the album, they liked the song/craze.

I mean, we remember our Mariah's and our Celine's and our Bodyguard soundtracks amongst others and remember big blockbuster albums that had big blockbuster singles, but that wasn't the case with every song that was a smash hit, not was it the case with every album that sold millions. Today is no different than 20 years ago where Los Del Rio and Donna Lewis held fort the top 2 singles for like three months, while Los Del Rio's album peaked at #41 and Donna Lewis' at #31. Big hit smashing single doesn't always mean big hit smashing album and huge artist.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:04 am

Counting single sales or "sales" as equal to album sales is absolutely ridiculous, but it's the only one to make things like PSY, or albums which have just Uptown Funk, Blurred Lines and nothing more that people know look bigger than they are, same about these artist, or rather in majority of cases "artists".
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby iHypeMusic » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:33 pm

NothingFails wrote:
iHypeMusic wrote:
KatyVenezuela wrote:I'm so tired of these 13yo buying the new Britney Spears / NSYNC CD.
Ugh at these 13 yo buying Fergalicious on iTunes, physical >>>

We should stop counting CD / Digital sales since Vinyl is far superior, we can still count cassettes for singles though.
!! These 13 year olds are giving these new artists all these 5 million selling digital songs, because they're too cheap to go out and buy a physical single or album like back then.
I can't name any older artist that ISN'T Pop who's also selling 5M singles on iTunes so clearly iTunes isn't fair, and 13 year olds are being given too much power. Digital singles should no longer count, either physical singles or nothing.
But that's it... the SINGLES CHART is for SINGLES. Older artists/non-pop artists/indie, etc... have always shifted more albums than singles. Single success and the album being a smash have never gone hand in hand. There were many big hit singles in decades past that didn't do anything to the album, people liked the song, didn't want the album... no different than your Lukas Graham or Walk The Moon today.

Can't wait until you're no longer the target musical demo and a younger generation comes along and your stars are having to settle for a #100 peak even though their album sold enough to be #12 simply because the tweens no longer support Drake or somebody. It will happen, and we'll see just how much you think SPS is the way charts should be because album charts are supposed to measure popularity over sales. You're going to age out of the demographic and you'll realize what people like me and stevyy have been saying once you're on the other side and see how ridiculous the chart rules are slanted and favors one demographic over another.

Unlike you, those of us who were kids in the 90s realized we had to share the chart with our parents and other demographics. Kids weren't supporting Michael Bolton, Kenny G, Amy Grant, Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, Hootie And The Blowfish and yet all of them were huge on the chart, sometimes even bigger than the acts our age group were lapping up. Difference is we weren't getting participation trophies and had to deal with it unlike now where tweens think they're the only demographic that exists and radio has coddled them all their lives unlike those of us in the 80s/90s who were taught to deal with old people making music.
By the time I'm 40s+, I assume the #12 selling album won't even be selling 3K (it already struggles to sell 10K, when you'd need 50K+ to be #12 in 2000) so trust me, I won't be angry over 3K sales not being significantly counted in the chart. As I said, in 2016 major labels are making more from Streaming than physical & digital sales.

Streaming in future decades will end up making almost all of labels money, be the main way of consuming music by the entire country, and you guys will still be complaining how it shouldn't count to determine popularity lol. It's ridiculous.

Shifts and evolution come in the music industry, and this is one and the industry has already adjusted. Denying the evolution of the music industry just because 'an age group that isn't yours is being more represented' isn't even a legitimate reason, especially since Streaming is new... thus meaning, in the future the older generations will eventually start using it heavily too therefore it isn't 'one age group being represented unfairly'. How much of the older generation do you think was using iTunes in 2005/2006 when it was relatively new? Now in 2016, everybody at one point period has had iTunes and it's used throughout all age groups.
iHypeMusic
Roadie

Postby WolfSpear » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:08 pm

I will be adding Travis Scott and A Day To Remember to the list some time in the evening (1:00 or 2:00 GMT)
WolfSpear
Manager

Postby Carta » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:03 am

Fact - The Billboard 200 used to be a purely sales based chart
Fact - The Hot 100 has always been a hybrid sales/airplay chart (reflecting a single/track's overall popularity)

Fact - The Billboard 200 is now a popularity chart (i.e. after 60 odd years, Billboard decided to change the rules completely)
Fact - with a small number of notable exceptions (e.g. Number Ones), the #1 album on the BB 200 was the highest selling album in the US (i.e. more people chose to buy that particular body of work than any other product available that week).

My opinion - individual track sales really have no business contributing to the album chart. It's akin to allowing sales from the album chart contribute to the Hot 100 (which was proposed by some around 2000 - Holidayguy, I'm sure you remember those discussions!). Individual track sales (and streaming) should contribute solely to singles/tracks charts. For streaming, only streams of the entire album should count (not streams of individual tracks). The streaming platforms would easily be able to keep track of streams and report when someone had streamed an entire album (rather than just the same track or handful of tracks over and over again).

When Madonna's "Rebel Heart" debuted at #2 on the BB 200, there was a fair bit of media attention given to the fact that it was actually the highest selling album in the US that week, yet still missed the top spot.
Carta
Personal Assistant

Postby RLAAMJR » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:06 am

I always asked why "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" never took the top spot even just once. I just find it very unbelievable. :(
Celine Marie Claudette Tanguay Dion-Angelil, #BestSellingArtistofthe90s #TheGreatestCanadian #SaviorofLasVegas #QueenofThemeSongs
RLAAMJR
Manager

Postby HolidayGuy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Carta- very much in agreement, as you know. :)

It's fine to have a multi-metric chart, but trying to pass it off as a continuation of what once was a purely sales-based chart- like, talking about feats happening now vs. decades prior- is ridiculous. Everything incorporated in the Hot 100 makes sense, as it's a tracks-based chart. When you have one or a couple of tracks comprising the bulk of TEA and SEA numbers to an album's total- not so much. Billboard included them mainly to plump up figures for its "flagship" chart.- I don't look at it as such- Top Album Sales takes precedence in my research, at least for rankings in the top 100, since Dec. 2014.

Aside from Aaron Lewis scoring his first No. 1-selling album this week, Led Zeppelin scored its 14th top 10-selling title with The Complete BBC Sessions.

I have that running list of No. 1/top 10 feats that I could post in this thread. I haven't looked at number of top 40 albums, for those scoring top 40-selling albums since Dec. 2014, that didn't rank in the top 40 of the multi-metric chart.
The most celebrated and important female artist of the last half-century-plus-who else but the one and only Madonna.
HolidayGuy
Manager

Postby RLAAMJR » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:52 am

This wiki article for list of best-selling music artists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... ic_artists

is the problem.

The site is not the problem.

I just want people who do the counting to separate the counting of total physical albums sold, total physical singles sold, total digital albums sold and total digital singles sold.

On that link, it would show Rihanna has more total units sold that Celine and Mariah and it doesn't sound right especially that we know the fact that Rihanna's numbers are mostly single sales, not album sales.
Celine Marie Claudette Tanguay Dion-Angelil, #BestSellingArtistofthe90s #TheGreatestCanadian #SaviorofLasVegas #QueenofThemeSongs
RLAAMJR
Manager

Postby stevyy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:55 pm

yes, people can claim all they want how albums are obsolete these days and everything is about streaming. They did the same in the 2000's claiming that singles sales are obsolete and only download sales would matter.

The media agrees. Nobody is celebrating a huge seller, all they want is streamed singles. BB is claiming sales for Rihanna are approaching 300 million, TEA, SPS and what not. The matter of fact is, that everybody has access to something that is free, but before the internet only paying customers had access to something which was available for a price.

The market today is the globe, the market before 1998 was retail.

The best selling acts should indeed be measured by sales. Then we need to differentiate between digital and physical and then between consumption and purchased.

Combining all aspects gives a wrong picture. Rihanna has not sold 260m records, maybe in consumption value... However, consumption for older acts cannot be measured due to the fact that nobody cared to measure it in the past.

The fact that sales are dead has nothing to do with the people, but with the industry itself outlawing sales, making them become indifferent to measure popularity while they are the #1 source for popularity. Because in my book, sales reflect the willingness of people to giving time and person resouces to music, streaming only requires time.

Only because we are living in a digital world, doesnt mean that we should forget about the times b4 that.
stevyy
Legend

Postby HolidayGuy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Here are the running lists for No. 1 and top 10 chart feats- albums that exclusively hit No. 1 or top 10 on Top Album Sales, which is a continuation of what the all-genre album-sales chart used to be. Any additions, corrections, etc., do inform. :)

Billboard debuted the multi-metric chart in December 2014, but for those few weeks, there weren't any albums that hit No. 1 or top 10 on Album Sales that didn't on the former chart. Thus, we begin with 2015:

1/3/15
5 Seconds Of Summer lands its second top 10 album with LIVESOS (No. 10)

1/10/15
Fabolous scores his sixth top 10-selling album with The Young OG Project (No. 8)

1/31/15
Jazmine Sullivan lands her second top 10-selling album with Reality Show (No. 7)

2/7/15
Lupe Fiasco scores his fourth top 10-selling album with Tetsuo & Youth (No. 9)

2/14/15
Bethel Music lands its second top 10-selling album with We Will Not Be Shaken (No. 9)
Charlie Wilson scores his fourth top 10-selling album with Forever Charlie (No. 10)

2/21/15
The Now That's What I Call Music series lands its 19th No. 1 with NOW 53
Kid Ink scores his second top 10-selling album with Full Speed (No. 10)

3/7/15
Aaron Watson lands his first top 10-selling album with The Underdog (No. 8)

3/28/15
Madonna scores her ninth No. 1-selling album with Rebel Heart

4/4/15
Mark Knopfler scores his second top 10-selling album with Tracker (No. 5)
Sleeping With Sirens lands its second top 10-selling album with Madness (No. 6)
AWOLNATION scores its first top 10-selling album with Run (No. 9)

4/11/15
Earl Sweatshirt lands his third top 10-selling album with I Don't Like s**t, I Don't Go Outside: An Album By Earl Sweatshirt (No. 7)
Courtney Barnett lands his first top 10-selling album with Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit. (No. 10)

4/18/15
Three Days Grace scores its fourth top 10-selling album with Human (No. 10)

4/25/15
All Time Low scores its first No. 1-selling album with Future Hearts
Lord Huron scores his first top 10-selling album with Strange Trails (No. 10)

5/2/15
Dwight Yoakam lands his first top 10-selling album with Second Hand Heart (No. 7)

5/9/15
Mana scores his third top 10-selling album with Cama Incendiada (No. 6)
KB 9 lands its first top 10-selling album with Tomorrow We Live (No. 9)

5/16/15
Insane Clown Posse scores its fourth top 10-selling album with Marvelous Missing Link (Lost) (No. 7)

5/23/15
My Morning Jacket scores its third top 10-selling album with The Waterfall (No. 6)

5/30/15
Snoop Dogg lands his 10th top 10-selling album with BUSH (No. 8)

6/6/15
Faith No More lands its second top 10-selling album with Sol Invictus (No. 6)
Brandon Flowers scores his second top 10-selling album with The Desired Effect (No. 7)

6/20/15
Lil Durk scores his first top 10-selling album with Remember My Name (No. 5)
Billy Currington lands his third top 10-selling album with Summer Forever (No. 9)
Dom Kennedy scores his first top 10-selling album with By Dom Kennedy (No. 10)

6/27/15
Royal Blood scores its first top 10-selling album with Royal Blood (No. 6)
A Thousand Horses scores its first top 10-selling album with Southernality (No. 9)

7/4/15
Third Eye Blind scores its second top 10-selling album with Dopamine (No. 7)

7/18/15
Easton Corbin scores his second top 10-selling album with About To Get Real (No. 9)

8/1/15
Between The Buried And Me scores its first top 10-selling album with Coma Ecliptic (No. 6)
Owl City scores its fourth top 10-selling album with Mobile Orchestra (No. 7)

8/8/15
Anthony Brown & group therAPy scores its first top 10-selling album with Everyday Jesus (No. 9)
Karen Clark-Sheard scores her first top 10-selling album with Destined To Win (No. 10)

8/15/15
We Came As Romans scores its second top 10-selling album with We Came As Romans (No. 8)
Jack & Jack scores its first top 10-selling album with Calibraska (EP), Jack & Jack (No. 9)

9/5/15
Elvis Presley scores his 28th top 10-selling album with Elvis Forever (No. 7)
Neck Deep scores its first top 10-selling album with Life's Not Out To Get You (No. 10)

9/12/15
Bon Jovi scores its 13th top 10-selling album with Burning Bridges (No. 8)
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats scores its first top 10-selling album with Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweat (No. 10)

9/26/15
Five Finger Death Punch scores its first solo No. 1-selling album with Got Your Six
Scarface scores his seventh top 10-selling album with Deeply Rooted (No. 8)
The Wonder Years scores its first top 10-selling album with No Closer To Heaven (No. 9)

10/3/15
Bring Me The Horizon scores its first No. 1-selling album with That's The Spirit

10/10/15
Keith Richards scores his first top 10-selling album with Crosseyed Heart (No. 8)

10/17/15
Don Henley scores his first No. 1-selling album (solo) with Cass County

10/24/15
Clutch scored its first top 10-selling album with Psychic Warfare (No. 7)

10/31/15
Toby Keith scored his 15th top 10-selling album with 35 mph Town (No. 7)

11/14/15
DJ Khaled scored his sixth top 10-selling album with I Changed A Lot (No. 8)
Rod Stewart scored his 18th top 10-selling album with Another Country (No. 10)

11/21/15
The Neighbourhood scores its first top 10-selling album with Wiped Out! (No. 8)
Elvis Presley, With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, scores his 29th top 10-selling album with (No. 9)
Chris Janson scores his first top 10-selling album with Buy Me A Boat (No. 10)

12/19/15
Erykah Badu scores her sixth top 10-selling album with But You Caint Use My Phone (No. 10)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1/2/16
Cam scores his first top 10-selling album with Untamed (No. 10)

1/23/16
Passion lands its fourth top 10-selling album with Salvation's Tide Is Rising (No. 6)

1/30/16
David Bowie scores his 10th 10-selling album with The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (No. 8)

2/6/16
Lecrae scores his third top 10-selling album with Church Clothes (No. 7)
Hank Williams Jr. scores its first top 10-selling album with It's About Time (No. 8)
Brothers Osborne scores its first top 10-selling album with Pawn Shop (No. 10)

2/13/16
Tank scores his fifth top 10-selling album with Sex Love & Pain II (No. 9)

2/20/16
Dream Theater scores its fourth top 10-selling album with The Astonishing (No. 6)
Tedeschi Trucks Band scores its first top 10-selling album with Let Me Get By (No. 9)

2/27/16
Elevation Worship scores its first top 10-selling album with Here As In Heaven (No. 10)

3/19/16
Bonnie Raitt scores her fifth top 10-selling album with Dig In Deep (No. 7)

3/26/16
newsboys scores its second top 10-selling album with Love Riot (No. 6)
Ray LaMontagne scores his fourth top 10-selling album with Ouroboro (No. 7)
Granger Smith scores his first top 10-selling album with Remington (No. 8)
Ninja Sex Party scores its first top 10-selling album with Under The Covers (No. 9)
Loretta Lynn scores her first top 10-selling album with Full Circle (No. 10)

4/2/16
Joey + Rory score its first No. 1-selling album with Hymns
Bethel Music scores its third top 10-selling album with Have It All: Live At Bethel Church (No. 6)
3 Doors Down scores its sixth top 10-selling album with Us And The Night (No. 7)
Randy Houser scores his first top 10-selling album with Fired Up (No. 9)

4/9/16
Iggy Pop scores his first top 10-selling album with Post Pop Depression (No. 8)

4/16/16
Joe Bonamassa scores his second top 10-selling album with Blues Of Desperation (No. 5)
Anthony Hamilton scores his first top 10-selling album with What I'm Feelin' (No. 7)

4/23/16
Explosions In The Sky scores its first top 10-selling album with The Wilderness (No. 9)

4/30/16
Zakk Wylde scored his first top 10-selling album with Book Of Shadows II (No. 6)
Ben Harper, with The Innocent Criminals, scores his fourth top 10 with Call It What It Is (No. 7)

5/7/16
Ace Frehley scores his second top 10-selling album with Origins, Vol. 1 (No. 9)

5/14/16
NF 8 scores its first top 10-selling album with Therapy Session (No. 8)
Blue October scores its second top 10-selling album with Home (No. 10)

5/21/16
Sixx:A.M. scores its second top 10-selling album with Prayers For The Damned, Vol. 1 (No. 10)

6/11/16
Blake Shelton scores his third No. 1-selling album with If I'm Honest

6/18/16
Dierks Bentley scores his first No. 1-selling album with Black
The Monkees scores its sixth top 10-selling album with Good Times! (No. 6)
Thrice scores its first top 10-selling album with To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere (No. 8)
Kevin Gates scores his first top 10-selling album with Murder For Hire II (No. 9)

6/25/16
Paul Simon lands his second solo No. 1-selling album with Stranger To Stranger
Tegan And Sara score its second top 10-selling album with Love You To Death (No. 8)

7/2/16
Nick Jonas scores first No. 1-selling album with Last Year Was Complicated
Garbage lands its second top 10-selling album with Strange Little Birds (No. 7)
Band Of Horses scores its second top 10-selling album with Why Are You OK (No. 9)
Kaleo lands its first 10-selling album with A/B (No. 10)

7/9/16
Red Hot Chili Peppers scores its second No. 1 selling album with The Getaway
Jon Pardi scores his first top 10-selling album with California Sunrise (No. 8)

7/16/16
The Avett Brothers scores its first No. 1-selling album with True Sadness

7/30/16
Schoolboy Q lands his first No. 1-selling album with Blank Face LP

8/6/16
NeedToBreathe scores its first No. 1-selling album with HardLove

8/13/16
Gucci Mane scores his first No. 1-selling album with Everybody Looking

9/10/16
Dolly Parton scores her third top 10-selling album with Pure & Simple (No. 6)

9/17/16
De La Soul scores its second top 10-selling album with and the ANONYMOUS NOBODY... (No. 7)

9/24/16
A Day to Remember scores its first No. 1-selling album with Bad Vibrations

10/1/16
Wilco scores its fifth top 10-selling album with Schmilco
Of Mice & Men scores its second top 10-selling album with Cold World (No. 9)

10/8/16
Aaron Lewis scores his first No. 1-selling album with Sinner
Led Zepellin scores its 14th top 10-selling album with The Complete BBC Sessions (No. 10)

10/15/16
Crowder scores his second top 10-selling album with American Prodigal (No. 5)
Every Time I Die scores its first top 10-selling album with Low Teens (No. 8)
Idina Menzel scores her second top 10-selling album with Idina (No. 9)

10/22/16
Bon Iver scores its first No. 1-selling album with 22, A Million
Bob Weir scores his first top 10-selling (solo) album with Blue Mountain (No. 6)
Opeth scores its first top 10-selling album with Sorceress (No. 8)
Drive-By-Truckers scores its first top 10-selling album with American Band (No. 9)

10/29/16
Dance Gavin Dance scores its first top 10-selling album with Mothership (No. 6)
Meshuggah scores its first top 10-selling album with The Violent Sleep of Reason (No. 7)
Phish scores its fourth top 10-selling album with Big Boat (No. 8)
Sum 41 scores its third top 10-selling album with 13 Voices (No. 9)

11/5/16
Blackberry Smoke scores its first top 10-selling album with Like an Arrow (No. 6)
Hillsong scores its first top 10-selling album with Let There Be Light (No. 7)
The Dillinger Escape Plan scores its first top 10-selling album with Dissociation (No. 8)

11/12/16
The Pretty Reckless scores its second top 10-selling album with Who You Selling For (No. 8)
I Prevail scores its first top 10-selling album with Lifelines (No. 9)
Jimmy Eat World scores its third top 10-selling album with Integrity Blues (No. 10)

11/19/16
Kenny Chesney scores his eighth No. 1-selling album with Cosmic Hallelujah
The Piano Guys scores its first top 10-selling album with Uncharted (No. 8)
Testament scores its first top 10-selling album with Brotherhood of the Snake (No. 9)
Tove Lo scores her first top 10-selling album with Lady Wood (No. 10)

12/3/16*
Joe scores his seventh top 10-selling album with #MYNAMEISJOETHOMAS (No. 9)

*Garth Brooks' 10-disc The Ultimate Collection sold some 134,000, making it the week's top-selling album; however, the $29.99 price made it ineligible for the albums charts (to chart, new releases must be sold for no lower than $3.49 in their first four weeks; to chart, the album needed a price of at least $34.90- 10 discs x $3.49. This isn't the first time Brooks may have had the week's top-selling album that didn't chart- his 2005 The Limited Series reportedly sold enough to rank No. 1 on the albums chart in its week of release. However, as a Wal-Mart exclusive, it was ineligible to chart at the time. In all, Brooks' may have 11 No. 1-selling albums to his credit, with two deemed ineligible to chart.

12/31/16
Tech N9ne scores his fifth top 10-selling album with The Storm.
Last edited by HolidayGuy on Thu May 04, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 14 times in total.
The most celebrated and important female artist of the last half-century-plus-who else but the one and only Madonna.
HolidayGuy
Manager

Postby WolfSpear » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:48 pm

Awesome! Thanks HolidayGuy :)
WolfSpear
Manager

Postby HolidayGuy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:13 pm

^No problem. :)

For acts on the "most" lists, I include these numbers, with an asterisk next to the number.
HolidayGuy
Manager

Postby HolidayGuy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:36 pm

Four firsts for this week's charts; updated in the running post.
HolidayGuy
Manager

Postby HolidayGuy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:49 am

The list is updated with the 10/29 info- in the end, Melissa Etheridge's album missed the top 10. :cry:
HolidayGuy
Manager

Postby WolfSpear » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:51 pm

Wow, Melissa usually never misses the top 10.

Looks like nothing new for #1 this week's as Green Day takes Sales and SPS
WolfSpear
Manager

Postby HolidayGuy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Another week in which No. 1s are the same on Album Sales and the multi-metric chart.

Three acts, whose new albums do not rank in the multi-metric top 10, score their first top 10-selling albums this week. The post on this page is updated.
HolidayGuy
Manager

Postby HolidayGuy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:08 pm

The same album holds down the top spot on Album Sales and the multi-metric chart this week, but there are three titles ranking top 10 in sales that aren't on the multi-metric chart. 2016 post updated above.
HolidayGuy
Manager

Postby WolfSpear » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:46 pm

Looks like it's going to be that way next week as well.

Kenny Chesney has a commanding lead on both Sales and SPS numbers.
WolfSpear
Manager

Postby JJeffs » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:29 pm

stevyy wrote:yes, people can claim all they want how albums are obsolete these days and everything is about streaming. They did the same in the 2000's claiming that singles sales are obsolete and only download sales would matter.

The media agrees. Nobody is celebrating a huge seller, all they want is streamed singles. BB is claiming sales for Rihanna are approaching 300 million, TEA, SPS and what not. The matter of fact is, that everybody has access to something that is free, but before the internet only paying customers had access to something which was available for a price.

The market today is the globe, the market before 1998 was retail.

The best selling acts should indeed be measured by sales. Then we need to differentiate between digital and physical and then between consumption and purchased.

Combining all aspects gives a wrong picture. Rihanna has not sold 260m records, maybe in consumption value... However, consumption for older acts cannot be measured due to the fact that nobody cared to measure it in the past.

The fact that sales are dead has nothing to do with the people, but with the industry itself outlawing sales, making them become indifferent to measure popularity while they are the #1 source for popularity. Because in my book, sales reflect the willingness of people to giving time and person resouces to music, streaming only requires time.

Only because we are living in a digital world, doesnt mean that we should forget about the times b4 that.
I don't think any of this is about forgetting the times that came before now. And I don't think choosing to "own" something should be seen as superior to "renting" or "streaming" something. Ultimately they are all legal ways to listen to the music we like. I do feel like there's an underlying reason some of us take strong issue with SEA/TEA inclusion and some of us don't. It's even been said out loud - being fans of veteran acts who peaked in a completely different time and space leaves some of us feeling like it's unfair. These same acts have a very difficult time on the Hot 100, so the BB200 was the one place where fans could get their veteran artist to #1 for a week. I get it. On the flip, if SEA and TEA didn't exist right now, do any of us honestly think that a new Madonna album with zero hit singles is more popular than Drake's album with multiple hits? Even if it happened to have a few more hard sales? Personally, I think the lack of streaming/track sales options would push Drake to #1 on sales, but that's obviously subjective.

While I agree that it is unfair - impossible, even - to compare the success of an album from 1976 to one from 1996 to one from 2016.... that's never been the point of weekly charts. They've always been a snapshot of one week's time, under it's own current set of chart rules - very of-the-moment. One set of rules for one week. Period. As chart fans, we love to make lists and stack and compare things next to one another over the weeks/months/years/decades, but that wasn't even "fair" back when album sales were strictly album sales. It's just a survey which can be (and has been) manipulated in many different ways. There's NEVER been a completely level playing field and nothing is apples to apples, even if one given week. Discounts, promotion/marketing budget, product availability, concert ticket bundles, etc... all of these things play a role in manipulating the playing field in any given week. I feel like for some of us, we feel like the act of purchasing an album is somehow superior to streaming it. And this is where I think it gets hairy, and when we all instinctually want to cling to our own "when I was a kid" mentalities and not let go.

We are in the middle of a fairly drastic change in the way music is consumed and therefore how its success is measured and compared in any given week. Ultimately, in my opinion, retail music sales are going to be a thing of the past at some point in the not too distant future. The internet and the "digital music file" have made it to easy to consume and share music - so easy that it's literally free, even if technically illegal in many cases, and so widespread that it's impossible to put an end to piracy and unlicensed sharing. And aside from all this, it appears that more and more people are choosing to stream music (paid subscription or free) than to shell out money to own it. This is ultimately HELPING the industry in many ways, namely by adding SOME revenue to what is otherwise a free for all.

Is adding track sales and streams to retail sales figures "right"? I don't know. Nobody does. But when there's such a huge fundamental shift in the way music is being consumed, action is required to track it so that it represents the HERE AND NOW - not worrying about how it contrasts with the past and the conflicts it causes for historians.

I get the sentiment and reasoning behind this thread, I really do. And, like the charts themselves, these feelings some of us have are very "of the moment" and not invalid ... but at some point this point of view will be so far removed from the reality of what is happening, it won't matter. It all kinda whiffs of trying to hold onto the past - prolonging the chart glory of artists that aren't benefitting from a new, youth-driven business model. The crazy thing is, it's ALWAYS been a youth-driven (not exclusively, but the largest segment) business model and artists' mainstream success has always come and gone - or at least peaked and faded. It's just the way it goes. Out with the old, in with the new. Some people finally have given up on their cassette tapes and have moved on to CDs, some never stopped consuming their favorite music by way of vinyl. It can take decades before some people are willing to change with the times.

Is it annoying to see fans of today's streaming artists compare them to the successes of massive global superstars of the 80s and 90s? YES. Totally annoying. But, in fairness, artists who dominated in the 80s and 90s had what those before them did not... the music video along with a major music video outlet. This added a whole new way to promote an artist and their work, which has stuck around and grown into a legitimate form of music consumption. These same artists also benefitted from increased radio station counts and larger audiences. I say all this because certain things may not seem "fair" or "right" now, but in time things will be so different, there will be no reason to try and fight it. Things were as they were. They are as they are. Everything is a product of its own time.

I'll end with this - say the BB200 was still album-sales only. And say sales continued to decline as they have been. Say streaming continued to grow like it has been. In order for the concept of a music album to survive, it needs to generate revenue - it needs to be a worthwhile investment for the label, artist and consumer. The industry - collectively - has to either try and convert itself with the new "streaming" generation, or run the risk of losing everything. At what point are some of us willing to concede that times have changed/are changing and album sales aren't the same as they used to be, with or without track sales and streaming included? The album as we knew it as it relates to the charts is a dying breed. For me, it's fun to discuss the charts each week and the differences in the times and the achievements of the artists in different eras - but apparently that's not enough. It seems for some to be more about hanging on to this notion of trying to keep the cross-generational playing field "fair" - when it never really was to begin with.
JJeffs
Groupie

Postby HolidayGuy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:18 pm

The fairest thing is to compare positions, and chart feats, on Top Album Sales, to those pre-December 2014. The inclusion of TEA and streaming, essentially, has made it apples-to-oranges comparisons of ranks and feats on the multi-metric chart vs. what the BB 200 used to be.

In any event, were back to dual No. 1s this week, as Kenny Chesney scores his eighth No. 1-selling album. Once we ave the official top 10 sales rankings, I will update the running list on this page.
HolidayGuy
Manager

Postby HolidayGuy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:27 pm

Aside from Kenny Chesney scoring his eighth No. 1-selling album this week, three acts reach the top 10 for the first time, including a band that has been recording since the 1980s.
HolidayGuy
Manager

Postby RLAAMJR » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:49 am

Question, why don't they convert number of of singles sold into one album sold?
RLAAMJR
Manager

Postby HolidayGuy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:05 pm

^On the multi-metric chart, 10 singles sold= 1 album.

This week, Garth brooks and Trisha Yearwood score new top 10-selling albums, as does Joe. Running list is updated (with a note about Brooks).
HolidayGuy
Manager

Postby WolfSpear » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:48 pm

Okay the list has been updated, with Garth scoring a phantom #1 seller. That has been indicated with an *.

He almost took the SPS column as well, but the box isn't available for streaming services (I assume).
WolfSpear
Manager

Postby Bojan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:40 pm

Billboard 200 should just be a revenue chart and remain relevant forever without any changes in the future.
Right now it's only partly relevant, but it would be completely irrelevant without streaming.

Very well explained:
iHypeMusic wrote:By the time I'm 40s+, I assume the #12 selling album won't even be selling 3K (it already struggles to sell 10K, when you'd need 50K+ to be #12 in 2000) so trust me, I won't be angry over 3K sales not being significantly counted in the chart. As I said, in 2016 major labels are making more from Streaming than physical & digital sales.

Streaming in future decades will end up making almost all of labels money, be the main way of consuming music by the entire country, and you guys will still be complaining how it shouldn't count to determine popularity lol. It's ridiculous.

Shifts and evolution come in the music industry, and this is one and the industry has already adjusted. Denying the evolution of the music industry just because 'an age group that isn't yours is being more represented' isn't even a legitimate reason, especially since Streaming is new... thus meaning, in the future the older generations will eventually start using it heavily too therefore it isn't 'one age group being represented unfairly'. How much of the older generation do you think was using iTunes in 2005/2006 when it was relatively new? Now in 2016, everybody at one point period has had iTunes and it's used throughout all age groups.
Bojan
Manager

Return to Chart Analysis