The Chart Book

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

 

Would you buy a physical copy of my chart books?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Yes
7
78%
No
2
22%
I want an entire chart not a decade book for this option
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 9

Postby kingofskiffle » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:50 pm

I've decided to put together my own chart book. An advertisement - a couple of pages - is shown below. If you wish to buy the full book - for the 1950's only so far, with later volumes to follow should anybody actually want this stuff! - then please send me an email and I'll send details of payment.

Cost - £10. Delivery, by PDF.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tblnwnlmmrd8j ... t.pdf?dl=0

The 1950's is a wonderful decade, with some amazing songs. Check out the book, and the material that isn't anywhere else in book form including length of record and composer credits.
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
User avatar
kingofskiffle
Superstar
 
Posts: 5975
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004
Location: On The Internet

Postby kjell » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:05 am

Finally a serious chartbook aften many years in waiting. And with composer credits too which is exactly the most importert item that's been missing from the best chartbooks of the past. You'll be kingofcharts also!
kjell
Groupie
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007
Location: Oslo, Norway

Postby kingofskiffle » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:36 am

kjell wrote:Finally a serious chartbook aften many years in waiting. And with composer credits too which is exactly the most importert item that's been missing from the best chartbooks of the past. You'll be kingofcharts also!
Thank you for your kind words. Adding composer credits was something I wanted to do for a while. It took a lot of research on various websites to gather them all. Plus experimenting with the format to make it readable was also fun.
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
User avatar
kingofskiffle
Superstar
 
Posts: 5975
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004
Location: On The Internet

Postby kingofskiffle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:24 am

Some have asked for a printed copy of the book. I have found a way to produce limited quantities of the book, which will cost £30 plus postage and packaging to wherever you are.

The printed copies are in the following style (see below) and to order these I will need approximately two weeks from recipe of your order. To order, I need your full postal address, including country. I will then calculate the postage costs and dispatch.

I understand that some require a printed version and so that is why this has been produced. I do however understand that some may find the costs here prohibitive, but the additional costs are what it will cost me to produce.

A4 sized coil (spiral) bound documents.
Bound on the short edge
Clear coloured coils (spirals).
Clear PVC cover (front).
Front cover printed colour outside, blank inside on 300gsm smooth matt (uncoated) card.
Back cover printed no printing (blank) on 300gsm smooth matt (uncoated) card.
Inner pages printed double sided on 80gsm smooth matt (uncoated) paper.
89 colour pages.
Despatched 7 working days from approval of artwork.
Normally delivered within 1 working day from despatch.
This item has been zero rated for VAT as it is a bound document.
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
User avatar
kingofskiffle
Superstar
 
Posts: 5975
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004
Location: On The Internet

Postby Gambo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:37 am

Lonnie this is excellent news! I recall your ambitions in the 2000s to produce a complete hit singles-style e-book and you sent me a copy of how far you'd progressed - that was an impressive bit of work and I was always sad that you never got a chance to complete it, I assume due to the tedious but inescapable intrusions of work: so often the enemy of the chart buff! But this is a step up from that project as you have now included writing credits and B-sides, and the whole 'feel' of the layout is superior in my view.

Are you going to try and produce something similar for each decade as a stand-alone piece, or ultimately combine these to form a complete tome for 1952 to the present? It's evidently a mammoth task but you seem to have a lot of the raw material already to hand, so maybe it's more a question of marshalling all that information and presenting it in your chosen format, plus working out all the additional chart feats etc which is always a nice feature. I do hope this time around you get enough time to yourself to complete the work.
Gambo
Manager
 
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006
Location: Croydon

Postby jszmiles » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:47 am

I adore this work Lonnie, well done!

I know this is almost impossible but I still wait for chart book with full charts and/or full chart runs of each decade (just like Zobbel did with some of the years) :oops:
User avatar
jszmiles
Legend
 
Posts: 39300
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004
Location: Radom / Warsaw [POLAND]

Postby kingofskiffle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:50 am

I am aiming for individual volumes per decade as that is more manageable. I also want to do albums and then look at books for other charts as I go along (Record Mirror, Melody Maker, NME etc)

Ultimately yes I want to try and do a combined book but by doing a decade series I feel that I can always add. A complete book is out of date immediately with the next weeks chart.

Plus for the period from 1994 onwards I need to be careful as to what I can actually produce. From then in is a Top 100 only the way forward? For example. Lots to think about but only once I complete the 80's book.
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
User avatar
kingofskiffle
Superstar
 
Posts: 5975
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004
Location: On The Internet

Postby kingofskiffle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:53 am

jszmiles wrote:I adore this work Lonnie, well done!

I know this is almost impossible but I still wait for chart book with full charts and/or full chart runs of each decade (just like Zobbel did with some of the years) :oops:
Thanks. Not impossible just massive. The data for a book of it all would be huge. Plus there wouldn't be a 'clean' layout necessarily.

Maybe if enough people buy the decade sets then I can go back and sort out chart runs. If it's just me doing this and nobody buys then nobody wants. But if people want then I'll do more. First comes the decade series then books on individual charts from different magazines then we shall see. I'm not ruling it out!
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
User avatar
kingofskiffle
Superstar
 
Posts: 5975
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004
Location: On The Internet

Postby Chartaholic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:33 pm

For a song that crosses decades, is the peak and weeks on chert the real peak and the real week on charts, or just the total for the decade of the book?
Chartaholic
Groupie
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017

Postby kingofskiffle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Chartaholic wrote:For a song that crosses decades, is the peak and weeks on chert the real peak and the real week on charts, or just the total for the decade of the book?
Hi,

For the Decade books it's just the peak and weeks for that decade.
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
User avatar
kingofskiffle
Superstar
 
Posts: 5975
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004
Location: On The Internet

Postby me » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:27 pm

kingofskiffle wrote:Some have asked for a printed copy of the book. I have found a way to produce limited quantities of the book, which will cost £30 plus postage and packaging to wherever you are.
If you have a PDF is very easy to produce the printed copy and you have nothing to do about expedition, address, country and so on. If you use the lulu.com as a print service.
italian charts: http://www.it-charts.it/ (old web site) http://www.italycharts.com/ (will be out on next months)
me
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 912
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004

Postby kingofskiffle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:31 pm

me wrote:
kingofskiffle wrote:Some have asked for a printed copy of the book. I have found a way to produce limited quantities of the book, which will cost £30 plus postage and packaging to wherever you are.
If you have a PDF is very easy to produce the printed copy and you have nothing to do about expedition, address, country and so on. If you use the lulu.com as a print service.
Interesting! Thanks for that. I shall investigate. I hadn't found them in my search.
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
User avatar
kingofskiffle
Superstar
 
Posts: 5975
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004
Location: On The Internet

Postby Woz1234 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:56 pm

jszmiles wrote:I adore this work Lonnie, well done!

I know this is almost impossible but I still wait for chart book with full charts and/or full chart runs of each decade (just like Zobbel did with some of the years) :oops:
Hi

Are you going to do a chart scan version of the full charts like "Joel Whitburn Presents The Billboard Hot 100 Charts" 1950s-2000s,
but UK version with scans from NME, Record Retailer & Music Week.
That's if you're got them.

The version I've seen is when DarkDaughter (Arts & Charts) posted NME 1953 Charts in PDF.
viewtopic.php?p=5775335#p5775335"

DarkDaughter seems to have done PDF version of them on Arts & Charts, but didn't go any further.
Last edited by Woz1234 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woz1234
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009

Postby kingofskiffle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Woz1234 wrote:
jszmiles wrote:I adore this work Lonnie, well done!

I know this is almost impossible but I still wait for chart book with full charts and/or full chart runs of each decade (just like Zobbel did with some of the years) :oops:
Hi

Are you going to do a chart scan version of the full charts like "Joel Whitburn Presents The Billboard Hot 100 Charts" 1950s-2000s,
but UK version with scans from NME, Record Retailer & Music Week.
That's if you're got them.

The version I've seen is when DarkDaughter (Arts & Charts) posted NME 1953 Charts in PDF.
viewtopic.php?p=5775335#p5775335" target="_blank" target="_blank"
No, not planning to do that at this point. I don't have good enough quality scans to do that.
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
User avatar
kingofskiffle
Superstar
 
Posts: 5975
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004
Location: On The Internet

Postby Woz1234 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:03 pm

kingofskiffle wrote:
Woz1234 wrote:
jszmiles wrote:I adore this work Lonnie, well done!

I know this is almost impossible but I still wait for chart book with full charts and/or full chart runs of each decade (just like Zobbel did with some of the years) :oops:
Hi

Are you going to do a chart scan version of the full charts like "Joel Whitburn Presents The Billboard Hot 100 Charts" 1950s-2000s,
but UK version with scans from NME, Record Retailer & Music Week.
That's if you're got them.

The version I've seen is when DarkDaughter (Arts & Charts) posted NME 1953 Charts in PDF.
viewtopic.php?p=5775335#p5775335"
No, not planning to do that at this point. I don't have good enough quality scans to do that.
Ok, fair enough.
Woz1234
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009

Postby RokinRobinOfLocksley » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:43 pm

King Lonnie,
I have 2 book ideas for you. I'm sure you've thought of these already...

ONE. I'd really, really like a chart book, by artist, with each charted record, shown with peak (and maybe total weeks) for all the 5 major UK (singles) charts plus the BBC, from 1952 thru 1969. Maybe split it into 50s and 60s books. Every record that appeared on any of those 6 charts would be included, whether it was a single, EP, or LP. Double sided, split sides, whatever. Plus I'd also like to see the bubbling records included. It'd kind of be like that Pop Music History Tiscali site, each record (on the left) would show peak positions across all UK charts (on the right). It would be incredible! OK, take it up to 1988 when NME and MM quit compiling their own charts.

TWO. I'd really, really like a chart book of weekly charts, with positions shown for all 5 major charts plus the BBC. Let's say you post the NME chart for each week, and off to the right of each record you show the weekly positions for all the other charts. Including bubblers. 1952 to 1969. A book per decade. OK, take this up to 1988, also.

These would be the cream of the chart books for me. The next best thing would be scans of all the charts, which would be too much work as you state above.

Cheers n chips...
User avatar
RokinRobinOfLocksley
Groupie
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013
Location: Richmond, Virginia, USA

Postby kingofskiffle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:07 pm

RokinRobinOfLocksley wrote:King Lonnie,
I have 2 book ideas for you. I'm sure you've thought of these already...

ONE. I'd really, really like a chart book, by artist, with each charted record, shown with peak (and maybe total weeks) for all the 5 major UK (singles) charts plus the BBC, from 1952 thru 1969. Maybe split it into 50s and 60s books. Every record that appeared on any of those 6 charts would be included, whether it was a single, EP, or LP. Double sided, split sides, whatever. Plus I'd also like to see the bubbling records included. It'd kind of be like that Pop Music History Tiscali site, each record (on the left) would show peak positions across all UK charts (on the right). It would be incredible! OK, take it up to 1988 when NME and MM quit compiling their own charts.

TWO. I'd really, really like a chart book of weekly charts, with positions shown for all 5 major charts plus the BBC. Let's say you post the NME chart for each week, and off to the right of each record you show the weekly positions for all the other charts. Including bubblers. 1952 to 1969. A book per decade. OK, take this up to 1988, also.

These would be the cream of the chart books for me. The next best thing would be scans of all the charts, which would be too much work as you state above.

Cheers n chips...
Number One is on my to do list... Number two wasn't, but it is a thought.... Interesting....
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
User avatar
kingofskiffle
Superstar
 
Posts: 5975
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004
Location: On The Internet

Postby Chartaholic » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:15 pm

Number two wasn't, but it is a thought.... Interesting....
That would be a fairly massive size book. Assuming a page a chart, that's 52 weeks times 6 charts per year. So over 300 pages per year. A decade book would be well over 3000 pages.

While you mostly do e-versions of books, that still pretty cumbersome to move around and read,
Chartaholic
Groupie
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017

Postby Shakyfan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Chartaholic wrote:
Number two wasn't, but it is a thought.... Interesting....
That would be a fairly massive size book. Assuming a page a chart, that's 52 weeks times 6 charts per year. So over 300 pages per year. A decade book would be well over 3000 pages.

While you mostly do e-versions of books, that still pretty cumbersome to move around and read,
You could do it with one chart published and then 5 columns on the right with the corresponding positions for the other charts. Any songs not in the first chart would be added below.
User avatar
Shakyfan
Manager
 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004

Postby Chartaholic » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:45 am

Shakyfan wrote:
Chartaholic wrote:
Number two wasn't, but it is a thought.... Interesting....
That would be a fairly massive size book. Assuming a page a chart, that's 52 weeks times 6 charts per year. So over 300 pages per year. A decade book would be well over 3000 pages.

While you mostly do e-versions of books, that still pretty cumbersome to move around and read,
You could do it with one chart published and then 5 columns on the right with the corresponding positions for the other charts. Any songs not in the first chart would be added below.
You could. Then you need to pick the main chart to use. Also that requires the user of the book to recreate the charts of the other publications charts. I think they takes away the whole value of such a book.

But that's just my view on it :)
Chartaholic
Groupie
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017

Postby Topicel » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:01 pm

I recommend the Lulu experience too Lonnie. Might be a hassle giving them a percentage though, lol.

Hope you're fine.

Topicel
Topicel
Manager
 
Posts: 2342
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007
Location: France

Postby Shakyfan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:42 pm

Chartaholic wrote:
Shakyfan wrote:
Chartaholic wrote:
Number two wasn't, but it is a thought.... Interesting....
That would be a fairly massive size book. Assuming a page a chart, that's 52 weeks times 6 charts per year. So over 300 pages per year. A decade book would be well over 3000 pages.

While you mostly do e-versions of books, that still pretty cumbersome to move around and read,
You could do it with one chart published and then 5 columns on the right with the corresponding positions for the other charts. Any songs not in the first chart would be added below.
You could. Then you need to pick the main chart to use. Also that requires the user of the book to recreate the charts of the other publications charts. I think they takes away the whole value of such a book.

But that's just my view on it :)
Looking at the post with the original suggestion that was what was being suggested.....

RokinRobinOfLocksley wrote: Every record that appeared on any of those 6 charts would be included, whether it was a single, EP, or LP. Double sided, split sides, whatever. Plus I'd also like to see the bubbling records included. It'd kind of be like that Pop Music History Tiscali site, each record (on the left) would show peak positions across all UK charts (on the right).
User avatar
Shakyfan
Manager
 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004

Postby Chartaholic » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:23 pm

RokinRobinOfLocksley wrote: Every record that appeared on any of those 6 charts would be included, whether it was a single, EP, or LP. Double sided, split sides, whatever. Plus I'd also like to see the bubbling records included. It'd kind of be like that Pop Music History Tiscali site, each record (on the left) would show peak positions across all UK charts (on the right).
[/quote]

I guess I misunderstood. I thought the initial request/idea was for a book that contained all the weekly charts, so that you could look at say week 1 in 1963 and see all the relevant charts for that week.

What RockinRovin suggests is a nook sorted by artist/song that shows peaks.

I don't have much interest in the latter. The former would get my money.
Chartaholic
Groupie
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017

Postby RokinRobinOfLocksley » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:15 pm

A picture is worth a thousand words, here's what I was trying to describe.

Idea One was for a book to show this, by artist, a list of all charted records, with peak positions for all 5 of the major charts plus the BBC average:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .The Beatles
NME . . . MM . . . Disc . . . RR . . . BBC (avg)
. 27 . . . . . 21 . . . . 24 . . . . 17 . . . . . . 24 . . . . . Love Me Do
. . 1 . . . . . . 1 . . . . . 1 . . . . . 2 . . . . . . . 1 . . . . . .Please Please Me
. . 1 . . . . . . 1 . . . . . 1 . . . . . 1 . . . . . . . 1 . . . . . .From Me To You
. . X . . . . . 38 . . . . . X . . . . 48 . . . . . . . X . . . . . .My Bonnie
. . 4 . . . . . . 2 . . . . . 3 . . . . . X . . . . . . . 3 . . . . . .Twist And Shout [EP]
. . 1 . . . . . . 1 . . . . . 1 . . . . . 1 . . . . . . . 1 . . . . . .She Loves You
. 24 . . . . . 19 . . . . . X . . . . . X . . . . . . 20 . . . . . Beatles No. 1 [EP]
. 17 . . . . . 14 . . . . 18 . . . . . X . . . . . . 17 . . . . . Beatles Hits [EP]
. 11 . . . . . . X . . . . . 9 . . . . . X . . . . . . 11 . . . . . With The Beatles [LP]
. . 1 . . . . . . 1 . . . . . 1 . . . . . 1 . . . . . . . 1 . . . . . .I Want To Hold Your Hand

And so on, and so on. Show all records that appeared on any of the charts, including bubblers/breakers. I didn’t include the Record Mirror column as they ceased their own charts in 1962 and started carrying Record Retailer instead. Maybe it would be more consistent to show all 6 columns on each page, even when some of the charts were defunct. Note that I've changed my mind, I now want all chart positions on the left, so they're all together and right up against the record title, so you don't have to glide your eyes all the way over to the right. Fab gear, groovy keen!

Go for it, King Lonnie!
User avatar
RokinRobinOfLocksley
Groupie
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013
Location: Richmond, Virginia, USA

Postby Robbie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:38 pm

^
something similar has already been done for the years 1949 to 1979 at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/popmusichistory/

At the bottom left of the page there are two links to all UK hits between those years listed by artist or by song with the peak position for each record on the NME, Guinness Book Of British Hit Singles, Record Mirror, Melody Maker (possibly only to 1969), Pop Weekly, Disc & Music Echo, and Sheet Music (1949 to circa 1960) charts along with the position each title reached on the USA (I'm assuming Billboard) chart. There's no listing for the BBC averaged charts unfortunately and the peaks on the Guinness charts repeats those of NME (to early 1960) and Record Mirror (from 1962 onwards). Record Retailer isn't listed but the peaks of records on the RR charts are the same as the peaks in Guinness from March 1960 onward.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/popmusichist ... Artist.htm

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/popmusichist ... 20Song.htm

The pages can only be viewed online, there isn't an option to easily download them as PDF files.
User avatar
Robbie
Superstar
 
Posts: 5360
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001
Location: Newcastle

Return to Chart Analysis