Chart Analysis Rules and Guidelines

Moderator: kingofskiffle

Postby matthew_dixon » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:34 pm

Hi all,

The general rules of the forum are listed here, however...

owing to the uniqueness of the Chart Analysis forum, I feel that as a moderator we need a few more Chart Analysis specific rules and guidelines. Think of these as clarifications of some of the rules you agreed to abide by when you joined, together with some polite requests to help the forum run smoothly. I've discussed these with the admin team and the other moderators, and from what I can see, they're what most sane regular posters here want as well.
  • Do not post midweek charts - as we have been specifically asked not to by the Official Charts Company.
  • Remember there are forums other than Chart Analysis. If you're talking about something other than an artist's chart positions or sales figures please use the correct forum.
  • Please don't start a thread entitled "Who is the greatest, ____ or ____" as it will only turn into an argument. We've seen enough of them go pearshaped to know that.
  • If you're posting/requesting sales figures for an artist, please check that there isn't already a topic in existance for that artist. That way you can find out the information you require without starting yet another sales thread. Oh, and please try and refrain from starting separate ones for separate albums/singles - one per artist is really more than enough.
  • Remember to abide by the UKMIX rules you signed up to when you joined - Chart Analysis still forms part of the UKMIX forums. These include rules stating you should not be abusive towards other members and is equally effective if you're a regular round here or you're new to these parts.
  • It is however acceptable to say bad things about a musician (so long as this is not done deliberately to antagonise the fans of that artist) and this is not suitable excuse for being rude in return about the person who made such comments.
  • If you're posting sales figures then please try to make sure you post correct ones. Don't deliberately post inflated ones for your favourite artist (or deflated ones for your least favourite artist for that matter) as it only causes needless conflict.
  • Oh, and don't start up a thread for the sole aim of increasing the number of threads in existance for your favourite artist. If you're a fan of a certain artist and want to express your interest in them, there's bound to be a suitable topic about in the Genre Junction.
  • New topics must only be opened by posters that are able to regularly update the first page with the relevant chart data/sales.
  • Under no circumstances should an entire chart, chart article, or lengthy user text, be quoted; instead, please ensure you quote only the selection of text you are directly responding to.
  • Oh, and finally, the two fundamental principles the forum rules are set up on - be nice and have fun
As this topic is for information purposes and I want it to remain clear and concise, I'm locking it. Any other rules anyone feels need applying or any rules anyone thinks are unfair, please direct to myself via private message and I will consider what you have to say.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby matthew_dixon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:09 pm

This topic has been updated with a link to the new Forum Rules and Guidance. Please can everyone take a read of this.

Many thanks,

Matthew
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby matthew_dixon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:29 pm

Okay - we're going to have a trial of relaxing one of the above rules.

For now, midweeks can be discussed, as long as it is only information that has been made public - such as the OCC's midweek report, or the Radio 1 Midweek Chart Update. Please do not post full midweek charts or sales figures or anything else that's not publically available.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Wayne » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:10 am

Rules updated with new rule...
    i. New topics must only be opened by posters that are able to regularly update the first page with the relevant chart data/sales
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:31 am

Just recently, there has been a noticeable spike in users who are choosing to quote lengthy chart articles, user opinions or even entire charts themselves. This isn't acceptable forum etiquette generally speaking, and it most certainly makes topics in Chart Analysis much more difficult to read, and much more frustrating to navigate for those that frequent the section regularly. Therefore, with immediate effect, the following rule is to be introduced...
  • Under no circumstances should an entire chart, chart article, or lengthy user text, be quoted; instead, please ensure you quote only the selection of text you are directly responding to.
This topic will remain an announcement for 30 days, before being absorbed into the chart rules/guidelines topic.

If you have any queries, please send me a PM.

Thanks,
Wayne.
Wayne
Administrator

Return to Chart Analysis