US Billboard Charts (19/01/2008)

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby Spiderpig » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:09 am

M2M wrote:Money in 1973 was a hit for Pink Floyd too
:roll:

ok so what about Norah Jones ? Is she an one-hit wonder ("Dont Know Why", #30) ?
Spiderpig
Manager

Postby AyumiH » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:40 am

I agree with TiagoRodrigues here. One Hit Wonders refer specifically to artists who have only had one hit single. By that definition, James Blunt is a one hit wonder in the US.
AyumiH
Legend

Postby android » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:34 am

:P It is hard to define a one hit wonder. The USA with a population of 300 million has a huge domestic market so I imagine you have to be pretty good or lucky if your a foreigner and crack it big time over there. Been many successful artists over the years who have never really made a impact in the USA.
android
Superstar

Postby Spiderpig » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:00 am

An interesting article on wikipedia :

"Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Lou Reed, Radiohead, Phish, Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead, Iggy Pop, Faith No More, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Church, and System of a Down each had only one Billboard Top 40 hit but are rarely, if ever, considered one-hit wonders. These performers are known for other successes, such as album or concert ticket sales, critical acclaim, strong fan followings, or influence on other musicians. These types of artists also do not target pop charts, rather, they target alternative groups."

Basically, to say that James Blunt, who had the 6th best selling album in the US during 2006, is a one-hit wonder, well it's a bit reductive...
Spiderpig
Manager

Postby tchou » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:43 am

Mother_Fudger wrote:After Amy Winehouse, James Blunt, Corinne Bailey-Rae, Joss Stone, Lily Allen, MIKA and Kate Nash, i think Amy MacDonald will be the next British artist to crack America.
Mika has cracked America ???

I don't think he's enjoying the same popularity in the US as he does in the UK or France where all his songs sadly rule the whole airplay.

No huge single sales and no huge album sales out there in the US. He's sold far less than Lilly Allen, has he ?

But I agree on the Leona point. She may be the next big thing in the US.
tchou
Roadie

Postby frankie_85 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:49 am

Of course James Blunt is not a one hit wonder!A One hit wonder is an act that's in the charts only with his song, he/she doesn't sell big amounts of albums!

Plus i don't believe in this thing that you can be a one hit wonder only in one country but not in others; a one hit wonder is a one hit wonder everywhere :-? That's an artist that will always be remembered for THAT song! Los Del Rio with Macarena is the perfect example!
frankie_85
Manager

Postby jordi_89 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:52 am

frankie_85 wrote:Of course James Blunt is not a one hit wonder!A One hit wonder is an act that's in the charts only with his song, he/she doesn't sell big amounts of albums!

Plus i don't believe in this thing that you can be a one hit wonder only in one country but not in others; a one hit wonder is a one hit wonder everywhere :-? That's an artist that will always be remembered for THAT song! Los Del Rio with Macarena is the perfect example!
or Soft Cell with their many times sampled song Tainted Love
jordi_89
Superstar

Postby MJDangerous » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:24 pm

AyumiH wrote:I agree with TiagoRodrigues here. One Hit Wonders refer specifically to artists who have only had one hit single. By that definition, James Blunt is a one hit wonder in the US.
This do not means to have only 1 hit : A one-hit wonder has a hit yet, but then disappeared. James Blunt is always here. His album is charted in the BB200 after 4/5 months, and his previous one still charting in the catalog chart.

Eamon was a one-hit wonder, but James Blunt ?!
25 June 2009, the day the Music died
MJDangerous
Legend

Postby nelson » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:10 pm

tchou wrote:
Mother_Fudger wrote:After Amy Winehouse, James Blunt, Corinne Bailey-Rae, Joss Stone, Lily Allen, MIKA and Kate Nash, i think Amy MacDonald will be the next British artist to crack America.
Mika has cracked America ???

I don't think he's enjoying the same popularity in the US as he does in the UK or France where all his songs sadly rule the whole airplay.

No huge single sales and no huge album sales out there in the US. He's sold far less than Lilly Allen, has he ?

But I agree on the Leona point. She may be the next big thing in the US.
Leona is nobody in US.
nelson
Legend

Postby nelson » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:15 pm

frankie_85 wrote:Of course James Blunt is not a one hit wonder!A One hit wonder is an act that's in the charts only with his song, he/she doesn't sell big amounts of albums!

There's no such standards, otherwise you have to specify of what kind of criteria, for "US only", or for "Worldwide basis", for "Single only", or for "Album only", or for "Both".
nelson
Legend

Postby frankie_85 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:59 pm

nelson wrote:

There's no such standards, otherwise you have to specify of what kind of criteria, for "US only", or for "Worldwide basis", for "Single only", or for "Album only", or for "Both".
Why not "EP's only" or "Central Africa only"?
frankie_85
Manager

Postby nelson » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:02 pm

frankie_85 wrote:
nelson wrote:

Why not "EP's only" or "Central Africa only"?
Less people are interested in EPs than CDs and singles and labels seldomly released EPs.
Central africa has different culture and economic trends than US & all other countries.
nelson
Legend

Postby naughty » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:16 pm

MJDangerous wrote:
AyumiH wrote:I agree with TiagoRodrigues here. One Hit Wonders refer specifically to artists who have only had one hit single. By that definition, James Blunt is a one hit wonder in the US.
This do not means to have only 1 hit : A one-hit wonder has a hit yet, but then disappeared. James Blunt is always here. His album is charted in the BB200 after 4/5 months, and his previous one still charting in the catalog chart.

For the first time I can agree with you
naughty
Superstar

Postby TiagoRodrigues » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:08 pm

I really have to keep my "mouth" shut! :lol:
TiagoRodrigues
Legend

Postby AyumiH » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:59 pm

MJDangerous wrote:

But again you're bringing in album sales into it. So are you saying that a One Hit Wonder is known for only one single and have bad album sales? Because Eamon has only released one album so far, and it did do decent (gold and peaked in the top 10 in the US). I guess what I am asking is what is your definition of a One Hit Wonder?

One hit wonder definition varies I guess. But James Blunt has only had one hit single, You're Beautiful. None of the other singles have even came close to the success and have flooped. I know his album sales are good, but as far as a singles artist he is a one hit wonder.
AyumiH
Legend

Postby MJDangerous » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:28 pm

AyumiH wrote:
MJDangerous wrote:

But again you're bringing in album sales into it. So are you saying that a One Hit Wonder is known for only one single and have bad album sales? Because Eamon has only released one album so far, and it did do decent (gold and peaked in the top 10 in the US). I guess what I am asking is what is your definition of a One Hit Wonder?

One hit wonder definition varies I guess. But James Blunt has only had one hit single, You're Beautiful. None of the other singles have even came close to the success and have flooped. I know his album sales are good, but as far as a singles artist he is a one hit wonder.
LOL. You explained very well what a one-hit wonder is with this sentence : Eamon has released a second album in 2006 :lol:
THIS is a one-hit wonder, big hit and then the following album unable to crack the top 200.
An artist can't be a one-hit wonder as a single artiste and a big act as a album seller, this does not even make sence. James Blunt has only one hit single yes, but it is not the same (at all, just look at Norah Jones) as being a one-hit wonder. Again, the notion of "one-hit wonder" supposed that the artist disappears after his only hit, just like Eamon.
MJDangerous
Legend

Postby NoAngels » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:12 pm

MJDangerous wrote:

Oh yeah..he is a one-hit wonder,he only had one hit there regardless of the exsitence of his albums or whatever...when u talk about him there,they will be like oh yes the guy who sings "U're Beautiful".
Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.
NoAngels
Superstar

Postby MJDangerous » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:17 pm

NoAngels wrote:
MJDangerous wrote:

Oh yeah..he is a one-hit wonder,he only had one hit there regardless of the exsitence of his albums or whatever...when u talk about him there,they will be like oh yes the guy who sings "U're Beautiful".
He is the guy who sings U're Beautiful, this should be why All The Lost Souls is Gold.
MJDangerous
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:33 pm

well, All The Lost Souls took a huge dip in sales from Back To Bedlam, which proves that You're Beautiful was responsible for most of the success of the debut album. When Mariah, Madonna, Celine or Janet bomb, you don't hear the last about it, whereas James Blunt is bombing and nobody really cares. Proving that for most Americans, he is in fact a flash in the pan
NothingFails
Legend

Postby bunny » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:52 pm

Would someone please post the Billboard Country album latest chart for me?
bunny
Groupie

Postby Spiderpig » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:09 am

NothingFails wrote:well, All The Lost Souls took a huge dip in sales from Back To Bedlam, which proves that You're Beautiful was responsible for most of the success of the debut album. When Mariah, Madonna, Celine or Janet bomb, you don't hear the last about it, whereas James Blunt is bombing and nobody really cares. Proving that for most Americans, he is in fact a flash in the pan
Some people don't seem to realize that selling 2,5 million copies of an album in 2006 is HUGE.
Of course the new album sold less, since the first single flopped. Consequently, it's only gold which is decent, especially without a hit single !
Spiderpig
Manager

Return to Chart Analysis