RIAA: Foo Fighters, Future, Grouplove

Moderators: kingofskiffle, arab, AutomaticBR

Postby marcsgirl85 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:05 pm

Miranda Lambert's album is a double album over 90 minutes long so it's counted as two for certification so it had to ship 500,000 copies to be certified platinum
"the love of a mothers life is her child/children"
marcsgirl85
Manager

Postby iHypeMusic » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:40 am

stevyy wrote:we've literally reached the point that customers can get music for free legally (owning it legally for free) while the artist collects platinum certs.

That's the lowest we've come thus far.

I can't even know what to say.

So, just sell your product to 1 company and distribute it for free...

music has become as disposable as ever.

If I were an act, I'd buy my own music for $3,99 and see it rise on the charts and act all popular.

Or even better gift my music to my fans.
This loophole has been allowed for awhile; Janet Jackson used it back in 2004 to go Platinum with a single. (Including mini-CD's with soda purchases at movie theaters)

It's just never been used this way with albums until recently. It shouldn't exist, but it's not a new concept.
iHypeMusic
Roadie

Postby beredy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:54 am

Shayonce wrote:well. those sales are not counted on billboard/nielsen, but only in RIAA as they do count all the legal copies from freebies,sample to every shipment.
they also used club sales in back in the days, and now streaming from "spotify free" to "youtubu" which are free to public.
it's no big deal in a era every streams are counted in album certification.
Both Spotify Free and Youtube are ad supported business. They offer you something free but you have ads from time to time. So they make money. And they pay artists or do you think movies that get played on TV didn't get payed for just because they can be viewed for free?
beredy
Manager

Postby thebigham » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:12 pm

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-sel ... -rush-14-2

The 30 best-selling music artists of all time, ranked by platinum albums

by John Lynch

In the decades before streaming-era rules and digital downloads inflated album sales, platinum certification was more difficult for artists to obtain.

When an artist achieved platinum status back then — selling a million or more physical copies of an album — it took a greater, more fervent effort from fans (driving to record stores, finding an album, handing over your hard-earned cash for it), but many acts reached platinum certification routinely nonetheless.

Using RIAA data, we ranked the best-selling artists of all time by the number of platinum albums they've sold in the US.

While some the results are surprising — country singer Garth Brooks, for instance, has the most diamond (or 10-times platinum) albums of all time with seven — the legendary acts sitting atop the list are the ones you'd probably expect.

Check out the 30 best-selling artists of all time, ranked by platinum albums:

30. Linda Ronstadt — 13

Platinum albums: 13

Multi-platinum: 7

Best-selling album: "Greatest Hits" (7 million copies)

29. Rush — 14

Platinum albums: 14

Multi-platinum: 3

Best-selling album: "Rush In Rio" (7 million copies)

28. Dave Matthews Band — 14

Best-selling album: "Crash" (7 million copies)

27. James Taylor — 14

Multi-platinum: 5

Diamond: 1

Best-selling album: "James Taylor's Greatest Hits" (11 million copies)

26. The Doors — 14

Multi-platinum: 5

Best-selling album: "The Best of The Doors" (10 million copies)

25. Bob Dylan — 15

Platinum albums: 15

Multi-platinum: 6

Best-selling album: "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits" (5 million copies)

24. Willie Nelson — 15

Multi-platinum: 6

Best-selling album: "Stardust" (5 million copies)

23. Alan Jackson — 15

Multi-platinum: 8

Best-selling album: "The Greatest Hits Collection" (6 million copies)

22. Pink Floyd — 15

Multi-platinum: 12

Diamond: 2

Best-selling album: "The Wall" (23 million copies)

21. Luther Vandross — 16

Platinum albums: 16

Best-selling album: "The Best of Luther Vandross" (3 million copies)

20. U2 — 16

Platinum albums: 16

Multi-platinum: 11

Best-selling album: "The Joshua Tree" (1o million copies)

19. Kenny Rogers — 17

Platinum albums: 17

Best-selling album: "Kenny Rogers' Greatest Hits" (12 million copies)

18. Bruce Springsteen — 17

Best-selling album: "Born In The U.S.A." (15 million copies)

17. Billy Joel — 17

Best-selling album: "Greatest Hits Volume I & Volume II" (23 million copies)

16. Madonna — 17

Best-selling album: "Like A Virgin" (10 million copies)

15. Chicago — 18

Platinum albums: 18

Multi-platinum: 8

Best-selling album: "Chicago 17" (6 million copies)

14. Aerosmith — 18

Best-selling album: "Aerosmith's Greatest Hits" (11 million copies)

13. Led Zeppelin — 18

Multi-platinum: 14

Diamond: 5

Best-selling album: "Led Zeppelin IV" (23 million copies)

12. Reba McEntire — 19

Platinum albums: 19

Multi-platinum: 9

Best-selling album: "Greatest Hits, Volume II" (5 million copies)

11. Rod Stewart — 19

Platinum albums: 19

Multi-platinum: 10

Best-selling album: "Foot Loose & Fancy Free" (3 million copies)

10. Alabama — 20

Platinum albums: 20

Multi-platinum: 10

Best-selling album: "Mountain Music" (5 million copies)

9. AC/DC — 20

Platinum albums: 20

Best-selling album: "Back In Black" (22 million copies)

8. Neil Diamond — 21

Platinum albums: 21

Best-selling album: "The Jazz Singer" (5 million copies)

7. Elton John — 27

Platinum albums: 27

Multi-platinum: 14

Best-selling album: "Greatest Hits" (17 million copies)

6. The Rolling Stones — 28

Platinum albums: 28

Best-selling album: "Four Flicks" (19 million copies)

5. Barbra Streisand — 30

Platinum albums: 30

Best-selling album: "Greatest Hits Volume II" (5 million copies)

4. Garth Brooks — 30

Platinum albums: 30

Multi-platinum: 16

Diamond: 7

Best-selling album: "Double Live" (21 million copies)

3. George Strait — 33

Platinum albums: 33

Multi-platinum: 13

Best-selling album: "Strait Out Of The Box" (8 million copies)

2. The Beatles — 42

Platinum albums: 42

Multi-platinum: 26

Diamond: 6

Best-selling album: "The Beatles (The White Album)" (19 million copies)

1. Elvis Presley — 53

Platinum albums: 53

Multi-platinum: 25

Best-selling album: "Elvis' Christmas Album" (10 million copies)
thebigham
Legend

Postby blackbird » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:39 pm

thebigham wrote:http://www.businessinsider.com/best-selling-artists-all-time-ranked-by-platinum-albums-2017-7/#29-rush-14-2

by John Lynch

6. The Rolling Stones — 28

Best-selling album: "Four Flicks" (19 million copies)

2. The Beatles — 42

Best-selling album: "The Beatles (The White Album)" (19 million copies)
John Lynch doesn't have a clue about the RIAA rules (he better wrote for businessoutsider.com).

"Four Flicks" is a Video Boxset certified for 1.9 million units. As the box contains 4 DVDs certified sales (shipment) were 1.9 million divided by 4 copies.

"The White Album" is a double album, certified for 19 million units for shipment of 19/2 million copies.

To confuse units with copies results in a totally wrong picture. :(
blackbird
Superstar

Postby thebigham » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Some of you will like this article:

http://www.salon.com/2017/07/08/jay-z-444-platinum/

How Jay-Z’s “4:44″ went platinum instantly and why it’s meaningless
by MATTHEW ROZSA

When metrics shift and records are bought in bulk by corporations, a questionable honor becomes fully hollow

Jay-Z’s new, titanic, essential album “4:44″ was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) less than a week after its release. Yet does it even matter, as it surely would have only a few years ago?

In the same article in which it announced that “4:44″ became a platinum album (i.e., selling at least 1 million units), Variety explains how the RIAA’s method of determining platinum status has evolved in the past several years.

“The RIAA began incorporating streaming numbers into album certifications on Feb. 1, 2016, using a formula similar to that of Nielsen Music’s whereby 1,500 on-demand audio and/or video song streams = 10 track sales = 1 album sale (the organization began incorporating streaming numbers into single certifications in 2013),” Variety writes.

Interestingly, “4:44″ was first released exclusively to customers of Sprint and Tidal, which raises the possibility that it didn’t achieve platinum status due to individual customer purchases alone. As one source told Variety, “a sale counts toward a certification if purchased directly by the customer — or a business can purchase the album or song and offer it to fans, who must take affirmative steps to acquire the album or song. Fans participated, took action and downloaded Jay-Z’s album offered by Sprint.”

In other words, distributors for “4:44″ could have purchased the album in bulk — perhaps even more than a million copies of it — and then given it away, thereby allowing it to reach platinum status instantly. This was what happened with Jay-Z in 2013 with “Magna Carta: Holy Grail,” when Samsung bought 1 million downloads and gave them away for free to Galaxy smartphone owners three days before it was released to the general public.

It certainly doesn’t help appearances that the photograph of Jay-Z’s platinum plaque presentation was taken before the album was even released.

Again, this doesn’t prove that Tidal or anyone artificially inflated Jay-Z’s numbers, despite Samsung’s previous activities. Indeed, Roc Nation has told Billboard that the platinum status was only given to reflect 1 million downloads, not any of the streams. That said, if doubt can be plausibly raised about the authenticity of an album’s platinum status, doesn’t that suggest that the standard itself is outdated?

In the case of “4:44,” it’s noteworthy that, as it had a one-week exclusivity deal with Tidal, it was limited in terms of initial sales regardless of whether it achieved platinum status through that medium or not.

Now, it’s always been easy to suppose that there is a fundamental problem in holding platinum status as truly meaningful. There are countless albums that went platinum, stayed on the billboard charts for a few weeks and then quickly faded from our cultural consciousness. Similarly, there are plenty of albums and songs that retained devout followings despite never achieving platinum status, or which took years to take off with their intended market.

Today, it’s become even more questionable to attempt to quantify the inherently unquantifiable — such as the cultural impact of a particular song or album — given that we can clearly see that the numbers here have become even more fungible. This isn’t to say that those financial figures aren’t important, but rather that they shouldn’t carry weight beyond the boardrooms. Attaching a level of profundity to their significance, and thereby confusing commercial success with more culturally meaningful achievements, seems more and more pointless.

If Jay-Z’s latest album has indeed been downloaded over 1 million times, then he deserves to be congratulated for reaching that milestone. That doesn’t mean that the rest of us shouldn’t raise an eyebrow at the unusual speed and circumstances surrounding that achievement, however, or question whether we should even care. Either way, both the man and the album are legendary with or without a shiny platinum record in a frame.

Matthew Rozsa is a breaking news writer for Salon. He holds an MA in History from Rutgers University-Newark and his work has appeared in Mic, Quartz and MSNBC.
thebigham
Legend

Postby frrr » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:21 pm

This will happen more and more often with rap acts. But honestly, I'm cool with it, a company purchased copies and then gave them for free. What's wrong with it??
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Manager

Postby beredy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:27 am

Because it's an unreal amount of copies that would definitely never be sold? Heck, I'd take a free Jay-Z album, listen to it once and probably never again. But I would never buy anything of Jay Z's. I imagine a lot of people taking these free copies are just the same as me. Magna Carta Holy Grail is certified 2x platinum, but it had the same stunt as 4:44 has with free downloads so in reality that album would never be 2x platinum, but this way Jay Z's profile is artificially boosted.
beredy
Manager

Postby frrr » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:02 pm

beredy wrote:Because it's an unreal amount of copies that would definitely never be sold? Heck, I'd take a free Jay-Z album, listen to it once and probably never again. But I would never buy anything of Jay Z's. I imagine a lot of people taking these free copies are just the same as me. Magna Carta Holy Grail is certified 2x platinum, but it had the same stunt as 4:44 has with free downloads so in reality that album would never be 2x platinum, but this way Jay Z's profile is artificially boosted.
A company bought it, so it sold...what's the matter with that? I could make the same kind of deal if we had money, anyone could tbh.
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Manager

Postby beredy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:35 pm

frrr wrote:
beredy wrote:Because it's an unreal amount of copies that would definitely never be sold? Heck, I'd take a free Jay-Z album, listen to it once and probably never again. But I would never buy anything of Jay Z's. I imagine a lot of people taking these free copies are just the same as me. Magna Carta Holy Grail is certified 2x platinum, but it had the same stunt as 4:44 has with free downloads so in reality that album would never be 2x platinum, but this way Jay Z's profile is artificially boosted.
A company bought it, so it sold...what's the matter with that? I could make the same kind of deal if we had money, anyone could tbh.
But they could've bought it for 1 cent per album. We do not know that. That's why these only count for certifications not chart/proper albums sales.
beredy
Manager

Postby thebigham » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:09 pm

thebigham
Legend

Postby frrr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:59 pm

beredy wrote:
frrr wrote:
But they could've bought it for 1 cent per album. We do not know that. That's why these only count for certifications not chart/proper albums sales.
That's true, and I agree with that logic only certs not charts. Otherwise, this would be the start of something really bad, albums sold for mere cents and so on...with the lowest bid taking the top spot because they sold 2 million for 5 cents to a company. Nevertheless, a million copies is a million copies whether it was sold for 10 bucks or 10 cents., can't argue with numbers.
frrr
Manager

Postby thebigham » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:59 pm

RIAA.com:

PLAIN WHITE T'S
Title: ALL THAT WE NEEDED
Certification Date: July 31, 2017
Label: FEARLESS RECORDS
Format: ALBUM
Gold

STEVE AOKI
Title: NEON FUTURE I
Certification Date: July 28, 2017
Label: ULTRA RECORDS
Gold

IMAGINE DRAGONS
Title: EVOLVE
Certification Date: July 28, 2017
Label: KIDINACORNER / INTERSCOPE
Gold

BRUNO MARS
Title: 24K MAGIC
Certification Date: July 27, 2017
Label: ATLANTIC RECORDS
2xP

DRAGONFORCE
Title: INHUMAN RAMPAGE
Certification Date: July 21, 2017
Label: ROADRUNNER RECORDS, INC.
Gold

STONE SOUR
Title: COME WHAT(EVER) MAY
Certification Date: July 21, 2017
Label: ROADRUNNER RECORDS
Platinum

MEEK MILL
Title: DREAMS WORTH MORE THAN MONEY
Certification Date: July 19, 2017
Label: MAYBACH MUSIC GROUP / ATLANTIC RECORDS
Platinum

LUKE BRYAN
Title: KILL THE LIGHTS
Certification Date: July 17, 2017
Label: CAPITOL RECORDS NASHVILLE
2xP

FUTURE
Title: FUTURE
Certification Date: July 14, 2017
Label: EPIC
Platinum

VANCE JOY
Title: DREAM YOUR LIFE AWAY
Label: ATLANTIC RECORDS
Platinum

MIGOS
Title: CULTURE
Label: QUALITY CONTROL MUSIC / 300 ENTERTAINMENT
Platinum

KID CUDI
Title: MAN ON THE MOON: THE END OF DAY
Certification Date: July 12, 2017
Label: UNIVERSAL MOTOWN
2xP

MIRANDA LAMBERT
Title: THE WEIGHT OF THESE WINGS
Certification Date: July 10, 2017
Label: VANNER RECORDS / RCA NASHVILLE
Gold, Platinum

IMAGINE DRAGONS
Title: SMOKE + MIRRORS
Label: KIDINAKORNER / INTERSCOPE RECORDS
Platinum

KENDRICK LAMAR
Title: DAMN.
Label: TOP DAWG ENTERTAINMENT / AFTERMATH / INTERSCOPE RECORDS
Gold, Platinum, 2xP
thebigham
Legend

Postby stevyy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:45 am

thebigham wrote:http://www.businessinsider.com/best-selling-artists-all-time-ranked-by-platinum-albums-2017-7/#29-rush-14-2

Mariah Carey - 14 (11 studio albums)
1990 - 9xP
1991 - 4xP
1992 - 4xP
1993 - 10xP
1994 - 5xP
1995 - 10xP
1997 - 5xP
1998 - 5xP
1999 - 3xP
2001 - 1xP
2001 - 1xP
2002 - 1xP
2005 - 6xP
2008 - 1xP

Platinum Albums: 14
Multi-Platinum: 10

why is she not on the list?
stevyy
Legend

Postby thebigham » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:54 pm

^An error.

RIAA.com:

SHAWN MENDES
Title: ILLUMINATE
Certification Date: August 9, 2017
Label: ISLAND RECORDS
Platinum

FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE
Title: DIG YOUR ROOTS
Certification Date: August 7, 2017
Label: BIG MACHINE LABEL GROUP
Gold, Platinum

DNCE
Title: DNCE
Certification Date: August 3, 2017
Label: REPUBLIC RECORDS
Gold
thebigham
Legend

Postby thebigham » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Too bad that the lead singer had to die to get these certified...

RIAA.com:

JAY-Z & LINKIN PARK
Title: COLLISION COURSE
Certification Date: August 15, 2017
Label: WARNER BROS RECORDS
2xP

LINKIN PARK
Title: A THOUSAND SUNS
Label: WARNER BROS. RECORDS
Platinum

LINKIN PARK
Title: METEORA
7xP

LINKIN PARK
Title: LIVING THINGS
Gold, Platinum

LINKIN PARK
Title: MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
4xP

LINKIN PARK
Title: HYBRID THEORY
11xP

and...

JOSH GROBAN
Title: NOEL
Certification Date: August 14, 2017
6xP

KIP MOORE
Title: UP ALL NIGHT
Certification Date: August 4, 2017
Label: MCA
Gold, Platinum
thebigham
Legend

Postby thebigham » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:27 pm

I tweeted in January:

@kcreospeedwagon Your album "Hi Infidelity" was certified 9 times #Platinum in 1995. Ask @Epic_Records to certify it #Diamond with #RIAA

RIAA.com:

R.E.O. SPEEDWAGON
Title: HI INFIDELITY
Certification Date: August 17, 2017
Label: EPIC/LEGACY
10xP
thebigham
Legend

Postby WolfSpear » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Awesome! Now if Journey's "Escape" could get the re-bump.

Congrats to REO. Took such a long time.
WolfSpear
Manager

Postby thebigham » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:57 pm

^ @JourneyOfficial Your album "Escape" was certified 9 times #Platinum in 1994. Ask @ColumbiaRecords if it is eligible for #Diamond with #RIAA
thebigham
Legend

Postby tada » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:02 pm

wow at Linkin Park new certifications! HUGE
tada
Legend

Postby marcsgirl85 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:59 pm

Escape isn't the only journey album eligible for re-certification so is greatest hits for at least 16 x platinum it got it's 15 x platinum in April 2008 other albums on the label also need an audit for possible re-certification including several of Mariah Carey's such as Merry Christmas which is eligible for 6 x platinum Rainbow eligible for at least 4 x platinum greatest hits 3 x platinum [multi disc rule] Epic Records also owes Celine Dion some certification updates most notably All The Way A Decade of Song should be at least 9 x platinum if not diamond now also These Are Special times her holiday album is eligible for at least six times platinum if not seven it's last certification was nearly 12 years ago December 2005 Though Merry Christmas's is nearly 15 years out of date it's last certification was January 30th 2003
"the love of a mothers life is her child/children"
marcsgirl85
Manager

Postby Wayne » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:08 pm

I posted this regards Celine's differential last year...

She's probably under-certified by 7-8m (with millions more in sales between thresholds).

The only figure I feel different about now is All The Way... which possibly hasn't reached 10m yet (8.1m SS, 1.1m BMG - but some uncertainty around whether or not it was released at Columbia House).

Other women like Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey are also under-certified.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby thebigham » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:12 pm

Every artist in the Top 30 of the Top Album Artists is under-certified. Except for maybe Garth Brooks...
thebigham
Legend

Postby thebigham » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:14 pm

July 2017 RIAA certifications:

http://www.riaa.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... y_2017.pdf

126 Song Awards
25 Album Awards
thebigham
Legend

Postby Mulvanaghty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:50 pm

We need to remember though that ever since 2015, RIAA is now certifying albums as Gold, Platinum, and Multi-Platinum, not strictly by sales anymore. Now individual digital tracks, streaming of album tracks, streaming of the album are contributing to new certifications. So when it says an album has sold 5 million or 10 million, that might not actually be the case now. Sales of the album may only be a fraction of the total now.
Mulvanaghty
Manager

Return to Chart Analysis