Belgian Chart Archives - Questions & Answers

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby trebor » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:29 am

Thanks for your explanations and summary!

cavefan wrote:The national chart used between 1995 and 1999 by Billboard and Music & Media must indeed be some kind of unofficial ranking made up by themselves (perhaps indeed manually) or maybe based on aggregated industry figures provided by Ultratop to them? Who knows... in any case I've never heard about any national chart in Belgium from 1995 on anymore, and certainly this Billboard national chart was never broadcast or published anywhere in Belgium.
It may be considered factual that the composite chart was done manually by Ultratop since various staff have confirmed this to me. Also, this fact was disclosed: the Ultratop charts were a two week rolling chart which used a median to determine the chart position and both charts ran well deeper than #100 (Officially only Top 50's).
trebor
Legend

Postby mjgm84 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:20 am

cavefan wrote:I've mentioned it already in another thread : there definitely existed a national sales chart for Belgium between 1984 and 1994 (Sibesa/SABAM & later IFPI/SABAM). It was a Top 50 from 1984-1989, then extended to a Top 75 in 1990 and eventually even a Top 100 at some point around 1994.
This chart was broadcast on Flemish and Walloon radio stations, displayed on posters in record stores and also published at least partially in some weeklies if I remember well. This chart was recognized as official and based on shipments rather than over the counter sales.

In 1995, this chart got replaced by the Ultratop with the major difference that it was now split in a Flemish and a French list. The national chart used between 1995 and 1999 by Billboard and Music & Media must indeed be some kind of unofficial ranking made up by themselves (perhaps indeed manually) or maybe based on aggregated industry figures provided by Ultratop to them? Who knows... in any case I've never heard about any national chart in Belgium from 1995 on anymore, and certainly this Billboard national chart was never broadcast or published anywhere in Belgium.

Now for old Walloon charts : before 1995, there were regional Walloon charts broadcast on RTBF Radio "Frequence Wallonie" and based on a survey at record shops across Wallonia. This chart called "Tip Top" still exists to this very day (despite the parallel Ultratop Wallonie now deemed official). I don't know when this chart was launched first but I do know it exists at least since the early 80's.
Thanks for this info. But from what I have seen from 1995 onwards Music & Media also published the Belgian charts separate for Flanders and Wallonia. If you see the page from Music & Media in 1995 in the following link you will see at the bottom right that there is an add which says " IFPI Belgium has stopped issuing the official Belgian HitParades. The new and improved Belgian IFPI charts are scheduled for re -launch March 1." https://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Archive-Music-Media-IDX/IDX/90s/95/MM-1995-02-18-OCR-Page-0022.pdf#search=%22nirvana%20unplugged%22 From that point onwards Music & Media also separated the charts.
mjgm84
Groupie

Postby cavefan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:25 pm

@mjgm84 : when you look at the 1995-1999 charts published for Belgium on the "National Top 10 sales" pages in M&M, the positions don't match with either the Flemish or the French Ultratop. They were using a combined chart (you can sometimes see both Dutch and French language hits in the same chart) but the origin of it isn't clear. But as trebor mentioned above, it may well have been provided to them directly by Ultratop without having been published anywhere else.
cavefan
Roadie

Postby mjgm84 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:22 pm

cavefan wrote:@mjgm84 : when you look at the 1995-1999 charts published for Belgium on the "National Top 10 sales" pages in M&M, the positions don't match with either the Flemish or the French Ultratop. They were using a combined chart (you can sometimes see both Dutch and French language hits in the same chart) but the origin of it isn't clear. But as trebor mentioned above, it may well have been provided to them directly by Ultratop without having been published anywhere else.
Oh ok, its just I was sure I'd seen a M&M issue from this period where they had a top ten listed under "Flanders", but anyway.

Just checked an issue from 1996 and yest there is a combined Belgium chart, it gives the provider as "Stichting Promuvi".
mjgm84
Groupie

Postby freeme » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:05 am

Do you have any Official source for certification from 1990?
don't disturb this groove!
freeme
Manager

Postby borderwolf » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:55 am

Both Mid-price and Dvd chart are now (since 5 january 2019) deleted from ultratop.... :( :( :(
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Return to Chart Analysis