Streaming & Charts

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby me » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:13 pm

From Global Music Report 2016:
Streaming and the charts:

To date, 18 countries – Australia, Austria, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, New
Zealand, Norway, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and USA – have integrated audio streaming into their singles charts.
Ten of those countries – Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, UK and the US – also use
streaming data in their albums charts. France has plans to launch streams in their singles and albums chart in summer 2016.
Since streams present a different metric from downloads, based on multiple listens rather than a single purchase, a conversion ratio to harmonize the two metrics is used. This rate differs from country to country to reflect local dynamics, but national chart bodies are adopting similar methodologies to try to standardise nations’ calculations. Streaming is changing the very nature of the charts where it is incorporated. The turnover of titles has slowed as streaming reflects repeated listens to a track or tracks rather than their one-off purchase.

How is this rate in these 18-19 countries? Singles (better: Tracks) and/or Albums?
Is it possible to have a list by countries?
italian charts: http://www.it-charts.it/ (old web site) http://www.italycharts.com/ (will be out on next months)
me
Personal Assistant

Postby me » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:10 am

Ratio (Singles):
UK: 100
France: 150
Spain: 250
italian charts: http://www.it-charts.it/ (old web site) http://www.italycharts.com/ (will be out on next months)
me
Personal Assistant

Postby KokoCollino » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:12 am

Germany

Albums & Singles

- Paid streaming only
- Tracks need to be played for at least 30 seconds
- The streaming services Apple Music, Deezer, Google Play Music, Juke, Groove, Napster, Qobuz, Spotify and Tidal are delivering their data to GfK
- As Germany has value charts, we can assume that probably 0.0x € will be counted/stream

Additional for Albums

- At least 6 tracks of the album have to be streamed to make streams count for the album
- Max. number of tracks counted: 12
- The actual streams of the two most played tracks are not counted, but instead the average of the following max. 10 tracks (likewise to the UK)

Certifications

- Singles: 100 paid streams = 1 unit
- No news on album certifications so far
Looks like I found my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby me » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:17 am

Italy:

The conversion ratio is 1: 100.
Paid and free streaming. Tracks need to be played for at least 30 seconds.
No streaming in the album chart.
First download+streaming chart: 11 september 2014
me
Personal Assistant

Postby me » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:32 am

Spain:
JANUARY 9, 2015
Spain’s weekly Promusicae singles chart will now be compiled using a combination of data related to physical sales, downloads and audio streaming services. Promusicae says that the IFPI has established a criteria specifically to suit Spain’s market, thus the 250:1 formula. The ratio will be reviewed every six months. The new 100 track-long chart will convert every 250 streaming listens into a download equivalent.
It replaces Spain’s separate 50 track-long streaming and download charts, and will be compiled in association with Spanish rights organisation Agedi. Streaming platforms including Spotify, Deezer, Xbox Music and Napster are included in the formula, but YouTube is exempt. The first combined chart was released yesterday.
me
Personal Assistant

Postby innocenteyes » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:40 am

AUSTRALIA:

ARIA now calculate the Australian singles chart from combining legal downloads from iTunes with streams of individual tracks from services including Spotify, Apple Music and Google Play.

Around 175 streams of one track count as one sale on the singles chart.

[...]

In Australia the figure is assessed and changed on a quarterly basis — while ARIA do not reveal the exact sum sources say it is somewhere between 175 and 250 plays.
SOURCE
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby czy911130 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:15 pm

NEW ZEALAND:

http://charts.org.nz/forum.asp?todo=vie ... 75&pages=2

Special thanks to the charts.org.nz member NxtGeneration contributed the info from Recorded Music New Zealand (RMNZ). :)

UPDATE ACCORDING TO RMNZ:

Streams now count toward single certifications (not albums) in the same way that they count toward chart positions each week. The conversion ratio for certification is identical to the ratio for chart position, which is 175:1.

A gold single remains 7,500 sales (OR the stream-based equivalent) and 15,000 sales (or equivalent) for platinum. So this means a single would have to be streamed 1,312,500 tunes to theoretically go gold on streaming alone or 2.6 million times for platinum. That scenario is unlikely though. What actually happens, of course, is that songs now go gold or platinum as a result of simultaneous sales and streaming consumption by music fans.

This does tend to mean that singles now reach gold or platinum faster than they once did. It also means that older singles have a greater likelihood of going gold or platinum thanks to recurring streaming play, even after their sales peak has been and gone. This was true to an extent before, because sales can continue to trickle in, but is much more pronounced now due to the effect of consumers’ playlisting habits on streaming platforms.

Certification of albums remains purely sales-based (7,500 for gold, 15,000 for platinum).
This post shall be update time by time.
Last edited by czy911130 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
czy911130
Groupie

Postby me » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:58 am

and Billboard?
me
Personal Assistant

Postby Shayonce » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:12 pm

me wrote:and Billboard?
150 streaming = 1 track download
1500 streaming = 1 album

count both free and paid streaming.
count every track of the album and remixes of the tracks not on the album.
album chart also count TEA, 10 tracks = 1 album
Shayonce
Manager

Postby trebor » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:31 pm

^^ That's the RIAA certification conversation table

I'm pretty sure that Billboard uses a different (and non-static) conversion method on all their metric charts.
On-demand streams count 2x in comparison to passive streams.
trebor
Legend

Postby me » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:11 pm

Does the airplay count in the Billboard Hot-100?
And how?
me
Personal Assistant

Postby me » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:13 pm

France:
Un nouveau TOP Albums en phase avec la consommation
25 juillet 2016 à 18h56
À compter de cette semaine, le classement des meilleures ventes d’albums réalisé par GFK intègre les écoutes en streaming des titres des albums, les ventes physiques (CDs, Vinyles) et les ventes par téléchargements. Les écoutes en streaming sont converties en « équivalent ventes » qui sont ensuite ajoutés aux ventes physiques et en téléchargement. Les albums streamés sont convertis en » équivalents ventes » sur la base suivante :
- Somme de tous les streams des titres de l’album (Abonnement et freemium confondus)
- Retrait de 50% des volumes du titre de l’album le plus streamé
- Division du résultat par 1 000 → Obtention du nombre d’équivalent-album
- Rajout du nombre d’équivalent-albums obtenu aux ventes physiques et en téléchargement
http://www.snepmusique.com/actualites-d ... sommation/
me
Personal Assistant

Postby brian05 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:35 pm

For your information.

brian05
Manager

Postby Gambo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:04 pm

Thank you Brian05 for posting this interesting, though of course utterly predictable data set. I can't think there is really any doubt that the proliferation of audio streaming eats more and more noticeably into digital download sales, which I think is a crying shame, but there it is. The circumstantial evidence has been building for some years, and now we seem to have fairly conclusive proof from the starkness of the official numbers. As the man says, it's "an inevitable artefact of the transition process", and these days in the virtual online world that process travels at worrying speeds.

This I suppose only goes to support the industry's principle that the two types of consumption needed to be reflected in the mainstream national charts, and although that was always going to be an awkward and irreconcileable juxtaposition for many of us, the idea that there could've been two competing tabulations and no combined effort for an indefinite period does seem rather anachronistsic. Although by 2020 I'm guessing that the singles chart at least will essentially be a streaming list anyway, with digital sales contributing little more than what physical sales did to the combined digital/physical chart of 2005-'14.
Gambo
Manager

Postby brian05 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:05 pm

Music Week
Amazon’s new streaming service, Amazon Music Unlimited, is now available in the UK, having been rolled out in the US last month.

With its new launch, Amazon is looking to go head-to-head with the likes of Spotify, Apple Music and Tidal in the streaming market, boasting a catalogue of over 40 million songs and, most interestingly, a potentially game-changing price point.

While Apple Music and Tidal have looked to exclusive releases and content to chip away at Spotify’s market dominance, neither have been able to break away from the industry-standard £9.99 per month subscription fee. With Amazon Music Unlimited, Amazon Prime members will be able to sign up to the service for just £7.99 per month, while those content with listening to music in the home can enjoy the service through an Amazon Echo speaker for just £3.99 per month.

Another key feature of Amazon Music Unlimited is Alexa – its voice control function that allows customer with an Echo speaker to control everything from song selection, volume control, playlists and a whole host more by simply talking to the speaker.

Users can ask Alexa to identify a song by saying some of its lyrics out loud, while, if you’re looking for music of a particular mood, you can ask, Alexa, play ‘90s indie, and it’ll immediately play a popular song from the genre and period stated. You can even order taxis and takeaways using the service.

With Alexa, customers can also listen to the Side By Side feature, whereby asking, for example, Alexa, play Sting Side By Side, Sting will then offer a commentary either his latest album/single. Side By Sides are currently available from Emeli Sandé, The Chainsmokers, Sting, Two Door Cinema Club, Madness, Norah Jones, The Shires and Michael Buble, with more being added.

“We’ve been thrilled with customer reaction to the launch of Amazon Music Unlimited in the US last month and we’re excited to quickly bring the service to customers in the UK,” said Steve Boom, VP Amazon Music. “Starting today, Amazon Music Unlimited offers our UK customers playlists and stations curated by our music experts in the UK, featuring leading British and international artists – we think customers are going to love it.”

“Amazon Music Unlimited brings real value to the millions of people in the UK who are already Prime members, with a choice of subscribing for only £7.99 a month or even £79 per year,” added Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder and CEO. “And if you want a sense of the future of voice-controlled music, go ahead and ask Alexa for a free Amazon Music Unlimited trial, and play around on your Echo. If you don’t know the name of a song but know a few lyrics, if you want to hear songs from a specific decade, or even if you’re looking for music to match your mood, just ask. Our U.S. customers love Amazon Music Unlimited on Echo, and we think our UK customers will too.”
brian05
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Amazon have also made it more difficult to download songs. They have also removed the 30 second preview from the chart display :roll:

They introduced a new app with a blue logo. The orange one used to allow you to log into the "cloud" where all your purchased music was stored. After purchasing new tracks, and selecting that app, it would update your purchase's to the cloud, and say you have new music. Clicking on it would cause it to download.
The blue one allows access, but after purchasing just sits there and doesn't add the new songs. For the last three weeks I have had to click the download option and select save as, to download the new songs. It downloads them as a zipp file that you have to extract. Whereas the other just download them.

I should also point out that download sales are MUCH HIGHER than official figures, since the industry has always covered up the real amount that records sell. If you look at the Real Chart it still has two records that have sold more than two million sales of both physical and download copies. Though sales are slowly coming down, in proportion to the industry figures, when they were registering a third of all sales, the two thirds of the rest still leaves a massive market. Streaming or no streaming. Even though the two thirds are falling. Records can still sell at number one a 100,000 copies. But of course they used to sell 200,000+ That's the real difference.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Instinct » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:05 pm

What is the ratio for Sweden and Denmark?

Also, does Italy count YouTube views? If not, what countries do (besides the US)?
Last edited by Instinct on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Instinct
Manager

Postby MusicLover88 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:14 pm

Instinct wrote:What is the ratio for Sweden and Denmark?

Also, does Italy count YouTube views? If not, what countries do (besides the US)?
Canada for sure.
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Superstar

Postby Instinct » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:39 pm

MusicLover88 wrote:

Canada for sure.
Canada counts YouTube for their charts but not for certifications, right?
Instinct
Manager

Postby Instinct » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:03 am

So...

UK: 1:100 (1:150 starting from next year)
France: 1.150
Canada: 1.150
Spain: 1:250
Netherlands: 1:150
Germany: 1:100 (paid streams)
Australia: 1:175 or 1:250
New Zealand: 1:175
Italy: 1:100
Sweden: 1:100
Denmark: 1:100
Norway: 1:100
Finland: 1:100
Ireland: 1:100?
Poland: 1:250 (YouTube included)
Austria: ?
Switzerland: ?

It seems like Brazil is now including streaming in their single certifications as well, I wonder what the ratio is. And Mexico.
Instinct
Manager

Postby me » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:12 pm

Italy doesn't count Youtube
me
Personal Assistant

Postby trebor » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:05 am

Instinct wrote:Switzerland: ?
Ratio currently 187:1
Paid streams only. (Stream = 30 seconds of audio played) [No videos, webcasts, simulcasts. live-streams]
trebor
Legend

Postby bsdoacao3 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:29 pm

What about Mexico, Argentina and Brazil?
bsdoacao3
Personal Assistant

Postby ArianaCharts » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:10 pm

bsdoacao3 wrote:What about Mexico, Argentina and Brazil?
For Brazil:

Album: 5.000 streamings of audio/video = 1 album sold
Singles: 500 streamings of audio/video = 1 single sold
10 tracks sold = 1 album sold

http://pro-musicabr.org.br/home/certificados/tabela-de-niveis-de-certificacao-pro-musica/
ArianaCharts
Groupie

Postby trebor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:54 am

Switzerland
IFPI.ch / December 30, 2017
Chart methodology updated per January 1, 2018 (pdf)

Album-Charts neu mit Streaming

Nachdem Streamingdaten schon seit 2014 den Single-Charts beigemischt werden, wird dies ab der ersten Charts-Ausgabe 2018 auch bei den Album-Charts der Fall sein.

Dabei werden die drei meistgestreamten Titel eines Albums auf den Streaming-Durchschnitt der übrigen Titel heruntergestuft. Die Streams der anderen Titel werden unverändert gezählt. Die Summe der Streams der drei abgewerteten Top-Titel und aller anderen Titel des Albums wird dann durch den Faktor 10 (allgemeine durchschnittliche Anzahl Titel pro Album) geteilt und nach dem aktuellen Beimischungsfaktor den Downloads und physischen Verkäufen hinzugerechnet.

Diese Methode lehnt sich stark an das in Europa vorherrschende Beimischungsmodell an, mit dem Unterschied, dass dort meistens nur die zwei meistgestreamten Titel nicht berücksichtigt werden. Die Chartskommission hat sich zur Streichung der drei Top-Titel entschieden, um damit eine klare Abgrenzung zu den Single-Charts zu gewährleisten, wo in der Regel nur drei Titel pro Act zugelassen sind.
via Microsoft/Bing Translator

Album charts new with streaming
After streaming has been added to the single-charts since 2014, this will also be the case with the album charts from the first charts-issue 2018.

The three Meistgestreamten tracks of an album are downgraded to the streaming average of the remaining tracks. The streams of the other tracks are counted unchanged. The sum of the streams of the three devaluated top titles and all other tracks of the album is then divided by a factor of 10 (general average number of tracks per album) and added to the downloads and physical sales according to the current admixture factor.

This method strongly adheres to the model of admixture prevailing in Europe, with the difference that only the two Meistgestreamten titles are not taken into account. The Chartskommission has decided to delete the top three titles in order to ensure a clear demarcation to the single charts, where only three titles per Act are normally allowed.
trebor
Legend

Return to Chart Analysis