Blogger.com: Real Life And Real Charts

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby CZB » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:59 pm

Blondini wrote:Steps slipped in at 72 a week early once.
While I don't think that would have affected the peak position of "It's The Way You Make Me Feel", a year later there was an unluckier example:

http://www.chartstats.com/songinfo.php?id=29620

I don't recall the exact figures that were quoted at the time, but that charted a week ahead of its official release at number 68, with sales of about 800. Then it climbed to number two, missing number one by only about 500 copies - so it could be concluded that if the early buyers had had to wait for it, it would have been a number one.
CZB
Legend

Postby Robbie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:25 pm

Blondini wrote:Steps slipped in at 72 a week early once. http://www.chartstats.com/songinfo.php?id=28756
Faith No More's version of Easy ranked below the top 75 a week early too - both post-Christmas releases.
Steps could have had those sales removed from the chart had the label requested them but they happened on a Saturday after a long holiday weekend when the record business was probably half asleep (or worse!).

Faith No More's version of Easy entered at #78, the week after Snap's Exterminate entered at #83, but I don't think the chart rules about disallowing sales were in place back then. If they were then neither label decided to use them...
Robbie
Superstar

Postby Gambo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:03 pm

Robbie wrote:I have a feeling this chart rule first saw the light of day in the mid 1990s when Monday releases became an agreed industry standard between labels, distributors and record shops. Its biggest "casualty" was Do they Know Its Christmas by Band Aid 20 which was removed from the upper reaches of the midweek chart three times in one week before some Saturday sales somehow let it sneak into the top 200 at #144 (? I think it was #144).
It was indeed No 144; W/E 4 Dec '04. Although of course that was the compressed Top 200 position excluding singles that fell foul of the then-restrictions.
Gambo
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:56 am

Just to let you know that I'm taking requests for posting old charts on the blog for various weeks (if I have them DTP). I've already posted some from the 1950's and one from 1984, plus some best sellers lists. So if you want your birthday chart just let me know!
Remember it's the week starting date I use not the week ending (all Sunday dates).
You can post requests here, if you find it easier to log in, but I can't post any charts here.
I also do hit singles book style entries for Artist Names. Act names A & W for the 90's are complete, the others are back to 1995 from Dec 1999.
These can be posted also.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby wranglerjeans » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:39 pm

As BBC4 is about to launch TOTP 1985, this excellent website which you may or may not know about has these alternative charts to pore over. Having perused these on the Real Chart Record Business site, all singles listed in Guinness Top 75 or in 1983 to 1991 positions 76 to 100 lists on UK Music Mix Forum have not been included here. Therefore, the following listed below did not chart in Top 100 charts which ran from January 1983 to April 1991. Data listed by debut date, act, title and in brackets where applicable Billboard chart position or UK Independent chart position.

06/01/85 Culture Club – Mistake No.3 (US33) (According to Martin C. Strong’s ‘Great Discography’ books and to my reckoning, this was never released as UK single, but may have been an import)
06/01/85 Sheena Easton – Strut (US7)
06/01/85 Lorraine McKane – Let The Night Take The Blame
06/01/85 Flying Lizards – Dizzy Miss Lizzy
06/01/85 Elton John – In Neon (US38) (According to Martin C. Strong’s ‘Great Discography’ books and to my reckoning, this was never released as UK single, but may have been an import)
13/01/85 Cyndi Lauper – Money Changes Everything (US27)
13/01/85 Cook Da Books – Golden Age
20/01/85 Jesus & Mary Chain – Upside Down (IND1)
20/01/85 Billy Bragg – St. Swithin’s Day (IND2)
27/01/85 Mutant Rockers – Classical Scratch
27/01/85 Kim Carnes – Invitation To Dance (68)
27/01/85 Burlitz – Love Is The Drug
03/02/85 Scary Thieves – Dying In Vain
03/02/85 Sideways Look – Till The Bitter End
10/02/85 Chaz Jankel – No.1
10/02/85 Farmers’ Boys – I Built This World
24/02/85 Third World – Sense Of Purpose
24/02/85 Jonzun Crew – Gonna Give You Lovin’
03/03/85 Claudia – Do You Wanna Dance
03/03/85 Cars – Why Can’t I Have You (US33)
10/03/85 James – Hymn From A Village (IND2)
24/03/85 Jacksons – Wait
24/03/85 Clannad – Scarlet Inside
31/03/85 JoBoxers – Is This Really The First Time (You’ve Been In Love)
07/04/85 Apollonia 6 – Blue Limousine
07/04/85 Barbara Dickson – Still In The Game
07/04/85 Marilyn – Baby U Left Me (In The Cold)
21/04/85 Freeez – That Beats My Patience
21/04/85 Red Guitars – Be With Me (IND1)
28/04/85 Billy Joel – Keep The Faith (US18) (According to Martin C. Strong’s ‘Great Discography’ books and to my reckoning, this was never released as UK single, but may have been an import)
05/05/85 March Violets – Deep (IND2)
05/05/85 Toto Coelo – Girl’s Night Out
12/05/85 Stylistics – Give A Little Love For Love
12/05/85 New Edition – Cool It Now (US4)
12/05/85 Jermaine Jackson – Dynamite (US15)
12/05/85 Tom Robinson – Prison
12/05/85 David Lee Roth – Just A Gigolo (US12)
12/05/85 Kenny Everett – Snot Rap II (Rapping Again)
19/05/85 Re-Flex – How Much Longer
19/05/85 Loft – Up The Hill & Down The Slope (IND3)
19/05/85 Whitney Houston – Someone For Me
26/05/85 Men At Work – Everything I Need (47)
26/05/85 REO Speedwagon – One Lonely Night (US19)
26/05/85 Kenny Loggins – Vox Humana (US29)
26/05/85 Til’ Tuesday – Voices Carry (US8)
02/06/85 Three Johns – Death Of The European (IND3)
09/06/85 Nina Hagen – Universal Radio
16/06/85 Dr. & Medics – Happy But Twisted (IND2)
16/06/85 Mari Wilson – Would You Dance With A Stranger
30/06/85 Cyndi Lauper – The Goonies ‘R’ Good Enough (US10)
30/06/85 Nolans – Goodbye Nothin’ To Say
14/07/85 Angelic Upstarts – Brighton Bomb (IND4)
14/07/85 Coward Brothers – The People’s Limousine (IND2)
14/07/85 Men They Couldn’t Hang – Iron Masters (IND1)
21/07/85 James – Village Fire (IND3)
28/07/85 Hazel O’Connor & Chris Thompson – Push & Shove
28/07/85 Colourbox – The Moon Is Blue (IND3)
Last edited by wranglerjeans on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wranglerjeans
Groupie

Postby Passing_Strang » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:42 pm

This has to be The Network Chart information as published by the "No. 1" magazine, right?

Nice to see some familiar names charting, however briefly - The Cars, Men at Work, Flying Lizards, Scary Thieves, Chas Jankel, Toto Coelo, Re-Flex etc.

Please keep this thread going, much appreciated! :D
Passing_Strang
Personal Assistant

Postby tonyiow » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Passing_Strang wrote:This has to be The Network Chart information as published by the "No. 1" magazine, right?

Nice to see some familiar names charting, however briefly - The Cars, Men at Work, Flying Lizards, Scary Thieves, Chas Jankel, Toto Coelo, Re-Flex etc.

Please keep this thread going, much appreciated! :D
saves me doing it . are these not the airplay charts ?
tonyiow
Groupie

Postby Shakyfan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:33 pm

Do you mean the "Real Chart" discussed here >>>> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74100" target="_blank ?

EDIT: You do! It's a complete fantasy as you'll work out for yourself if you read through that other topic....
Shakyfan
Manager

Postby tonyiow » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:37 pm

in neon by elton was released here as the b side of breaking hearts in feb 85 got to number59
its burlitz with an l love is a drug/baby come around july 85 on spartan released as a picture single.
the billy joel record was released here as a 12 inch in june 85 i have a copy.
im stuck on the culture club one.
hope this helps
tonyiow
Groupie

Postby wranglerjeans » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:49 pm

I will attempt to keep up with this research. Thankyou for the kind comments. I have updated the Buritz / Burlitz name too. I have managed to locate it now on 45cat. The link you want is the same as what has been discussed elsewhere, yes.

http://therealchart.blogspot.co.uk/p/cl ... harts.html
Last edited by wranglerjeans on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wranglerjeans
Groupie

Postby setg1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:49 pm

wranglerjeans wrote:20/01/85 KC & Sunshine Band – Dance To The Music (Cannot locate this track anywhere on the internet on in my music books)
I think it's this 1982 B-side. I can't see why it would have charted in 1985, though. I think the link posted by Shakyfan tells everything you need to know...
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby tonyiow » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:00 pm

yes the kc song was a picture single released in 1982 and a b side. there is was a book by a guy called terry hounsome called single file. which is rare out of print extortionate and im lucky to have one. this guy ripped all his info from a series of books called collectible 45s/eps 3 ep books 4 45s books they are slightly easier to get .and also had paul pelletier involved and his guides are very very useful.
tonyiow
Groupie

Postby wranglerjeans » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 pm

The charts are nevertheless still interesting although this chart has never really been in the domain unlike NME, Melody Maker, Disc, Top Pop Weekly, Record Retailer, Record Mirror but it gives you a chance to locate other releases from that time. I have actually compiled the same information from January - August 1978, 1980 and 1981 for Real Chart and Record Business / Superpop Charts 1979 to 1982 incidentally. I do have the copy of Terry Hounsome's book Single File and yes it is listed as a B-side from October 1982, so why it charted in 1985 is a mystery!
wranglerjeans
Groupie

Postby Passing_Strang » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:24 pm

If it's the info from that laughable "real chart" then I think you don't need to bother. And I kind of suggest you don't because it can give the impression it's not a senseless fiction but a somehow valid chart. You'd better save your time for something useful - like the Record Business info. Now that'd be really interesting!
Passing_Strang
Personal Assistant

Postby trebor » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:52 pm

#Mess ( :wink: ) :lol:

@wranglerjeans
Which chart are you referring to? "The Real Chart" or the "Network Chart"?

(Will lock this topic later on and split and merge the post into the relative already existing threads)
trebor
Legend

Postby Graham76man » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:32 pm

trebor wrote:#Mess ( :wink: ) :lol:

@wranglerjeans
Which chart are you referring to? "The Real Chart" or the "Network Chart"?

(Will lock this topic later on and split and merge the post into the relative already existing threads)
Nice that UKMIX is into censorship on unproven grounds. :wink:

Just tell the people who don't except the Real Chart to keep none factual stuff out.
Graham76man
Manager

Postby trebor » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:54 pm

@Graham
I'm sorry if you are assuming that anything gets censored (unless it is in violation of the forum rules).
The two topics already have their own threads and there is no need for this one to rehash old issues.
Some questions raised here are legitimate and other statements could (and should) have been phrased more tastefully.
No user has attacked you personally but if you feel so, please report the posts and an investigation will start.
Anyhow, nothing will be censored and the discussion shall be continued once the posts are relayed to the appropriate topics (The Real Chart & The Network Chart).
Should I have misinterpreted your post please let me know.
trebor
Legend

Postby Graham76man » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Source of the Culture Club track or at least to prove you could get it in the UK. Plus the Elton Track!
I haven't yet located the KC track, but tracks are never put in for the sake of it. It's just that a lot of time has passed since I sorted out those 1985 charts and my papers were stored out of the way. Since I don't need them now so I have to dig them out.
Record Mirror 22 December 1984
Graham76man
Manager

Postby wranglerjeans » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:46 pm

I am referring in this instance to Real Chart from the link above. I wouldn't consider these charts to be "laughable" as they do list some new tracks and bring less familiar tracks to ones attention, but free opinion is allowed!
wranglerjeans
Groupie

Postby Shakyfan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:27 pm

wranglerjeans wrote:I am referring in this instance to Real Chart from the link above. I wouldn't consider these charts to be "laughable" as they do list some new tracks and bring less familiar tracks to ones attention, but free opinion is allowed!
Have you read through the full discussion?? It's complete fantasy! A "chart" compiled by persons unknown using a completely unknown method!
Shakyfan
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:50 pm

Shakyfan wrote:
wranglerjeans wrote:I am referring in this instance to Real Chart from the link above. I wouldn't consider these charts to be "laughable" as they do list some new tracks and bring less familiar tracks to ones attention, but free opinion is allowed!
Have you read through the full discussion?? It's complete fantasy! A "chart" compiled by persons unknown using a completely unknown method!
LOOK IF I ATTACKED THE OFFICIAL CHART on that thread I WOULD BE BANNED.

NOW THAT IS FANTASY
A chart made up by people who employed by the Industry they work for using figures made up from people listening to 30 seconds of a record! and compare it with someone who buys a record for, 59p 99p or several pounds.

I am really annoyed with the person who split this discussion off from a separate thread. It was a comparison between the Real Charts from 1985 and those made by the Offal Charts Company. He should have removed the comments from those people attacking the person who created it, leaving only those that were relevant to the thread. Which those were not.
Similar threads were made for the Network, Gallup (before they got the National Chart) and Record Business. None of these charts were official, the charts were also made by dubious persons. None of them were merged into a general discussion thread.

I didn't create the thread either.
The person has the cheek to say I can make a complaint. He should go back to making the mints!

The persons doing it were simply slagging the person who created the thread in the first place.

You can't slag off Madonna or Mariah, but you can slag off Graham Appleyard's Real Chart on UKMIX or anyone who thinks it is useful :roll:

I give up on UKMIX :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?
Graham76man
Manager

Postby kingofskiffle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:32 pm

I'd like to point out that we do merge/combine topics when they are essentially the same. New readers can then find things more easily and so add to the general discussion. Doing so means that topics get locked, posts moved, and then unlocked.

To some specific points - it is possible to be negative towards Madonna if done in the right way. In the wrong way and then you get banned/shouted at/etc. As is appropriate.

I'd like to remind everybody that we should all be nice to others - irrespective of viewpoint. If people believe that something is wrong they should comment to a moderator via PM.
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby Shakyfan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:51 pm

Graham76man wrote:A chart made up by people who employed by the Industry they work for using figures made up from people listening to 30 seconds of a record! and compare it with someone who buys a record for, 59p 99p or several pounds.
But at least they explain how they calculate the chart (I agree that listening to a song is in no way comparable to buying it). My problem with the Real Chart (and I'd imagine the same applies to several others who have posted here) is that there is no justification for how it is worked out.

My criticisms are solely against the chart - away from that I have read many of your other posts and you seem knowledgeable and make some good points.
Last edited by Shakyfan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shakyfan
Manager

Postby Passing_Strang » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:22 pm

Graham76man wrote:The persons doing it were simply slagging the person who created the thread in the first place.
No way it's a "simple slagging". You proudly present some dubious list, call it "The Real Chart" and then completely and consistently fail on all accounts to explain its origins and reliability, instead flooding this thread with annoying rants, grandstanding and often truly inane remarks which, cut short, amount to nothing much beyond "the chart is Real because I present it". So it's not a "simple slagging". It's a completely justified slagging. People generally don't like it when somebody tries to fool them, especially when it's done in such an aggressive manner.

Really, you should've stopped at sharing the Record Business/Network charts. That's your major contribution that won't ever go unnoticed and unpraised. The "Real Chart" tomfoolery, on the other hand, is just pathetic and, yes, laughable. Still can't fully believe you weren't taking the piss.

Maybe I'm a bit harsh but I'm really offended by such things and find it hard to contain.
Passing_Strang
Personal Assistant

Postby Graham76man » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:47 am

I have explained the chart.
Here:
http://therealchart.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-is-real-chart.html

With supplementary information here:
http://therealchart.blogspot.co.uk/p/strange-but-true.html

The point I was making is that I did not start the discussion on the 1985 charts. It was started by an independent person. In the same way that other charts were and are discussed regardless of how they are compiled. The moderators stepped in when the same people started up the hate campaign. It is also well known that several moderators also are known not to like the idea of any discussion of the Real Chart, plus even make snide remarks at me and the chart.
However I have come to expect this from this site. A site that proudly and public boasts about the people who are banned even only for a week. And NEVER removes such posts. Something I have pointed out in the past. Something I think sums up the democratic nature of UKMIX. But others may disagree.

I actually rarely mention the Real Chart on this site now, I'm not into converting people's views on it. I don't want to talk about on this site anyway. So I couldn't care less if the moderators want to lock the thread. As I said I didn't start it. Either of them.
The only thing that bothered me was that respect was not given to another member who started the thread with the intention of comparing charts. Unlike previous threads he had started with other none Offal charts.
Graham76man
Manager

Return to Chart Analysis