UK Chart Changes: Youtube added, Paid (100:1), Free (600:1)

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby Biebz » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:26 pm

Last edited by Biebz on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh god miss u on my lips, It’s me ur little Venice bitchhhh
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby Wayne » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:27 pm

Oh NO. :cry:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:31 pm

Listen this still doesn't help Kylie.
How about you Get the F*** Out.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby setg1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:44 pm

Good news! :D I've always wondered why Spotify and such are included but YouTube isn't. It makes no sense to me to include streaming but exclude one of the largest streaming services (either #1 or #2, depending on the country). I hope this happens in other countries too.
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby Robbie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:48 pm

I had to do a check to make sure this wasn't a late April Fools joke. And it is sort of isn't. The streams that will be included are from YouTube's new streaming service, which will be a subscription service, which is akin to Spotify and Apple Music. Normal (and free) YouTube plays won't be included.
Robbie
Superstar

Postby theMathematician » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:26 pm

Aren't the news always saying that Western countries keep getting older due to low birth rates and increasing life expectancies? Will we see senior citizens streaming the hottest stuff (by Michael Bublé, Susan Boyle or Josh Groban) on You Tube in the near future? I somehow can't see this happening... So much for thinking future-oriented!
theMathematician
Groupie

Postby Gambo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:30 am

Robbie wrote:I had to do a check to make sure this wasn't a late April Fools joke. And it is sort of isn't. The streams that will be included are from YouTube's new streaming service, which will be a subscription service, which is akin to Spotify and Apple Music. Normal (and free) YouTube plays won't be included.
I can't find an article about this; so am I right in interpreting this as inclusion of YouTube audio streams but not video?

This is of course critical to determine, for many of us recognise the clear distinction between consuming a musical recording aurally as opposed to visually/aurally. The latter is done because it is of interest to the consumer either because of the video clip, the sound clip, or possibly both - but not necessarily. It offers potentially two separate, albeit linked, products, and I believe expanding the mainstream chart beyond measuring consumption of aural media is a step too far. It would render it a music and video chart, not just music. Adding rented audio streams alongside traditional paid-for sales has had its complications, but its saving grace is that it at least still is a measure of only listening to a song, not watching an associated video film which is a totally different medium. I still really hope they never go down that road as they did in the US some years back, but one has to fear that they will in years to come, given the OCC's apparent alacrity to incorporate wider measures of popular appeal around a song, as well just the recording itself.
Gambo
Manager

Postby Robbie » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Apparently it's going to be £12.99 per month to subscribe which sounds a bit expensive to me. I had read in Music Week last month that Vevo were pulling out of providing videos to YouTube - no wonder, if YT are charging a fortune for their own service. I can't see the appeal of paying £12.99 per month to get the same service which I currently get for free and thanks to AdBlock with no adverts either. Unless of course YouTube are about to pull the plug on their free service...
Robbie
Superstar

Postby ferrero » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:12 pm

Could this be the year that..
ferrero
Manager

Postby trebor » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:26 pm

Robbie wrote: [...] I had read in Music Week last month that Vevo were pulling out of providing videos to YouTube - no wonder, [...]
vevo are shutting down their consumer service and apps.
It was reported that their content would still be available on YouTube for the moment being. (Whatever that "for the moment being" means).
Sorry for not having a link at hand.
trebor
Legend

Postby Robbie » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:55 pm

Last edited by Robbie on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie
Superstar

Postby Robbie » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Further news: James Masterton has posted on Facebook that there is going to be a big announcement on Monday morning and on his website he has posted the following:

We are marching towards the reveal of some significant chart news, but although plenty of rumours abound nothing is being officially revealed until Monday morning. I'm bound to secrecy too until then, sorry.
https://chart-watch.uk/index.php/week-e ... -28th-2018

It surely has to be about YouTube and James hasn't denied it when someone posted a reply to him on Facebook suggesting it could be to do with YouTube.

https://www.facebook.com/chartupdate/

I'm assuming the Monday reveal is so that Music Week can run the story as an exclusive when it is published that morning. We'll find out on Monday what it is all about.
Robbie
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:21 pm

If it's YouTube's new streaming service then fine, no different to Spotify or Apple Music.

If it's that video views will be included like America, then this just exacerbates the situation of the charts being condensed into a collection of songs by a small pool of artists, or we have songs like This Is America going to #1 based on the video and little to do with the music.
Thriller

Postby JakeP » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:31 pm

Thriller wrote:If it's YouTube's new streaming service then fine, no different to Spotify or Apple Music.

If it's that video views will be included like America, then this just exacerbates the situation of the charts being condensed into a collection of songs by a small pool of artists, or we have songs like This Is America going to #1 based on the video and little to do with the music.
My worry is that all the popular songs on Spotify (mostly by rappers) will end up releasing big budget music videos so not only will they be the most streamed songs, but also the most viewed videos rendering the charts even more boring and pointless than they have become in the last 2 years. :roll:

However, if it means that a song like Ashes by Céline Dion could make the UK top 10 thanks to the music video getting over a million UK views then i'm totally in favour. :P

Sadly i do suspect this announcement will result in american and canadian rappers becoming even more dominant than they already are whilst other genres will struggle even more. :roll:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Robbie » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:38 pm

Official Singles Chart to add video, upgrade premium streams in major revamp

by Mark Sutherland

The Official Singles Chart is changing again, Music Week can reveal. Starting from Friday, video consumption will be included in the chart, while subscription and ad-funded streams will now be weighted at different rates.

The chart dated July 6 will be the first to include streams and downloads of official music videos, from services such as YouTube, Apple Music, Spotify and Tidal. The latter three services have added video streaming in recent months. YouTube, meanwhile, launched its long-awaited audio/video subscription service in the UK last week. Unofficial or user-generated content featuring music will not count towards the chart.

In the other big move, The Official Charts Company will change its sales:streams ratio for subscription and ad-funded streams. Until now, both have counted towards the chart at the rate of one sale equalling 150 streams, but from the July 6 chart, the premium rate will be 1:100, while the free rate will rise to 1:600. Video streams will count towards the chart at the same rates.

The OCC stressed that the new moves have been approved after lengthy consultation with all areas of the industry. It follows several European charts eliminating ad-funded streams from their charts altogether, while the US chart recently downgraded them against premium streams. The moves have also been backed by artists, including Dua Lipa (pictured).

“This is a significant step for the UK and ensures The Official Chart continues to be the most comprehensive and trusted chart in the UK, bar none,” said Official Charts Company chief executive Martin Talbot of the video changes. “In the modern era, artists are increasingly multi-faceted creators, with a highly developed visual sense running in parallel with their music. The addition of video ensures that the Official Singles Chart reflects the creativity of the artist in the broadest way possible – and music fans’ engagement with that vision.”

OCC non-executive chairman and Warner Music UK SVP, commercial, Derek Allen added: “It’s always been important that the Official Charts keep pace with an ever-evolving and dynamic market, while also retaining their integrity, something which has set the UK charts apart from many of those operating elsewhere around the world. These latest changes are just another step down that road.”

It’s the second major chart revamp in the last 12 months, following June 2017’s introduction of a cap on the number of tracks by a lead artist allowed in the chart and an increased sales:streams rate for tracks in long-term decline. Music Week research showed the move had successfully produced more hits and sped up the chart, with the OCC hoping today’s moves will have a similar effect and help further boost new music breakthroughs.

The changes will not affect the Albums Chart. The OCC will also be producing a new Official Video Streaming Chart from now on.

© Music Week
Robbie
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:49 pm

I greatly support upweighting free streams.

I like that the U.K. chart doesn’t stand still but changing it twice in a rolling year is verging on pointless.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby JakeP » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:36 pm

Wayne wrote:I greatly support upweighting free streams.
Me too. :D

Shape of you might finally drop out of the top 100 whilst The greatest showman might spend its final week at #1 this Friday. I'm fairly convinced these two especially have benefitted hugely from Spotify free user accounts. The same applies to all the urban rap and UK grime music. Maybe the charts will finally have a counter-balance and other genres might actually get a look in.

A UK chart that is 90% urban is not my idea of the perfect chart...unless of course its 90% amazing urban music but imo a lot of it is tuneless garbage. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby KokoCollino » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:57 pm

It’s fine but the German system, measuring the actual value of a stream, is still the best.
Looks like I found my way home
KokoCollino
Superstar

Postby Robbie » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:21 pm

JakeP wrote:
Wayne wrote:I greatly support upweighting free streams.
Me too. :D

Shape of you might finally drop out of the top 100 whilst The greatest showman might spend its final week at #1 this Friday. I'm fairly convinced these two especially have benefitted hugely from Spotify free user accounts. The same applies to all the urban rap and UK grime music. Maybe the charts will finally have a counter-balance and other genres might actually get a look in.

A UK chart that is 90% urban is not my idea of the perfect chart...unless of course its 90% amazing urban music but imo a lot of it is tuneless garbage. :lol:
The changes will only affect the singles chart which means that 'The Greatest Showman' will most likely still remain at number 1 well into July!
Robbie
Superstar

Postby Biebz » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:04 pm

Massive changes! Can't wait for the new chart! I remember how crazy it was listening to the charts when they first added streaming and also back when the ratio was changed. Songs flying all over the place :lol:
Oh god miss u on my lips, It’s me ur little Venice bitchhhh
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby Goldmoney » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:08 pm

The chart can’t get any worse...
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby BoroButch » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:09 pm

By Rob Copsey

The UK’s Official Singles Chart enters a new era this summer, with video counting towards the weekly rundown for the first time, the Official Charts Company can confirm.

Streaming and downloading of videos from artists such as Dua Lipa, Drake, Arctic Monkeys and Ariana Grande will count towards the UK’s only official singles countdown, which is compiled by the Official Charts Company and unveiled by BBC Radio 1 every Friday afternoon. The change will be effective from the chart published on July 6.

The change comes as services such as Apple Music and Spotify add video to their platform and as YouTube launches their first subscription service in the UK.

While Ed Sheeran claimed the UK’s biggest music video of 2017 overall with Shape Of You, the iconic video for Dua Lipa’s New Rules nabs the title of most streamed video by a female artist, notching up 60 million UK streams.

"Can you believe it? I can’t!" Dua said of New Rules' success. "Thank you for all your love and support, it means the absolute world to me. The response to New Rules was so crazy and I am so grateful for it. Video was really important to me in my career - it’s another way as artists that we can get our music to our fans."

Talking at a Years & Years shoot in East London, Olly Alexander welcomed the introduction of video: “For artists like us it’s a great thing. Videos give us a chance to make a statement and it’s great if that is taken into account in the Official Singles Chart. When I think about our music I think about it visually too - it’s another opportunity to get our message across.”

The addition of video streams is designed to ensure the chart remains a showcase for hit music, however music fans choose to access it. The Official Singles Chart will continue to be the only official and most comprehensive countdown in the UK market, reflecting sales of downloads, CD and vinyl, as well as streams of audio or video tracks, whether on premium subscription or ad-funded services.

The services which will contribute video streams to the chart will include Apple Music, Spotify, YouTube Music and Tidal, who have all added video to their platform over the past year.

Official Charts Company chief executive, Martin Talbot, said: “This is a significant step for the UK and ensures The Official Chart continues to be the most comprehensive and trusted chart in the UK, bar none. Consumption of recorded music via more than 15,000 retailers, download stores and streaming services of all kinds contribute to the weekly chart countdown.

“In the modern era, artists are increasingly multi-faceted creators, with a highly developed visual sense running in parallel with their music. The addition of video ensures that the Official Singles Chart reflects the creativity of the artist in the broadest way possible – and music fans’ engagement with that vision.”

Official Charts Company non-executive chairman Derek Allen (svp commercial for Warner Music UK) added: "It’s always been important that the Official Charts keep pace with an ever evolving and dynamic market, while also retaining their integrity, something which has set the UK charts apart from many of those operating elsewhere around the world. These latest changes are just another step down that road.”
The Official Singles Chart's new rules

In a parallel change, free ad-funded streams will be weighted at a different rate in the UK’s Official Singles Chart compared to streams played under a paid-for subscription from the July 6 chart. 100 streams via a subscription service will equate to one sale, as will 600 “free” streams. This replaces the current combined conversion rate, which means all streams are treated equally – with one sale equivalent to 150 streams. This will apply to both video and audio streams equally.

The new rules will also apply to the Irish singles chart - read the full announcement here.

The change is being made during a period of great change in the international music market, with markets such as France, Germany, Spain and Italy choosing not to count ad-funded streams at all in their charts, while Billboard has also downrated ad-funded streams against their premium counterparts.

© The Official UK Charts Company 2018
BoroButch
Manager

Postby Blondini » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:32 pm

Robbie wrote:The chart dated July 6 will be the first to include streams and downloads of official music videos, from services such as YouTube, Apple Music, Spotify and Tidal. The latter three services have added video streaming in recent months. YouTube, meanwhile, launched its long-awaited audio/video subscription service in the UK last week. Unofficial or user-generated content featuring music will not count towards the chart.

So it's not subscription only. That did seem totally pointless to me because the price is extortionate. BIB: avoids the likes of Harlem Shake dominating with the endless short video clips by users.

I do most of my music listening from YouTube so it's great. More and more audio streams are posted there by artists and labels.

The ratio changes are interesting. One day they might get it right. :lol:
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:38 pm

Thriller wrote:If it's YouTube's new streaming service then fine, no different to Spotify or Apple Music.

That's basically what happened anyway - the video was 99% of the reason it charted. Strangely - in recent months YouTube has had less impact on the Billboard charts than it did when it was first introduced. The YouTube chart on Billboard is full of reggaeton / latin tracks and even the likes of Taylor and Selena that get huge video views barely make an impact on the main Billboard chart. They must have changed their methods of calculation.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby SummerPeur » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:45 am

sorry this ratio is for only singles?

or is there an album ratio as well?
How about you Get the F*** Out.
SummerPeur
Legend

Return to Chart Analysis