The Chart Book

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Would you buy a physical copy of my chart books?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Yes
78%
No
22%
I want an entire chart not a decade book for this option
No votes

Total votes : 9

Postby CatoFur » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Just had a quick look - seems very interesting. Many thanks.

Did Billboard have a chart for jazz albums as well?

Cato
CatoFur
Roadie

Postby kingofskiffle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:36 pm

CatoFur wrote:Just had a quick look - seems very interesting. Many thanks.

Cato
Your welcome. If there is interest I'll keep updating it.

They did have a Jazz albums chart. I have most of them and I'll be adding to the book eventually. In order I want to get the modern era before going back and adding Country and R&B. When I do add those I might alter the book format a little or try to, with an eye to space saving and readability. If I dont it will be mammoth!
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby CatoFur » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:54 pm

Oh wow. Sounds like a mammoth project. Good luck with it.

Cato
CatoFur
Roadie

Postby RokinRobinOfLocksley » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:07 pm

kingofskiffle wrote:An update:

I have just launched - for free - a book covering the Billboard Albums. Well, I say free I would like donations but you can download and keep. It is only current through mid 1963 and so I'll do more updates to it depending on interest. I'm listing Album Tracks but only for the ones I have and I encourage people to assist with the missing info, or where might find it typed and ready to copy. I am mining Discogs already. Equally, if you'd like any additions (Country and R&B Albums will be added in due course).

Information here http://thechartbook.co.uk/billboard.html

A book on the Melody Maker Singles (start to 1969) in production as well, with a target date of March when it will be available to buy.
KoS, how about a Billboard Pop Albums Annual? Kinda like Whtbrn's BB Singles Annual, records listed by year and peak position. BUT I'd really like to see this with a twist: a TRUE annual, showing the peak position of an album for every calendar year it appeared on the charts, not just one entry for the year it peaked. Some albums bounced around up and down over multiple years. A TRUE pop albums annual would reflect this, showing an album peak of every year. Whadaya think?
RokinRobinOfLocksley
Groupie

Postby kingofskiffle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:09 pm

RokinRobinOfLocksley wrote:KoS, how about a Billboard Pop Albums Annual? Kinda like Whtbrn's BB Singles Annual, records listed by year and peak position. BUT I'd really like to see this with a twist: a TRUE annual, showing the peak position of an album for every calendar year it appeared on the charts, not just one entry for the year it peaked. Some albums bounced around up and down over multiple years. A TRUE pop albums annual would reflect this, showing an album peak of every year. Whadaya think?
Thinking....
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby Chartaholic » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:00 am

kingofskiffle wrote:
CatoFur wrote:Just had a quick look - seems very interesting. Many thanks.

Cato
Your welcome. If there is interest I'll keep updating it.

They did have a Jazz albums chart. I have most of them and I'll be adding to the book eventually. In order I want to get the modern era before going back and adding Country and R&B. When I do add those I might alter the book format a little or try to, with an eye to space saving and readability. If I dont it will be mammoth!
Nice job on the album book! Thanks for doing it and offering it.

If there’s some research you need done on tracks, and think I can help, Fire me off an email. That way we can coordinate and me just not randomly send you info you already have.
Chartaholic
Groupie

Postby RokinRobinOfLocksley » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:06 pm

KoS, just in case I haven't mentioned it before, a UK Pop Singles Annual would be fab, too! Rank the records by year and peak position, and for good measure throw in extra columns on the left side showing the peaks on the other UK charts of the day (including the BBC average), say for at least the 50s and 60s. But it'd also be good to continue with the 70s and 80s until NME and MM ceased publishing their own charts.

A UK Pop Albums Annual would likewise be incredible !!

Cheers!
RokinRobinOfLocksley
Groupie

Postby kingofskiffle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:17 pm

It’s on my list as well. I need to get a few more years of the 1970’s done first
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby kingofskiffle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:38 am

kingofskiffle wrote:An update:

I have just launched - for free - a book covering the Billboard Albums. Well, I say free I would like donations but you can download and keep. It is only current through mid 1963 and so I'll do more updates to it depending on interest. I'm listing Album Tracks but only for the ones I have and I encourage people to assist with the missing info, or where might find it typed and ready to copy. I am mining Discogs already. Equally, if you'd like any additions (Country and R&B Albums will be added in due course).

Information here http://thechartbook.co.uk/billboard.html
The Billboard book has been updated, with thanks to Chartaholic. It includes up to December 1964 now and you can see the Beatles first year on the charts. I've changed layout a little to make it a bit more readable.

Do please comment and let me know what you think of the format and if anything should be changed - I want it readable!
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby Herby » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:26 am

Phantastic work, Lonnie! I'm looking forward to the extensions. Will you also include the Midline-, Top Pop Catalog-. Bubbling Under- and the shortlived Best Sellers On The Racks- and Best Selling Low Price LP's Album Charts? (The latter two i never found researched in a publication)

Best Wishes

Herby
Herby
Groupie

Postby kingofskiffle » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:51 am

Thanks, glad you like. Top Pop Catalogue, Midline and Bubbling Under definitely. Racks and Low Price I’m unsure about and the answer is no - for now. I have the scans of most of the charts and I want to add them as some of those did make it into Joel Whitburn book but it’s something for the future.

I’m currently going through year by year and checking and adding so I definitely want to make a nice book that does everything.
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby kjell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Impressive quality enhancement kingofskiffle has done with his new UK albums book compared to his predecessors. First with tracks added, breakers included and producers named. Real interesting to see that my favourite artists in fact had versions of nice songs that I wished for but didn’t know of. Seems I miss too many good LPs.
kjell
Groupie

Postby Topicel » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:02 pm

kingofskiffle wrote:
RokinRobinOfLocksley wrote:KoS, how about a Billboard Pop Albums Annual? Kinda like Whtbrn's BB Singles Annual, records listed by year and peak position. BUT I'd really like to see this with a twist: a TRUE annual, showing the peak position of an album for every calendar year it appeared on the charts, not just one entry for the year it peaked. Some albums bounced around up and down over multiple years. A TRUE pop albums annual would reflect this, showing an album peak of every year. Whadaya think?
Thinking....
Hi KoS, just to assist your thinking, it was only this weekend that I was musing how Whitburn should have done a Pop Albums Annual similar to the Pop Annual for singles (the first of his books I bought in, gulp, 1978...).

So as with RokinRobin, I'd be very interested in a similar approach year-by-year for the LP era at least, say 56-90? Of course Whitburn used a points system for the singles, which is arguably not possible for you either, but just thought I'd add my tuppence-worth. Hope you're keeping busy, lol.

Topicel
Topicel
Manager

Postby kingofskiffle » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:19 pm

I know how I’d do it basing it on the same type of formula as the Pop Annual book but limiting to calendar year to include Christmas related releasss. Points aren’t needed. It’s on my to do list.

The tricky bit is the 1969-1974 (?) era when multiple charts. How do they equate and so I may need to use points for that.
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby bat52390 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:44 pm

I have a questions, as someone compiling chart information with the hopes of publishing someday. [I have acquired most of the Eurochart Hot 100 Singles and Albums]

Did you have to pay for the rights or licensing for the chart information? I wouldn't want Billboard or Nielsen breathing down my neck at publishing charts for which they own the data.

AND for anyone, what kind of information are you looking for when looking at chart info?
Peak Date? Entry Date? Weeks On? Chart Runs? etc.
bat52390
Roadie

Postby kingofskiffle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:32 pm

I utilize freely available sources and make that clear. Also much of the data is massively historical. Have a look at the into to my recent Billboard Albums book and you will see what I mean. Equally, I am not publishing weekly charts as they really are the same as printed by the OCC or Billboard or others. An adaptation of the data is fine. Polyhex website was not targeted by the OCC because he lists Chart Runs while other websites that Lois Ted weekly charts where. Now, my own books list Weekly Charts for Disc and Record Mirror as they are hard to find. Other books will not partially as the OCC have them on their website but mostly as that really is a copy of copyright data.

Most books want Peak, Weeks, Artist, Title, Label, Catalgiue Number. The more data the more likely somebody is to buy it. For example, I have the Guinness Book of British Hit Singles. Somebody brings out a book listing all Producers and the same info I will buy as I want the Producers. So its about making your offering unique.

Good luck with the book.
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby shane2167 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:09 am

Hi topicel,
Could you please contact me regarding your posts,thanks
Shane2167
shane2167
Groupie

Postby kingofskiffle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:42 pm

I have created two things which can allow people - I hope - to add album trac listings to my database.

Below is a Google Form

https://goo.gl/forms/5TLSmStCqZkeHyvV2

That allows you to locate the track listing on Discogs (or similar), copy just the section containing Track Number, Title, Duration (if shown) and paste and then also add a Prodrucer Credit if known.

You also add the track ID so I know I have the right album.

With over 30,000 albums needing track details added I can do this myself, and will, but it helps if others wish to - and have the time - can do something to assist.

One thing is needed - a Track ID.

Below is a link to a Google Document listing the album title, artist, entry date, peak, label, weeks and Track ID. Only listed are ones I am missing.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_lYwEycj1rgpnoWG3h00XPD4D6koiS2ebBlu33splMY/edit?usp=sharing

If you do not have much time, just locate one entry. You can get your name in the free book.
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby kingofskiffle » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:20 pm

The Billboard book has been updated, with thanks to Herby. It includes up to December 1966 now.

I had included the Country Albums for 1964 in the last version, but these have been removed. I think they where included by accident.

Do please comment and let me know what you think of the format and if anything should be changed - I want it readable!
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby Chartaholic » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:38 am

kingofskiffle wrote:I have created two things which can allow people - I hope - to add album trac listings to my database.

Below is a Google Form

https://goo.gl/forms/5TLSmStCqZkeHyvV2

That allows you to locate the track listing on Discogs (or similar), copy just the section containing Track Number, Title, Duration (if shown) and paste and then also add a Prodrucer Credit if known.

You also add the track ID so I know I have the right album.

With over 30,000 albums needing track details added I can do this myself, and will, but it helps if others wish to - and have the time - can do something to assist.

One thing is needed - a Track ID.

Below is a link to a Google Document listing the album title, artist, entry date, peak, label, weeks and Track ID. Only listed are ones I am missing.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_lYwEycj1rgpnoWG3h00XPD4D6koiS2ebBlu33splMY/edit?usp=sharing

If you do not have much time, just locate one entry. You can get your name in the free book.
If I May add...

A tip for anyone doing this.

The file that contains the Track ID lists the label and catalog number,

When you are on Discogs, select that version. This will give you the track times. As most of the generic all version page does not give times.

Added bonus it gives the tracks for the US version in those

Enjocases a foreign version flipped tracks or changed a song.

Enjoy!
Chartaholic
Groupie

Postby kingofskiffle » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:17 pm

I’ve added a poll to the top of this topic. I’d like your views on producing a physical chart book. It would be identical but with page numbers and would be either staplered or glued based on page count. Otherwise identical books.

Note - this is not that I AM going to do this. Only I am concidering options. Based on your thoughts.

Poll closes in ten days.
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby Swampy61 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:52 am

kingofskiffle wrote:I’ve added a poll to the top of this topic. I’d like your views on producing a physical chart book. It would be identical but with page numbers and would be either staplered or glued based on page count. Otherwise identical books.

Note - this is not that I AM going to do this. Only I am concidering options. Based on your thoughts.

Poll closes in ten days.
I'm happy with the pdf copies of your books - they are much easier for me to access as I have all my chart data stored on a hard drive attached to my laptop.

Keep the chart books coming - really appreciate all your hard work.

Andy
Swampy61
Groupie

Postby kingofskiffle » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:01 am

Billboard Albums Update!

I have just uploaded a new version of the Billboard Albums book. No new charts, so it still ends on 31 Dec 1966, but it does have many more album tracks. And I mean MANY more. Huge thanks to Iain Moffat who has been using the form here, above, to add tracks from, mostly, 1960. That means almost all of 1960 is now done. Tracks have also been added by others, including Herby, who has been invaluable, so we now have all tracks up to January 1956. I have also been checking more entries and have now reached 1970, just need to sort out the artist sorting to get them all in the right place.

Do please let me know if you spot any errors.
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby kingofskiffle » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:05 am

Swampy61 wrote:
kingofskiffle wrote:I’ve added a poll to the top of this topic. I’d like your views on producing a physical chart book. It would be identical but with page numbers and would be either staplered or glued based on page count. Otherwise identical books.

Poll closes in ten days.
I'm happy with the pdf copies of your books - they are much easier for me to access as I have all my chart data stored on a hard drive attached to my laptop.

Andy
Thanks and I will be doing just that. I think some do appreciate a hard copy, as that option seems to be winning. I think I will do PDF only until I have reached the current decade, and then produce a book, similar to Joel Whitburn, which is one version of everything. That would be expensive though and would be very much print on demand.

Equally though I do have one book in mind which I do intend to do as a proper Hardback book. My hope for thats by the end of the year.
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby Swampy61 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:33 am

kingofskiffle wrote:
Swampy61 wrote:

Poll closes in ten days.

Andy
Thanks and I will be doing just that. I think some do appreciate a hard copy, as that option seems to be winning. I think I will do PDF only until I have reached the current decade, and then produce a book, similar to Joel Whitburn, which is one version of everything. That would be expensive though and would be very much print on demand.

Equally though I do have one book in mind which I do intend to do as a proper Hardback book. My hope for thats by the end of the year.
I would like to see a chart comparison book covering the UK singles charts - minimum of official charts plus NME and Melody Maker (maybe others too) - similar to the book produced by Joel Whitburn
Swampy61
Groupie

Return to Chart Analysis