US Billboard Charts (20/03/2010)

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby KamikazeHeart » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:04 pm

For CHR/pop:

13 12 KE$HA F/3OH!3 Blah Blah Blah 5408 5218 190 30.587

I think you're familiar with what the numbers mean. It's in the top 20 at Rhythmic.
KamikazeHeart
Groupie

Postby Nichu94 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:08 pm

jordi_89 wrote:
Vanacoring wrote:
ZiggyStardust wrote:Taio's number one hit "Break Your Heart" is a nice surprise this week on the Hot 100. It was one of my favourite songs of 2009 (and a big European hit last year).
Big hit in Europe, except in France : I think nobody know again this song here... It's cool to have an other song with a sound very European at the summit of the US chart.
and what about Spain? :lol: i don't think it didn't even enter the Top 50 Songs...
Same here in Italy :lol:
Nichu94
Superstar

Postby M3R7C » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:12 pm

Wow congrats for taio. I called this happening last week because I saw last tuesday the song flew up to number one on american itunes (and is still there 8 days later). 273,000 downloads though that is really good. It is amazing to see a black singer from the UK top the American charts.

As everybody else said though, without ludacris I doubt this would have hit number one. I do not know how much rap you guys all listen to, but I honestly can say I do not think any other rapper out there would have been better for the remix. Lil wayne seems to be the go-to guy in rap for hopping on RnB and pop songs, but wayne could not have handled this song like ludacris (even if he did only have 2 short verses).
M3R7C
Roadie

Postby Vanacoring » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:22 pm

Nichu94 wrote:
jordi_89 wrote:
Vanacoring wrote:
ZiggyStardust wrote:Taio's number one hit "Break Your Heart" is a nice surprise this week on the Hot 100. It was one of my favourite songs of 2009 (and a big European hit last year).
Big hit in Europe, except in France : I think nobody know again this song here... It's cool to have an other song with a sound very European at the summit of the US chart.
and what about Spain? :lol: i don't think it didn't even enter the Top 50 Songs...
Same here in Italy :lol:
Ah okay, so in fact it was just a hit in UK ! :wink: :lol:
Vanacoring
Legend

Postby ZiggyStardust » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:24 pm

Peak Chart Positions for "Break Your Heart" in Europe:

UK #1 for 3 weeks
Ireland #2
Sweden #6
Pan-European Chart #6
Norway #18

Well, maybe it was an exaggeration! :lol:

I apologize :P :oops:
10 Years of my DVD Collection (2000-2010)
ZiggyStardust
Manager

Postby Vanacoring » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:30 pm

It seems, Ziggy, it was a success in Europe but not in the South ! :wink: :lol:
Vanacoring
Legend

Postby klobasa » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:35 pm

"Break Your Heart" is also massive airplay hit in the Czech Republic. It's now 21 weeks in the chart and still at number 13
klobasa
Roadie

Postby rp662 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:55 pm

From Paul Grein's blog on Yahoo:
"Break Your Heart" by Taio Cruz featuring Ludacris vaults from #53 to #1 in its second week on Billboard's Hot 100, which sets a new record for the biggest move to #1 by an act with its first chart single. The old record was held by Kelly Clarkson's "A Moment Like This," which shot from #52 to #1 in October 2002..

Cruz is a British singer-songwriter-producer who has worked with such acts as Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, the Pussycat Dolls and Ke$ha. "Break Your Heart" logged three weeks at #1 in the U.K. in September and October. It's the second transatlantic #1 by a new act in the past few months, following Owl City's "Fireflies.".

This is the third time that Ludacris has been featured on a #1 Hot 100 hit. He was also featured on Usher's "Yeah!" (which also featured Lil Jon) and Fergie's "Glamorous." The rap superstar and movie actor has also had two #1 hits as a lead artist. He scored in 2003 with "Stand Up" (featuring Shawnna) and in 2006 with "Money Maker" (featuring Pharrell)..

"Break Your Heart" also vaults from #50 to #1 on this week's Hot Digital Songs chart. It sold 273,000 copies in its first full week of availability. It sold 31,000 copies last week, in approximately three days on the market, reports Silvio Pietroluongo, Billboard's Director of Charts.

Song Scorecard: "Empire State Of Mind" this week tops "No One" as Alicia Keys' biggest hit to date. The soulful valentine to the Big Apple, a collaboration with Jay-Z, has sold 3,297,000 digital copies. "No One" has sold 3,283,000. The success of "Empire State Of Mind" seems to have blunted the impact of Keys' songs from her album, The Element Of Freedom. "Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart," the biggest hit from Keys' album, has sold 471,000 copies. But Keys will likely be rewarded at the Grammys next year. I expect "Empire State Of Mind" to be in the running for Record and Song of the Year. It would be perfect timing if the show was back in New York next year, though it will probably remain in Los Angeles..

Train's "Hey, Soul Sister" tops the 2 million mark in paid downloads this week. The song was featured in a TV spot for Samsung 3-D TVs that aired repeatedly on Oscar night. This is Train's biggest digital seller to date. Its 2001 smash "Drops Of Jupiter (Tell Me)" has sold 1,193,000 copies..

Nickelback's 2006 hit "Far Away" and Sean Kingston's 2007 smash "Beautiful Girls" also top the 2 million mark. This is Nickelback's fourth song to reach 2 million, following "Rockstar," "Photograph" and "Gotta Be Somebody." It's Kingston's second, following "Fire Burning.".

Lynyrd Skynyrd's 1974 smash "Sweet Home Alabama" this week becomes the fifth pre-1990 song to reach the 2 million mark in paid downloads. The song was given a big boost when it was featured in the 2002 Reese Witherspoon movie of the same name and another when it was sampled in Kid Rock's 2008 smash "All Summer Long."
rp662
Navy

Postby rp662 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:00 pm

Week Ending March 7, 2010: Cruz Controls Hot 100
by Paul Grein in Chart Watch

"Break Your Heart" by Taio Cruz featuring Ludacris vaults from #53 to #1 in its second week on Billboard's Hot 100, which sets a new record for the biggest move to #1 by an act with its first chart single. The old record was held by Kelly Clarkson's "A Moment Like This," which shot from #52 to #1 in October 2002.

Cruz is a British singer-songwriter-producer who has worked with such acts as Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, the Pussycat Dolls and Ke$ha. "Break Your Heart" logged three weeks at #1 in the U.K. in September and October. It's the second transatlantic #1 by a new act in the past few months, following Owl City's "Fireflies".

This is the third time that Ludacris has been featured on a #1 Hot 100 hit. He was also featured on Usher's "Yeah!" (which also featured Lil Jon) and Fergie's "Glamorous." The rap superstar and movie actor has also had two #1 hits as a lead artist. He scored in 2003 with "Stand Up" (featuring Shawnna) and in 2006 with "Money Maker" (featuring Pharrell).

"Break Your Heart" also vaults from #50 to #1 on this week's Hot Digital Songs chart. It sold 273,000 copies in its first full week of availability. It sold 31,000 copies last week, in approximately three days on the market, reports Silvio Pietroluongo, Billboard's Director of Charts.

The music industry will be closely watching Blake Shelton's six-song EP Hillbilly Bone, which enters The Billboard 200 at #3. It's unusual for an established star to release an EP. These "mini-albums" are generally warm-ups for upcoming debut albums (Justin Bieber's My Time and Drake's So Far Gone), interim releases by acts with a young following (Miley Cyrus' The Time Of Our Lives) or collections of bonus songs that were added to expanded versions of albums (Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster).

Hillbilly Bone is none of these things: It's an experiment in releasing a smaller number of songs at a lighter price point (the EP was widely available in its first week for between $4.99 and $6.99). Shelton's EP is the first release in Warner Music's new "six pak" concept, in which select acts release six-song EPs in close intervals. Current plans call for Shelton to release one or maybe even two more EPs before the end of the year.

The music industry is trying to figure out how to counter a declining interest in full-length albums. Fans like to buy individual songs, but the industry's business model is predicated on album sales. So the idea behind the Shelton EP is to find a middle-ground that works for both parties.

It's too early to know if this experiment will work, but Hillbilly Bone is already Shelton's highest-charting title on The Billboard 200. It surpasses The Dreamer (#8 in 2003) and Pure B.S. (#8 in 2007). Hillbilly Bone sold 71,000 copies in its first week, which is Shelton's best sales week since The Dreamer debuted with sales of 77,000.

EPs can be highly successful. Cyrus' The Time Of Our Lives has sold 1,306,000 copies since its release in August. That's not far behind the sales of her previous full-length album, Breakout, which has sold 1,536,000 copies. Bieber's My World has sold 998,000 copies, Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster has sold 854,000 and Drake's So Far Gone has sold 401,000.

Only four other EPs in the past decade have topped the 800K mark in sales. They are: The Cheetah Girls TV soundtrack, which has sold 1,751,000 copies; Joss Stone's The Soul Sessions (972,000); Michael Buble's Let It Snow! (857,000) and 3 Doors Down's Another 700 Miles (800,000).

Hillbilly Bone is one of three country titles in the top five on this week's Billboard 200. Lady Antebellum's Need You Now returns to #1 for a third week. Danny Gokey's My Best Days opens at #4..

Need You Now is the first country album to spend its first six weeks at #1 or #2 since Shania Twain's Up! did it in November and December 2002. The title song has been listed in the top five on Hot Digital Songs for six weeks. This week, it tops the 2.5 million mark in paid downloads..

Danny Gokey is the third contestant from American Idol's Season 8 cast to land in the top 15, following Kris Allen (who hit #11) and Adam Lambert (who reached #3). While Gokey debuted higher on the chart than Allen did, Allen sold more copies in his first week (80,000, compared to 65,000 for Gokey). The reason? Album sales are heavier in November, when Allen debuted, than they are in March..

This is the first season in which three or more contestants reached the top 15 with their debut albums since Season 5, when six cast members scored. (In fact, they all reached the top 10.) They were Taylor Hicks, Katharine McPhee, Elliott Yamin, Chris Daughtry, Kellie Pickler and Bucky Covington. In only one other season did three contestants make the top 15 with their debut albums. In Season 3, Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken and Josh Gracin all reached that level of success..

Almost Alice, a companion album/soundtrack to the Tim Burton movie Alice In Wonderland, bows at #5. The movie, starring Johnny Depp, was #1 at the box-office this past weekend. The album features such hot pop/rock acts as Avril Lavigne, All American Rejects and Shinedown. The soundtrack to Walt Disney's original 1951 animated movie Alice In Wonderland cracked the top 10 in September 1951..

Danny Elfman's album of original score for the new Alice In Wonderland debuts at #89. Elfman has a long history of scoring films, only to watch as pop artists grab greater chart glory. In 1989, he had the score album from Batman, while Prince had the chart-topping soundtrack with an album that featured the hits "Batdance" and "Partyman.".

Lady Gaga's The Fame logs its 37th week in the top 10, which is the longest run in the top 10 for the debut album by a female artist since Avril Lavigne's 2002 album Let Go. This week "Telephone" (featuring Beyonce) becomes the hottest digital song from Lady Gaga's album. (I'm glad these two artists came together. Maybe now they can get a little exposure and publicity.).

Ke$ha's "TiK ToK" tops the 4 million mark in paid downloads in its 24th week. Only one other song in digital history has reached the 4 million mark this quickly. That's the Black Eyed Peas' "Boom Boom Pow," which rang the bell in just 23 weeks. (I have a little more to say about Ke$ha at the end of the column.).

Here's the low-down on this week's top 10 albums..

1. Lady Antebellum, Need You Now, 126,000. The album returns to #1 for a third week. Two songs from the album are listed on Hot Digital songs, topped by "Need You Now," which dips from #3 to #5.

2. Sade, Soldier Of Love, 79,000. The album slips to #2 after three weeks at #1. "Soldier Of Love" drops from #112 to #151 on Hot Digital Songs.

3. Blake Shelton, Hillbilly Bone, 71,000. This new entry is Shelton's third top 10 entry. It's the highest-charting EP since Miley Cyrus' The Times Of My Life hit #2 in September. "Hillbilly Bone" (featuring Trace Adkins) jumps from #84 to #66 on Hot Digital Songs.

4. Danny Gokey, My Best Days, 65,000. This new entry is the debut album by the singer who finished third on Season 8 of American Idol. "My Best Days Are Ahead Of Me" enters Hot Digital Songs at #63.

5. Various Artists, Almost Alice soundtrack, 58,000. This new entry is the week's #1 soundtrack. More than half of the copies (32,000) were sold digitally, making this the week's #1 Digital Album. Avril Lavigne's "Alice," which is heard over the end titles, vaults from #107 to #39 on Hot Digital Songs.

6. Lifehouse, Smoke & Mirrors, 54,000. This new entry is the rock band's fourth top 10 album. Nearly half of the copies (27,000) were sold digitally, making this the week's #2 digital album. Three songs from the album are listed on Hot Digital Songs, topped by "Halfway Gone," which jumps from #66 to #58.

7. Lady Gaga, The Fame, 49,000. The album slips from #5 to #7 in its 71st week. This is its 37th week in the top 10. Six songs from the expanded edition of the album are listed on Hot Digital Songs, including "Telephone" (featuring Beyonce), which holds at #14, and "Bad Romance," which drops from #11 to #17.

8. The Black Eyed Peas, The E.N.D., 46,000. The former #1 album drops from #4 to #8 in its 39th week. This is its 26th week in the top 10. Three songs from the album are listed on Hot Digital Songs, topped by "Imma Be," which dips from #1 to #3.

9. Raheem DeVaughn, The Love & War Masterpeace, 45,000. This new entry DeVaughn's second top 10 album in a row. Love Behind The Melody debuted at #5 in January 2008. No songs from the new album are listed on Hot Digital Songs.

10. Easton Corbin, Easton Corbin, 43,000. This new entry is the country singer's debut album. "A Little More Country Than That" jumps from #114 to #79 on Hot Digital Songs.

Six albums drop out of the top 10 this week. Johnny Cash's American VI: Ain't No Grave slips from #3 to #21, Lil Wayne's Rebirth drops from #6 to #12, .

Ke$ha's Animal drops from #7 to #13, Susan Boyle's I Dreamed A Dream drops from #8 to #18, Taylor Swift's Fearless drops from #9 to #17, and Justin Bieber's My World drops from #10 to #15.

Jason Derulo's debut album, Jason Derulo, debuts at #11. Four songs from the album are listed on Hot Digital Songs, including "In My Head" at #8 and "Ridin' Solo" at #19...DJ Khaled's Victory bows at #14. It's the rapper's fourth straight top 15 album..

The Crazy Heart soundtrack dips from #25 to #30, but should turn around next week in the wake of the film's two Oscar wins. Ryan Bingham's recording of "The Weary Kind," which was voted Best Original Song, enters Hot Digital Songs at #137. Bingham and T-Bone Burnett, who co-wrote the song, have both appeared on The Billboard 200 as artists. Burnett scored in 1983 with Proof Through The Night. Bingham made it in June with Roadhouse Sun.

Peter Gabriel's Scratch My Back bows at #26. Gabriel first charted in December 1973 as part of Genesis. He first charted on his own in March 1977...Michael Jackson's Number Ones drops from #53 to #58. It's #1 on the Catalog Albums chart for the 28th week..

Song Scorecard: "Empire State Of Mind" this week tops "No One" as Alicia Keys' biggest hit to date. The soulful valentine to the Big Apple, a collaboration with Jay-Z, has sold 3,297,000 digital copies. "No One" has sold 3,283,000. The success of "Empire State Of Mind" seems to have blunted the impact of Keys' songs from her album, The Element Of Freedom. "Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart," the biggest hit from Keys' album, has sold 471,000 copies. But Keys will likely be rewarded at the Grammys next year. I expect "Empire State Of Mind" to be in the running for Record and Song of the Year. It would be perfect timing if the show was back in New York next year, though it will probably remain in Los Angeles..

Train's "Hey, Soul Sister" tops the 2 million mark in paid downloads this week. The song was featured in a TV spot for Samsung 3-D TVs that aired repeatedly on Oscar night. This is Train's biggest digital seller to date. Its 2001 smash "Drops Of Jupiter (Tell Me)" has sold 1,193,000 copies..

Nickelback's 2006 hit "Far Away" and Sean Kingston's 2007 smash "Beautiful Girls" also top the 2 million mark. This is Nickelback's fourth song to reach 2 million, following "Rockstar," "Photograph" and "Gotta Be Somebody." It's Kingston's second, following "Fire Burning.".

Lynyrd Skynyrd's 1974 smash "Sweet Home Alabama" this week becomes the fifth pre-1990 song to reach the 2 million mark in paid downloads. The song was given a big boost when it was featured in the 2002 Reese Witherspoon movie of the same name and another when it was sampled in Kid Rock's 2008 smash "All Summer Long.".

Heads Up: Ludacris is expected to land his fourth #1 album next week with Battle Of The Sexes, which is projected to sell north of 120,000 copies. The rap star fell short of the top spot last time out when Theater Of The Mind debuted and peaked at #5 in November 2008. Gorillaz's Plastic Beach and Jimi Hendrix's Valleys Of Neptune will probably start with sales in the range of 100,000. Also due: Gary Allan's Get Off On The Pain, Broken Bells' Broken Bells and Serj Tankian's Elect The Dead Symphony..

Fun With Punctuation Marks: Ke$ha is at the forefront of a trend toward punctuation marks embedded in artist's names. Other current examples include 3OH!3 and P!nk. Think of the possibilities if this gimmick had been around in decades past: L!za M!nnell!, Ki$$, M+ma Cass, Pete B*st, Col. T%m Parker. (Some of these may require explanation: Liza is known for her breathless enthusiasm; KISS for being a money machine; Mama Cass for being plus-sized; Pete Best, who left the Beatles on the cusp of their breakthrough, for being an asterisk; and Col. Parker, Elvis' manager, for taking a percentage.).
rp662
Navy

Postby ZiggyStardust » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:36 pm

BIGGEST "MISTAKES" IN THE HISTORY OF THE US SINGLES CHART (The worst Number One Songs Ever)

Compiled by ZiggyStardust

1947 - Three Flames "Open The Door, Richard"

1950 - Eileen Barton "If I Knew You Were Comin I'd've Baked A Cake"

1953 - Patti Page "(How Much Is That) Doggie In The Window"

1963 - The Singing Nun "Dominique"

1966 - Sgt. Barry Sadler "Ballad Of The Green Berets"

1976 - Rick Dees & His Cast of Idiots "Disco Duck"

1989 - Milli Vanilli - Blame It On The Rain

1992 - The Heights "How Do You Talk To An Angel"

2006 - D4L "Laffy Taffy"

2007 - Mims "This Is Why I'm Hot"
10 Years of my DVD Collection (2000-2010)
ZiggyStardust
Manager

Postby MJDangerous » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:13 pm

I wonder how Hendrix reissues will perform next week. I guess Are You Experienced and Electric Ladyland can hold the top 2 positions on Catalog chart.
25 June 2009, the day the Music died
MJDangerous
Legend

Postby biscuits » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:30 pm

Hopefully Taio Cruz will stay in America for the remainder of his career.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby NothingFails » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:12 am

ZiggyStardust wrote:BIGGEST "MISTAKES" IN THE HISTORY OF THE US SINGLES CHART (The worst Number One Songs Ever)

2006 - D4L "Laffy Taffy"

Milli Vanilli is only there because they lipsynched. Blame It On The Rain was a good song IMO.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby FreeSpirit » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:14 am

rp662 wrote:
Fun With Punctuation Marks: Ke$ha is at the forefront of a trend toward punctuation marks embedded in artist's names. Other current examples include 3OH!3 and P!nk. Think of the possibilities if this gimmick had been around in decades past: L!za M!nnell!, Ki$$, M+ma Cass, Pete B*st, Col. T%m Parker. (Some of these may require explanation: Liza is known for her breathless enthusiasm; KISS for being a money machine; Mama Cass for being plus-sized; Pete Best, who left the Beatles on the cusp of their breakthrough, for being an asterisk; and Col. Parker, Elvis' manager, for taking a percentage.).
Sure, Kesha is at the forefront. :lol: P!nk has only "started" using it like what....10 years ago.?? :lol: :lol:
FreeSpirit
Manager

Postby GUS » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:33 am

NothingFails wrote:
ZiggyStardust wrote:BIGGEST "MISTAKES" IN THE HISTORY OF THE US SINGLES CHART (The worst Number One Songs Ever)

2006 - D4L "Laffy Taffy"

Milli Vanilli is only there because they lipsynched. Blame It On The Rain was a good song IMO.
Agree with Nothingfails (again!) I love Blame it on the rain (and it's been 20 years WOW)... Why "Crank that" or "Low" are not on that list? :lol:
GUS
Superstar

Postby HazelEyes » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:37 am

biscuits wrote:Hopefully Taio Cruz will stay in America for the remainder of his career.
Right :lol:
Alternative Survivor, vote here:
http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70738
HazelEyes
Manager

Postby rp662 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:13 am

Lady A Returns to No. 1; Blake Shelton Earns Top Debut
March 10, 2010

Editor: Keith Caulfield; Contributors: Gary Trust, Alex Vitoulis; Editorial Director: Silvio Pietroluongo

Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" returns to No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart, bumping Sade's "Soldier of Love" down to No. 2 ... A whopping six albums debut in the top 10 of the tally, the most since last October ... Who starts high? Why, Blake Shelton, "American Idol" contestant Danny Gokey, the "Almost Alice" compilation soundtrack, Lifehouse, Raheem DeVaughn and Easton Corbin ... Just missing the top 10 is Jason Derulo, whose self-titled debut starts at No. 11.

FLASH POINTS

• After a three-week break at No. 2 on the Billboard 200, Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" returns to No. 1 with 126,000 (up 6%), marking its third total week atop the list.

• It opened at No. 1 with 481,000 six weeks ago, and then held at No. 1 for a second week with 209,000. The set stepped aside for three weeks to the runner-up slot, playing second fiddle to Sade's "Soldier of Love." The latter set drops to No. 2 this week with 79,000 (down 37%).

• This is the first time an album has returned to No. 1 after a three week absence in over a year. The last time it happened was on the chart dated Dec. 27, 2008 when Taylor Swift's "Fearless" climbed from No. 2 to No. 1 in its fifth week on the chart. The set had debuted at No. 1 five weeks earlier with 592,000 and then let three albums take successive turns in the pole position before returning to the top. (Those three albums were Beyonce's "I Am ... Sasha Fierce," Kanye West's "808s and Heartbreak" and Britney Spears' "Circus.")

• "Fearless" would go on to rack a total of 11 non-consecutive weeks atop the Billboard 200.

• Lady A's bounce back to No. 1 is just the beginning of the big news this week on the chart. Six new albums arrive in the top 10 -- the most the tally has seen since the list dated Oct. 17, 2009 when eight started in the region.

• Right behind Sade, we see the bow of Blake Shelton's new "Hillbilly Bone" at No. 3 with 71,000. It's the country singer's sixth studio set and it earns his highest rank ever on the chart. Additionally, it claims his best sales week since his second album "The Dreamer" started with 77,000 at No. 8 in 2003.

• As mentioned last week, Shelton's album is a shorter-than-usual six-song effort that carries an attractive list price. It's the first offering in Warner Music's new "six pak" concept, where some of the company's acts aim to release value-priced six-song albums in close intervals. Shelton's plan is to issue at least one or two more six-song sets before the end of the year. (This would buck the tradition of an act dropping a full-length album every year or two.)

• Last week, Wal-Mart, Target and Amazon.com offered "Hillbilly's" physical CD for a sale price of $4.99 while Best Buy sold it at $6.99. Both the iTunes and Amazon MP3 stores were selling it for a higher price than some of their physical competitors, as the etailers had it listed for $5.99.

• Up next in the parade of debuts is last year's third-place finisher from "American Idol," Danny Gokey, who sees his debut set "My Best Days" land at No. 4 with 65,000. Over on the Top Country Albums chart, it starts at No. 3 behind Lady A and Shelton.

• Gokey's set follows the post-season eight "Idol" album releases from winner Kris Allen ("Kris Allen," No. 11 with an 80,000 debut), runner-up Adam Lambert ("For Your Entertainment," No. 3; 198,000) and fourth-place finisher Allison Iraheta ("Just Like You," No. 35; 32,000).

• The "Almost Alice" album, a soundtrack/companion set to the new Johnny Depp film "Alice in Wonderland," debuts at No. 5 with 58,000. The set boasts a variety of acts contributing songs that were inspired by the film's subject matter. It also sports the movie's end-titles track "Alice" by Avril Lavigne.

• Lifehouse's "Smoke and Mirrors" is right behind "Alice," entering at No. 6 with 54,000. The set is the fifth studio release from the band and was originally scheduled for a December 2009 bow. It's the act's fourth top 10 set and it arrives with their best sales week since its self-titled third album entered with 63,000 at No. 10 in 2005.

• Two long-running albums manage to cling to their top 10 perches, as Lady Gaga's "The Fame" slips two rungs to No. 7 (49,000; up 2%) while the Black Eyed Peas' "The E.N.D." falls four slots to No. 8 (46,000; down 7%).

• Closing out the top 10 are ... two more debuts! Raheem DeVaughn starts at No. 9 with his "The Love and MasterPeace" (45,000). His previous album, "Love Behind the Melody," debuted and peaked at No. 5 with 45,000 in 2008. Lastly, country singer Easton Corbin arrives with his self-titled full-length debut set at No. 10 with 43,000. Just missing the top 10 is the eponymous first album from Jason Derulo, bowing at No. 11 with 42,000.

• Overall album sales in this past chart week (ending March 7) totaled 6.27 million units, up 5% compared to the sum last week (5.99 million) and down 11% compared to the comparable sales week of 2009 (7.06 million).

• A LOOK AHEAD:

• As for next week's Billboard 200, look for Ludacris to possibly score his fourth No. 1 album as industry analysts suggest his new "Battle of the Sexes" could sell anywhere between 120,000 and 150,000 by week's end on Sunday, March 14.

• Ludacris' last album, "Theater of the Mind," debuted and peaked at No. 5 when it started with 213,000 according to Nielsen SoundScan in late 2008. If "Battle" triumphs next week at No. 1, it will follow his earlier chart-toppers: "Release Therapy" (2006), "The Red Light District" (2004) and "Chicken N Beer" (2003).

• The rapper/actor is on a roll, as the album's lead single "How Low" already hit No. 6 on the Billboard Hot 100. In addition, Justin Bieber's current single "Baby" -- which features Luda -- reached No. 5.

• After Ludacris, the next-highest entries on next week's Billboard 200 chart look to be Gorillaz's "Plastic Beach" and Jimi Hendrix's new studio set "Valleys of Neptune." Each may start with maybe 100,000 each.

MARKET WATCH

• Album units, current chart week: 6.72 million units
• Up 5% from last week's charts: 5.99 million units
• Down 11% from the comparable week in 2009: 7.06 million units
• This week: Only the No. 1 on the Billboard 200 sells more than 100,000 copies.
• This week last year on The Billboard 200: U2's "No Line On The Horizon" blasted in at No. 1 with 484,000 -- outselling the titles at Nos. 2 through 18 combined. The previous week's No. 1, Taylor Swift's "Fearless," fell to No. 2 with 52,000 (down 29%) while the second-highest debut arrived at No. 3 from Neko Case's "Middle Cyclone" (44,000).

A LOOK AHEAD

• Among the albums released this week, due on next week's charts: Ludacris' "Battle of the Sexes," Gorillaz's "Plastic Beach," Jimi Hendrix's "Valleys of Neptune," Gary Allan's "Get Off On the Pain," Serj Tankian's "Elect the Dead Symphony," Miguel Bose's "Cardio," Broken Bells' "Broken Bells," the "Disneymania 7" compilation and three variations of the Selena retrospective "La Leyenda."

• Next week's Billboard 200 competes with the same week in 2009 when: Kelly Clarkson netted her second No. 1 album as "All I Ever Wanted" premiered atop the chart with 255,000. The Dream opened at No. 2 with "Love Vs. Money" (151,000) while the previous week's No. 1 album -- U2's "No Line On the Horizon" -- fell to No. 3 with 132,000 (down 73%).
rp662
Navy

Postby Shadowplay » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:49 am

I like this one, it worked well in the Neil Jordan "Breakfast On Pluto" soundtrack!
Shadowplay
Manager

Postby weare » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 am

next week new No.1
Rude Boy VS Need You Now
weare
Superstar

Postby android » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Shadowplay wrote:

I like this one, it worked well in the Neil Jordan "Breakfast On Pluto" soundtrack!
:P Awwww I like the doggy song too.
android
Superstar

Postby Vini » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:23 pm

53 1 Break Your Heart - Taio Cruz featuring Ludacris
3 2 Need You Now - Lady Antebellum
2 3 BedRock - Young Money featuring Lloyd
8 4 Rude Boy - Rihanna
1 5 Imma Be - Black Eyed Peas
4 6 TiK ToK - Ke$ha
6 7 Hey, Soul Sister - Train
10 8 In My Head - Jason Derulo
5 9 Bad Romance - Lady Gaga
7 10 How Low - Ludacris
12 11 Telephone - Lady Gaga featuring Beyonce
9 12 Say Aah - Trey Songz featuring Fabolous
11 13 Blah Blah Blah - Ke$ha featuring 3OH!3
13 14 Baby - Justin Bieber featuring Ludacris
15 15 Carry Out - Timbaland featuring Justin Timberlake
16 16 Nothin' On You - B.o.B featuring Bruno Mars
14 17 Sexy Chick - David Guetta featuring Akon
17 18 According To You - Orianthi
19 19 Breakeven - The Script
18 20 Live Like We're Dying - Kris Allen
** 21 Never Let You Go - Justin Bieber
22 22 Tie Me Down - New Boyz featuring Ray J
25 23 All The Right Moves - OneRepublic
20 24 Replay - Iyaz
24 25 Whataya Want From Me - Adam Lambert
21 26 I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
26 27 Say Something - Timbaland featuring Drake
23 28 Empire State of Mind - Jay-Z featuring Alicia Keys
28 29 Haven't Met You Yet - Michael Buble
31 30 Today Was A Fairytale - Taylor Swift
27 31 Do You Remember - Jay Sean featuring Sean Paul & Lil Jon
30 32 Down - Jay Sean featuring Lil Wayne
** 33 Ridin' Solo - Jason Derulo
40 34 Hey Daddy (Daddy's Home) - Usher featuring Plies
29 35 Two Is Better Than One - Boys Like Girls featuring Taylor Swift
33 36 You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift
39 37 Heartbreak Warfare - John Mayer
32 38 Fireflies - Owl City
41 39 Life After You - Daughtry
37 40 On To The Next One - Jay-Z featuring Swizz Beatz
50 41 Hillbilly Bone - Blake Shelton featuring Trace Adkins
35 42 Whatcha Say - Jason Derulo
** 43 Lil Freak - Usher featuring Nicki Minaj
46 44 My Chick Bad - Ludacris featuring Nicki Minaj
38 45 Why Don't We Just Dance - Josh Turner
61 46 All The Way Turnt Up - Roscoe Dash featuring Soulja Boy Tell'em
57 47 American Honey - Lady Antebellum
52 48 Temporary Home - Carrie Underwood
62 49 A Little More Country Than That - Easton Corbin
55 50 Halfway Gone - Lifehouse
34 51 Hard - Rihanna featuring Jeezy
47 52 Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart - Alicia Keys
67 53 I Made It (Cash Money Heroes) - Kevin Rudolf featuring Birdman, Jay Sean & Lil Wayne
43 54 Naturally - Selena Gomez & The Scene
56 55 Highway 20 Ride - Zac Brown Band
54 56 Sex Therapy - Robin Thicke
60 57 That's How Country Boys Roll - Billy Currington
51 58 It Kills Me - Melanie Fiona
78 59 Young Forever - Jay-Z featuring Mr. Hudson
66 60 Lemonade - Gucci Mane
59 61 I Am - Mary J. Blige
58 62 The Truth - Jason Aldean
73 63 Everything To Me - Monica
69 64 'Til Summer Comes Around - Keith Urban
72 65 Solo - Iyaz
36 66 We Are The World 25: For Haiti - Artists For Haiti
71 67 Steady Mobbin' - Young Money featuring Gucci Mane
64 68 Unstoppable - Rascal Flatts
68 69 If You Only Knew - Shinedown
63 70 Let It Be - Kris Allen
** 71 Alice - Avril Lavigne
88 72 Neighbors Know My Name - Trey Songz
** 73 Ain't Back Yet - Kenny Chesney
** 74 Cryin' Like A Bitch - Godsmack
65 75 History In The Making - Darius Rucker
76 76 Someday - Rob Thomas
70 77 Soldier Of Love - Sade
** 78 Feel It - Three 6 Mafia Vs. Tiesto with Sean Kingston & Flo Rida
74 79 American Saturday Night - Brad Paisley
84 80 O Let's Do It - Waka Flocka Flame
79 81 When I Look At You - Miley Cyrus
** 82 My Best Days Are Ahead Of Me - Danny Gokey
95 83 Shots - LMFAO featuring Lil Jon
98 84 Gimmie That Girl - Joe Nichols
81 85 I Invented Sex - Trey Songz featuring Drake
86 86 Drop The World - Lil Wayne featuring Eminem
94 87 Fearless - Taylor Swift
93 88 Women Lie, Men Lie - Yo Gotti featuring Lil Wayne
-- 89 Follow Me Down - 3OH!3 featuring Neon Hitch
75 90 I Wanna Rock - Snoop Dogg
80 91 All I Do Is Win - DJ Khaled featuring T-Pain, Ludacris, Snoop Dogg & Rick Ross
** 92 Bulletproof - La Roux
90 93 One Day - Matisyahu
92 94 Just Breathe - Pearl Jam
87 95 Shut It Down - Pitbull featuring Akon
100 96 Backwoods - Justin Moore
83 97 Knockout - Lil Wayne featuring Nicki Minaj
** 98 The Man I Want To Be - Chris Young
** 99 Keep On Lovin' You - Steel Magnolia
** 100 Hell On The Heart - Eric Church
Last edited by Vini on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vini
Groupie

Postby Vanacoring » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:24 pm

weare wrote:next week new No.1
Rude Boy VS Need You Now
Exciting battle in perspective ! :P And RB #1 ! 8-)
Vanacoring
Legend

Postby falkoss76 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:16 pm

guys
US has made maaaaaaany mistakes recent years
things is gonna get worst
In some years from now we will miss songs like Taio's.
Maaany good songs are in the battle or bubbling of the Hot-100 and all this because of the too bad choices of Pop radio playlists and of course thier effect of Digital downloads.
Don't you see that the system wants that Gaga-style songs? all the system work for teenagers and i-phoners... !
System wants new stars- it's simple
But someone has to tell ' em that Gaga ar Bee's cds after allllll that huge airplays and promotion and awards etc have sold 5-6 millions each. Some years before artists like Celine, Mariah,Metallica, Usher, Shania, U2 etc were selling from 20-30 millions with the same promition!
falkoss76
Roadie

Postby Dreams » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Can someone post the Billboard 200 please? :)
Dreams
Manager

Postby skapunk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:43 pm

falkoss76 wrote:guys

But someone has to tell ' em that Gaga ar Bee's cds after allllll that huge airplays and promotion and awards etc have sold 5-6 millions each. Some years before artists like Celine, Mariah,Metallica, Usher, Shania, U2 etc were selling from 20-30 millions with the same promition!
Are you new to all this?

Music sales are going digital. If you'll add Gaga total record sales with this album, its comes to around approx. 26 million records in the US (22 million singles + 4 million albums). So the money she has made from this era is equivalent to all those albums you are talking about which may sell 10 million, but hardly that many singles.

And as it is recession and other things count a little..

Anyways, for me Billboard disasters have to include "Crank That","Crack A Bottle"
skapunk
Superstar

Return to Chart Analysis