RIAA: Zac Brown 3xP. Lil Wayne, Minaj 1xP. Bazzi Gold.

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby Musicology » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:21 pm

Michael Jackson is still under-certified. Like mentioned above, Essential Michael Jackson and Numbers one should be 5X platinum. Also, according to MJDangerous, Bad has nearly 12m in SPS, yet it's only 10X platinum. I'm sure Off The Wall should be eligible for 9X. It's currently 8X platinum and has been since 2009. It has since had a re-issue so I'm sure it has had enough SPS for a 9x platinum award.
Last edited by Musicology on Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Musicology
Groupie

Postby braindeadpj » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:26 pm

The disparity may arise because Thriller is an original album while The Eagle's Greatest Hits is a compilation album. In an earlier post it was stated that the record company chose to assign the SEA/TEA to the Greatest Hits album rather than the album with the originating tracks. Since Epic have just recertified several of the Michael Jackson compilation albums this maybe taking away units from Thriller as they share multiple tracks. Having said that you'd probably have expected the MJ albums to jump by a greater margin based on streaming if that was so...
Difficult to know without further explanation from RIAA, which i'm sure will not be forthcoming.....
This of course also highlights the mockery of assigning TEA/SEA to greatest hits compilation in the BB200, which, in the catalog chart can lead to a greatest hits compilation album re-entering at number 1 one week and vanishing the next week as another compilation album (or the original parent albums for the tracks) overtakes it in actual sales.
braindeadpj
Groupie

Postby thebigham » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:31 pm

Musicology wrote:Michael Jackson is still under-certified. Like mentioned above, Essential Michael Jackson and Numbers one should be 5X platinum. Also, according to MJDangerous, Bad has nearly 12m in SPS, yet it's only 10X platinum. I'm sure Off The Wall should be eligible for a diamond certification too. It's currently 9X platinum and has been since 2009. It has since had a re-issue so I'm sure it should be diamond.
Yes, Epic needs to get their act together. People who understand how to get an accurate RIAA cert. (It is confusing though.)
thebigham
Legend

Postby Musicology » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:36 pm

^ I'm glad they have finally paid some attention to Dangerous and History. Both albums are nearing 9M in SPS, so this 8X platinum certification was long overdue.
Musicology
Groupie

Postby BadMan125 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Bad is 12m SPS and Off the Wall is 10m SPS? Jesus, Epic...

I'm guessing Epic is still stuck in the 20th century?
"Crime is increasing
Trigger happy policing..."
-- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")
BadMan125
Legend

Postby thebigham » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:42 pm

^Remember MJDangerous' numbers are just estimates. Epic has the actual figures.
thebigham
Legend

Postby jimcastor » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Strange coincidence that they are coming up with all these certifications two days after they made sure
the media would take away his biggest accomplishment.....using fake numbers for an album that has not even been
on end year catalog charts since 2006, except once.

Jake Tapper on CNN blamed RIAA's press release for saying the Eagles now has the biggest album in history in the world.
jimcastor
Groupie

Postby BadMan125 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:16 pm

thebigham wrote:^Remember MJDangerous' numbers are just estimates. Epic has the actual figures.
I understand completely. That was kind of what I was basing it on because most of the time RIAA certifies the estimations even if the actual numbers are lower in some case.

LOL. Jake Tapper chimed in. I love him. :)

And he's right on calling them out. The United States isn't the whole world. Thriller is roughly 66 million, Eagles' Greatest Hits is 42 million. No contest.
"Crime is increasing
BadMan125
Legend

Postby jimcastor » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:39 pm

BadMan125 wrote:
thebigham wrote:^Remember MJDangerous' numbers are just estimates. Epic has the actual figures.
LOL. Jake Tapper chimed in. I love him. :)

And he's right on calling them out. The United States isn't the whole world. Thriller is roughly 66 million, Eagles' Greatest Hits is 42 million. No contest.
Actually Jake Tapper said on CNN that The Eagles album was the biggest selling album no win history of the world and when someone on twitter
called him out he blamed RIAA's press release and said he would make a correction but so far he has not. The headline on CNN's website
is till the same. Jake Tapper like the rest of the media gleefully repeated what RIAA's press release said that Eagle GH is now the biggest selling album in history. There was no fact checking. whatsoever.

This was written in 2015 about RIAA's odd ways of adding huge numbers to Eagles's certifications.

Digging deeper into the realm of RIAA magic, consider the treatment afforded the Eagles’ Their Greatest Hits 1971–1975. Originally certified in 1976 as part of the promotional thrust around Platinum designation, 1971–1975 was inexplicably re-certified twelve times platinum in 1990, and in 1995, an inconceivable twenty-two times.

This ballooned to twenty-six times in 1999, with a final certification of twenty-nine times platinum in 2006 — a broadly publicized crest, as it meant the compilation had overtaken Michael Jackson’s Thriller as the best-selling album of all time. According to the RIAA, Their Greatest Hits 1971–1975 shipped seventeen million copies between 1990 and 2006. Yet according to SoundScan, over the same period, it sold just over five million.

Given that between 2006 and 2010, it barely scanned half a million — and that figure includes digital downloads — we can see that not only was the RIAA on a mission of intent rather than accuracy in trumpeting this album’s significance, they have totally disregarded widely-available statistics in the process.

https://medium.com/@shallowrewards/on-s ... 7514109ef2

So Eagles scanned less than 500 000 in four years during the period when RIAA now says they sold 9 million.
They were not in the Top 50 year end catalog charts between 2006 - 2017 except in 2016 and to get there you
have to sell around 110 000. So they sold less then that year after year but someone they got 9 million from RIAA.
Ridiculous. I don't think Eagles GH sold anywhere near 30 million let alone 38. BIllie Jean alone streamed more on Spotify
than the entire GH album.
jimcastor
Groupie

Postby jimcastor » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:04 pm

Just sank in: Biliie Jean alone has more streams on Spotify than the entire Eagles Greatest Hits album.

But RIAA wants us to believe Eagles GH outsold and outstreamed Thriller by millions?

What can I say. This looks like one of the biggest frauds in pop music history and the media is happily promoting Eagles like
there is nothing questionable going on.
jimcastor
Groupie

Postby BadMan125 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:36 am

frrr wrote:I mean Thriller sold/stream more than Eagles GH so EPIC just needs to re-certifie Thriller. Does anyone has any idea where it stands as far certifications go by RIAA?
After today's certifications, I wonder what changes?
"Crime is increasing
BadMan125
Legend

Postby frrr » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:03 am

^Strange because they certified a bunch of singles and even some albums. But they didn't even touch Thriller, if Thriller sold/stream more why not re-certifying it again?
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Superstar

Postby Musicology » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:22 am

^ Maybe they will certify Thriller after Halloween.
Musicology
Groupie

Postby jimcastor » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:26 am

BadMan125 wrote:
frrr wrote:I mean Thriller sold/stream more than Eagles GH so EPIC just needs to re-certifie Thriller. Does anyone has any idea where it stands as far certifications go by RIAA?
After today's certifications, I wonder what changes?
Nothing. It's clear they came up with all these certifications for Jacksons just two days
after Eagles's outlandish certifications to show they are not biased.

But their agenda is obvious and has been since the 90s.
Eagles GH suddenly overtook Thriller in 1999 so they should not have to give Album of the Century award
to Thriller. And then Glenn Frey said something shady that MJ will go out and buy 1.5 million copies now.

If RIAA's excuse is that they took all sales of all songs on GH on all other releases and added
them up, which would be absurd since that is not the same as selling a complete album,
they should do the same with Thriller and that would put it well above GH.

We asked RIAA and Don Feder to explain how these numbers were possible, no response.
If they had nothing to hide they would be transparent about their methodology.

I wonder what the MJ Estate has to say about all of this ****.
jimcastor
Groupie

Postby jimcastor » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:31 am

BadMan125 wrote:
Thriller's certification history shows a gradual increase year by year and based on that there is no way
they would certify it above Eagles GH unless they really changed their method but if they did
they should have made that clear in their press release and they should not have
said GH is the best selling album of all time without using that same method for Thriller
and recertify it. Thriller was certified 33x platinum in 2017 Feb.

RIAA says they recounted Eagles's sales and streams and saw that it outsold Thriller by
millions. While Beat it alone outstreams that entire GH album on YouTube.

Absolute bullshit.
jimcastor
Groupie

Postby frrr » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:36 pm

It's not RIAA responsibility, Epic needs to send the numbers to ask for the certification and pay it. If it's so easy they should just do it.
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Superstar

Postby jimcastor » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:45 pm

frrr wrote:It's not RIAA responsibility, Epic needs to send the numbers to ask for the certification and pay it. If it's so easy they should just do it.
Yes but it's RIAA's responsibility to explain what method they used that suddenly added 9 million to Eagles GH's total and
10m to Hotel California's total. The point is unless there was a recertification for Thriller using the new method
they should't say GH is the best selling album of all time. It's not fair.

Based on the vague explanation to Rolling Stone as to how they found 10 milion extra units for Hotel California
they will say they did a recount went back years and found a bunch of previously uncounted units.

Which of course invites the question how could you miss all those units through MULTIPLE certifications
over the years? And how much they found in each year and which years were undercertified so we could
add the newly discovered numbers and see if that would have put Eagles GH and Hotel California
much higher on the charts. Because they were sure missing in actions since 2006.
jimcastor
Groupie

Postby AndiIversen » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:00 pm

Seems corruption won (about the Eagles) lol
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby autumnwind » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:13 am

All of a sudden Why michael jacksons so many singles got certified massively??
Its corruption to float him???
autumnwind
Groupie

Postby SimoneMJJ » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:49 pm

SimoneMJJ wrote:
thebigham wrote:Does Epic know how to certify double albums? Essential has sold 2.6 million. It should be 5xP.
Maybe many copies were bought from foreigner buyers on Amazon and/or similar website and RIAA doesn't count those sales (except for the military).
To support my supposition there is an important fact: the US Editions of Number Ones and Essential have a different tracklist. So, i suppose that many MJ foreigner collectors bought these releases from American websites. For this reason, we will never have the same result of Nielsen in the RIAA certifications. Unless that RIAA changes its rules.
SimoneMJJ
Manager

Postby Musicology » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:56 pm

autumnwind wrote:All of a sudden Why michael jacksons so many singles got certified massively??
Its corruption to float him???
It’s not corruption. He was massively under certified in the singles department and finally his record company decided to do something about it.
Musicology
Groupie

Postby BadMan125 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:26 am

^ It's not corruption lol

Some of the singles have sold tons following MJ's death.
"Crime is increasing
BadMan125
Legend

Postby Musicology » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:03 am

^ Exactly. It's not corruption. Many of MJ's number 1 and top 10 hits weren't even certified prior to this update. This certification was long overdue.
Musicology
Groupie

Postby thebigham » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:32 pm

RIAA.com:

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?tab ... ch_section

XXXTENTACION
Title: 17
Certification Date: August 15, 2018
Label: BAD VIBES FOREVER / EMPIRE
Format: ALBUM
1xP

DEMI LOVATO
Title: TELL ME YOU LOVE ME
Label: ISLAND RECORDS
1xP

VARIOUS ARTISTS
Title: THE GREATEST SHOWMAN
Label: ATLANTIC RECORDS
2xP

MACKLEMORE
Title: GEMINI
Label: BENDO, LLC
Gold

KHALID
Title: AMERICAN TEEN
Certification Date: August 14, 2018
Label: RIGHT HAND MUSIC / RCA
2xP
thebigham
Legend

Postby james98 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:51 pm

Hotel California being 26xPlatinum is a joke.

If that is 26xPlatinum then an album like Rumours should be AT LEAST 30xPlatinum because not only did it originally sell more and has recently sold more, its songs have had more streams.

RIDICULOUS!
james98
Groupie

Return to Chart Analysis