Billboard C&W Charts (from the beginning)

Moderator: kingofskiffle

Postby DrTravel » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:26 pm

So here are all the C&W charts and chart runs for 1944-1958 including Juke Box, Disc Jockeys and Best Sellers;

http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/fkYAPH71/file.html

Still need to verify the following charts:

April 7, 1951 The Disc Jockey chart
May 5, 1951 The Best Seller chart
August 12, 1957 The Best Seller and Disc Jockey chart

Hopefully someone has them
DrTravel
Roadie

Postby Swampy61 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:02 pm

DrTravel wrote:So here are all the C&W charts and chart runs for 1944-1958 including Juke Box, Disc Jockeys and Best Sellers;

http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/fkYAPH71/file.html

Still need to verify the following charts:

April 7, 1951 The Disc Jockey chart
May 5, 1951 The Best Seller chart
August 12, 1957 The Best Seller and Disc Jockey chart

Hopefully someone has them
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing
Swampy61
Groupie

Postby BrainDamageII » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 pm

Thanks as always for everything you share. It is truly appreciated.
BrainDamageII
Legend

Postby DrTravel » Sun May 07, 2017 2:15 am

All C&W charts up to then end of June, 1973 plus all chart runs for songs that peaked 1944-1972:

http://www101.zippyshare.com/v/JPQlonMJ/file.html

PS no missing charts...back to the Music Vendor project
DrTravel
Roadie

Postby DrTravel » Wed May 17, 2017 6:09 pm

All C&W charts up to then end of December, 1987 plus all chart runs for songs that peaked 1944-1986:

http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/KXlGKvnq/file.html

Note that billboard.biz only list the Top 75 for the charts for 1973-1989 even though the chart was a Top 100. Plus they had many errors = typos, incorrect labels, and issues with ' and & characters (It s instead of It's, Joe instead of Joe & Some).
DrTravel
Roadie

Postby DrTravel » Sat May 27, 2017 5:48 pm

All C&W charts up to the end of July, 2005 plus all chart runs for songs that peaked 1944-2004:

http://www111.zippyshare.com/v/TI91Zmnq/file.html

61 years down, "only" 12 more to go
DrTravel
Roadie

Postby kingofskiffle » Sat May 27, 2017 6:21 pm

DrTravel wrote:All C&W charts up to the end of July, 2005 plus all chart runs for songs that peaked 1944-2004:

http://www111.zippyshare.com/v/TI91Zmnq/file.html

61 years down, "only" 12 more to go
Thanks so much for this. Amazed at how quickly your doing this!
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby trebor » Tue May 30, 2017 11:09 am

DrTravel wrote:All C&W charts up to the end of July, 2005 plus all chart runs for songs that peaked 1944-2004:
Huge thanks! (literally like, HUGE)!
Was eventually able to fill in the missing data! :D
Very grateful!
trebor
Legend

Postby DrTravel » Tue May 30, 2017 7:53 pm

All C&W charts up to the current chart! Plus all chart runs for songs that peaked 1944-2016:

http://www97.zippyshare.com/v/tOaTw77f/file.html

That's a wrap for this project - at least until the next yearly update.
DrTravel
Roadie

Postby Borobear » Tue May 30, 2017 11:37 pm

Just want to add my thanks for such a tremendous piece of work. It is much appreciated!
Borobear
Groupie

Postby RonnieV » Wed May 31, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks DrTravel for this great (and huge) piece of work!
RonnieV
Groupie

Postby trebor » Wed May 31, 2017 2:57 pm

@DrTravel
15.01.2000 45 63 63 3 She's More Andy Griggs RCA 65936
It's a Re-Entry. (Garth Brooks was at #63 the week before; Andy Griggs was #61 two weeks' prior)
trebor
Legend

Postby BrainDamageII » Wed May 31, 2017 3:12 pm

DrTravel wrote:All C&W charts up to the current chart! Plus all chart runs for songs that peaked 1944-2016:
Fantastic

Can't believe how quickly you do all this.

You have my utmost admiration and respect for sharing
BrainDamageII
Legend

Postby kjell » Wed May 31, 2017 5:38 pm

Amazing! All main BB charts including chartruns for pop, country and soul in just months. RW pop on the same layout. I'm profoundly impressed while waiting for RW & CB country and soul completion. I've been watching charts since the summer of 62, and this is without comparison. DT and his group are really making a headway in the US charts that it's impossible to supersede.
kjell
Groupie

Postby DrTravel » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:17 pm

trebor wrote:@DrTravel
15.01.2000 45 63 63 3 She's More Andy Griggs RCA 65936
It's a Re-Entry. (Garth Brooks was at #63 the week before; Andy Griggs was #61 two weeks' prior)
All fixed plus the 22.01.2000 listing for this song.

Given the size and scope of this project - it's impossible to achieve perfection although I try my hardest. Corrections are always welcome.
DrTravel
Roadie

Postby DrTravel » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:30 pm

kjell wrote:Amazing! All main BB charts including chartruns for pop, country and soul in just months. RW pop on the same layout. I'm profoundly impressed while waiting for RW & CB country and soul completion. I've been watching charts since the summer of 62, and this is without comparison. DT and his group are really making a headway in the US charts that it's impossible to supersede.
Will finish up the 1963 Music Vendor charts in the next couple of days - including the "Looking Up" charts, their bubbling unders. That will finish up the Music Vendor charts! Remember they changed the name to Record World in 1964. Record Research will be publishing chart books (two volumes) for the 1964-1982 Record World Top 100. The Music Vendor charts are extremely rare. So far just missing one Top 100 chart from 1959 and a couple of Looking Ahead charts.

The funny thing is that I do not listen to country or soul music. Stopped listening to pop music in the mid 70's and switch permanently to rock. I'm not familiar with most songs on these spreadsheets.
DrTravel
Roadie

Postby trebor » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:00 pm

DrTravel wrote:Given the size and scope of this project - it's impossible to achieve perfection although I try my hardest. Corrections are always welcome.
My remark was by no means intended to be regarded as critic or negative in any sense.
Was coincidentally working on that time frame and immediately spotted this minor oversight.
Again, all my respect for your huge work! :D
trebor
Legend

Postby DrTravel » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:50 pm

trebor wrote:
DrTravel wrote:Given the size and scope of this project - it's impossible to achieve perfection although I try my hardest. Corrections are always welcome.
My remark was by no means intended to be regarded as critic or negative in any sense.
Was coincidentally working on that time frame and immediately spotted this minor oversight.
Again, all my respect for your huge work! :D
No negativity felt on my part - corrections are always WELCOME.
DrTravel
Roadie

Postby Swampy61 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:48 am

Great work Dr. T and much appreciated.

I look forward to the completion of the Cashbox C&W and RnB charts.

What next ? any chance of taking a look at the album charts?
Swampy61
Groupie

Postby DrTravel » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:02 am

Here's a conversation with Record Research's Paul Haney

Q: Paul, in a recent Billboard podcast, Joel hinted that he was considering some
major changes to the Country Songs books moving forward.

Because all the flagship genre charts are moving so slowly these days (An
example being that Sam Hunt's song is currently #1 for the 34th week), Joel was
pondering incorporating airplay chart positions as well.

Wondering if you guys have reached a decision on this, as so many key charts are
affected by the slow turnover (now that they are essentially genre—specific
distillations of the Hot 100).

I for one would be against it, but sadly, I am not a Record Research employee!!

A: We have been discussing this very subject recently. One of the biggest complaints about the previous edition was that we started using the so-called "hybrid" chart and totally dropped the Airplay chart. Looks like we'll be going with the Country Airplay numbers as the "main" numbers, but we will also show the hybrid chart numbers as well (probably off to one side). In the rare case where a title made the hybrid chart, but not the airplay chart, then that number would be shown as the "main" number. Hopefully we will have a new edition ready by mid-2018 or so.

The "hybrid" chart he is referring to is called "Hot Country Songs" while the Country Airplay charts is only available on-line and not published in the weekly magazine.
DrTravel
Roadie

Postby kingofskiffle » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:34 am

Interesting. I wonder what this would do for purists? Personally I have never liked that Joel combines various charts and positions to make up his book details. Listing airplay as well seems reasonable but not to my mind as the main entry.
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby kjell » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:27 am

Since records became an obsession in 1962 the true hit has been decided by which records we the public have been willing to pay for to get hold of. Airplay has been connected with the record companies tries to direct our tastes in their direction. To me the hit is still what we record fans want. I completely agree with kingofskiffle.
kjell
Groupie

Postby DrTravel » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:26 pm

I think the main issue with the "Hot Country Songs" chart (and with other genre-specific charts as well) is that since October 20, 2012 their Airplay component (which is combined with sales, streaming etc. to generate the chart) does not come from the genre-specific Country Airplay chart which measures airplay from COUNTRY stations, but rather the overall airplay chart universe which measures airplay from all formats. This means that the the Country Songs charts is considerably affected by the major contributors to overall airplay, i.e. the CHR/Top 40 radio stations. (CHR=Contemporary Hit Radio) which is not directly related to country airplay. On the 10/20/2012 Hot Country Songs chart Taylor Swift was the immediate benefactor as her songs zoomed up the charts even though by then she had definitely transformed from a country artist to a pop artist. Country chart followers must have been in shock. But maybe not as much as Rap chart followers when PSY "Gangnam Style" became the #1 song in the land. Talk about a WTF moment!

Consider "Cruise" by Florida-Georgia Line. The song hit #1 and was headed down the country charts until the remix version with Nelly came out. The song returned to #1 for a lengthy stay because the remix version became very popular on non-country radio stations. Their airplay was incorporated into the Hot Country Songs chart even though the country stations airplay was waning. So in the Country universe the song was on a downward trend but on the chart it was #1 for three more months! Interesting on the Hot 100 the song artist was now listed as Florida-Georgia Line featuring Nelly, however the artist was always listed as just Florida-Georgia Line on both the Hot Country Songs and Country Airplay charts. For the record, Nelly never charted on the country charts. Obviously Billboard's methodology is wrong here for genre-specific charts but I think we can pick apart every Billboard chart.
Last edited by DrTravel on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrTravel
Roadie

Postby kjell » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Your deeper insight sheds light on the underlying problems. There's obviously need for restructuring the charts bases, but I'm not overly optimistic regarding the future since a quality secured outcome demands effort and costs money. When did this occurrence take place?
kjell
Groupie

Postby Chartaholic » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:22 am

DrTravel wrote:I think the main issue with the "Hot Country Songs" chart (and with other genre-specific charts as well) is that since October 20, 2012 their Airplay component (which is combined with sales, streaming etc. to generate the chart) does not come from the genre-specific Country Airplay chart which measures airplay from COUNTRY stations, but rather the overall airplay chart universe which measures airplay from all formats. This means that the the Country Songs charts is considerably affected by the major contributors to overall airplay, i.e. the CHR/Top 40 radio stations. (CHR=Contemporary Hit Radio) which is not directly related to country airplay. On the 10/20/2012 Hot Country Songs chart Taylor Swift was the immediate benefactor as her songs zoomed up the charts even though by then she had definitely transformed from a country artist to a pop artist. Country chart followers must have been in shock. But maybe not as much as Rap chart followers when PSY "Gangnam Style" became the #1 song in the land. Talk about a WTF moment!

Consider "Cruise" by Florida-Georgia Line. The song hit #1 and was headed down the country charts until the remix version with Nelly came out. The song returned to #1 for a lengthy stay because the remix version became very popular on non-country radio stations. Their airplay was incorporated into the Hot Country Songs chart even though the country stations airplay was waning. So in the Country universe the song was on a downward trend but on the chart it was #1 for three more months! Interesting on the Hot 100 the song artist was now listed as Florida-Georgia Line featuring Nelly, however the artist was always listed as just Florida-Georgia Line on both the Hot Country Songs and Country Airplay charts. For the record, Nelly never charted on the country charts. Obviously Billboard's methodology is wrong here for genre-specific charts but I think we can pick apart every Billboard chart.
True. I will add though that this affects such a small percent of songs. Only those songs that do manage to cross over are affected. However, it seems worse than it really is because mostly only the biggest genre songs will cross over, making them bigger. But it is like 1 percent of songs a year.
Chartaholic
Groupie

Return to Chart Analysis